Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 25, 2019, 12:19pm
Just been told we have offered him a deal, but he's not making any decisions yet as he has a few on the table

Remember him being class 1st time round, poor 2nd time round, but Carlisle fans gutted he's left
Posted by: forza ivano, May 25, 2019, 12:34pm; Reply: 1
Wouldn't be unhappy with that
Posted by: Grantley, May 25, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 2
Think he’ll go to the SPL.
Posted by: Misterton Mariner, May 25, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 3
Player of the year for the Cumbrians 2018-9.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 25, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 4
He'd be a tidy signing, brilliant first time around ok second, don't agree that he was poor, but Shouty didn't seem so keen for some reason.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 25, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 5
Would be pleasantly surprised if he signs.
Posted by: Rick12, May 25, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Just been told we have offered him a deal, but he's not making any decisions yet as he has a few on the table

Remember him being class 1st time round, poor 2nd time round, but Carlisle fans gutted he's left
Has ability and you dont loose that.Maybe needs the right manager to get the best out of him?

Posted by: jimgtfc, May 25, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 7
Swindon, Oldham, Hibs and even Hull City credited with an interest. Would be very surprised if he ended up here.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, May 25, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Grantley
Think he’ll go to the SPL.

Massive step down in my opinion 😂
Posted by: Davec, May 25, 2019, 4:19pm; Reply: 9
Absoloute no chance he will sign for us
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 25, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 10
Just another rumour taking up another thread...can't see for one minute Devitt coming to us...he'll be leaving Carlisle to try and play at a higher level than league 2...even though the Scottish prem ain't much higher!!😂😂
Posted by: chaos33, May 25, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 11
Well, with possible exception of Celtic, the SPL is no higher in general standard that the conference or L2 at a push. I've no idea what the wages are like.
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm ambivalent about Devitt. Can't see what the fuss is about him. Technically good but physically weak. Goes missing. Past his best. Big ego. Not @arsed at all.
Posted by: Kris2, May 25, 2019, 10:50pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
Well, with possible exception of Celtic, the SPL is no higher in general standard that the conference or L2 at a push. I've no idea what the wages are like.
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm ambivalent about Devitt. Can't see what the fuss is about him. Technically good but physically week. Goes missing. Past his best. Big ego. Not @arsed at all.

He was good for one loan move, not that good when he came back for another one. Bit of a pattern with loan players we bring back or sign full time really.
Posted by: we will return, May 25, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from chaos33
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm ambivalent about Devitt. Can't see what the fuss is about him. Technically good but physically week. Goes missing. Past his best. Big ego. Not @arsed at all.

Past his best, yet won player of the year for Carlisle? What sort of calibre player do you want us to sign?

Think he'd be an excellent addition and something different to what we curently have. Although if the alleged interest from Hull/SPL is true I dont see us having much chance.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 25, 2019, 11:24pm; Reply: 14
His name was regularly mentioned on the EFL highlights program last season for Carlisle so obviously he’s a player worth having at L2 standard. Sounds like he’s grown up from the player we had on loan the second time round . I’d have him every day but think the problem will be ££££ as usual.
Posted by: chaos33, May 25, 2019, 11:31pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from we will return

Past his best, yet won player of the year for Carlisle? What sort of calibre player do you want us to sign?

Think he'd be an excellent addition and something different to what we curently have. Although if the alleged interest from Hull/SPL is true I dont see us having much chance.

He's nigh on 30 and known for his inconsistency. Carlisle are nothing special. Player of the year - great. I'm not interested. Just my opinion. I'm never big on bringing players back (although I'd make an exception for  Amond). I can't see any way that Hull, or a club in the Champ/L1 would go after a 30 year old from L2.
I'd rather us go after skilful players in their early 20's with something to prove.
Posted by: livosnose, May 26, 2019, 12:32am; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33

He's nigh on 30 and known for his inconsistency. Carlisle are nothing special. Player of the year - great. I'm not interested. Just my opinion. I'm never big on bringing players back (although I'd make an exception for  Amond). I can't see any way that Hull, or a club in the Champ/L1 would go after a 30 year old from L2.
I'd rather us go after skilful players in their early 20's with something to prove.

He’s 28

Posted by: Welwynmariner, May 26, 2019, 3:49am; Reply: 17
Quoted from livosnose

He’s 28

He'll be 29 by the start of next season, although I've always thought he had a lot of ability so wouldn't say no to having him back.
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2019, 7:43am; Reply: 18
Sorry yes, almost 29 not 30. Alright I was just being argumentative for the sake of it really.  Not somebody I'd be bothered about signing, that's all.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 26, 2019, 7:55am; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33

Who is 31 years of age...
Posted by: Posh Harry, May 26, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 20
Quoted from chaos33
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I'm ambivalent about Devitt. Can't see what the fuss is about him. Technically good but physically weak. Goes missing. Past his best. Big ego. Not @arsed at all.

Just to clarify, are you talking about you or Devitt?

The last thing we need is a winger who can deliver a ball, take a free kick etc etc. Ego? Footballer? If we say no to that we won’t have a team ffs.
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2019, 9:44am; Reply: 21
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Who is 31 years of age...

Did you notice and understand the use of the word ‘exception’?
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2019, 9:45am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Posh Harry

Just to clarify, are you talking about you or Devitt?

The last thing we need is a winger who can deliver a ball, take a free kick etc etc. Ego? Footballer? If we say no to that we won’t have a team ffs.

Just because I’m being peevish, doesn’t mean you have to be. Calm down. You like him. So do lots of others. Fine. I’m not bothered. It’s just a view.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 26, 2019, 9:52am; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33

Just because I’m being peevish, doesn’t mean you have to be. Calm down. You like him. So do lots of others. Fine. I’m not bothered. It’s just a view.

I'm sure there'll be a lot more "peevishness" this summer transfer window Chaos..
Posted by: forza ivano, May 26, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33

Love the bit about carlisle.fyi they finished just 3 points off the play offs,a standard we can only dream of attaining
Posted by: Superdan147, May 26, 2019, 11:00am; Reply: 25
What the hell are we doing wanting to sign a lad that’s just got the 27 goals + 27 assists in the last 3 season (100 appearances) why aren’t we signing messi or Ronaldo. I’m sure they’d jump at the chance of joining a lower half league two team with one of the lowest budgets in the EFL. I can’t believe some of the nonsense I read on here.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 26, 2019, 11:10am; Reply: 26
Whoever we sign, the key thing is that we use them in a way that plays to their strengths. Better to get the best out of an average player than waste a more skilful player in the wrong role. No point putting a square peg in a round hole.  Look at Matt. Was a walking disaster for us, but in the Newport side was a real handful.

Jolley must come up with a planned approach, and sign players who will do specific jobs in that system. So far he has had two transfer windows and as far as I can see we are still a long way from having any settled system. At times the players looked totally lost last season.

I think this window and the first few weeks of the new season will be make or break for him.
Posted by: chaos33, May 26, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 27
Quoted from forza ivano

Love the bit about carlisle.fyi they finished just 3 points off the play offs,a standard we can only dream of attaining

Thanks. I did know that.
Posted by: devs, May 26, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 28
GTFC under Jolley need an identity
The point about Matt and Newport is a good one - not my cup of tea in terms of playing style but at least they have one
We are neither a fast-paced good footballing team or a direct 'lump it to the target man' team
We fall between two stools although I suspect he prefers the former option

MJ needs to resolve this issue over the summer otherwise it will spell trouble for him and us

A 'Devitt-type' is exactly what we need - creativity and goals alongside the 'legs' of Harry and Hess
Posted by: Mariners_15, May 26, 2019, 12:40pm; Reply: 29
Think he'd be a good signing, was crying out for wide men last season. Could location play into our hands on this one? Hull lad isn't he?
Posted by: sam gy, May 26, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 30
Absolute breath of fresh air during his first loan spell....helped give us a fighting chance when we looked dead and buried. Especially remember him playing that last game at Burton with some sort of arm injury.

Second spell I’m sure he was coming back from an injury if I remember right? Wasn’t quite fit.

Since then he’s established himself as a very decent player at this level...what’s there not to like? Doubt we’d be able to get him, mind.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 26, 2019, 1:56pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Mariners_15
Think he'd be a good signing, was crying out for wide men last season. Could location play into our hands on this one? Hull lad isn't he?

Apparently hull are one of the teams interested in him!
Posted by: fiveallive, May 26, 2019, 2:17pm; Reply: 32
Devitt has been excellent the last couple of years for Carlisle probably the best spell of his career.
Posted by: mimma, May 26, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from sam gy
Absolute breath of fresh air during his first loan spell....helped give us a fighting chance when we looked dead and buried. Especially remember him playing that last game at Burton with some sort of arm injury.

Second spell I’m sure he was coming back from an injury if I remember right? Wasn’t quite fit.

Since then he’s established himself as a very decent player at this level...what’s there not to like? Doubt we’d be able to get him, mind.

He was running the game for us in the last game at Burton until a defender took him out. He played on with his arm in a sling but had to come off. Cost us the game IMHO. The defender only got a yellow, Devitt got a broken collarbone.
Posted by: RichMariner, May 26, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 34
I appreciate there are a lot of fans on this board who like to instantly dismiss the idea of a former player coming back to play for us because, rightly or wrongly, we should just 'move on'.

But let's be objective about this. Let's, for argument's sake, remove the fact that he's played for us before.

Just look at his career stats. Look at what we were missing last season. Would he be a good signing? Absolutely.

Will it happen? Seems unlikely in my opinion but he might have ties to this area like Ben Davies. Who knows. All I know is that he's a very good (and proven) creative player at this level, and we're crying out for creative players.
Posted by: Davec, May 26, 2019, 3:05pm; Reply: 35
More chance of us signing Belinda Carlisle than Jamie Devitt from Carlisle
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 26, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 36
He won't come here, he'll want paying a wage.
Posted by: denni266, May 27, 2019, 2:29am; Reply: 37
I think we will do the usuall.. Look in harrods while goint to the airport to see what we cant  afford.. on the way back nip in sainsburys and morisons for a couple of bits.. Get most from asda thats running out of date, and fill up from poundland. hey presto or team for the season
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 27, 2019, 4:37am; Reply: 38
Quoted from denni266
I think we will do the usuall.. Look in harrods while goint to the airport to see what we cant  afford.. on the way back nip in sainsburys and morisons for a couple of bits.. Get most from asda thats running out of date, and fill up from poundland. hey presto or team for the season

I remember presto's well
Posted by: Rick12, May 27, 2019, 7:32am; Reply: 39
Quoted from denni266
Quite witty  ;)

Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 27, 2019, 8:00am; Reply: 40
If we sign any kind of winger, I would be relieved as Jolley would be moving away from the 3-5-2 system that pretty much ended any chance creation. Deviit is in his prime and would be a great signing.
Posted by: Maringer, May 27, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 41
You wouldn't think that 'Ull would be interested unless their budget is even lower than you would expect. Devitt Mk. I was very good for us and, as others have mentioned, he was one of the few bright sparks from the relegation season - he tried to play on at Burton when clearly injured and obviously gave a toss unlike most of the wasters from that squad who we've heard about in recent weeks.

His second spell was very disappointing for one reason or another, but he's obviously found his feet at Carlisle. Providing he could fit in to our formation, he would be a good signing. I don't think I'd be breaking the bank for him, mind. Question is, where would he play? If we're going to be playing 3-5-2, I'm not sure I'd see him as somebody to play in a central three. Perhaps he could do the job though.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 27, 2019, 8:57am; Reply: 42
Would gladly have him back.  Unlikely in my opinion as I think better clubs with better budgets will be in for him.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 27, 2019, 9:04am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Davec
More chance of us signing Belinda Carlisle than Jamie Devitt from Carlisle

The Next Barrymore strikes again!
Posted by: Poojah, May 27, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 44
His return in 2013 was about as excited as I’ve been about a signing in a long time; sadly it didn’t quite live up to expectations. I don’t remember it being a disaster by any means though, he just wasn’t at the level he’d been at during his initial spell and I don’t think he was 100% fit.

Thinking back to his first spell almost 10 years ago now, it’s a bit of a surprise that he’s failed to carve out a career above League Two level. There’s no doubt he has some genuine quality, and personally I’d have him back in a heartbeat.

However, if he’s left Carlisle after winning their player of the year award then presumably he’s done so on the basis of opportunities at clubs loftier than Grimsby Town at the present time.

I respect the opinions of others on here who say they wouldn’t be fussed about Devitt, but then I do question the calibre of player they realistically expect us to sign. Short of a serious increase in budget, I’m sadly expecting the bulk new arrivals to well below his level.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 27, 2019, 9:18am; Reply: 45
Didn't he have or was recovering from glandular fever in his second spell.
Quite a debilitating illness
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 27, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Hagrid

The Next Barrymore strikes again!

I Fuking hope not.

He’s just invited me to a pool party.  😓 😮  😉
Posted by: Mallyner, May 27, 2019, 10:27am; Reply: 47
I'm sure that I recall that he was unhappy being far away from Ull, although that might have been when he was younger. I was surprised when he signed for Carlisle because of that memory.

It's surprising how far footballers from Ull have gone though, I am assuming Snerle who played for Denmark women against England, is from there?  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 48
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

I remember presto's well

Preferred Grandway's myself
Posted by: moosey_club, May 27, 2019, 10:46am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Mallyner
I'm sure that I recall that he was unhappy being far away from Ull, although that might have been when he was younger. I was surprised when he signed for Carlisle because of that memory.

It's surprising how far footballers from Ull have gone though, I am assuming Snerle who played for Denmark women against England, is from there?  ;)

How odd  ;D
Posted by: Nutsy, May 27, 2019, 10:52am; Reply: 50
I would love us to sign two wingers in the form of Josh Morris and Jamie Devitt
Posted by: AidansArmy99, May 28, 2019, 1:50am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Kris2

He was good for one loan move, not that good when he came back for another one. Bit of a pattern with loan players we bring back or sign full time really.

We did sign Hendrie permanently which was great, I do wish we kept Matt permanently though
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 28, 2019, 9:46am; Reply: 52
Quoted from Nutsy
I would love us to sign two wingers in the form of Josh Morris and Jamie Devitt

Josh Morris won't be playing league 2 football next season unless someone offers him a lot of money..
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 29, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 53
Would make sense as he is from Hull, girlfriend is a Louth girl and still based in the area as well. Although would expect him to be plying his trade in league 1 or top end League 2 next season.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 29, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC
Would make sense as he is from Hull, girlfriend is a Louth girl and still based in the area as well. Although would expect him to be plying his trade in league 1 or top end League 2 next season.

Devitt was born in Dublin, although he did come through Hull's youth system.
Posted by: nightrider, May 29, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 55
I thought we might have a chance of signing Lee Gregory what with the Jolley effect but by the looks of it I'm well out cos so do a couple of Championship clubs
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 4, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

John Tondeur just confirmed we are after him
Posted by: chaos33, June 4, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 57
And RH confirmed we are after Andy Cook
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 4, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Les Brechin

Devitt was born in Dublin, although he did come through Hull's youth system.

I’ll see him play again a few times before judging him. Just in case he's changed.     After all ...........

It’s better the  Devitt you know 😂😂😂

Taxi 🚕
Posted by: jonnyboy82, June 4, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 59
Just have that chestnut pre season feeling we won't get either and we will end up with someone no one else wants.
Posted by: Cumbrian Mariner, June 4, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 60
Good player for Carlisle playing in a free centre midfield forward role, played very well when in this role.  Keith Curle wouldn't play him in this role - played him wide with ddfensive responsibilities.  Under Sheridan and then Pressley was much more effective.  Carlisle missed him in the final games and really want him to stay.

Hibs, Town, Gimps amongst the teams who have tabled offers.

UTM
Posted by: Sigone, June 5, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 61
Rumoured to be joining Swindon  😡
Posted by: Kris2, June 5, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Sigone
Rumoured to be joining Swindon  😡

Lol you didn't think we had a chance of signing him did you?  ;D

We didn't offer anything close to what he was demanding.
Posted by: Son of Cod, June 5, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 63
RH reporting that the £150 p/w we offered might be a stumbling block.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, June 5, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Son of Cod

Is there a zero missed off that weekly wage?

Posted by: Son of Cod, June 5, 2019, 3:54pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Is there a zero missed off that weekly wage?

No, sorry I just made that up - it was supposed to be a hilariously scathing take on our budget and Radio Humberside stating the obvious on Twitter.
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 5, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Kris2

Lol you didn't think we had a chance of signing him did you?  ;D

We didn't offer anything close to what he was demanding.

Finally, someone in the know.

As yours is a statement Kris.

How much was he demanding and what exactly did we offer. ?     ‘We’ in my case means Grimsby Town by the way.
Posted by: moosey_club, June 5, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Son of Cod

you are so off the mark......you are quoting the starting wage for the lads who turn pro , Clifton, Wright and the like......our best players are offered around double that now  ;)
Posted by: Kris2, June 6, 2019, 11:03am; Reply: 68
Quoted from moosey_club

you are so off the mark......you are quoting the starting wage for the lads who turn pro , Clifton, Wright and the like......our best players are offered around double that now  ;)

Football Manager wages are not based off the real life contracts. It doesn't mean you know what everyone is paid.  ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 13, 2019, 3:54pm; Reply: 69
I've been told that despite it being mentioned everywhere he is Swindon bound, that this is very much still on with us.

Apparently MJ has realised that sometimes in this league, fancy football isn't always possible... and I think with Hanson signing, a natural winger will be coming in, and MJ is being backed with money.

Hopefully Devitt is the winger we need
Posted by: marinerdazza, June 13, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I've been told that despite it being mentioned everywhere he is Swindon bound, that this is very much still on with us.

Apparently MJ has realised that sometimes in this league, fancy football isn't always possible... and I think with Hanson signing, a natural winger will be coming in, and MJ is being backed with money.

I really hope you're right. But I still think it's a hell of a long shot.
Posted by: jock dock tower, June 13, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 71
It would certainly be a statement of intent were it ever to come to fruition though.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, June 13, 2019, 4:15pm; Reply: 72
Only passing on what I'm being told, I fully believe him, so no harm in sharing...

I believe I did originally, then humberside posted something similar
Posted by: Mariner93er, June 13, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 73
He said the reason he didn't sign longer with Carlisle was that they only offered him a one year contract. We're handing it 2 or 3 year ones. I doubt we're lagging too far behind what they were offering wage wise and we're a northern team and Swindon aren't. I'd say we're in a very good position.
Posted by: Grimal, June 13, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Has Hanson signed ? I can't find it confirmed anywhere on OS.

Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, June 13, 2019, 4:25pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from Grimal

Has Hanson signed ? I can't find it confirmed anywhere on OS.

Keep up will you, he was ALLEGEDLY seen in the club shop buying his kit for the new season.
Posted by: Grimal, June 13, 2019, 4:39pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Keep up will you, he was ALLEGEDLY seen in the club shop buying his kit for the new season.

I can't find it confirmed anywhere that he's bought hisTown kit for the new season either  :P  ;)

Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:08am