Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), June 11, 2019, 5:25am
Some great names linked with us!! Interesting what the next few weeks bring and if there is any truth in some of these names, STs will start to sell too.

A little bit more positivity creeping back in too! I think the Takeover rumours are a little wide of the mark (we can but hope)!

The biggest positive for me so far is that MJ is selling the Club as ‘We are going to go for it this season!’

Fingers crossed that there are some great names incoming!!

UTM
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 11, 2019, 7:39am; Reply: 1
Sounds like the fire brigade roll call in Trumpton.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, June 11, 2019, 7:52am; Reply: 2
Linked is one thing getting them to sign on the dotted is another , but staying hopeful this club our club badly needs some success it’s been 20 years ffs
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 11, 2019, 8:07am; Reply: 3
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Linked is one thing getting them to sign on the dotted is another , but staying hopeful this club our club badly needs some success it’s been 20 years ffs

Based on nothing at all I am still hopeful that a resurgent Town side at the right end of the table from the start could see the SOLD OUT signs for home games and get some much needed momentum . We need a start and some goals scored in games on the field and some positive news off the field.....
Posted by: Abdul19, June 11, 2019, 8:59am; Reply: 4
Will Mumba and Hanson be signing once their Butlins concert contracts have expired?
Posted by: RoboCod, June 11, 2019, 11:14am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Abdul19
Will Mumba and Hanson be signing once their Butlins concert contracts have expired?

The team running out to MMMBop would be quite something ( :-/)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 11, 2019, 11:20am; Reply: 6
Quoted from 1542
Some great names linked with us!! Interesting what the next few weeks bring and if there is any truth in some of these names, STs will start to sell too.

A little bit more positivity creeping back in too! I think the Takeover rumours are a little wide of the mark (we can but hope)!

The biggest positive for me so far is that MJ is selling the Club as ‘We are going to go for it this season!’

Fingers crossed that there are some great names incoming!!

UTM

Don't fall for it!

Lets see how "going for it" pans out in terms of actual signings.
Posted by: grimsby pete, June 11, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 7

Don't fall for it!

Lets see how "going for it" pans out in terms of actual signings.

We were told not to have such high expectations last season and the FGR loss might have brought us down to earth,

So I like you will wait until we have signed all the players coming in before I except we are going for it this season.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 11, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 8
I love the summer optimism and I intend to fully immerse myself in it and savour it before the crash inevitably happens.

Hell, I am even excited that we've signed a 32 year old striker with 4 goals who Salford don't want!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 11, 2019, 12:43pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from psgmariner
I love the summer optimism and I intend to fully immerse myself in it and savour it before the crash inevitably happens.

Hell, I am even excited that we've signed a 32 year old striker with 4 goals who Salford don't want!

Sounds like your new beers going down a treat  ;D
Posted by: lee65, June 11, 2019, 1:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from psgmariner

Love it PSG, false hope is what the summer is all about for us long term Mariners fans  :)

I remember the optimism when we signed former Brentford captain and player of the year Matt Heywood, and that lasted right up until we kicked off, and Kevin Ellison ran rings around him   :(

Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 11, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from lee65

Love it PSG, false hope is what the summer is all about for us long term Mariners fans  :)

I remember the optimism when we signed former Brentford captain and player of the year Matt Heywood, and that lasted right up until we kicked off, and Kevin Ellison ran rings around him   :(

We should have signed Ellison years ago bloody great player at our level.
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 11, 2019, 2:10pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from psgmariner

Didn’t Salford want him? You maybe right but not seen anything confirming this. Maybe he didn’t want to be their due to location, or maybe, like Arnold, he thought that the place was unprofessional and wanted out himself?

Not sure which of the above is correct but people seem to be assuming that Salford didn’t want him
Posted by: Meza, June 11, 2019, 3:36pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Posh Harry

Didn’t Salford want him? You maybe right but not seen anything confirming this. Maybe he didn’t want to be their due to location, or maybe, like Arnold, he thought that the place was unprofessional and wanted out himself?

Not sure which of the above is correct but people seem to be assuming that Salford didn’t want him

He said in his own words from the horses mouth that traveling to Manchester was the main reason and wanted something closer to his family.
Posted by: psgmariner, June 11, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 14
I'm not sure whose decision it was.

Sure it was reported as him being released originally, but don't suppose he was bothered if he was travelling all that way so perhaps a mutual decision. Anyway Salford reject or not, fingers crossed he rediscovers his form of a few years ago.
Posted by: Kris2, June 11, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from lee65

Well it wasn't that difficult considering Matt Heywood had the speed and turning ability of a fridge.
Posted by: lee65, June 11, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 16
And that's being unkind to the fridge.....

……, he had Richard Hope giving cover though  :)
Posted by: psgmariner, June 13, 2019, 9:46am; Reply: 17
Radio Humberside suggesting Hanson willing to take a pay cut to secure a move back up north.
Posted by: Kris2, June 13, 2019, 10:27am; Reply: 18
Quoted from lee65
And that's being unkind to the fridge.....

……, he had Richard Hope giving cover though  :)

At least we can laugh about all this stuff now. We've come a long way since we had the fridge and Bambi on ice in defence.
Posted by: SomeSanity, June 13, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Kris2

At least we can laugh about all this stuff now. We've come a long way since we had the fridge and Bambi on ice in defence.

We actually haven’t though.  We are pretty much exactly the same position as when they played for us.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 13, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 20
Quoted from psgmariner
Radio Humberside suggesting Hanson willing to take a pay cut to secure a move back up north.

Would be a great signing!

Would get around 10 goals, and boost Green and the midfielders record
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 13, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Kris2

Have we??

We went into non league after them, and now find ourselves in the same, or slightly worse position in league 2.
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 13, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 22
How can you possibly compare our situation in League 2 mid way through the summer, when the fixtures haven't even been released, we've made one signing and havent even kicked a ball in pre season.
Posted by: mariner91, June 13, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 23

Have we??

We went into non league after them, and now find ourselves in the same, or slightly worse position in league 2.

I would be stunned if we started this season with a centre back pairing that is even remotely comparable to the shambles that was Heywood and Hope.
Posted by: jaygy, June 13, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 24
If we start the season with Ludwig on his own at the back it’d be better than Heywood and Hope together!
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 13, 2019, 1:55pm; Reply: 25

Have we??

Seeing that "we went into non league after them" (in your own words), how on earth can we be in a slighty worse position now?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 13, 2019, 2:52pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Les Brechin

Seeing that "we went into non league after them" (in your own words), how on earth can we be in a slighty worse position now?

The poster I replied to stated "we have come a long way since those two defenders were here."

My reply was that obviously we have not come a long way since then; we got even worse when we got relegated and last seasons 17th placed finish is slightly worse than when they were playing.

I haven'tt looked it up where we finished that season as I am making the obvious point that we have not "come a long way" at all; at best we are where we started - strugglers in league  2.

I think it is about time everybody admitted we have been rubbish for nearly two decades; we have had some individuals who have lit things up like Reddy and Connell, but have remained stuck in leagues 4 and 5 and show absolutely no sign of doing anything about it.

Splitting hairs about which was the worst centre half pairing is missing the point.
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 13, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 27

The poster I replied to stated "we have come a long way since those two defenders were here."

My reply was that obviously we have not come a long way since then; we got even worse when we got relegated and last seasons 17th placed finish is slightly worse than when they were playing.

I haven'tt looked it up where we finished that season as I am making the obvious point that we have not "come a long way" at all; at best we are where we started - strugglers in league  2.

I think it is about time everybody admitted we have been rubbish for nearly two decades; we have had some individuals who have lit things up like Reddy and Connell, but have remained stuck in leagues 4 and 5 and show absolutely no sign of doing anything about it.

Splitting hairs about which was the worst centre half pairing is missing the point.

Still, at least we won't be having a squad of alcoholics representing us next season as we did the season after Hope was here.  ;)
Posted by: RichMariner, June 13, 2019, 3:14pm; Reply: 28
I interpreted 'coming a long way' as a journey, as in 'we've been to the depths of non-league and emerged from it'.

We're back at the same starting point, but we've had a lot to reflect on since the days of Hope & Heywood.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 13, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 29
Hanson APPARENTLY at the club shop today...
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, June 13, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Why do all potential signings have to visit the club shop before hand. Do they have to buy their own kit or something?

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 13, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Why do all potential signings have to visit the club shop before hand. Do they have to buy their own kit or something?

I think its more a case of being shown around, and being introduced to the staff
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 13, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Just started the 2nd verse of Mmm Bop I heard.   ;)
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 13, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 33

;D

I've always wondered this. "I'm not signing until I'm satisfied you have adequate retail facilities".
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, June 13, 2019, 3:54pm; Reply: 34
Every new signing protocol... it's more of visiting the stadium than the club shop.
Posted by: LH, June 13, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 35

Don’t give them any ideas...
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, June 13, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from LH

Don’t give them any ideas...

Oh sh*t...deletes post. (Prays its not too late).  ;D
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, June 13, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Still, at least we won't be having a squad of alcoholics representing us next season as we did the season after Hope was here.  ;)

I hope you are right, but who can tell? Last year our star signing had a police case hanging over him. It beggars belief we couldn't have found that out, or if we did know what the hell were we playing at? The alcoholics team may have been the lowest point, but we are still in the doldrums years later, in the same division, and indeed last time out we were at the bottom end of that.

I cannot believe the current regime are not getting more stick, but I guess this season people will vote with their feet.
Posted by: blundellpork, June 13, 2019, 6:59pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just started the 2nd verse of Mmm Bop I heard.   ;)

Mmm Shop?

Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, July 1, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 39
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stewart-donald-reveals-what-take-16508984
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 40
I hope I'm wrong but I struggle to see how he could turn down a 2 year deal at Sunderland to join us. I wonder if he's used our interest as a way of trying to improve his deal and get some guarantees from Sunderland.
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 1, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I hope I'm wrong but I struggle to see how he could turn down a 2 year deal at Sunderland to join us. I wonder if he's used our interest as a way of trying to improve his deal and get some guarantees from Sunderland.

I agree. And I don't blame him if he has.

Great to have him here last season and it gets us a reputation for playing and developing players like this. But I can't imagine we're seriously in the frame.
Posted by: You stripes UTM, July 1, 2019, 10:47am; Reply: 42
Supposedly turned down because he believes he wouldn't get first team football there. I can't see him coming to Town, the ONLY chance he could is Jolley trying to sell him the idea of us 'going for it' this season and attempting promotion. Maybe even a one year deal could tempt him. But I highly doubt it, can all hope I suppose.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, July 1, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 43
Wouldn't we have to pay compensation as he's under 23? Not sure we'd go for a one-year contract if paying compensation.
Posted by: You stripes UTM, July 1, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Southwark Mariner
Wouldn't we have to pay compensation as he's under 23? Not sure we'd go for a one-year contract if paying compensation.

Ah yeah quite possibly. I believe he would only come here if we thought we could get promoted to L1.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, July 1, 2019, 2:41pm; Reply: 45
Similar situation to when Scunny signed Martin Paterson. They ended up paying 400k at tribunal, but he scored plenty for them and sold for a profit.
To seriously try and get Embleton would be a risky and ambitious move that the current board are not capable of.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 1, 2019, 2:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from headingly_mariner

To seriously try and get Embleton would be a risky and ambitious move that the current board are not capable of.

Not one that any future board would be capable of either I suspect
Posted by: gtfc98, July 1, 2019, 2:57pm; Reply: 47
There's no way Embleton is coming here!
Posted by: Welwynmariner, July 1, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from gtfc98
There's no way Embleton is coming here!

The thing is that Sunderland have a load of midfielders many of whom are likely to be ahead of Embleton this season - Leadbitter, Cattermole, Ethan Robson, Honeyman, McGeady, Gooch and O'Nien for example. Their best approach might be to loan him out to a side in League 2 just to keep him for the longer term.

A bit of an embarrassment of riches for them to handle
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 1, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 49
Embleton has offers from the Championship and SPL. He’s not coming here, although I wish he would!
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), July 5, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 50
Is it really beyond the realms of possibility that Embleton could actually come back here?
Posted by: Meza, July 5, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 51
Nope not a chance.  According to the Sunderland chronicle they seem to think he has signed although there is nothing official.
Posted by: ROKERITE, July 5, 2019, 6:07pm; Reply: 52
Actually Embleton is one of two youngsters who haven't signed yet though it is expected he will. If you could bring in Mumba on loan and Mr Jolley can get his best out of him you'd have a very good replacement but he ought really be in our first-team squad.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 9:51pm