Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Davec, July 7, 2019, 9:05pm
Sky Sports News reporting we have had a bid rejected from Dundalk for right back Cameron Dummigan
Posted by: mariner91, July 7, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 1
Would be surprised if we paid money for a right back? In my opinion Hendrie is one of our best players! Would seem a bit wasteful paying money for a full back when you've already got a very good one for the level you're at.
Posted by: Davec, July 7, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from mariner91
Would be surprised if we paid money for a right back? In my opinion Hendrie is one of our best players! Would seem a bit wasteful paying money for a full back when you've already got a very good one for the level you're at.

Exactly how I feel.
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 7, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 3
Ex Burnley so plausible.
Posted by: Alfie, July 7, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 4
Bid doesn't necessarily mean money - could be a sell on clause, friendly, player etc.
Posted by: LH, July 7, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 5
We need to get him tomorrow really cause any later and he’ll be cup tied for the Champions League.
Posted by: lukeo, July 7, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 6

GRIMSBY'S DUMMIGAN BID REJECTED

Sky sources understand Grimsby Town have had bid for Dundalk FC full-back Cameron Dummigan rejected.

The League of Ireland champions are also in discussions with two other League One clubs regarding the sale of the former Norther Ireland U21 captain.

He will be part of Dundalk's Champions League campaign which begins on Wednesday against FC Riga.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 7, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 7
23 years old but signed a long term deal with Dundalk in February so looks like a fee will be involved
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 7, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 8
Plays in various positions, as does Hendrie and ex Burnley so fits on several levels.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 7, 2019, 9:46pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Welwynmariner
23 years old but signed a long term deal with Dundalk in February so looks like a fee will be involved

Irrelevant anyway, if there are two other clubs interested then you know damn well he's not going to choose GTFC

Posted by: Superdan147, July 7, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from mariner91

Surely we want 2 players in every position? And hopefully we can get the 2 best players for every position. Hendrie is one of our best players but we can’t rely on him playing for 50 odd games!
Posted by: Poojah, July 7, 2019, 10:17pm; Reply: 11
Interesting one if true. Not first choice at Dundalk; I don’t know what the general standard of the Irish League is like but they are the champions and it seems Pat Hoban is a regular starter which probably gives you some idea.

General opinion from Oldham fans appears to be: decent player but injury prone. Evidently Jolley will know the player well, but it does seem an odd one to be spending cold, hard cash on.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 7, 2019, 10:52pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Poojah
Interesting one if true. Not first choice at Dundalk; I don’t know what the general standard of the Irish League is like but they are the champions and it seems Pat Hoban is a regular starter which probably gives you some idea.

Regular starter and scorer of 29 goals last season!
Posted by: mariner91, July 7, 2019, 11:27pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Superdan147

Surely we want 2 players in every position? And hopefully we can get the 2 best players for every position. Hendrie is one of our best players but we can’t rely on him playing for 50 odd games!

So you'd be wanting a portion of the budget to be spent on a transfer fee for a back up right back? Whilst we're still missing a centre mid and a centre back as a bare minimum it seems a strange area of the team to splash the cash on when we already have a very good right back.
Posted by: Mariner93er, July 7, 2019, 11:34pm; Reply: 14
Splash the cash? Let's not get dramatic here, we could have offered peanuts for him.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 7, 2019, 11:36pm; Reply: 15
People seem to believe it’s around the 20k mark.
Posted by: mariner91, July 8, 2019, 12:01am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Mariner93er
Splash the cash? Let's not get dramatic here, we could have offered peanuts for him.

We rarely ever spend money on a transfer fee and that's probably because we don't have much money to spend in total. This lad might be a world beater but he's not a starter for a team in Ireland where the standard is pretty low. Perhaps he's quite versatile and can cover a few positions but if that's the case, I still find it odd spending money on a utility player who's struggling for a game in Ireland. And if he's not someone who can cover a few positions, then it's even stranger given that we've got a very good right back already. Why spend cash on that area of the team when we've got other areas that are more in need of strengthening?
Posted by: Davec, July 8, 2019, 7:06am; Reply: 17
His 7 appearances for Dundalk are all off the bench and in those 7 games he's only played a grand total of 30 minutes
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 8, 2019, 8:09am; Reply: 18
Quoted from lukeo

GRIMSBY'S DUMMIGAN BID REJECTED

Sky sources understand Grimsby Town have had bid for Dundalk FC full-back Cameron Dummigan rejected.

The League of Ireland champions are also in discussions with two other League One clubs regarding the sale of the former Norther Ireland U21 captain.

He will be part of Dundalk's Champions League campaign which begins on Wednesday against FC Riga.

Gutted I missed our promotion!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, July 8, 2019, 8:48am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Superdan147

Surely we want 2 players in every position? And hopefully we can get the 2 best players for every position. Hendrie is one of our best players[b][/b] but we can’t rely on him playing for 50 odd games!

He is one of our best players who can also play left back and, as against Crewe, can play a holding midfield role.
Posted by: sam gy, July 8, 2019, 9:28am; Reply: 20
Breaking news guys: players can play in more than one position.

We lost two fullbacks in Hall-Johnson and Fox and only have two recognised full backs in the squad. We need more, whether they’re predominantly right or left sided.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 8, 2019, 2:15pm; Reply: 21
Well apparently League One clubs after him too so he must have something... But if that the case unlikely to choose us anyway.
Posted by: ScottyUTM, July 8, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 22
Hendrie has been used as a left back before in the past, maybe jolleys plan is to use him there with ring as a backup?? This would mean we need a new right back?
Posted by: Kris2, July 8, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rik e B
Well apparently League One clubs after him too so he must have something... But if that the case unlikely to choose us anyway.

Don't use your logic here. There will be crosses  ;D

Why wouldn't he come here? We have beautiful locations all along the river Freshney right next to the local mall with the trendiest shops any young man could want! Not to mention the trendy night spots with hot Grimsby tail wall to wall.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 8, 2019, 2:36pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Kris2

Don't use your logic here. There will be crosses  ;D

Why wouldn't he come here? We have beautiful locations all along the river Freshney right next to the local mall with the trendiest shops any young man could want! Not to mention the trendy night spots with hot Grimsby tail wall to wall.

I don't know. Now that Gullies has gone, the Town's gone right downhill.

No more staggering out The Barge and up Gullies for the last couple of hours ;)
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 8, 2019, 2:46pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Rik e B
Well apparently League One clubs after him too so he must have something...  

Sounds like agent talk to me.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 8, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

I don't know. Now that Gullies has gone, the Town's gone right downhill.

No more staggering out The Barge and up Gullies for the last couple of hours ;)

Had many a good night Gullies, it was the first night club I went to. Thanks to Maggie that were most of YTS money went, and of course GTFC.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, July 8, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 27
I'm thinking someone is in for Hendrie. He's quality and as others have said, I don't see us paying a fee for a player to be his understudy.
Posted by: kamakazebear, July 8, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Abdul19

Regular starter and scorer of 29 goals last season!

Not saying Hoban would have ripped up the league but in his defence, he came into a settled team mid-season behind arguably the two best strikers in the league. Was always going to be hard for him to settle in.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 8, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from kamakazebear

Not saying Hoban would have ripped up the league but in his defence, he came into a settled team mid-season behind arguably the two best strikers in the league. Was always going to be hard for him to settle in.

At the time I think the side changed pretty much every week and Bogle was in the middle of a 1 goal in 6 months run. (Hoban started 6 of his first 7 games at the club)

I'm guessing he just likes home.
Posted by: AidansArmy99, July 14, 2019, 3:10am; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Plays in various positions, as does Hendrie and ex Burnley so fits on several levels.

He can play CB but he's only 5'10 which isn't great
Posted by: AidansArmy99, July 14, 2019, 3:12am; Reply: 31
Quoted from sam gy
Breaking news guys: players can play in more than one position.

We lost two fullbacks in Hall-Johnson and Fox and only have two recognised full backs in the squad. We need more, whether they’re predominantly right or left sided.

Yes but for a player who can play in CB , being 5'10 isn't great
Posted by: Grantley, July 14, 2019, 6:07am; Reply: 32
Hall-Johnson is/was 5’9.
Posted by: lukeo, July 14, 2019, 6:40am; Reply: 33
Size clearly doesn't effect him if he's mannaged to become a pro and play that position in a professional team
Posted by: Bigdog, July 14, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 34
Quoted from AidansArmy99

Yes but for a player who can play in CB , being 5'10 isn't great

Not ideal but..

Cannavaro 5' 9"
Puyol 5' 10"
Baresi 5' 9"
Bobby Moore 5' 10"
Posted by: Maringer, July 14, 2019, 10:25am; Reply: 35
Players were a good deal smaller in the days of Baresi and Moore, but the other two are good examples. You can add Andy Todd to that list. It's certainly easier for central defenders who are physically more imposing, not least because referees tend to let them shove forwards around with impunity, but it's not the be all and end all of defending.

Oddly enough, I'd say the reverse is true for full-backs who tend to be a bit cumbersome if too tall. I'd personally say 5'10" is about the ideal maximum for a full-back!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 14, 2019, 11:31am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Maringer
Players were a good deal smaller in the days of Baresi and Moore, but the other two are good examples. You can add Andy Todd to that list. It's certainly easier for central defenders who are physically more imposing, not least because referees tend to let them shove forwards around with impunity, but it's not the be all and end all of defending.

Oddly enough, I'd say the reverse is true for full-backs who tend to be a bit cumbersome if too tall. I'd personally say 5'10" is about the ideal maximum for a full-back!

Interesting point that. Dean Crombie was LB but for a long time before that he was CB until he swapped with Kevin Moore, who was the reverse. Both were about the same height, about 5'10".

On the other hand, wingers often make good full backs and tend to be smaller. John McDermott played LW when he started. Tony Ford was a more than decent RB, Terry Cooper was another winger.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 14, 2019, 3:24pm; Reply: 37
Mascherano is 5' 9" and didn't do too bad at CB for Barcelona.

If you are good enough, other statistics don't matter. Danny Rose at Mansfield is 5' 8" but out jumps many defenders at this level.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), July 14, 2019, 4:27pm; Reply: 38
Kev Moore won everything in the air and got distance on it. Sadly, it probably contributed to illness and untimely death.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 14, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Bigdog

Not ideal but..

Cannavaro 5' 9"
Puyol 5' 10"
Baresi 5' 9"
Bobby Moore 5' 10"

Wouldn't cut it against Harry Cardwell though
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 14, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Abdul19

Wouldn't cut it against Harry Cardwell though

Harry Cardwell wouldn't cut against Jimmy Cranky from what I've seen of him so far!!
Posted by: livosnose, July 14, 2019, 6:50pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Harry Cardwell wouldn't cut against Jimmy Cranky from what I've seen of him so far!!

In the style of the late , great Bobby Robson “ who does
he play for ?”
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 14, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from livosnose

In the style of the late , great Bobby Robson “ who does
he play for ?”

Well, he's a woman who dresses as school boy, so I'd say Lincoln!!
Posted by: AidansArmy99, July 15, 2019, 12:35am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Grantley
Hall-Johnson is/was 5’9.

Fair enough and I got the positions wrong as he can play right mid
Posted by: AidansArmy99, July 15, 2019, 12:39am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Bigdog

Not ideal but..

Cannavaro 5' 9"
Puyol 5' 10"
Baresi 5' 9"
Bobby Moore 5' 10"

Tbf I think it's coz Sowunmi was 6'6 so it is a massive  difference and actually i'm 5'6 and my position is CB which some people around me thought how am I but my mates know I can jump pretty high so yes hight doesn't matter but I was just thinking like you said you, it's not ideal
Posted by: AidansArmy99, July 15, 2019, 12:43am; Reply: 45
Quoted from lukeo
Size clearly doesn't effect him if he's mannaged to become a pro and play that position in a professional team

That is true and I'm quite small and my position is CB but I never said can't be that height I just said it isn't great specially when you're linked to a 6 ft 6 CB one minute to a 5'10 CB which is a massive difference
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 6:54am