Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, June 15, 2019, 12:19pm
Contract cancelled at Wimbledon.....
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 15, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 1
This is exciting !
Posted by: N2K, June 15, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 2
Signing announced on Monday, was meant to be yesterday but he still had loose ends to tie up at Wimbledon
Posted by: codcheeky, June 15, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 3
What position?
Posted by: Hagrid, June 15, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from codcheeky
What position?

He’s a striker mate. Target man
Posted by: forza ivano, June 15, 2019, 1:34pm; Reply: 5
Here's one for the statto's. When was the last time we had a front 2 who were both in their thirties?

Ps generally positive comments on Wimbledon weird forum.no lack of effort and they think we are getting a decent player.let's hope they're right.pleased with this one
Posted by: bigdavemariner, June 15, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 6
2 experienced forwards will make a massive difference to the likes of vernam, rose and cardwell. An intelligent footballing brain is as important as pace and power for me (look at Gary Jones).
Get some pace down down both wings and at the back next and we're addressing the problems we had last season
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 15, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 7
Would expect Cardwell to go out on loan.  Also suggests a good bit of business selling Burrell.  

The two new guys plus Rose, Vernam and Cook seems like a good set of forwards to have.  I see that the official site lists Cook as a midfielder.

Probably only 3-4 more signings likely now.  Maybe 2-3 more in pre season and a couple of loans later on.

The squad that starts this season is more experienced and  settled than last year and the manager has a year more experience.

Posted by: Davec, June 15, 2019, 2:46pm; Reply: 8
Remember Scott Vernon was experienced😉
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 15, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 9
Looks like " we're going for it" this next season.
Posted by: Sir Matt Tease, June 15, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Gaffer58
Looks like " we're going for it" this next season.

AGAIN !!!!!! ;)

Posted by: Ashby mariner, June 15, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Davec
Remember Scott Vernon was experienced😉

That was my first thought. Shame I'd of preferred Andy Cook but I guess he will probably get better offers.
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 15, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 12
Two goals against Scunny in March lol

[youtube]ZpYCwwvKx2o[/youtube]
Posted by: Abdul19, June 15, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from forza ivano
Here's one for the statto's. When was the last time we had a front 2 who were both in their thirties?

Gary Jones and Tony Thorpe?

I was going to say Scott Vernon and Simeon Jackson but I don't think they played together.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Nelly GTFC
Two goals against Scunny in March lol

[youtube]ZpYCwwvKx2o[/youtube]

I like the look of him  ;)
Posted by: Kris2, June 15, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 15
People seem awfully sure this is a done deal lol. All going to look a bit silly if he turns up at Bradford.  ;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 15, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Kris2
People seem awfully sure this is a done deal lol. All going to look a bit silly if he turns up at Bradford.  ;D

Absolutely Kris...until I hear he has signed on the dotted line for us I will not pass opinion on him..
Posted by: Ipswin, June 15, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from forza ivano

I was rather hoping Jolley would go for at least one youngster up front with a good scoring record in the conference last season. Two zimmer frames in the box at once could cause carnage with corners

Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 15, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 18
Terrible signing if true  :o
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 15, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 19
Same age as a certain Padraig Amond...
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, June 15, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 20
Honestly from comments from other fans and knowing what I personally knew about Green and Hanson if we get him I think we've got a brilliant partnership in the making, only in theory of course but it'll be a great start to building a better team than last year
Posted by: hheh2, June 15, 2019, 5:54pm; Reply: 21
One thing I've noticed about Jolley's signings are that the fans from the clubs they come from rate them compared to Slades signings where they were happy to see them go.
Posted by: sam gy, June 15, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

I was rather hoping Jolley would go for at least one youngster up front with a good scoring record in the conference last season. Two zimmer frames in the box at once could cause carnage with corners

Seen many 31 year olds using Zimmer frames recently?
Posted by: Ipswin, June 15, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from sam gy

You been to Suffolk recently? Look out for Grimsby Pete

Posted by: Grimsby2012, June 15, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from sam gy

Seen plenty at the chiropractors though.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Ipswin

You been to Suffolk recently? Look out for Grimsby Pete

I would like you to know now I have got my two new knees I don't need my Zimmer frame anymore . :P
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 15, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete

I would like you to know now I have got my two new knees I don't need my Zimmer frame anymore . :P

You're not signing on Monday are you?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, June 15, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 27
Are we making some assumptions here? That he will sign for one thing. And if he does, would they both be on the pitch at the same time? They are different types of players, so I'm told, and maybe the manager has it in mind to play horses for courses depending on the opposition or the state of play. Or maybe he intends to play a lone striker but have the players on the bench to mix it up during a game.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, June 15, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 28
Are we making some assumptions here? That he will sign for one thing. And if he does, would they both be on the pitch at the same time? They are different types of players, so I'm told, and maybe the manager has it in mind to play horses for courses depending on the opposition or the state of play. Or maybe he intends to play a lone striker but have the players on the bench to mix it up during a game.

I doubt Hanson and Green would come here to sit on the bench. MJ has said plenty of times that he wants to play with 2 up front. A big man and a quick man is the tried and tested method and you then tweak it during the game (replace Hanson for Rose if they can't handle pace).
Posted by: RichMariner, June 15, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 29
If Hanson does sign next week, I think it's a good bit of business.

I won't try and claim it's a masterstroke, but it's clear from last season that we desperately lacked ideas going forward and once Embleton got injured we were pretty dire in attack.

We were almost entirely dependent on Wes Thomas's goals. He was neither a target man nor a pacy striker playing off the shoulder of the defender. He did well with the little service he got.

Green and Hanson, on the other hand, cover a lot of the attributes we lacked up top last season. They might not be 'the' partnership; one might play with Vernam, or Cook, or Rose... but we'll go into the new season with genuine options in style.

Not to mention experience. Green and Hanson will have plenty to offer our younger players.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 15, 2019, 10:06pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin

Like this one did?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wquwiYF81SE
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, June 15, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

Honestly you are a plank
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 15, 2019, 11:42pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from arryarryarry

You're not signing on Monday are you?

No   ;D
Posted by: 137 (Guest), June 16, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from grimsby pete

No   ;D

Great to read definite news on the Fishy....a lot of what I'm reading strikes me as guesswork/hope.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 17, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 34
Quoted from N2K
Signing announced on Monday, was meant to be yesterday but he still had loose ends to tie up at Wimbledon

Today's the day then   :)

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 17, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 35
How is he only 31? I remember when Bradford played Arsenal in the league cup semi final at home, back in 2012?

they couldn't deal with him at all that night
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), June 17, 2019, 10:43am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
How is he only 31? I remember when Bradford played Arsenal in the league cup semi final at home, back in 2012?

they couldn't deal with him at all that night

Seven years ago!  He would have been 24 then!

Posted by: marinerdazza, June 17, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 37
I'd have expected to hear something by now. Wonder if the rumours about Bradford being interested have any credibility.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 17, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 38
His family are all in bradford so would make sense if they are in for him. Not too fussed either way.

My AFCW supporting mate had this to say about him:

‘Legs definitely on the way out but he puts his all in. Could still be a handful in league 2. Definitely wouldn’t give him a two year contract though.‘

Let’s be realistic he’s a big target man whose best days are behind him. Fine as another option up front but won’t lose any sleep over it if we miss out.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 17, 2019, 5:02pm; Reply: 39
https://twitter.com/ssmagents/status/1140585286772170752?s=21
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 17, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 40
Wouldn’t surprise me if this signing has hit the usual GTFC snags!!

It’s ever so quiet at BP!! I get the impression that we are going to be fighting for scraps!!
Posted by: mimma, June 17, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 41
Bradford have signed Clayton Donaldson from Bolton as their target man. Don't think they will need Hanson as well.

Good signing by the Bantams.
Posted by: N2K, June 17, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 42
Very surprised that there is still no announcement... I wonder what the hold up is?
Posted by: queenybantam07, June 17, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mimma
Bradford have signed Clayton Donaldson from Bolton as their target man. Don't think they will need Hanson as well.

Good signing by the Bantams.

Very unlikely Hanson will come back here. He wouldn’t get a look in, tbh.

We’re expected to sign James Vaughan tomorrow.

Eoin Doyle, Clayton Donaldson, James Vaughan and Shay McCartan would all be ahead of him.

He needs games. A move to you lot would be a decent choice.
Posted by: Pogo, June 17, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from queenybantam07

Very unlikely Hanson will come back here. He wouldn’t get a look in, tbh.

We’re expected to sign James Vaughan tomorrow.

Eoin Doyle, Clayton Donaldson, James Vaughan and Shay McCartan would all be ahead of him.

He needs games. A move to you lot would be a decent choice.

That bunch of forwards you’ve got their will be tearing this league to bits!
Posted by: queenybantam07, June 17, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Pogo

Here’s hoping.
Posted by: codcheeky, June 17, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Pogo

That’s what Notts County thought last year
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 17, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from psgmariner
His family are all in bradford so would make sense if they are in for him. Not too fussed either way.

My AFCW supporting mate had this to say about him:

‘Legs definitely on the way out but he puts his all in. Could still be a handful in league 2. Definitely wouldn’t give him a two year contract though.‘

Let’s be realistic he’s a big target man whose best days are behind him. Fine as another option up front but won’t lose any sleep over it if we miss out.

My son who used to be a Dons ST holder, and stays in touch via his mates who still are, said something similar. 'Scored 9 goals in last 3 seasons. At Wimbledon last year. Apart from a brace against scunny he did nothing. Very good player but can never stay fit. Only Plays about 15-20 games a season'. Not writing him off but not expecting the second coming of Lumpaldinho either.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 17, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Pogo

That bunch of forwards you’ve got there will SHOULD be tearing this league to bits!

Corrected for you!
Posted by: chaos33, June 17, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 49
Wish we had Shay McCartan. Great player.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 18, 2019, 5:29am; Reply: 50
Some suggestions that he may be going elsewhere. Only rumoured on Social Media but it has gone extrelmely quiet, that’s for sure!!
Posted by: Pogo, June 18, 2019, 6:53am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Les Brechin

Corrected for you!

Brilliant! Thanks for the correction
Posted by: jordsmithGTFC, June 18, 2019, 8:20am; Reply: 52
I would imagine he will be announced today or tomorrow.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 18, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 53
Where did this rumour even come from?
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, June 18, 2019, 10:05am; Reply: 54
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Where did this rumour even come from?

He was (allegedly) seen buying his season ticket and or kit for the new season at the club shop the other day.

He was definitely in the club shop though..apparently.

Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 18, 2019, 10:06am; Reply: 55
The more I think about it the less I like the idea of this signing
Posted by: mimma, June 18, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 56
If nothing else it demonstrates that Jolley has recognised that we need a big centre forward to hold up the ball in this league.
Posted by: Garth, June 18, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 57
No good if they can't keep away from injuries, only played a few games last season
Posted by: sam gy, June 18, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 58
Bit more than a few...he started 22 and made 12 sub appearances in all competitions.
Posted by: N2K, June 18, 2019, 11:56am; Reply: 59
Quoted from N2K

A day late but the Hanson announcement is imminent at 12pm!
Posted by: psgmariner, June 18, 2019, 11:59am; Reply: 60
Club have tweeted mmmmbop so unless they've been hacked it's Hanson!
Posted by: pizzzza, June 18, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from N2K

Wow, you are so #itk
Posted by: forza ivano, June 18, 2019, 12:03pm; Reply: 62

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1140937199233327105

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZPyrthbUuU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6kuFVhZXQ0
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 18, 2019, 12:06pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from forza ivano

Must be fake news. You post nothing but BS.  At least according to Kris2.😄
Posted by: pontoonlew, June 18, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 64
Think this could turn out to be a good signing, his record at this level is superb and he’s been playing at a much higher level since.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 18, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 65
2 good experienced strikers on the books,

Can we have a bit more expectation this season now MJ ?   8) 8)
Posted by: N2K, June 18, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from pizzzza

Wow, you are so #itk

Wow, you are so interesting!
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 18, 2019, 12:14pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from N2K

Well done Nathen I think you have got it right in the past as well,

I will keep my eye on you  ;D

Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 18, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 68
Liking this one and dare I say it attitude seems right.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, June 18, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 69
Here's hoping him and Green click
Posted by: N2K, June 18, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from grimsby pete

Well done Nathen I think you have got it right in the past as well,

I will keep my eye on you  ;D

I am far from “ITK” but when I post something, I’m usually 100% sure!!
Posted by: denni266, June 18, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 71
Good signing for this level, especially if we can keep him fit
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 18, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 72
The front line has significantly improved already
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 18, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
The front line has significantly improved already

I agree these two experienced players with Vernam,Cook and Rose are some threat at League 2 level.
Posted by: Jackie Lewis, June 18, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 74
Does this mean Caldwell is surplus to requirements and could go out on loan. Or maybe Rose out on loan to the conference to give him regular football and a better chance of boosting his goal tally.
Posted by: livosnose, June 18, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 75
Albeit 7 years ago , I went to every Bradford game in that cup run to the final and Hanson was unplayable at times.  A key part to his success will be the quality of the delivery to him from Hendrie.  Some of the balls Hendrie put into Thomas last year were quality and if we can replicate that and keep him fit we will do well !
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 18, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 76
Both Green and Hanson will expect to start/require a strike partner so you'd think that means 2 up front. Does this mean a continuation of 5-3-2? We've also apparently been in the market for Devitt so maybe 442.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 18, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 77

Anyway.......welcome to GTFC James Hanson.
Posted by: GTFCH, June 18, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 78
Welcome James. Feel free to set up an account on here and tell us who else MJ has got his eye on!  ;)
Posted by: GrimRob, June 18, 2019, 1:25pm; Reply: 79
So we are going to have a strikeforce of Hanson and Grettle (well Green but's it close)?
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 18, 2019, 1:30pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from GrimRob
So we are going to have a strikeforce of Hanson and Grettle (well Green but's it close)?

Delete your account.
Posted by: grimsbybrown, June 18, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from GrimRob

Close GrimRob but no cigar for that one...
Posted by: grimsbybrown, June 18, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Mariner93er
Both Green and Hanson will expect to start/require a strike partner so you'd think that means 2 up front. Does this mean a continuation of 5-3-2? We've also apparently been in the market for Devitt so maybe 442.

Not so sure about 442, we were our most fluent with 433 last season, but if Cook, Vernam, Whitehouse and Wright are all still here in August then 4132 may not be a bad guess for Jolley’s plans.
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 18, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Mariner93er

It's been said before by others, but I feel that 3 or 5 at the back is too advanced for players at this level.  It has to be 4-4-2, unless the players really buy into MJ's wing back philosophy and completely stick to his instructions and 'get it' from day 1.

I know that I've played a game recently in a 4-3-3, and even that was a nightmare to understand!  A full back needs a winger/wide midfielder to pass to, or you'll constantly give the ball away.  Well, at least that's MY excuse!
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 18, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 84
Couple of people don’t seem too happy at this signing, I can see what they’re saying but I think you need to look at the bigger picture with this one.

Is he going to score 20 goals this season? Probably not. I’d also highly doubt he’ll figure in all 46 league games. But look at what he could give us. He’ll provide a way of us holding the ball upfield, too often last season we cleared the ball and it just came straight back at us. He’ll be a threat in the air, not necessarily scoring himself but winning flick ons and knock downs. He’ll also be good at defending set pieces with his height and presence. He gives us an option to play in a different way and change the game, not by just going long which some naively think you have to when you have a 6”4 striker, but by working the ball into wide areas to deliver crosses towards him. We’ve also lost a lot of experienced heads in the dressing room recently and this guy will cover that.

All in all, I’m very happy with the signing of James Hanson. I think he’ll be the type of player who will win us points, maybe not by scoring bucket loads and grabbing the headlines, but by doing a lot of the unseen donkey work. That for me is priceless at this level.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 18, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 85
Presumably, when he came to the ground to sign,  he nearly came by cab?  (Cryptic comment).  

....................taxi for me.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 18, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 86
493 games  141 goals tells me he has not been injury prone during his career like some have said,

Started 29 games last season with another 5 coming on as a sub.

Welcome James hope you strike up a good partnership with Matt Green.
Posted by: RonMariner, June 18, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from GrimRob

Stick to the day job mate.......
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 18, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 88
Very good signing 👍
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 18, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 89

GTFC Official Site.

James Hanson's Goals.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nszTx_FzGIA
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, June 18, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 90
Cup run specialist
Posted by: jimgtfc, June 18, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 91
One thing is clear from that video, we need someone who can cross a ball properly to get the best out of him.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 18, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 92
Having scored two goals to beat scunny to help them go down, he's already a Mariners legend
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 19, 2019, 8:12am; Reply: 93
For a tall guy, people assume you will win the headers... well this guy certainly does that, but he also has a wicked shot on him!
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 20, 2019, 6:45am; Reply: 94
Well the problem is he will need the ball playing into the box. unless we go longball and lump it, based on last season he aint getting the ball.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:04am