Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2019, 2:53pm
Most won't be interested but I just noticed that Scotish football leagues only English based club Berwick Rangers were relegated at the weekend to be replaced by Cove Rangers.

That's a staple quiz question gone out of the window there. I wonder if Jock's Auchinleck will ever make it into the SPFL.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48236317

Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 1
What league would Berwick play in next season then? Could they go into the English system?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 20, 2019, 3:25pm; Reply: 2
According to that bbc article they drop into the scottish lowlands league
Posted by: Abdul19, May 20, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 3
They drop into the Lowland League.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 20, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 4
The Lowland League is supposedly the 5th level of Scottish football. The reality is that the vast majority of clubs in it are not that good. In fact, some of them are utter shite, nomadic, and some backed my wee money men looking to bask in reflected glory of maybe somehow getting into the SFL.

Cove Rangers, who won the play off and will now ply their trade in the SFL next season are the biggest whingeing wallopers I've ever come across in the Scottish non league game, and everybody hates them with a passion because they are backed with serious money (off shore diving company) and their fans think they're the dog's bollox.

Auchinleck Talbot played them in this season's Scottish Cup 2nd round. Nobody had previously scored at their ground before the game, and they had won every game played up until then. We came away with a 1-1 draw having pummelled them in the second half after going in 1-0 down. We beat them 2-1 at home and they players refused to come into the clubhouse for the traditional post match hospitality - which speaks volumes about their stinking attitude.

They have an ex Aberdeen centre forward playing for them who cost £30k and is reputed to be on about £600-£700 per week. They drip money and arrogance, and most folk up here would love to see them relegated straight back down. Unlikely to happen though, they'll strengthen this close season and probably get a few Aberdeen youth players / reserves brought in as well. They'll want a quick return on their money.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 20, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 5
North Berwick, the only place in the UK officially still at war with Russia...now there's a quiz question for you!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2019, 4:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from jock dock tower
The Lowland League is supposedly the 5th level of Scottish football. The reality is that the vast majority of clubs in it are not that good. In fact, some of them are utter shite, nomadic, and some backed my wee money men looking to bask in reflected glory of maybe somehow getting into the SFL.

Cove Rangers, who won the play off and will now ply their trade in the SFL next season are the biggest whingeing wallopers I've ever come across in the Scottish non league game, and everybody hates them with a passion because they are backed with serious money (off shore diving company) and their fans think they're the dog's bollox.

Auchinleck Talbot played them in this season's Scottish Cup 2nd round. Nobody had previously scored at their ground before the game, and they had won every game played up until then. We came away with a 1-1 draw having pummelled them in the second half after going in 1-0 down. We beat them 2-1 at home and they players refused to come into the clubhouse for the traditional post match hospitality - which speaks volumes about their stinking attitude.

They have an ex Aberdeen centre forward playing for them who cost £30k and is reputed to be on about £600-£700 per week. They drip money and arrogance, and most folk up here would love to see them relegated straight back down. Unlikely to happen though, they'll strengthen this close season and probably get a few Aberdeen youth players / reserves brought in as well. They'll want a quick return on their money.

How do they decide which team plays off against the bottom team in the SPL Jock. Do the winners of the Highland League and the Lowland League have a play-off themselves to decide? Also are Auchinleck able to get into The Lowland League or not?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 20, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 7
Not interested in Berwick Les I only follow Brechin.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2019, 4:15pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from grimsby pete

Another crap season for them Pete. 2nd successive relegation season!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from grimsby pete

I’d have thought you’d follow Peterhead 😉
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 4:27pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
North Berwick, the only place in the UK officially still at war with Russia...now there's a quiz question for you!!

Not quite correct. North Berwick is a village in Scotland, on the coast SE of Edinburgh. Completely different place to the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed which is the place left off the list of territories that Her Britannia Majesty reigned over in the peace treaty that ended the Crimean War.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 20, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I’d have thought you’d follow Peterhead 😉

I used to support them but they are crap KM   ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 4:31pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from grimsby pete

That’s the whole point of Scottish football Pete. Follow one of their clubs so Town don’t seem so bad. 😆
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 20, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from grimsby pete

They won their league this season just gone Pete and will be above Brechin next season!
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 20, 2019, 4:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Les Brechin

They won their league this season just gone Pete and will be above Brechin next season!

Have they ? I might support them again seeing I am a fair weather supporter  ;D
Posted by: Bigdog, May 20, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 15
At least we’re not Berwick, Clydebank or East Stirling..
Posted by: Maringer, May 20, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

How do they decide which team plays off against the bottom team in the SPL Jock. Do the winners of the Highland League and the Lowland League have a play-off themselves to decide? Also are Auchinleck able to get into The Lowland League or not?

The Highland League and Lowland League winners have a play-off to decide who plays-off against the bottom SPFL team.

No way for a Junior Football side like Auchinleck to get into the SPFL as it stands. They are outside the Pyramid, by choice I think.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 20, 2019, 5:50pm; Reply: 17
To be fair to Berwick, they lost their play off 7-0 over two games so made a good fist of it.
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 20, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin

Winners of Highland League play winners of Lowland League for right to play off against the bottom SFL team Les. No automatic relegation from SFL to Lowland League which makes a mockery of what any Pyramid should be about.

Posted by: jock dock tower, May 20, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Maringer

The Highland League and Lowland League winners have a play-off to decide who plays-off against the bottom SPFL team.

No way for a Junior Football side like Auchinleck to get into the SPFL as it stands. They are outside the Pyramid, by choice I think.

The Juniors from the Western Super League were supposed to be joining the Pyramid set up this season. The SFL have suddenly slammed the brakes on and said "Sorry...." What appears to have happened is the self preservation of the SFL clubs who can see the time coming as to when the Pyramid is expanded to such an extent that the non league clubs will be able to outvote their League counterparts. I fully understand that, and can sympathise with it to a point, but it's just so symptomatic of how the game is administered north of the border - chaotic. All the clubs who moved out of the Juniors from the East last season have also had the brakes slammed on them with applications for ground licencing for exactly the same reason. You really couldn't make all this up.

Posted by: RonMariner, May 20, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Not quite correct. North Berwick is a village in Scotland, on the coast SE of Edinburgh. Completely different place to the border town of Berwick-upon-Tweed which is the place left off the list of territories that Her Britannia Majesty reigned over in the peace treaty that ended the Crimean War.

I'm afraid that is simply an urban myth.....

The BBC programme Nationwide investigated this story in the 1970s, and found that while Berwick was not mentioned in the Treaty of Paris, it was not mentioned in the declaration of war either. The question remained as to whether Berwick had ever been at war with Russia in the first place. The true situation is that since the Wales and Berwick Act 1746 had already made it clear that all references to England included Berwick, the town had no special status at either the start or end of the war.
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, May 20, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 21
I went up to the game and my god, they were absolutely awful.

Berwick deserved to go down. Abysmal performance.

Players were beyond lazy, didn’t look bothered one bit. Credit to the Cove fans, about 400 of them. Made some noise and had a right good urine up it seemed.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from RonMariner

I'm afraid that is simply an urban myth.....

The BBC programme Nationwide investigated this story in the 1970s, and found that while Berwick was not mentioned in the Treaty of Paris, it was not mentioned in the declaration of war either. The question remained as to whether Berwick had ever been at war with Russia in the first place. The true situation is that since the Wales and Berwick Act 1746 had already made it clear that all references to England included Berwick, the town had no special status at either the start or end of the war.

Ah the shame! I've been out-pedanted on a history question.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 20, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Players were beyond lazy, didn’t look bothered one bit. Credit to the Cove fans, about 400 of them. Made some noise and had a right good urine up it seemed.

Was Paul Linwood playing for Berwick?
Posted by: wigworld, May 20, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from grimsby pete

Have they ? I might support them again seeing I am a fair weather supporter  ;D

Very little danger of that in Peterhead. As you were.

Posted by: jock dock tower, May 21, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from AndyDarloFC

Fair weather glory hunters I reckon Andy. Only one coach came down to Auchinleck for our Scottish Cup replay.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 12:10pm