Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 7, 2019, 12:53pm
To groundshare with Birmingham City next season.

A 40 mile round trip for a home game!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48557082
Posted by: psgmariner, June 7, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 1
Rich foreign owners and a new ground does not always end well....
Posted by: mimma, June 7, 2019, 1:08pm; Reply: 2
Coventry council are part of the consortium that run the Ricoh. So the football club are being shafted by their own council.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 7, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from mimma
Coventry council are part of the consortium that run the Ricoh. So the football club are being shafted by their own council.

Thought Wasps owned the Ricoh Arena now
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, June 7, 2019, 2:30pm; Reply: 4
I got 'stung' for a pint when I went there with Town the other season
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 7, 2019, 2:41pm; Reply: 5
I thought it was Saracens, but I could be wrong
Posted by: immariner, June 7, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin

An 80-90 mile round trip for a home game!!

Yeah, if they go via Nuneaton! It's 18 miles each way.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, June 7, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 7
A45 from Cov to Brum's ground - probs take around 45mins to an hour each way

Better than last time when they had to play at Northampton!! Hardly any of them turned up
Posted by: Les Brechin, June 7, 2019, 3:30pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from immariner

Yeah, if they go via Nuneston! It's 18 miles each way.

Oops, yeah sorry. I just looked on Google maps and that's what it said.

Must have put something in wrong though. Just looked again and 19.1 miles is the shortest it says but quickest route is 22.3 miles.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, June 7, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from The Yard Dog

Thought Wasps owned the Ricoh Arena now

Me too. Asking Coventry supporters to go to Brum is never going to happen so I reckon we'll soon see them relegated.

They must be regretting selling Highfield Road now
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 7, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 10
How can they make any money, surely Birmingham are not letting them play for free!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, June 7, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
How can they make any money, surely Birmingham are not letting them play for free!

They were not making any money at the Ricoh, Coventry City were tenants. The local council and the Higgs charity owed the stadium, bought out by Wasps in 2014.

In April 2017 the Ricoh Arena was listed by FourFourTwo magazine as the worst stadium of all 92 in the Premier League and English Football League, citing “a depressing experience” in an “often soulless atmosphere in a virtually empty stadium”.
Posted by: mimma, June 7, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 12
Saw Muse there. It's a nice stadium but too big for Coventry, hence no atmosphere. It's also a long way out of the city so some Coventry fans might have less to travel to games.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 7, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 13
Bet Jimmy Hill is turning in his grave. A once stable top flight club hawking themselves around all and sundry to borrow a ground to play at. Shameful of the EFL/Owners/Council et all.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 8, 2019, 2:57am; Reply: 14
Quoted from moosey_club
Bet Jimmy Hill is turning in his grave. A once stable top flight club hawking themselves around all and sundry to borrow a ground to play at. Shameful of the EFL/Owners/Council et all.

And people still don’t understand why clubs should be owned by the fans.

And if most were, they could say intercourse off to the League and set up their own competition.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 8, 2019, 5:15am; Reply: 15
And this is happening just down the road from them!

https://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/news/leamington-fc-s-new-ground-could-also-be-commercial-hub-1-8884332
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 8, 2019, 7:30am; Reply: 16
I heard a Cov fan on talkSPORT yesterday. He wasn’t exactly complimentary about the EFL .
Posted by: Gaffer58, June 8, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 17
Hyperthetically, if the EFL or safety officer was to decide that the main stand and Osmond were no longer safe, dud to age and the wood, so our ground had to be closed where would Town play, cannot see scunny or the l'imps being popular.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 10, 2019, 9:39pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Gaffer58
Hyperthetically, if the EFL or safety officer was to decide that the main stand and Osmond were no longer safe, dud to age and the wood, so our ground had to be closed where would Town play, cannot see scunny or the l'imps being popular.

Blundell Park...plenty of seats spare in the rest of the ground to accommodate the average home gate, isnt there ?
Posted by: denni266, June 11, 2019, 2:13pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from moosey_club

Blundell Park...plenty of seats spare in the rest of the ground to accommodate the average home gate, isnt there ?

Fenty could move up a bit.. plenty of empty  seats around him on match days  ;)
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 10:54am