Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sidneyparkwanderer, June 24, 2019, 11:17pm
Is the next signing ? Free agent looks like a good poacher in the 6 yard box
Posted by: fiveallive, June 24, 2019, 11:29pm; Reply: 1
Raiding the Swedish League again.
Posted by: RoboCod, June 24, 2019, 11:35pm; Reply: 2
Remember being after him before, allegedly, looked a handful. MJ did say that we'd come close to a big signing not long after, which may have been him. Wonder if the potential new structure at the club will enable such signings.
Posted by: You stripes UTM, June 25, 2019, 1:04am; Reply: 3
Done deal. Signing today (Tuesday)
Posted by: Pogo, June 25, 2019, 5:29am; Reply: 4
Quoted from You stripes UTM

Where have you heard this? Seems like it would be a good signing at this level
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2019, 6:13am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Pogo

Where have you heard this? Seems like it would be a good signing at this level

He hasn't, just another chancer that has read something on here and taken a punt on it on the off chance it comes off so he can claim he was told by his source #itk. The Fishy is full of them at the minute.
Posted by: Pogo, June 25, 2019, 6:19am; Reply: 6
Quoted from pizzzza

He hasn't, just another chancer that had read something on here and taken a punt on it on the off chance it comes off so he can claim he was told by his source #itk. The Fishy is full of them at the minute.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 25, 2019, 7:04am; Reply: 7

Please can you post a picture of Fenty from your seat so we can see how much you know.
Posted by: Rik e B, June 25, 2019, 7:11am; Reply: 8
;D The further you are sat from Fenty, the less credible you become. GTFC Rumour Mill Barometer 2019
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, June 25, 2019, 7:13am; Reply: 9
According to Wiki he plays scrabble which may help town improve their spelling when making PR announcements, see Bigdogā€™s comments on takeover thread šŸ˜„šŸ˜„, but on a more serious note if another striker is coming in what is the plan for Cardwell in particular?

Really looks like he needs a long term loan ideally with a National League team and perhaps Akheem doing something similar.

Look forward to hearing how things develop
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2019, 7:13am; Reply: 10
Well im K102 bout 40 from JF and one of those pathetic in the know twitter accounts linked us to him so i think im a reliable sourcešŸ˜‰
Posted by: mariner2000, June 25, 2019, 8:04am; Reply: 11

Copied off the upthemariners website
Posted by: You stripes UTM, June 25, 2019, 8:08am; Reply: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Please can you post a picture of Fenty from your seat so we can see how much you know.

;D ;D ;D I'll give you that one, no I'm good friends with someone who works at the club, but I don't claim to be #ITK - was only told yesterday about him!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 25, 2019, 8:17am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Hagrid
Well im K102 bout 40 from JF and one of those pathetic in the know twitter accounts linked us to him so i think im a reliable sourcešŸ˜‰

As a 10 year old I was very much in the know as Huxford used to sit in front of me in the Main Stand.

Always remember him standing up in front of me and the Main Stand faithful shouting "sit down we can't see" and I kid you not, his words were "I can do what I want around here."
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 14
I don't know how easy it is to look good in this league, but he's doing it...

[youtube]rpFdXO6ZpJE[/youtube]
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I don't know how easy it is to look good in this league, but he's doing it...

[youtube]watch?v=rpFdXO6ZpJE[/youtube]

how do I does this stuff

EDIT: like that... made hard work of that, sorry
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 8:37am; Reply: 16
IF he does sign, and I've not heard anything at all on this one, where does that leave our other strikers?

Rose
Cardwell
Cook
Vernam

Green & Hanson signed aswellā€¦. not sure if any of the youth players that have been given a pro are strikers

Loan rose out?
Release Cardwell?
Keep Cook and have 4 strikers and use Vernam as a left winger?
Posted by: You stripes UTM, June 25, 2019, 8:40am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
IF he does sign, and I've not heard anything at all on this one, where does that leave our other strikers?

Rose
Cardwell
Cook
Vernam

Green & Hanson signed aswellā€¦. not sure if any of the youth players that have been given a pro are strikers

Loan rose out?
Release Cardwell?
Keep Cook and have 4 strikers and use Vernam as a left winger?

I'm hoping Vernam will be used as a winger as he's always looked better out wide than upfront, and swap him with Wright when tired.

Believe Rose should be loaned out as he has a lot of learning yet, and Cardwell, well...

Posted by: Rik e B, June 25, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 18
Highlight reels only show good moments but conversely 'balls up's' reels could be produced for anybody I guess.

With a little (lot of? šŸ˜‰) work one could possibly muster up a Martin Butler for GTFC highlight reel, so gotta be careful thinking someone a superstar from these sort of clips. But he does look strong and powerful do that's good, we've lacked presence. With the other two new recruits we could have that in abundance this coming campaign - should help the likes of Akheem and even Vernam greatly.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 25, 2019, 9:00am; Reply: 19
His passing looks good too (from The video Jarmo posted)
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 9:04am; Reply: 20
Quoted from cmackenzie4
His passing looks good too (from The video Jarmo eventually posted)

Posted by: forza ivano, June 25, 2019, 9:34am; Reply: 21
was told last night that he's signing today. Apparently he can also play wide?
the other good thing is that his name scans Omar's song perfectly
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 10:55am; Reply: 22
Our friend Jostein on twitter put a good post about Ogbu:

Fans gonna love him, exciting player to watch. Shot Sirius up in the Allsvenskan for the first time in 42 years. Then 7 goals in 28 matches in the top flight for a struggling team in 2018.
Lot of pace. Winger or striker.
Moses gonna split the North Sea this time.

A guy called Daniel who I believe is a sports journalist over that way put:

Ogbu had a great season in 2017 before breaking his leg. 2018 was okay with the whole team struggling. He had a hard time this year in Saudi Arabia, but should fit better in England. I expect the deal to be done today.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 25, 2019, 10:56am; Reply: 23
Reminds me of David Neilson all that jumping about after he scores  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 25, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 24
Has he been seen in the club shop yet ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 25, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 25
Seems encouraging.  Jostein doesn't normally associate himself with anything that hasn't got any credibility to it.

Can't imagine we're signing him as a striker.   The signing of Hanson suggest we're going to play with width to get balls into him, play to his strengths.  If this lad can play on the wing I imagine that's where he's operate.  Either that or it's going to be 3 up top.  

Would love it if Jolley was really bold and went with a front three, Vernam at the top of a midfield triangle behind them.  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 11:18am; Reply: 26
Quoted from diehardmariner
Seems encouraging.  Jostein doesn't normally associate himself with anything that hasn't got any credibility to it.

Can't imagine we're signing him as a striker.   The signing of Hanson suggest we're going to play with width to get balls into him, play to his strengths.  If this lad can play on the wing I imagine that's where he's operate.  Either that or it's going to be 3 up top.  

Would love it if Jolley was really bold and went with a front three, Vernam at the top of a midfield triangle behind them.  

Front 3:

Green Hanson Ogbu

Vernam behind them

Wright and Cook on bench as other attacking options...

All of a sudden, we can positive options.

Just need that creative midfielder
Posted by: mimma, June 25, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 27
If this is true it would seem to me that Jolley has recognised that pace is what was lacking last season and has certainly addressed it for the coming season.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 25, 2019, 11:20am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Front 3:

Green Hanson Ogbu

Vernam behind them

Embleton still being mentioned...
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 29
Quoted from forza ivano

Can you imagine...
His last game was 0-0 draw at home to Northampton, after that we picked up 8 points out of possible 24 - scoring 4 goals

I'm not saying he is a miracle worker, but he wasn't far off!
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 25, 2019, 11:49am; Reply: 30
Me and Dad were saying all last season we were missing a player like him, someone who creates chances just by being in the right places in the box a real poacher. If he does sign I could see Rose and Cardwell being loaned out.
Posted by: mariner91, June 25, 2019, 11:52am; Reply: 31
Ogbu from what we've seen on Youtube and what knowledgeable people like Jostein have said, seems to have pace and a bit of directness which we missed. We were lacking pace in most departments last year and now with Green and hopefully Ogbu we're a bit quicker than we were and hopefully won't be so easy to defend against. We actually now have some decent attacking options in Green, Hanson, Vernam, Cook and hopefully Ogbu. With the players like Wright and Rose to compliment them should they be needed. Not sure where Cardwell will feature though.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 32
Rose looked very raw end of last season. Give him a year out somewhere like harry and Max wright have done
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Hagrid
Rose looked very raw end of last season. Give him a year out somewhere like harry and Max wright have done

Didn't he have half a season at Boston?
Posted by: You stripes UTM, June 25, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano

Yep, still not signed a contract with Sunderland and expires on the 30th.. what a piece of business that would be.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Thought he only had just over a month
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 25, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

He was there just over a month but I got told towards the end of last season that his agent was touting his name around for loans every couple of weeks.
Posted by: bedders78, June 25, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from jamesgtfc

As a 10 year old I was very much in the know as Huxford used to sit in front of me in the Main Stand.

Always remember him standing up in front of me and the Main Stand faithful shouting "sit down we can't see" and I kid you not, his words were "I can do what I want around here."

I find it hard to believe people were standing in the Main Stand
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 25, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Hagrid

The problem with that is he'll be out of contract at the end of this season, so he'd just be free to leave and go where he wants.  If he has a good loan spell somewhere, he'll have options and they'll all advise him to NOT sign an extension with us.  He'd go out on loan and we'd never see him again, which can work one of two ways - and we all know which way that would be; he'd come back to haunt us!
Posted by: joe56, June 25, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 39
I agree with Robocod. I suspect he was the ā€˜big signingā€™ that we just missed out on last season. I researched him on YouTube at the time, and he looked excellent - creative as well as being a goal scorer. What struck me most though was his character. A real leader, and seemed to be loved by his team mates. If he comes to Town, I hope my impressions prove to be correct. He could tick all the boxes, and have a big impact.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 25, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Hagrid

Thought he only had just over a month

You could be right, felt like half a season with everyone begging MJ to bring him back
Posted by: livosnose, June 25, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 41
Think Cardwell has got Boston United written all over him , obviously in very neat, tidy and pretty handwriting ......... :)
Posted by: forza ivano, June 25, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 42
Lisa Piggott
5 mins
Busy in the Office, somethingā€™s happening shortly UTM ā¤ļøāš½ļøā¤ļø  

from Facebook 5 mins ago

presumably Moses is there buying his shirt and socks etc.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 25, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 43

Yep, still not signed a contract with Sunderland and expires on the 30th.. what a piece of business that would be.

I have heard the same that Embleton wass joining us, we are 66/1 at Paddy Power for the title, 1/4 of the odds for the top 3.
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2019, 2:39pm; Reply: 44
Club just put a tweet of waves.....
Posted by: RoboCod, June 25, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 45

Ha ha...parting the sea ! Hmmm..who is it,,,
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), June 25, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 46
GTFC just tweeted Moses parting the sea on twitter
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), June 25, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 47
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1143511957775036420?s=20
Posted by: RoboCod, June 25, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 48
[tweet]1143511957775036420[/tweet]
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 25, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 49
Thatā€™s not Moses. Itā€™s Tommy from Rugrats!
Posted by: jaygy, June 25, 2019, 2:47pm; Reply: 50
These last 3 signings have really got me excited for next season!
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), June 25, 2019, 2:47pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Thatā€™s not Moses. Itā€™s Tommy from Rugrats!

Tommy is a bulldog like CF I hear!
Posted by: Hagrid, June 25, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 52
Love it! Ear piercings and tatoos! New hero
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 25, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 53
Official now >> https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/frontman-is-the-third-summer-signing/
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), June 25, 2019, 2:51pm; Reply: 54
Delighted with that signing! Looks to have all you need for lg2 - pace power, hold up play and and an eye for goal, nice to have him as a deeper/wide option too - looks like he can actually cross too. Exciting times utm
Posted by: Nutsy, June 25, 2019, 2:51pm; Reply: 55
Is he  a winger or a striker?
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 56
Here's hoping we can get a creative midfielder in now to supply Green, Hanson and Ogbu with the chances.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Nutsy
Is he  a winger or a striker?

Both!
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 25, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 58
I have to say, I am enjoying the transfer hints on Twitter this year. They're well done and harmless fun.
Posted by: Biccys, June 25, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Les Brechin

Both!

Does that make him a stringer? Or a wingker?
Posted by: devs, June 25, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 60
What the hell system is MJ looking at?
433?
4231?
442?

Some very decent L2 players will be/could be on the bench

Whatever formation it will be a front six
Hanson
Green
Ogbu
Vernam
Cook
Whitehouse
Hess
Clifton
Wright

Strong bench!

Surely Cardwell and Rose will be season-long loans??
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 25, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 61
Really pleased with the signing, but a 1-year deal?  OK, if he doesn't take to English football then we're not tied in, but if he DOES have the impact we're all hoping, we'll probably lose him for nothing.  Here's hoping there is some sort of 'option' in his contract; Fenty is usually quite canny with stuff like that.......
Posted by: sutton mariner, June 25, 2019, 3:04pm; Reply: 62
WEā€™RE GONNA urine UP THIS TIN POT LEAGUE UP THE flipping MARINERS
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 3:05pm; Reply: 63
Positive šŸ‘
Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 64
https://fmdataba.com/19/p/45441/moses-ogbu/
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 25, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 65
Really happy with this. He'll be parting the defences in league 2 with waves and waves of attacking football
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 25, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 66
No messing about with Jolley this season 3 new strikers šŸ‘ŠšŸ» Now more goals and letā€™s see the creative come in !!
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 25, 2019, 3:14pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Heisenberg
Really pleased with the signing, but a 1-year deal?  OK, if he doesn't take to English football then we're not tied in, but if he DOES have the impact we're all hoping, we'll probably lose him for nothing.  Here's hoping there is some sort of 'option' in his contract; Fenty is usually quite canny with stuff like that.......

Club usually are quite up front when we've got options.  

The one-year-deal caught my eye too.  I'm guessing it's more about that the player may have aspirations higher than League Two and wants to go up the levels with or without us.

Goes against everything Jolley has done with his business since getting here but I've no issue with players using us a stepping stone.  If they end up in demand it means they're doing something right.
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 25, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 68

The one-year-deal caught my eye too.  I'm guessing it's more about that the player may have aspirations higher than League Two and wants to go up the levels with or without us.

Goes against everything Jolley has done with his business since getting here but I've no issue with players using us a stepping stone.  If they end up in demand it means they're doing something right.

Saudi Arabia to Cleethorpes is a leap of faith for anyone. Also, he's not played too many games in the last 4 years and has had a broken leg. Caution on both sides is not such a bad thing.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 25, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 69
Never mind Thomas and his daft salute...can't wait to see Moses do his Robbie Keanesque goal celebration at the park!!..
Reckon the one year deal could be that MJ sees this signing as more of a gamble than Hanson/Green imho...
Posted by: You stripes UTM, June 25, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 70
Jolley knows we lacked goals and addressed it. Backed it up with 3 new strikers signed first. Now onto midfield and defence.

IN JOLLEY WE TRUST. UTM
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, June 25, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 71
Please those 3 signings but we still need 2 defenders and a decent midfielder.
Looking forward to who MJ has lined for those roles
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 25, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 72

Just put on the other Ogbu thread(mods need to mergr both) that I think MJ sees Moses as a bit more of a gamble due to the level he has been playing at in comparison to Hanson/Green thus a one year deal is less risky..
Wonder though if MJ has any regrets giving Cardwell a new 3 year deal, honestly think he could be released if a conference/league 2 club come in for him...

Posted by: Nutsy, June 25, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 73
Exciting to think we could could have Ogbu Hanson and Vernam as a front 3
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 25, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 74
Maybe a one year deal gives Rose more time to develop.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2019, 3:39pm; Reply: 75
Any chance of getting Gabriel Jesus, Tammy Abraham and Harry Cain to keep the bible theme going?  :)
Posted by: rancido, June 25, 2019, 3:39pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Front 3:

Green Hanson Ogbu

Vernam behind them

I think too much emphasis is being placed on exactly what roles our strikers/forwards will have. MJ will have a definite idea of how he wants to set up and I think we may be surprised by how he utilises some players. It strikes me as strange that he would retain some players and then put them out on loan because he has signed someone else.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, June 25, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 77
Did he play any games over in Saudi??

On wiki it just has a ? under games played  ::)
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 25, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 78

Welcome to GTFC Moses Ogbu......he might be reading this   ;)
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 25, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from marinerdazza

Saudi Arabia to Cleethorpes is a leap of faith for anyone. Also, he's not played too many games in the last 4 years and has had a broken leg. Caution on both sides is not such a bad thing.

Why, we've got loads of sand too?

Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 25, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Les Brechin
Any chance of getting Gabriel Jesus, Tammy Abraham and Harry Cain to keep the bible theme going?  :)

I hope so Les because weā€™d make a right Prophet from them lot  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from cmackenzie4

I hope so Les because weā€™d make a right Prophet from them lot  ;)

That'd be Testament to Jolley's faith in them.
Posted by: Croxton, June 25, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Maybe a one year deal gives Rose more time to develop.

Rose needs to have a good preseason, fitness wise , and kept a close eye on. His leg muscles tighten rather too quickly if he spends too long on the bench or if he has to chase hoof ball. His pace is mainly over 20 yds not 40. If he can continue to diversify his game and build minutes gradually he has great potential.
I fear that Boston or similar will use him one dimensionally for his pace alone and ruin his hamstrings for good.

Cardwell needs regular games for fitness, goals and the elusive mean streak. Early loan.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 25, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 83
No one has been Abel to come up with any more biblical names.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 25, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
No one has been Abel to come up with any more biblical names.

Didn't Abel Hernandez play for Dull?
Posted by: joe56, June 25, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 85
An interesting clip below. Could make for a lively dressing room!šŸ˜‰

https://youtu.be/gN_on_ltmGQ
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 25, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 86
He'll be " feeding the 5 thousand " with his goals.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 25, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That'd be Testament to Jolley's faith in them.

Some people need to keep taking the Tablets. ;)

Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from joe56

I don't know what they are on about but I am doing that on my birthday with all my family. Nailed on.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2019, 5:48pm; Reply: 89
Oh and he's on instagram (mosesogbu) and VERY cool. My new favourite player.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 25, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 90
I know I have said in the past we will be getting promoted,

BUT

This time I might be right,

We are going up we are going up !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 25, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from grimsby pete
I know I have said in the past we will be getting promoted,

BUT

This time I might be right,

We are going up we are going up !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bloody hope so !!
Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 92
As I've said previously take a moment to save the optimism of the close season. It's usually the highlight of the season for me.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 25, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 93
well having had a look at that showreel ...( i know that isnt always a wise thing to do ) he does at least look up and pick out a fellow player when he gets to a crossing position.....glimpses of good finishes with either foot.....following up gambling on loose balls......looked strong and positive in posession......

if only the picking out a player when he crosses part of the above is all he actually delivers when he gets here that will be a first for many a season and something that Hanson in particular would relish i think.

Three attacking options out of three signings....looks like somebody has got the message of where we were light last season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 94

Some people need to keep taking the Tablets. ;)

Hopefully without a 40 year wait in the wilderness, Moses should lead us to the promised land.

Incidentally, is anyone else now seeing adverts for bibles since this thread started?
Posted by: acko338, June 25, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 95
Signing Moses, I Cain see what you're Abel to do, Mr Jolley !

Cain we Prophet from your wisdom ??

I'll stop now and put the Jeffrey Archer books back !!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 25, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 96
Well, I wonder if John the Baptist agreed the deal or our saviour MJ climbed the mountain and told Moses " get off that tablet, playing computer games will ruin your career"!!...
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 25, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from Hagrid

I didn't think he did that bad, added some much needed pace. My only doubt about him was his fitness, always seemed to have a hamstring problem.
Posted by: hheh2, June 25, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 98
Moses Ogbu Moooses Ogbuuu Ogbuuuu Ogbuuuu
Posted by: Meza, June 25, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 99
to the fish chant
ogBU ogBU
Posted by: Meza, June 25, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 100
Apologies if already posted

[youtube]TvBBh_fxauU[/youtube]
Posted by: pizzzza, June 25, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 101
I wonder if he'll request to wear the "iconic" number 90 shirt as he wears in his showreel?
Posted by: Mendonca1995, June 25, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 102
dddd...MOSES OGBU ...dddd MOSES OGBU looks like a cracking singing letā€™s hope he does the business for us hopefully a couple more quality signings to come through and we should be set to go looking good so far UTM
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Meza
to the fish chant
ogBU ogBU

Only problem with that is Ogbu has too many syllables šŸ˜„
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Meza
Apologies if already posted

[youtube]TvBBh_fxauU[/youtube]

Couldnā€™t get past the first minute with that over the top music and clips of him walking about.
Posted by: Stew0_0, June 25, 2019, 9:24pm; Reply: 105
He looks like a really decent player who not only can score but create for others too. Wonder if we will be looking to play him in an Embleton behind the front 2 role. Given the freedom to cause nuisance, over lap and create goals for Hanson and Green too.
Looks to have a decent cross, has vision, looks a threat in the air at set pieces and with a decent amount of skill and pace.
Really happy with this addition and with 3/4 more decent signings we could be the surprise package this season.
Posted by: gaz57, June 25, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 106
The team could be coming out to the sound of Genesis. šŸ‘‚šŸ‘‚šŸ‘‚
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 25, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from joe56

We kept he away from showing him our dressing room, before he signed.

Get him in the Pontoon, to start the chanting.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 25, 2019, 9:34pm; Reply: 108
In the league table of GTFC African signings, I hope he ends up nearer Kalala than, er, Bankole ;)
Posted by: livvo, June 25, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 109
Jean Louis akpa akpro >:(
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, June 25, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 110
Or the player we signed by mistake. Serge Makafo.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 10:27pm; Reply: 111
Chima Chima Chima Chima!

Or as the press listed him the day after we played Tranmere, C. Oā€™Corrie.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 25, 2019, 11:18pm; Reply: 112
Looks to have power, pace, ball control, finishing and good distribution.

Ogbu, Hanson and Green! Can't remember when we last had three strikers of this quality in the same squad!
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, June 26, 2019, 12:22am; Reply: 113
Quoted from forza ivano
the other good thing is that his name scans Omar's song perfectly

No.

Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 26, 2019, 12:39am; Reply: 114
Sorry but this takeover has to have something to do with these 3 signings..... We would normally be extremely lucky to even get 1 of them, but to arguably have 3 of the best strikers in the league? We must be having some form of transfer kitty increase with this takeover...
Posted by: pen penfras, June 26, 2019, 6:55am; Reply: 115
Quoted from Grimsby2012
Sorry but this takeover has to have something to do with these 3 signings..... We would normally be extremely lucky to even get 1 of them, but to arguably have 3 of the best strikers in the league? We must be having some form of transfer kitty increase with this takeover...

No way is Fenty sanctioning budget breaking signings that he will have to cover the cost of later (if it falls through). There's the FFP rules, where we can only spend 55% of income, after that it has to be made up of donations, not loans.

We already had arguably one of the best strikers in the league in Thomas, Welsh was highly paid. Woolford and Collins won't have been cheap. We've probably released a good portion of our higher earners, so Jolley has more flexibility to push the boat out. He's already shown last year that he is trying to assemble a smaller squad with more quality than lots of average players like the previous few managers have, not all of it paid off but I have faith in this approach.
Posted by: forza ivano, June 26, 2019, 7:50am; Reply: 116
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

No.

But it does work, I just tried it now. The rest of the bus looked at me a bit strangely but hey ho 8)
Posted by: Poojah, June 26, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 117
Quoted from Cambs Mariner
Or the player we signed by mistake. Serge Makafo.

Funnily enough, I was speaking to someone recently who worked for the club at the time, who shared the full story behind the Makofo debacle. This, supposedly, is how it went down.

Apparently at the time, Town werenā€™t even sending a scout to watch every opponent due to massive budgetary restrictions following relegation from the league, instead relying on video alone for many games. As luck would have it though our next two opponents, Crawley and Kettering happened to be playing each other on a Tuesday evening and so the decision was made to send someone to the game.

Back in 2010 it wasnā€™t mandatory for conference clubs to employ squad numbers (and therefore names on shirts) and Kettering, one of the smaller clubs in the division, were still using the traditional 1 - 11 system for each match.

This led to a minor error being made on the teamsheet, with Makofo being attributed the number 9 shirt which in fact was being worn by Jean Paul Marna. As it would play out, Marna ran Crawley ragged that night, scoring a goal in the process. Confusion was then compounded by the fact that upon scoring, the Crawley PA announcer (equipped with the erroneous teamsheet) attributed the goal to Makofo.

The scouting report returned to Town with Makofo being given rave reviews on the back of Marnaā€™s performance. Since Kettering were struggling financially at the time, it was decided that we should make a cheeky offer in the hope of luring Ketteringā€™s star man on the cheap. A deal was quickly concluded, and Makofo was quite literally dropped off to sign as Kettering arrived for the game at Blundell Park a few days later.

It was only at this point, as it dawned on the scout who had attended the Crawley game that the player we had supposedly signed was still on the pitch wearing a Kettering shirt, that it came to light that a terrible mistake had been made - weā€™d awarded a lucrative 3 year deal to completely the wrong man. The rest is history.

Dark, dark days.
Posted by: Rik e B, June 26, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 118
Wow, shocking.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), June 26, 2019, 8:45am; Reply: 119
He must be left up when opponents have a corner, great outlet. Don't like all this every man back. No wonder Macca can't get to the ball from corners 19-20 players in area.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 26, 2019, 8:47am; Reply: 120
Quoted from Poojah

Funnily enough, I was speaking to someone recently who worked for the club at the time, who shared the full story behind the Makofo debacle. This, supposedly, is how it went down.

Apparently at the time, Town werenā€™t even sending a scout to watch every opponent due to massive budgetary restrictions following relegation from the league, instead relying on video alone for many games. As luck would have it though our next two opponents, Crawley and Kettering happened to be playing each other on a Tuesday evening and so the decision was made to send someone to the game.

Back in 2010 it wasnā€™t mandatory for conference clubs to employ squad numbers (and therefore names on shirts) and Kettering, one of the smaller clubs in the division, were still using the traditional 1 - 11 system for each match.

This led to a minor error being made on the teamsheet, with Makofo being attributed the number 9 shirt which in fact was being worn by Jean Paul Marna. As it would play out, Marna ran Crawley ragged that night, scoring a goal in the process. Confusion was then compounded by the fact that upon scoring, the Crawley PA announcer (equipped with the erroneous teamsheet) attributed the goal to Makofo.

The scouting report returned to Town with Makofo being given rave reviews on the back of Marnaā€™s performance. Since Kettering were struggling financially at the time, it was decided that we should make a cheeky offer in the hope of luring Ketteringā€™s star man on the cheap. A deal was quickly concluded, and Makofo was quite literally dropped off to sign as Kettering arrived for the game at Blundell Park a few days later.

It was only at this point, as it dawned on the scout who had attended the Crawley game that the player we had supposedly signed was still on the pitch wearing a Kettering shirt, that it came to light that a terrible mistake had been made - weā€™d awarded a lucrative 3 year deal to completely the wrong man. The rest is history.

Dark, dark days.

I don't doubt you Poojah but that story is unbelievable. Easy error to make but surely standard practice is to view a target at least 3 times?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 26, 2019, 8:51am; Reply: 121
Quoted from Poojah

Dark, dark days.

Amazing  ;D

We can laugh at it now... but that's incredible
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), June 26, 2019, 8:52am; Reply: 122
Quoted from Poojah

Dark, dark days.

Heard the same and reports were we were signing a 6ft 3in striker not a 5ft 10in. And Charles Ademeno wow Evans did a good job on us.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 26, 2019, 9:37am; Reply: 123
Well Marna didn't tear up any trees after that debacle so it might be a case that we got hit by the wrong bullet rather than missing one altogether.

Maybe I was in the minority but I didn't think Serge was that bad.  He wasn't great and his control was a bit dicey but he at least gave us some pace, which we had absolutely none of.  A bit of a low-rate Tom Bolarinwa
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 26, 2019, 9:46am; Reply: 124
am not saying that it's gonna work but, just found myself singing 'we've got Moses ogbu'  to whole of the moon by the waterboys!

Sleep deprivation I reckon is kicking in
Posted by: headingly_mariner, June 26, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 125
Quoted from Grimsby2012

Iā€™m really pleased theyā€™ve signed and think they are an improvement on what we had. Are they really 3 of the best strikers in this league? Ogbu is a complete unknown to English football and the other two are both proven at the level although questions about fitness and remaining ability are probably justified. If we play to their strengths they can surely be useful but letā€™s not get carried away. I canā€™t imagine we faced huge competition from clubs at this level to get them.
You only need to look at the striking options of some of the divisionā€™s other clubs to see where money is being spent.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 26, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Iā€™m really pleased theyā€™ve signed and think they are an improvement on what we had. Are they really 3 of the best strikers in this league? Ogbu is a complete unknown to English football and the other two are both proven at the level although questions about fitness and remaining ability are probably justified. If we play to their strengths they can surely be useful but letā€™s not get carried away. I canā€™t imagine we faced huge competition from clubs at this level to get them.
You only need to look at the striking options of some of the divisionā€™s other clubs to see where money is being spent.

On paper look like a good trio, as for other teams, until they start playing, no really knows, whether their money has been spent wisely.

You only have look at Notts County, last season. I bet the Newport fans were not sure about Matt when he signed last season, looking at his record  with us, look at the season he had for them.
It's down to manager to get the best of the players, not necessarily the most expensive players, score the most goals.

PSG trying to off load the Brazilian diver, what a waste off money he was.
Posted by: Abdul19, June 26, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 127
Kettering had squad numbers (fairly sure all conference teams had squad numbers from about 2004) that season so it sounds like a cracking urban myth!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/kettering-town/startseite/verein/3825/saison_id/2010
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 26, 2019, 1:54pm; Reply: 128
As much as you all slate Makofo, you'll never be able to take away his vintage pre-season of 2011/12.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 26, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 129
[tweet]1143579610829021185[/tweet]
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 26, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 130
Talking to a Vale mate about him last night he was very impressed and doesn't fancy going up against him. Hopefully that fear is well founded.
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 26, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 131
Well Marna didn't tear up any trees after that debacle so it might be a case that we got hit by the wrong bullet rather than missing one altogether.

Maybe I was in the minority but I didn't think Serge was that bad.  He wasn't great and his control was a bit dicey but he at least gave us some pace, which we had absolutely none of.  A bit of a low-rate Tom Bolarinwa

He was shite and if what was suggested about his signing was true then the manager that signed him should never be allowed to manage a professional football team again.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 26, 2019, 10:07pm; Reply: 132
He hasn't
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 26, 2019, 11:37pm; Reply: 133
Someone mentioned Serge Makofo earlier in this thread. Another underwhelming signing from that time has just popped up at Nat League South side Hampton:

http://www.hamptonfc.net/news/soares-joins-the-beavers-2438425.html
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 27, 2019, 11:33am; Reply: 134
Quoted from arryarryarry

He was shite and if what was suggested about his signing was true then the manager that signed him should never be allowed to manage a professional football team again.

Isn't the issue more the penny pinching that meant we were relying on a half-arsed scouting system rather than the manager at the time?
Posted by: mimma, June 27, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 135
You call it "penny pinching", the more sensible amongst us call it "living within your means". There's a big difference between the two statements.
Posted by: rancido, June 27, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 136

Isn't the issue more the penny pinching that meant we were relying on a half-arsed scouting system rather than the manager at the time?

A scouting system identifies potential players and the manager decides if  a/ the players is good enough b/ the manager wants that player.
Posted by: Bigdog, June 27, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from mimma
You call it "penny pinching", the more sensible amongst us call it "living within your means". There's a big difference between the two statements.

Nah.. living within your means by just cutting costs gets you nowhere. Sensible investment into scouting systems can reap massive rewards. There are plenty of clubs who do so. Additional investment which brings sustainable growth is much more worthy and viable than just cut, cut, cut. There is helluva lot of validity in the term speculate to accumulate.. if executed properly with well thought out costed medium and long term planning..
Posted by: mimma, June 27, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 138
So you would like to spend what we haven't got in the hope that we are promoted. Villa, Bolton, Leeds etc have done that and ended up in the third tier of the league and massively in dept. The only reason they survive is because they are too big a club. We wouldn't be so lucky.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 27, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 139
Guys (or girls or whatever gender you see yourself as).
This thread is about a new signing. Itā€™s good news as far as I see it.
Letā€™s not get sidetracked.
UTM šŸ˜„
Posted by: mimma, June 27, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 140
SORRY!!
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 27, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 141
An interesting aside here.  Playing Football Manager 19, managing Grimsby (of course!), and I have just 'got' Moses Ogbu to play for the Mariners.

Now I'm not sure how accurate this researcher is but FM19 had Moses on Ā£47k per week, Ā£25k after tax, he also had a loyalty bonus of Ā£325,000, appearance fee of Ā£9.5k and a Goal Bonus of 7k.  He had a promotion wage rise of 25%, relegation wage drop of 25% and a seasonal landmark goal bonus for 20 goals of Ā£130k.

As I said, not sure if the figures are right, but his last club was in Qatar!!
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 27, 2019, 1:56pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from mimma

Sorry, but it's far from sensible for a professional outfit to be relying on videos for scouting (a rare treat of two upcoming opponents playing each other the exception, as in this case) and for quite clearly tight financial constraints reducing us to making scatter gun speculative bids for skint clubs on the off-chance that they'll accept, based on single displays (or not as was the case here).

The whole Serge signing was a farce, an absolute farce.  But this wasn't a case that the manager at the time just decided to spunk a big transfer fee up the wall for the sake of it.  There was no scouting system in place of any real note.  With incredibly limited resources available to him (casting my memory back this was around the time when we employed Steve Croudson as goalkeeping coach, back-up goalkeeper, kit-man, god knows what else), we were always running the risk of something like this happening.
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 27, 2019, 1:56pm; Reply: 143
Quoted from rancido

A scouting system identifies potential players and the manager decides if  a/ the players is good enough b/ the manager wants that player.

But we didn't have a scouting system, that's the point.    
Posted by: diehardmariner, June 27, 2019, 2:03pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from mimma
So you would like to spend what we haven't got in the hope that we are promoted. Villa, Bolton, Leeds etc have done that and ended up in the third tier of the league and massively in dept. The only reason they survive is because they are too big a club. We wouldn't be so lucky.

A remotely moderate scouting system is a bit different from throwing money at a promotion push.  I don't think any of the clubs you list there fell into financial trouble because of their backroom set-up.  

When we went into the Conference I'm pretty sure there was something about the board supporting an investment in the infrastructure of the club to the tune of Ā£1million on various bits and bobs.  The idea was that we would make sure the failings of the previous two/three seasons were never repeated and that we had what was required (off the field).

This quite clearly never happened.  A proper scouting system would have made sure we never signed Serge Makafo, we would never have been scrambling round for rough diamonds because the scout (who was no doubt doing a favour or a one-off job for us) would have been able to go back a few times to assess his findings.  You get out what you put in.  Clubs who invest time, money and dedication to a supporting infrastructure get the benefits.  We invested nothing and we got absolutely what we deserved.

Even under Hurst the lack of investment was obvious, to the point that he wasn't shy about speaking up about it when he left.  
Posted by: Oly1987, June 27, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 145
I actually had the opportunity to speak to Paul Hurst when we got back into the league during pre season. I asked him about our scouting network and he said that coming back to the league meant we could afford to hire a full time scout and a new system for scouting teams which allowed for more comprehensive coverage of team plays, statistical data etc.He also mentioned that when we were in non league we had to rely on video footage to scout teams which was difficult as not all teams could afford to record footage.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 27, 2019, 3:35pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from 123614
An interesting aside here.  Playing Football Manager 19, managing Grimsby (of course!), and I have just 'got' Moses Ogbu to play for the Mariners.

Now I'm not sure how accurate this researcher is but FM19 had Moses on Ā£47k per week, Ā£25k after tax, he also had a loyalty bonus of Ā£325,000, appearance fee of Ā£9.5k and a Goal Bonus of 7k.  He had a promotion wage rise of 25%, relegation wage drop of 25% and a seasonal landmark goal bonus for 20 goals of Ā£130k.

As I said, not sure if the figures are right, but his last club was in Qatar!!

Maybe that's why we have only given him a one year deal.  ;D

Seriously that is way out I saw on one site he was on 1200 euro,s  plus I am sure we will have an option on a second year.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 147
Happy enough with three of the signings so far but very concerned about this one, I just hope he's not expensive.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), June 27, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from Ipswin
Happy enough with three of the signings so far but very concerned about this one, I just hope he's not expensive.

Typically down beat VAR.
Posted by: StaffsMariner, June 27, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 149
What are you "very concerned" about Ipswin? or is it just your natural pessimism kicking in randomly?
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 27, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from StaffsMariner
What are you "very concerned" about Ipswin? or is it just your natural pessimism kicking in randomly?

I think itā€™s more him looking for his usual bites.
I struggle to understand why  people still fall for a pretty boring routine.  But they still do !!!
Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from StaffsMariner

Because we know intercourse all about him other than a few seasons in the Swedish league at various levels, a detail-free period in Qatar and a short video. Other signings of, on the face of it, very similar players which soon went mammaries up have already been mentioned somewhere in this thread

Posted by: Maringer, June 27, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 152
Of the new signings, I'd guess that Ogbu is the biggest gamble. Has the potential to be a revelation but could just as easily be a real flop whether due to injury or difficulty in adapting to the English game.

The other three look more 'Steady Eddie' types to me which is what you would expect given their pedigree and experience. Nothing wrong with that, however.
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 27, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 153
This is a guy who captained a team in the Swedish premier though, not a Louis Soares
Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from Civvy at last

I think itā€™s more him looking for his usual bites.
I struggle to understand why  people still fall for a pretty boring routine.  But they still do !!!

And I don't understand why every twit is creaming their jeans about a Swedish lower league player no fornicator has even heard of. We over react every time someone walks into Blundell Park and poses for a naff photo in the main stand with a Town shirt on saying how pleased they are to be coming to GTFC.

I simply said I was not confident or excited about Ogbu signing - that's allowed isn't it?

Posted by: pizzzza, June 27, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Ipswin

And I don't understand why every twit is creaming their jeans about a Swedish lower league player no fornicator has even heard of. We over react every time someone walks into Blundell Park and poses for a naff photo in the main stand with a Town shirt on saying how pleased they are to be coming to GTFC.

I simply said I was not confident or excited about Ogbu signing - that's allowed isn't it?

Maybe it is time you found a hobby you actually enjoy? I don't think you get anything positive out of following Town.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 27, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from Ipswin

I thought for his last 3 years in Sweden he played in the top flight and also captained his team in the last season there.
Posted by: mimma, June 27, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 157
Wouldn't Jolley have seen him and known about him whilst he was in Sweden?
Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2019, 6:18pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from Maringer
Of the new signings, I'd guess that Ogbu is the biggest gamble. Has the potential to be a revelation but could just as easily be a real flop whether due to injury or difficulty in adapting to the English game.

The other three look more 'Steady Eddie' types to me which is what you would expect given their pedigree and experience. Nothing wrong with that, however.

Thank you that is exactly what I was saying
Posted by: Ipswin, June 27, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Les Brechin

I thought for his last 3 years in Sweden he played in the top flight and also captained his team in the last season there.

3 seasons in the 3rd tier, 2 in the second tier and last 2 in the top tier
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, June 27, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 160
Who knows how he will fare, I  think the unknown factor makes it an exciting  prospect, more exciting  than signing someone  unknown from say Stevenage anyways šŸ˜Š
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, June 27, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Ipswin

Id be of the same opinion, so few of our signings since returning to the League, have actually delivered.  The list is endless in terms of failures.  Jolly has brought in 1 or 2 players who have been value Hess and Ohman spring to mind...

It will all come out in the wash.....of the new bunch Hanson has done it at this level, and I have high expectations for him.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 27, 2019, 7:50pm; Reply: 162
Quoted from Ipswin

3 seasons in the 3rd tier, 2 in the second tier and last 2 in the top tier

so what you have identified is we have signed him at the peak of his career, a player on the rise.......good work there, very positive.
Posted by: Rik e B, June 27, 2019, 11:25pm; Reply: 163
Picking up Swedish League players is not really a done thing and a risk as although they might seem ideal, one can never know for sure if they'll make the changeover. Agree with 'Swin's point but one to live in hope rather than pessimism šŸ˜‚
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:50am