Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 21, 2019, 6:11pm
Looks like town are starting a woman’s football team
Posted by: LH, May 21, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 1
We need to get some use out of that refs sink I suppose! In all seriousness this is good news.
Posted by: toontown, May 21, 2019, 9:07pm; Reply: 2
How much money will it cost to run a womans team? Money that has to come from our already strained income. Wasteful and a pointless distraction from running the club.
Posted by: mariner chopper, May 21, 2019, 9:09pm; Reply: 3
Fantastic news for our club! A massive step forward IMO
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 21, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from toontown
How much money will it cost to run a womans team? Money that has to come from our already strained income. Wasteful and a pointless distraction from running the club.

It needn't and it might strengthen the club's bonds with the community.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), May 22, 2019, 5:23am; Reply: 5
Quoted from toontown

What a pointless and uneducated response!!

This can only be a good thing for the Club!! It’s about time we stepped out of the 80’s!!

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 22, 2019, 9:27am; Reply: 6
Quoted from mariner chopper
Fantastic news for our club! A massive step forward IMO

It is if there is a demand for it and the club is doing something for the community by helping people who are already trying to do this then it should be applauded. If it is just tokenism, trying to create a demand to make it look as though the club is community minded then it is pointless.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 22, 2019, 10:05am; Reply: 7
The most frequently aired criticism against GTFC is that it is stuck in the past and never has any modern ideas.

If you're criticising this news then really, have a word with yourself FFS.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 22, 2019, 10:13am; Reply: 8
As above I applaud this decision in principle but worry about the funding required how much is it and where does it come from?
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 22, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 9
There's loads of FA funding for women's teams at the moment. I expect we'll have applied for some.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 22, 2019, 10:52am; Reply: 10
Quoted from marinerdazza
The most frequently aired criticism against GTFC is that it is stuck in the past and never has any modern ideas.

If you're criticising this news then really, have a word with yourself FFS.

Don't be so po-faced about things. The Town fans have always been leaders when it comes to radical ideas!

The quote from Bob Lincoln's book about the first Grimsby Ladies side in 1886 -

"This season some individuals had the temerity to run a team of lady footballers, and they applied for a match on the Clee Park, which was refused.
"Nothing daunted, they secured the Victoria Cricket Ground. A fair crowd assembled.
"It was a terrible fiasco, and the fair maidens had a lively time, as they were unmercifully chaffed by the Pontoonites.
"Leaving here they appeared on the Holderness Road Ground. The fixture terminated in a riot." ;D

Presumably the 2019 version will be better received.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 22, 2019, 11:25am; Reply: 11

Don't be so po-faced about things. The Town fans have always been leaders when it comes to radical ideas!

The quote from Bob Lincoln's book about the first Grimsby Ladies side in 1886 -

"This season some individuals had the temerity to run a team of lady footballers, and they applied for a match on the Clee Park, which was refused.
"Nothing daunted, they secured the Victoria Cricket Ground. A fair crowd assembled.
"It was a terrible fiasco, and the fair maidens had a lively time, as they were unmercifully chaffed by the Pontoonites.
"Leaving here they appeared on the Holderness Road Ground. The fixture terminated in a riot." ;D

That's a good read. Let's hope so.  :)
Posted by: psgmariner, May 22, 2019, 11:35am; Reply: 12
Really pleased about this. Some good news finally!
Posted by: scrumble, May 22, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 13

the fixture terminated in a riot." ;D

TBF a lot of games back then ended in riots. Wasn't there one game between Town and Lincol were the ref didn't turn up so someone from the Grimsby side stood in? At the end of the game, which Town won, the team had to run for their lives after the Lincoln fans accused the 'ref' of cheating chased them all the way to the station
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 22, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 14
Without wishing to come across like Sid the Sexist, all I will say is it's not the first time there'll have been f@nnies representing our club   ;)
Posted by: Grim74, May 22, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 15
Non football thread!
Posted by: MarinerDevil, May 22, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 16
If I've read the article correctly, the women's team is going to be run by the Grimsby Town Sports and Education Trust which is a registered charity; the team will be affiliated with GTFC but not be directly under its ownership.   I'm sure the club do fund GTSET in some way but I highly doubt that our current chiefs would be sacrificing any extra budget on anything that wasn't completely necessary, especially now we're making a groundbreaking investment in minor stadium improvements.

This can only be a positive (and inexpensive) step forward towards better engagement, especially towards our younger and female fans.
Posted by: MarinerWY, May 22, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Grim74
Non football thread!

No, it's a football thread - I just wish we could make it a no-cunts thread...
Posted by: TAGG, May 22, 2019, 11:09pm; Reply: 18
Woman's football is crap.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 22, 2019, 11:43pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from TAGG

Which woman are you talking about?
Posted by: RexFannies, May 22, 2019, 11:50pm; Reply: 20
Will they get a new ground?
Posted by: psgmariner, May 23, 2019, 8:28am; Reply: 21
Quoted from TAGG

So is the men’s football we watch but like the men they are representing my town so get my full support.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, May 23, 2019, 8:37am; Reply: 22
I suppose this thread will just prepare the ground for the upcoming 50+ page thread about the Women's World Cup this summer.

"I just watched the Women's world cup, not because I wanted to but it's definitely worse than Sunday League division 10....." etc etc etc and so on and so forth.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2019, 9:08am; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerDevil
If I've read the article correctly, the women's team is going to be run by the Grimsby Town Sports and Education Trust which is a registered charity; the team will be affiliated with GTFC but not be directly under its ownership.

If they find a prolific striker will we be allowed to poach her???    
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 23, 2019, 9:26am; Reply: 24
Quoted from promotion plaice

If they find a prolific striker will we be allowed to poach her???    

I have so many possible replies to that one that I just can’t put on a public forum !!!!!!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 23, 2019, 11:57am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Civvy at last

I have so many possible replies to that one that I just can’t put on a public forum !!!!!!

sexist Pig!!!!!!!
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 23, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 1mickylyons

sexist Pig!!!!!!!

Typical Gender Specific comment.

Perhaps I identify myself as a sexist sow. As is my right 😝
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), May 23, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Which woman are you talking about?

I read it as a woman's football is crap. I've had some crap footballs in my time.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 23, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 140067

I read it as a woman's football is crap. I've had some crap footballs in my time.

Haven't we all.

You've gone for the missing indefinite article. If you're right it could mean Tagg is Russian or Finnish, and is translating directly from his mother tongue, neither of which have articles. Which is why they can sometimes sound like cavemen.  ;)
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), May 23, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 29

Haven't we all.

You've gone for the missing indefinite article. If you're right it could mean Tagg is Russian or Finnish, and is translating directly from his mother tongue, neither of which have articles. Which is why they can sometimes sound like cavemen.  ;)

;D
Posted by: snoopsgtfc, May 23, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 30
Good! It's about time, I know there have been various and several campaigns.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 23, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 31
Love the application form they have up on the O.S...

Which would you say is your strongest foot ?  WTF

Reminds me of early school football....."you can head it ok you're my centre back, you kick it hard you're up front, left foot anyone ??  good good you're left back "
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, June 24, 2019, 5:02pm; Reply: 32
Well, Grimsby Town have signed their first player for the womens team >> https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/june/grimsby-town-women-sign-libbi-wright/
Posted by: Abdul19, June 24, 2019, 8:35pm; Reply: 33
Is the fishy's very own Ascend the gaffer?
Posted by: TonySmith, June 24, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 34
  Most people on here seem to women's football as a positive thing, but I would love to watch some of the people who feel so threatened by women playing football that they still have to demean them, try to play against these ladies I'm watching in the World Cup. Even the Thai team would run rings around a bunch of  Sunday League cloggers.
  I'm honestly not sure what level of men's teams the best women could compete with, but I'm certain it's a lot higher than that. They may not have the strength or speed of male professionals, but the best women players have some serious skills. Just watch with an open mind.
  The women's game is different in the way that women's tennis is different to men's. The fact that Serena Williams probably couldn't beat the 500th best male player is down to testosterone related physical attributes, not skills.
   I think it's great that Town are starting a ladies team. If the club is moving into the 21st century, maybe all the supporters should do the same.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, June 24, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from TonySmith
  Most people on here seem to women's football as a positive thing, but I would love to watch some of the people who feel so threatened by women playing football that they still have to demean them, try to play against these ladies I'm watching in the World Cup. Even the Thai team would run rings around a bunch of  Sunday League cloggers.
  I'm honestly not sure what level of men's teams the best women could compete with, but I'm certain it's a lot higher than that. They may not have the strength or speed of male professionals, but the best women players have some serious skills. Just watch with an open mind.
  The women's game is different in the way that women's tennis is different to men's. The fact that Serena Williams probably couldn't beat the 500th best male player is down to testosterone related physical attributes, not skills.
   I think it's great that Town are starting a ladies team. If the club is moving into the 21st century, maybe all the supporters should do the same.

Well said.  I’ve enjoyed watching the World Cup games.  The only thing lacking is the atmosphere due to the smaller crowds.  

Saying that women’s football isn’t the same as men’s is like saying Paula Radcliffe wasn’t a great marathon runner because she took 15 minutes longer than the men.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 24, 2019, 10:49pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Well said.  I’ve enjoyed watching the World Cup games.  The only thing lacking is the atmosphere due to the smaller crowds.  

Saying that women’s football isn’t the same as men’s is like saying Paula Radcliffe wasn’t a great marathon runner because she took 15 minutes longer than the men.

Exactly people don't say I'm not watching the women's relay race because it's not as fast as the men.

And your Marathon example is a good one - 99% of men would be more than 15 minutes slower than the fastest woman.
Posted by: supertown, June 25, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 37

Exactly people don't say I'm not watching the women's relay race because it's not as fast as the men.

And your Marathon example is a good one - 99% of men would be more than 15 minutes slower than the fastest woman.

That is probably factual but it doesn’t mean women’s football is going to be good to watch does it
Posted by: codcheeky, June 25, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from supertown

That is probably factual but it doesn’t mean women’s football is going to be good to watch does it

Let's face it a lot of Town's football over the last few years has been terrible to watch, I'm enjoying the world cup but don't expect it to be as fast or physical as the men's game
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from supertown

That is a question of taste.

But the point about ability is relevant - people still watch women's athletics even though they're not quite as fast/strong etc as the men.
Posted by: somersetmariner, June 26, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 40
I do hope they get their own Instagram account.
Posted by: Rik e B, June 26, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 41
Don't find the women's game exciting enough to warrant my time currently, doesn't mean I'm against it, feel threatened by it or am a sexist. As for GTFC ladies, that's a fantastic development, great that local young girls can now get the opportunity just like the boys have to realise their dream and maybe don the famous Black & White stripes if they focus and apply themselves the right way.
Print page generated: April 23, 2024, 10:18am