Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Brazilnut, July 2, 2019, 12:15pm
Been appointed Bury manager......good luck to him
Posted by: GtfcGarner, July 2, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 1
Hope they have strong neck muscles in Manchester
Posted by: fishyfanny, July 2, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 2
Great player and has a good reputation as a coach. I can only wish him the very best of luck.
Posted by: Hagrid, July 2, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 3
A club who will be lucky to start the season
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 2, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 4
Good bloke, good coach. I hope he proves a few people wrong but to be honest I think he is best as a coach not a manager.
Posted by: Mendonca1995, July 2, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 5
Good luck to wilko but will he get paid ???
Posted by: psgmariner, July 2, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 6
Bet their fans are made up with that appointment!

Edit. As I suspected!

https://twitter.com/buryfcofficial/status/1146007892950212608
Posted by: forza ivano, July 2, 2019, 12:55pm; Reply: 7
2-1 on to get relegated!

maaclesfield incidentally are 9-2, which seems better value given their problems (we're sill 3rd favourites at 5-1)
Posted by: GrimRob, July 2, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 8
Strange choice, he's been caretaker a few times but never been given the job (although caretakers often do get given a chance). He seems born to coach not to manage to me.
Posted by: mimma, July 2, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 9
He might have been the only one daft enough to apply!

Got to admire his guts at taking it on. I wish him all the best. Hope they finish above the wimps.
Posted by: monkeyboy, July 2, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 10
Think his stint as assistant with Slade really tainted his reputation, i do personally think he will do ok.

Think Slade has a lot to answer for.
Posted by: psgmariner, July 2, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 11
He is mates with the rather unpopular owner apparently.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 2, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from monkeyboy
Think his stint as assistant with Slade really tainted his reputation, i do personally think he will do ok.

Think Slade has a lot to answer for.

Maybe or maybe not. He knew Slade beforehand but I think his heart overruled his head, he was set on being back at his hometown club. Then it all went sour and he had no chance to go any further.

Posted by: marinerdazza, July 2, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 13
This is just bizarre beyond words.
Posted by: mariner91, July 2, 2019, 1:41pm; Reply: 14
Didn’t he only take over at Truro three weeks ago?
Posted by: jimgtfc, July 2, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 15
Lots of respect for Wilko, but he probably only got the job because no one would touch Bury with a barge pole at the minute.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 2, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mariner91
Didn’t he only take over at Truro three weeks ago?

Been there since March this year. Got them relegated last season and I think was rewarded with a two year contract.
Posted by: hheh2, July 2, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 17
Thats Bury relegated then.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 2, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 18
Tenner on them to go down.
Posted by: jock dock tower, July 2, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 19
Make a go of it and shove it up where the sun don;t shine to all your Town fan detractors!
Posted by: mariner91, July 2, 2019, 4:40pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jock dock tower
Make a go of it and shove it up where the sun don;t shine to all your Town fan detractors!

To be fair they're not completely unjustified if he's just been relegated out of the sixth tier following on from a horrendous spell here. But good luck to him, he will need it at Bury.
Posted by: golfer, July 2, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 21
Heard it's a year deal @ £3K a week so at end of season he'll owe them £156K
Posted by: tintowner, July 2, 2019, 5:15pm; Reply: 22
I wonder if he will offer Russ the assistant managers job  8)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 2, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from marinerdazza

Been there since March this year. Got them relegated last season and I think was rewarded with a two year contract.

A bit like Benitez going down with Newcastle, he would probably have got them promoted next year. :)

Posted by: Rik e B, July 3, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 24
I wish him well, I never wanted him to take the reigns from Slade but thought it was pretty horrible the way insults were slung at him towards back end of the Slade era.

He'd probably make a perfectly capable assistant alongside a manager going places, case of wrong place at wrong time perhaps.
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, July 3, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 25
Best thing he could do is change his nickname back to Wilkie, which was how he was known when a (brilliant) Town player. This 'Wilko' guy who made up the Undynamic Duo with Slade was an impostor
Posted by: Abdul19, July 3, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 26
The oddest appointment since Blackburn gave Steve Kean a job.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 3, 2019, 1:36pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Rik e B
I wish him well, I never wanted him to take the reigns from Slade but thought it was pretty horrible the way insults were slung at him towards back end of the Slade era.

He'd probably make a perfectly capable assistant alongside a manager going places, case of wrong place at wrong time perhaps.

I agree. There were obviously things going on behind the scenes that he had absolutely no influence over but he was unfairly tarred with the Slade brush.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 3, 2019, 5:20pm; Reply: 28
He looked extremely uncomfortable at the infamous fans' forum the other year.
Posted by: wiggers, July 3, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 29
He did nothing while here, rose tinted glasses cos he used to play for us. Wish him well but come on.......
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 3, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from wiggers
He did nothing while here, rose tinted glasses cos he used to play for us. Wish him well but come on.......

Pardon my asking but what exactly did he not do that he could have done? He was the assistant. We have one now, is he not just doing the same as Wilkie did, following the manager’s lead? What did Doig do except not know his boss was moving?

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 3, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 31

Pardon my asking but what exactly did he not do that he could have done? He was the assistant. We have one now, is he not just doing the same as Wilkie did, following the manager’s lead? What did Doig do except not know his boss was moving?

I believe Wilko recommended the signing of Sam Kelly.
Posted by: wiggers, July 3, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 32
He was also caretaker manager and did absolutely nothing in turn round our fortunes
Posted by: Abdul19, July 3, 2019, 9:24pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from wiggers
He was also caretaker manager and did absolutely nothing in turn round our fortunes

Slades getting the boot gave me a boost and I went to Cambridge with a little bit of hope. Dixon and Berrett being picked killed that before kick off ;D
Posted by: Rik e B, July 4, 2019, 7:04am; Reply: 34
But he had the same shower of sh!t at his disposal and also didn't have the advantage of being a fresh face, so again circumstances were against him even with the bald one gone.

He was a extremely highly regarded coach, in fact when he was the third man of our management team years ago our decline coincided with him being culled. Again, plenty of other circumstances mean it wasn't down to just losing him, just an example there.

Nothing rose-tinted about it, he walked in to a excrement-storm about to ensue with Slade and Fenty. In fact it was a wholly manufactured partnership him and Slade, thought up by our esteemed leaders. I think Slade was made to have Wilko, with the idea being an old fans favourite would sweeten the fans and maybe be groomed for future (cheap) management. I'm sure Slade would have preferred one of his usual backroom buddies. Probably a small part of the bad way things were done right there.
Posted by: Davec, July 4, 2019, 7:10am; Reply: 35
I can't see this ending in any other way than failure, you could say he can't be blamed by the Slade debacle but he did recommend the signings of Hooper Kelly and Killip, I don't think he has the personality to be a manager, from what I've heard he is charisma free and remember Truro fans hated him as manager and are delighted to see him leave.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 4, 2019, 7:23am; Reply: 36
He won’t last very long and for anyone who says lovely bloke (no)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 4, 2019, 7:39am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Davec
I can't see this ending in any other way than failure, you could say he can't be blamed by the Slade debacle but he did recommend the signings of Hooper Kelly and Killip, I don't think he has the personality to be a manager, from what I've heard he is charisma free and remember Truro fans hated him as manager and are delighted to see him leave.

I got speaking to Dean Kiely at the rained off Derby game in August and he actually sorted Killip out with a move here, saying he needed a manager like Slade for him to kick on!
Posted by: sam gy, July 4, 2019, 8:09am; Reply: 38
Are we now tarring Killip with the disaster signing tag too? FFS he was a backup keeper, what more did you want?

Gone on to have a good career in non league by all accounts....playing for England C and signed for Hartlepool following a good spell at Braintree.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, July 4, 2019, 8:33am; Reply: 39
Far as im concerned Wilkie was a boyhood hero of mine as a player and that`s how I will remember him. The coaching/management thing sadly never worked out but then it hasn`t with a lot of people. Good luck to him
Posted by: RonMariner, July 5, 2019, 12:03am; Reply: 40
Quoted from jimgtfc
Lots of respect for Wilko, but he probably only got the job because no one would touch Bury with a barge pole at the minute.

Exactly.
Posted by: Barrattstander, July 18, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 41
Got his work cut out now, EFL announce Bury will start next season on -12 points!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 18, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 42
Dunno might take the pressure off him. Expectations should be low now.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 18, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Dunno might take the pressure off him. Expectations should be low now.

Now? The situation is disgraceful and their promotion in such circumstances cost the Mansfield manager his job.

If Bolton and Bury exist come what May it will be a miracle.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 18, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Now? The situation is disgraceful and their promotion in such circumstances cost the Mansfield manager his job.

If Bolton and Bury exist come what May it will be a miracle.

Yes. Now.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 18, 2019, 8:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yes. Now.

With 7 contracted players, all of whom went on strike this week, and 3 weeks until the big kick off, anything better than 24th had to be considered success without even considering the deduction?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 18, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from jamesgtfc

With 7 contracted players, all of whom went on strike this week, and 3 weeks until the big kick off, anything better than 24th had to be considered success without even considering the deduction?

Exactly my point. He can't fail.
Posted by: Son of Cod, July 19, 2019, 9:18am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Abdul19

Slades getting the boot gave me a boost and I went to Cambridge with a little bit of hope. Dixon and Berrett being picked killed that before kick off ;D

God that game was horrific.
Posted by: RonMariner, July 19, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Abdul19

And just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any worse he brought Kelly on. And it did.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 3:41pm