Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: davmariner, June 17, 2019, 2:12pm
From the promotional photos of the new kit, it seems we’ve done away with our traditional red socks. Outrageous if that’s the case!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 17, 2019, 2:17pm; Reply: 1
🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted by: Reverendmariner, June 17, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 2
We MUST have red socks
Posted by: Bigdog, June 17, 2019, 2:31pm; Reply: 3
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Grimsby_Town/Grimsby_Town.htm
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 17, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 4
Always preferred white socks myself
Posted by: RichMariner, June 17, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 5
Got to be red socks. It makes us different from every other well-known club that plays in black and white stripes.
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 17, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from RichMariner
Got to be red socks. It makes us different from every other well-known club that plays in black and white stripes.

From behind we don’t even play in black and white stripes anymore
Posted by: Garth, June 17, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 7
Its not the colour of the socks that matter more the quality of the wearers
Posted by: gtfc98, June 17, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from jimgtfc

We got relegated last time we played in white socks.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, June 17, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from jimgtfc

Heretic :)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, June 17, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 10
I don't mind the socks as much as I mind us not being in full black and white stripes!
Posted by: Kris2, June 17, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from gtfc98

We got relegated last time we played in white socks.

And we only started wearing red socks regularly again while in non league. Unless you're old enough to have been a fan in the 70's then red socks are just a reminder of years of disappointment and failure  ;D. Did the successful Buckley teams that people still rave about wear red socks or white?
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, June 17, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 12
Between 1981 and 2004 we never wore red socks in our first kit. Socks where either black or white
Again we wore white or black socks from 2006 to 2010 as well
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 17, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 13
I remember this conversation the first year we were in the conference. It was considered that red socks brought us good fortune. The club as usual, reading the fishy, promptly changed to red socks for the start of the next season.

A slow acting lucky charm. A good captain would serve us much better.
Posted by: wigworld, June 17, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from somersetmariner
A good captain would serve us much better.

He would if he was wearing red socks,

Posted by: somersetmariner, June 17, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 15
If we’re lucky he’d have red hair too ! #bringbackdiz
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from wigworld

He would if he was wearing red socks,

...and his legs weren't gone   ;)
Posted by: perthgeoff, June 19, 2019, 9:05am; Reply: 17
Regarding red socks. I attended the Mariners first home game after the war. An  evening match versus Wolves,result 0-0.  I remember that the players wore red socks,so there is some form of tradition. Keep the red socks I say,
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 19, 2019, 9:19am; Reply: 18
Quoted from perthgeoff
Regarding red socks. I attended the Mariners first home game after the war. An  evening match versus Wolves,result 0-0.  I remember that the players wore red socks,so there is some form of tradition. Keep the red socks I say,

Christ, Geoff, exactly how old are you?!  I'm not taking the mickey, I'm just interested.  Or are we talking about the Falklands War?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 19, 2019, 9:26am; Reply: 19
2019-20 will be our 99th league season since we adopted black & white stripes as our shirt colours prior to the 1910-11 season. Of those 99 seasons our socks have been:-

Red - 37 seasons
Black - 36 seasons
White - 26 seasons

Which suggests that traditionally we rotate the colour of our socks frequently and none of the colours is much more traditional than the others.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, June 19, 2019, 9:29am; Reply: 20
In fact if you take out the 3 seasons in the early 60s when we had plain white shirts then Red and Black socks were, after last season, tied on 35 seasons each worn with striped shirts. And the coming season will see black go 1 ahead on 36.
Posted by: RichMariner, June 19, 2019, 11:15am; Reply: 21
Just my opinion, of course, but I think red socks makes the whole kit look just a little classier (while making us stand out from other black and white striped kits of other clubs).

Isn't the reason why we introduced red socks linked to a manager who thought his players would be able to pick each other out more easily without having to lift their heads up?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 19, 2019, 11:22am; Reply: 22
Quoted from RichMariner
Just my opinion, of course, but I think red socks makes the whole kit look just a little classier (while making us stand out from other black and white striped kits of other clubs).

Isn't the reason why we introduced red socks linked to a manager who thought his players would be able to pick each other out more easily without having to lift their heads up?

I thought Shankly did something like that at Liverpool. Obv he was manager here too so maybe he did it at both clubs.
Posted by: rancido, June 19, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 23
FFS , three pages of posts on what colour socks we should have! No wonder some people at the club don't take this site seriously ! ;)
Posted by: perthgeoff, June 20, 2019, 6:40am; Reply: 24
Thanks Hisen, no offence taken. I first started supporting the Mariners in 1941 as a 14 year old lad living in Scunthorpe where they played their `home matches`because of  WW2.and have never lost my passion for the club. Now living in OZ, I make sure on my many visits to the UK that I manage to watch at least one match at Blundell Park. Sadly,due to aging problems,that has now come to an end but I still check The Fishy at least once a day without fail.The club comes into a lot of criticism, some of it rightly so but there are good points.Once I reached the age of 85 I became an `Ancient Mariner`,which entitled me to free entry to any or all home matches,to any part of the ground. I am not aware of any other club that offers this,but I could be wrong.
Anyway. the best of luck to my club and all it`s supporters in the future. Rest assured, I will be watching from afar with much interest.                                
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, June 22, 2019, 7:44am; Reply: 25
White Socks for me..but not with shoes
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 22, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 26
Quoted from The Boys Paddock
White Socks for me..but not with shoes

Or Sandles!!
Posted by: Rik e B, June 23, 2019, 11:29am; Reply: 27
Oh I didn't know about the 'Ancient Mariner' thing, a nice touch there 👌🏻
Posted by: White_shorts, July 9, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 28
I don't like red socks because they don't match the shirts at all. They make the club appear amateur. White socks are better than black for visibility.
Posted by: Numanoid, July 9, 2019, 3:20pm; Reply: 29
sodomist it let's have black and white hoops with red piping! Does it really matter as long as we play well?
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 9, 2019, 3:32pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from perthgeoff

Town's traditional away colour was red, but Wolves have regularly played in old gold and black so there may have been a colour clash and so Town may have switched to their change socks.

I remember watching Town v Wolves when Steve Bull and Mark Lever were playing and we wore white shorts to avoid a colour clash.
Posted by: mimma, July 9, 2019, 3:35pm; Reply: 31
I believe that we were the first club to wear coloured shorts and socks in the early 60's. Until then they were either black or white.

I seem to remember that big  Lawrie Mac. changed them back to red socks with the white sleeves when he took over because they were easy to pick out when players had the ball so making it quicker to pass the ball to a Town player..

Whilst on the subject of unusual strips, does anyone remember the thin candy stripes in the sixties? I always thought that they looked smart and made us stand out from any other club that played in stripes.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 9, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 32
I liked the white shirt with the black vee neck and the red shorts but I can't recall what colour the socks were that season, A promotion year I think!
Posted by: billynomates, July 9, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Ipswin
I liked the white shirt with the black vee neck and the red shorts but I can't recall what colour the socks were that season, A promotion year I think!

try this

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Grimsby_Town/Grimsby_Town.htm

Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 9, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from perthgeoff
Thanks Hisen, no offence taken. I first started supporting the Mariners in 1941 as a 14 year old lad living in Scunthorpe where they played their `home matches`because of  WW2.and have never lost my passion for the club. Now living in OZ, I make sure on my many visits to the UK that I manage to watch at least one match at Blundell Park. Sadly,due to aging problems,that has now come to an end but I still check The Fishy at least once a day without fail.The club comes into a lot of criticism, some of it rightly so but there are good points.Once I reached the age of 85 I became an `Ancient Mariner`,which entitled me to free entry to any or all home matches,to any part of the ground. I am not aware of any other club that offers this,but I could be wrong.
Anyway. the best of luck to my club and all it`s supporters in the future. Rest assured, I will be watching from afar with much interest.                                

Someone like yourself should be given free access to iFollow so you can watch the games live from Oz.
Posted by: Perkins, July 9, 2019, 10:43pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from mimma
I believe that we were the first club to wear coloured shorts and socks in the early 60's. Until then they were either black or white.

I seem to remember that big  Lawrie Mac. changed them back to red socks with the white sleeves when he took over because they were easy to pick out when players had the ball so making it quicker to pass the ball to a Town player..

Whilst on the subject of unusual strips, does anyone remember the thin candy stripes in the sixties? I always thought that they looked smart and made us stand out from any other club that played in stripes.

I believe you are correct about the first club to wear shorts other than black navy or white. I also remember watching town in their new red shorts and was so impressed that I told my mum I wanted some. Now those were the days when you couldn't get replica strips , indeed they were unheard of, but a couple of weeks later I got some, where the hell she got them from I dont know, anyway,  i wore them for football at school a couple of days later and was met with catcalls and whistles and comments like "what are you wearing your granny's bloomers for" my face was as red as the shorts. By the end of the season most of me mates were wearing them.
Posted by: lukeo, July 9, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Someone like yourself should be given free access to iFollow so you can watch the games live from Oz.

We could sort that out as a group? :)
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 10:23am