Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 18, 2019, 9:22am
Really thought the work would have started by now have the club changed their mind.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 18, 2019, 9:28am; Reply: 1
It's May FFS
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 18, 2019, 9:38am; Reply: 2
'Kin ell,  blame her for everything why not?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 18, 2019, 9:39am; Reply: 3
Am I the only one who isn't all gooey eyed about floodlights? Needed doing for a long time as I'm surprised the EFL haven't kicked us out due to the shocking visibility at night games. They're just floodlights.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 18, 2019, 10:42am; Reply: 4
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Am I the only one who isn't all gooey eyed about floodlights? Needed doing for a long time as I'm surprised the EFL haven't kicked us out due to the shocking visibility at night games. They're just floodlights.

Fck off.

:)
Posted by: RoboCod, May 18, 2019, 11:30am; Reply: 5
The next spare Sunday that comes along, John's up on his ladder de-constructing them by hand I've heard.
Posted by: Kris2, May 18, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from fishboyUTM

The only people care are the old fogeys because they've been there for the entire 60 odd years they've been following the club.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 18, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Kris2

The only people care are the old fogeys because they've been there for the entire 60 odd years they've been following the club.

You Wally...you sound like a right plank saying that...the floodlights are synonymous with old school football grounds and ours, all be it they were second hand, just have that certain something, as you approach the ground you know it's Blundell Park, a proper, old school English football ground, full of atmosphere and history. ..not a soulless, steel mono-structure devoid of atmosphere....
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), May 18, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

You Wally...you sound like a right plank saying that...the floodlights are synonymous with old school football grounds and ours, all be it they were second hand, just have that certain something, as you approach the ground you know it's Blundell Park, a proper, old school English football ground, full of atmosphere and history. ..not a soulless, steel mono-structure devoid of atmosphere....

This!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 18, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 9
It's usually pretty devoid of atmosphere whenever I go!
Posted by: denni266, May 18, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 10

THIS
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 18, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Kris2

Are you Gary Lineker in disguise?
Posted by: Perkins, May 18, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Kris2

Insulting IMO. The only response possible is that "us old fogeys" have seen better football in our years at BP than "young uns" ever will.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from SteffiMariner
It's May FFS

Oh no.... don't tell me the useless old Dancing Queen is in charge of our floodlight project as well as Brexit     ;)
Posted by: denni266, May 18, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Perkins

Insulting IMO. The only response possible is that "us old fogeys" have seen better football in our years at BP than "young uns" ever will.

Yes us old uns have been spoilt  ;D
Posted by: Stadium, May 18, 2019, 6:32pm; Reply: 15

Haha.
Nice one,this made me laugh & even more amusing people were taken in by the atmosphere bit.
Brilliant-people are concerned about floodlights been an issue when you look at the predicament of the club.

Posted by: Kris2, May 19, 2019, 12:08am; Reply: 16

Sorry old timer but you can't stop progress forever. You are one of thew main reason why half the ground is a death trap lol. "Oh yes I remember the days when I was a lad, I stood in the same wooden main stand we stood in now while papa smoked his pipe very close to burning the place down...We should keep everything the same because I want to remember the past!".

Yeah a new stadium would be terrible because it's not falling down and the toilets don't stink of 50 years worth of urine. Same old local yokels who don't want to live in a modern,forward thinking town. It's no wonder this old town is rotting and the council can't get more funding because you're all happier to see old decrepit  buildings.

Posted by: Kris2, May 19, 2019, 12:11am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Perkins

And most of you still think we are a big club lol. It's in the past though and something you will never experience again no matter how long we keep hand me down floodlights from like the 1920's.

If old floodlights helped the club then we'd be in the premier league by now.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 19, 2019, 1:54am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Kris2

And most of you still think we are a big club lol. It's in the past though and something you will never experience again no matter how long we keep hand me down floodlights from like the 1920's.

If old floodlights helped the club then we'd be in the premier league by now.

What you need to understand is...once upon a time...to many a supporter....the aura of a floodlight held something special....take a train journey through many a part....drive into an unknown town on any given Saturday ....pre sat nav...pre blogs...pre away supporters guide..pre handy away football parking signs......and a proud erect floodlight was a mecca for the away football supporter....a beacon of where your hopes may lay on that particular day.....enter the outer edges of any industrial town and like meerkats...everyone in the car is on full alert....looking for the iron behemoths that pinpoint your destination......now...up the anti and make those a night match...that glow in the sky,....reeling you in like moth to a flame...
hand me down floodlights you say ? Absolutely the magic of following football i say.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 19, 2019, 7:04am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Kris2

Sorry old timer but you can't stop progress forever. You are one of thew main reason why half the ground is a death trap lol. "Oh yes I remember the days when I was a lad, I stood in the same wooden main stand we stood in now while papa smoked his pipe very close to burning the place down...We should keep everything the same because I want to remember the past!".

Yeah a new stadium would be terrible because it's not falling down and the toilets don't stink of 50 years worth of urine. Same old local yokels who don't want to live in a modern,forward thinking town. It's no wonder this old town is rotting and the council can't get more funding because you're all happier to see old decrepit  buildings.

Old timer??...I'd insult you like you've just insulted me, I'm not even 30 but I obviously have a better understanding of what football means to people than you.
Progress will be when we play better football, higher up the football pyramid and in a new ground where new memories will be made and when I'm old and wrinkly, like you will be too,
Life is about memories, memories are the past therefore to most town fans those frigging floodlights mean so much, that's what they and us saw first, walking to the ground, looking up to their fore father's with that 'thanks dad, you've now made me a proud GFTC fan' look in their eyes
Posted by: Maringer, May 19, 2019, 8:14am; Reply: 20
I'd take issue with the claims that visibility at night games is 'shocking' as somebody commented in this thread. No issues with visibility whatsoever as far as I'm concerned and I've never heard this claim before.

However, if the structure needs to be replaced, it needs to be replaced. No point getting worked up about it one way or the other. Same goes for the Main Stand. It's perfectly functional but won't stay that way forever. The economics of the situation mean it will stay there until we either move or it is deemed unsafe. Until then, I like the character of it, but don't sit there because I prefer the elevated view from the Findus. If we get a new ground, chances are that I'll get a poorer view of the game in comparison, but there you go.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 19, 2019, 8:30am; Reply: 21
Next up...'what's special about black and white stripes anyway, grandad?'
Posted by: golfer, May 19, 2019, 8:54am; Reply: 22
Quoted from RoboCod
Next up...'what's special about black and white stripes anyway, grandad?'

If we had the stripes horizontal it would reflect the light better so we could pick out our strikers.I know this works as I studied "camouflage"at University in Nairobi during the "Save the Zebra" campagne
Posted by: Ipswin, May 19, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 23
Quoted from golfer

If we had the stripes horizontal it would reflect the light better so we could pick out our strikers.I know this works as I studied "camouflage"at University in Nairobi during the "Save the Zebra" campagne

If we had the stripes horizontal they'd be hoops  ;)
Posted by: golfer, May 19, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Ipswin

If we had the stripes horizontal they'd be oops  ;)

Nah-that's what our forwards say when they have a shot at goal
Posted by: RoboCod, May 19, 2019, 9:59am; Reply: 25
But vertical stripes have been proven to make you look slimmer, acording to the fashion world. Think what Adam Proudlock/Tony Crane would have looked like in hoops :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2019, 11:17am; Reply: 26
Lads, lads. Let's not turn this into another Brexit-type debate where we all fall out. Stripes v hoops?

The obvious compromise is diagonal stripes! (White shirts with a black diagonal stripe a la Peru obviously).
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 19, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Kris2

Yeah a new stadium would be terrible because it's not falling down and the toilets don't stink of 50 years worth of urine. Same old local yokels who don't want to live in a modern,forward thinking town.

We all know the council are partially to blame.  ;D
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 28
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Lads, lads. Let's not turn this into another Brexit-type debate where we all fall out. Stripes v hoops?

The obvious compromise is diagonal stripes! (White shirts with a black diagonal stripe a la Peru obviously).

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=udNuzDuj&id=FA66A99738A0D94E3B736B97A3D0B2659AEEB18B&thid=OIP.udNuzDuj-KbQi-tONcVBQgHaHa&mediaurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.customkit.com%2Fshowimage.asp%3Fpath%3DImageLibrary%5Cpuma%5CTeamwear%5CFootball%2520Shirts%5C701769_03.jpg%26s%3D400&exph=360&expw=360&q=football+kit+with+diagonal+stripes&simid=608020939601807307&selectedindex=6&qpvt=football+kit+with+diagonal+stripes&ajaxhist=0&vt=4&eim=8,3,4,2,1,6&sim=11ttps://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=r2NmDHKC&id=E3323DB7E5E454C107C576472C387865D3CE5B08&thid=OIP.r2NmDHKCZj_14TwgwPX6UQHaEo&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.istockphoto.com%2Fvectors%2Fred-and-white-stripe-pattern-sport-football-kits-jersey-tshirt-design-vector-id902415188%3Fk%3D6%26m%3D902415188%26s%3D612x612%26w%3D0%26h%3DitDrwtNwltVQf9uJFDwy-PnYwM9-eJ52et4SgirMNCE%3D&exph=383&expw=612&q=football+kit+with+diagonal+stripes&simid=608018856555972044&selectedindex=85&ajaxhist=0&vt=4&eim=8,3,4,2,1,6&sim=11
Posted by: rancido, May 19, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 29
Quoted from RoboCod
But vertical stripes have been proven to make you look slimmer, acording to the fashion world. Think what Adam Proudlock/Tony Crane would have looked like in hoops :-/

Christ,  imagine what Fatty Matty Rhead would look like in hoops. A living Michelin Man!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 30
Quoted from forza ivano

Well that's the away shirt sorted.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 19, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from golfer

Nah-that's what our forwards say when they have a shot at goal

But our forwards don't have any shots at goal
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 19, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer
I'd take issue with the claims that visibility at night games is 'shocking' as somebody commented in this thread. No issues with visibility whatsoever as far as I'm concerned and I've never heard this claim before

I have to disagree, the present floodlights seem to give off way less illumination than they did a few years ago.

Think I saw they only just meet today's minimum floodlighting requirements and you can tell....poor.

Posted by: buckstown, May 19, 2019, 12:55pm; Reply: 33
Well I have to say I'm old and I much prefer mixing with younger people. In fact I'm thinking of getting one if Mrs. Buckstown clears off.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 19, 2019, 1:05pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from rancido

Christ,  imagine what Fatty Matty Rhead would look like in hoops. A living Michelin Man!

After his assault on Henderson at Wembley amongst others he'd maybe look better with arrows instead of stripes/hoops::)
Posted by: Teesknees, May 19, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from buckstown
Well I have to say I'm old and I much prefer mixing with younger people. In fact I'm thinking of getting one if Mrs. Buckstown clears off.

Didn't Gary Glitter say something like that!
Posted by: buckstown, May 19, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Teesknees

Didn't Gary Glitter say something like that!

Think old Gaz had something slightly different in mind!
Posted by: mariner tommy, May 19, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from fishboyUTM

They aren’t shocking visibility, as you suggest, at all, they meet EFL standards

UTM
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, May 19, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 38
[quote=91691]

They aren’t shocking visibility, as you suggest, at all, they meet EFL standards

You’re right, they aren’t shocking, but when you compare them with modern stadiums they aren’t very good.

Posted by: mariner tommy, May 19, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
[quote=91691]

You’re right, they aren’t shocking, but when you compare them with modern stadiums they aren’t very good.

The problem is is that the floodlight towers are too high, and too far back from the playing area, to use energy efficient LED lamps. These towers were designed to use a mercury vapour discharge lamp or a HQL equivalent which is more environmentally friendly, but both of which are significantly more expensive to use.
I’m assuming they’ll install LED lighting along the top of the main stand and the top of the John Smith’s stand, or whatever it’s called now.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 19, 2019, 5:19pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from mariner tommy

The problem is is that the floodlight towers are too high, and too far back from the playing area, to use energy efficient LED lamps. These towers were designed to use a mercury vapour discharge lamp or a HQL equivalent which is more environmentally friendly, but both of which are significantly more expensive to use.
I’m assuming they’ll install LED lighting along the top of the main stand and the top of the John Smith’s stand, or whatever it’s called now.

I am told there are to be floodlights in all 4 corners on lower columns. As you said, to get the spread of light these days you don't have to go so high and fittings can direct the light much more.

The logical solution would be to use the roof of stands but it appears the club aren't utilising that option.
Posted by: Stadium, May 19, 2019, 6:06pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I am told there are to be floodlights in all 4 corners on lower columns. As you said, to get the spread of light these days you don't have to go so high and fittings can direct the light much more.

The logical solution would be to use the roof of stands but it appears the club aren't utilising that option.

As JF stated:

“Our objective is to probably reduce those to the ground in the close season, and replace them with four new stanchions, which will be of the sort that will tilt down to the ground so that they are easy to maintain"

Columns which are able to be lowered for maintenance.
Sensible option with the costs involved.
Logical to use this method as opposed to mounting on the stands-far easier for access & maintenance.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 19, 2019, 6:36pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Stadium

As JF stated:

“Our objective is to probably reduce those to the ground in the close season, and replace them with four new stanchions, which will be of the sort that will tilt down to the ground so that they are easy to maintain"

Logical to use this method as opposed to mounting on the stands-far easier for access & maintenance.

Plus I'd have thought that the Main Stand roof would be too low and create glare in the eyes of players and for people in the lower Findus.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 19, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 43
I’d like to think we would be looking at ones that would be easier to re- locate if required 🤔
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 20, 2019, 5:30pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Stadium

As JF stated:

So he'll still be having a hands-on role with their maintenance then?  ::)
Posted by: Stadium, May 20, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

???
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 20, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Stadium

???

You weren't at the game when JF went up a ladder to do some repairs then?
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 29, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 47
Reading today’s online telwag says the floodlights have been upgraded so sounds like the four ladies are staying ?.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 29, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from crusty ole pie
Reading today’s online telwag says the floodlights have been upgraded so sounds like the four ladies are staying ?.

no, they are getting replaced and upgraded to better floodlights
Posted by: crusty ole pie, May 29, 2019, 4:03pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Hagrid

no, they are getting replaced and upgraded to better floodlights

It’s getting very confusing up graded in my book sounds like new lightbulbs replacing sounds like new sticks and lights
Posted by: denni266, May 29, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 50
Something must be happining , for them to quote 1/4 million being spent on improvements.  cant be just softer loo rolls
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 29, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

No. He’s got a town to run.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 29, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from denni266
Something must be happining , for them to quote 1/4 million being spent on improvements.  cant be just softer loo rolls

I think it is wishful thinking. Fenty has got the groundstaff using metal detectors to find the loose change that’s been thrown on the pitch.

[url]https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article2916278.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/0_JCP_HMB_22052019hump_049JPG.jpg[/url]
Posted by: Stadium, May 29, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 53

The 60-year-old floodlight pylons at Grimsby Town's Blundell Park ground are being replaced.

The landmark 128ft (39m) lattice towers were installed in 1960.

A specialist company will remove the pylons over the summer and new floodlights will be installed in time for the start of the new season.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 29, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 54
I have just read in the Tellywag that Mr Fenty reckons since he has been involved the stadium has improved considerably, or words to that effect.

Compared to what? Compared to any club in  league 2? Or any nearby neighbours?

This seems to be a recurring theme. He says things are good, or better without any proof provided, and with no comparisons to any other clubs who have moved on much more than us with regard to facilities and everything else.

If he thinks the stadium (and indeed what goes on in it) is better then it shows the complete lack of ambition, drive, money or urgency needed      
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 29, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Stadium

The 60-year-old floodlight pylons at Grimsby Town's Blundell Park ground are being replaced.

The landmark 128ft (39m) lattice towers were installed in 1960.

A specialist company will remove the pylons over the summer and new floodlights will be installed in time for the start of the new season.

They come highly recommended (cheap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHoib43LMi0
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 30, 2019, 6:37am; Reply: 56
I have just read in the Tellywag that Mr Fenty reckons since he has been involved the stadium has improved considerably, or words to that effect.

Compared to what? Compared to any club in  league 2? Or any nearby neighbours?

This seems to be a recurring theme. He says things are good, or better without any proof provided, and with no comparisons to any other clubs who have moved on much more than us with regard to facilities and everything else.

If he thinks the stadium (and indeed what goes on in it) is better then it shows the complete lack of ambition, drive, money or urgency needed      

The blokes deluded when he took over we had a dated ground and needed to relocate nothing has changed except dozens of other Clubs have made the move leaving BP and GTFC even further behind . On a ground rating for facilities etc of the 92 League Clubs I bet BP would be rated between 80th and 92nd?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 30, 2019, 7:59am; Reply: 57
Quoted from 1mickylyons

The blokes deluded when he took over we had a dated ground and needed to relocate nothing has changed except dozens of other Clubs have made the move leaving BP and GTFC even further behind . On a ground rating for facilities etc of the 92 League Clubs I bet BP would be rated between 80th and 92nd?

Nice to see the red cross brigade out when this post hits the nail on the head...
To even think chucking £250K is improving the experience is deluded..
Worst thing is if and when we do move i will miss the unique atmosphere an old school ground like BP brings but in today's modern era of football stadia there's no place for sentimentality and we need to move, sooner rather than later..
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 30, 2019, 8:11am; Reply: 58

Nice to see the red cross brigade out when this post hits the nail on the head...
To even think chucking £250K is improving the experience is deluded..
Worst thing is if and when we do move i will miss the unique atmosphere an old school ground like BP brings but in today's modern era of football stadia there's no place for sentimentality and we need to move, sooner rather than later..

That`s ALL BP has going for it now the character and atmosphere it`s still a ground where when it`s packed and the fans get behind the team it can really upset the opposition . I love the place and will be proper gutted when it`s gone due to the hundreds of great memories I have but it`s holding back the football club which in turn is a negative impact on the Town and area . John Fenty is not to blame for the lack of new ground he has been hamstrung and messed about by various parties for year`s and Furneax/Carr had the same problems in there reigns . However his quotes here about improving the ground don`t stack up at all whilst 250k may have been spent the reality is BP would have to be flattened and rebuilt to see any real improvement and that`s not viable or realistic for modern stadia.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 30, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

In respect of this post and my earlier one, this is the problem when one man wields all the power.

Everything is viewed through the prism of his eyes; in this case what he considers to be improvements to the stadium.

Everyone outside the Fenty mindset can see that is clearly a preposterous thing for him to say. He has been in sole charge for a decade and a half or whatever it is and the rest of us can see a dirty, run down and outdated stadium which he has managed to make WORSE. He likes  being hands on, but I am afraid that is simply not good enough. BP isn't there as a plaything for him to act out his DIY fantasies - well actually it is but that is the problem.

We have to face facts; BP will be our home for a long time yet. Why not embrace that fact and actually do something with it, apart from what the EFL tell us we must do?

One man with a cheap as chips vision is not going to cut the mustard. What is Mr. Fenty planning to do about it?

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 30, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 60

In respect of this post and my earlier one, this is the problem when one man wields all the power.

Everything is viewed through the prism of his eyes; in this case what he considers to be improvements to the stadium.

Everyone outside the Fenty mindset can see that is clearly a preposterous thing for him to say. He has been in sole charge for a decade and a half or whatever it is and the rest of us can see a dirty, run down and outdated stadium which he has managed to make WORSE. He likes  being hands on, but I am afraid that is simply not good enough. BP isn't there as a plaything for him to act out his DIY fantasies - well actually it is but that is the problem.

We have to face facts; BP will be our home for a long time yet. Why not embrace that fact and actually do something with it, apart from what the EFL tell us we must do?

One man with a cheap as chips vision is not going to cut the mustard. What is Mr. Fenty planning to do about it?

But that is an incidental in his mind. What he sees as a good club is simple - one that is not bankrupt. He will have Shaun Harvey’s words on his office wall by now.

That was the point of my previous post about loose change. There is no new money in this so-called improvement to the ground. It is not investment to make it more welcoming to the faithful despite the disabled lift which I’d have thought any club would have had years ago. It is money being spent because it must be spent - the arm is being twisted. Yes it might help to have a bit of PC publicity on stuff like a women’s team but so what? How will that get us promoted? The main income through the gate is people wanting to see a game of football at a good standard which their team has a good chance of winning. They are the bread & butter for the club. Treat them right before you start thinking on fanciful schemes.

Investment in the club starts on the pitch and only then moves to the toilet rolls.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 30, 2019, 10:43am; Reply: 61

But that is an incidental in his mind. What he sees as a good club is simple - one that is not bankrupt. He will have Shaun Harvey’s words on his office wall by now.

That was the point of my previous post about loose change. There is no new money in this so-called improvement to the ground. It is not investment to make it more welcoming to the faithful despite the disabled lift which I’d have thought any club would have had years ago. It is money being spent because it must be spent - the arm is being twisted. Yes it might help to have a bit of PC publicity on stuff like a women’s team but so what? How will that get us promoted? The main income through the gate is people wanting to see a game of football at a good standard which their team has a good chance of winning. They are the bread & butter for the club. Treat them right before you start thinking on fanciful schemes.

Investment in the club starts on the pitch and only then moves to the toilet rolls.

I think it is fair to say that as per your tagline, we have reached for the ceiling, and have managed to fall through the floor.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 30, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 62

I think it is fair to say that as per your tagline, we have reached for the ceiling, and have managed to fall through the floor.

For once I'm going to have to disagree with you. The club hasn't reached for anything in the past twenty years, not even the tops of the skirting boards never mind the ceiling. They've tried to drag themselves from the basement up to the ground floor for six years and now are trying to find the least precarious bit of floor to be comfortable on while our peer clubs are moving on a few floors above..

It's shameful what's happened to our club, and the powers that be are oblivious due to lack of know-how and ability or because they can't look at themselves and accept that they are failing, and god forbid in their eyes, failing those pesky fans who they see as their nemesis..
Posted by: Hagrid, May 30, 2019, 2:49pm; Reply: 63
Floodlight pylon stays, top third taken off. What a mess
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 30, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 64
Cheap option yet again
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 30, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Cheap option yet again

If the base of the pylon is serviceable why not use it?  That is not a cheap option I object to if the lights at the top are good and the money saved is put to use elsewhere. It’s that last bit that have doubts about. :-/
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 30, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 66

If the base of the pylon is serviceable why not use it?  That is not a cheap option I object to if the lights at the top are good and the money saved is put to use elsewhere. It’s that last bit that have doubts about. :-/

Well let’s see if they modernise them, touch of paint wouldn’t go a miss
Posted by: Ipswin, May 30, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 67

Its a win / win , JSF will be able to change the bulbs with a shorter (cheaper) ladder

Posted by: tintowner, May 30, 2019, 4:03pm; Reply: 68
Its probably going to resemble what Workington did to their floodlights quite a few years ago.

They were very similar to those at BP.......tall and proud.

They were deemed partly unsafe. So they were basically cut in half and the lamps attached to them.

They didn't look right, but they did the job required.

https://thebeautifulhistory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/workingtonissuedbyclub.jpg
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 30, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 69
As recent as 4 or 5 days ago it was re-confirmed they were being taken down and replaced. Now it seems they've reviewed it and for some reason it's not viable.

Which suggests to me that until this week, no one actually looked into it properly.

I've no problem with saving money, especially when it might be dead money. But christ almighty this all looks very amateurish.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 30, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 70
The way I read was if we take them down and build new, we would need a loan from the Football Foundation and they may expect that loan to be paid back if we were to move within 10 years, the other alternative is we take them with us to our new ground.

I don't see this as a cheap option, it's more of a good business decision.
Posted by: Meza, May 30, 2019, 5:03pm; Reply: 71
The one thing that stands out for me in all this lack of investment / updating ground is no wonder the ground looks poor and there hasn't been any investment if JF is trying to pursue a career in politics how can you be a local Councillor and run a football club....simple answer you can't.

So I say this to JF. You might be happy for the club to trundle along and operate in autopilot mode when your doing your politics, but can you please hand over the reigns to someone who will be able to use all their energy in trying to get GY out of the 90"s and not someone who ain't going to be around when key decisions are needed to be made.
Posted by: LH, May 30, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from tintowner
Its probably going to resemble what Workington did to their floodlights quite a few years ago.

They were very similar to those at BP.......tall and proud.

They were deemed partly unsafe. So they were basically cut in half and the lamps attached to them.

They didn't look right, but they did the job required.

https://thebeautifulhistory.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/workingtonissuedbyclub.jpg

Just what this club needs: a permanent, prominent symbol of cheapskatery.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 30, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 73
I’d rather have excrement floodlights and more pumped into the playing budget. Don’t see the issue.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 30, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from marinerdazza
As recent as 4 or 5 days ago it was re-confirmed they were being taken down and replaced. Now it seems they've reviewed it and for some reason it's not viable.

Which suggests to me that until this week, no one actually looked into it properly.

I've no problem with saving money, especially when it might be dead money. But christ almighty this all looks very amateurish.

I am shocked I tell ya!

Posted by: LH, May 30, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 75
Quoted from pontoonlew
I’d rather have excrement floodlights and more pumped into the playing budget. Don’t see the issue.

I admire your optimism.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2019, 7:10pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from LH

Just what this club needs: a permanent, prominent symbol of cheapskatery.

A statue of JF ?
Posted by: golfer, May 30, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 77
About time we stopped this contumely
Posted by: topuphere666, May 30, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 78
As long as they light up the pitch I don’t mind!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 30, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 79
IF we ever move ground in the next 10 years and had to pay back our grant as we couldn't take the new pylons with us, those very fans complaining of us taking the cheap option would be complaining about us not taking the cheap option!
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, May 30, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 80
Right. Well if we aren't having new floodlights I'm not renewing my season ticket.  I was really looking forward to seeing them. :(
Posted by: Kris2, May 30, 2019, 11:04pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from ivanosandwich
The way I read was if we take them down and build new, we would need a loan from the Football Foundation and they may expect that loan to be paid back if we were to move within 10 years, the other alternative is we take them with us to our new ground.

It wouldn't be an issue because we won't have a new ground within 10 years  ;D. Just another cutting financial corners venture by the club. Tbh if you think we'd get a new stadium in time for this to matter you're probably as deluded as people who thought we'd have a new stadium within 10 years in 2009.

The writing was on the wall by 2003 when all the great plans were drawn to a halt because a village of less than 1500 people managed to scare retailers and the council away. We had the sponsors,the council backing and retailers ready to move in and we failed to build a new stadium. How the hell are we doing it in the next 10 years with no sponsors,no council backing and zero retailers ready to invest in development. Clearly everyone at the club knows too since money has been spent on ladies toilets and disabled facilities for our decrepit and severely lacking in facilities ground.
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 30, 2019, 11:29pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from ivanosandwich

That's all very well and I don't see a problem with that except it just confirms that those who run this club are bloody hopeless if they didn't know this before making a statement that the whole pylons were coming down.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 31, 2019, 1:33am; Reply: 83
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails
Right. Well if we aren't having new floodlights I'm not renewing my season ticket.  I was really looking forward to seeing them. :(

This might well be all tongue in cheek but that's not the point.
It's just another example of the rot and decay that's happened to our once famous football ground over the last few decades.

One where we pay top dollar to enter and do our best to encourage our beloved football team but where I feel we just get treated with contempt.

Be honest, who here would hand over a twenty to go somewhere else where if took short you would have to queue up for ten minutes to poo and not be able to wipe you're bottom because of no toilet paper?
Then not be able to wash you're hands because there is no hot water, or soap, or paper towels or god forbid a hand dryer.
Ring any bells for what is supposed to be the newest stand in the ground?

Many have touched on the catering, it's not even a joke anymore since they took the infamous Chessburger sign down.
The bars are beyond a joke, the the staff do their very best, beyond the call if you ask me but are they fit for purpose when it's one in and one out when we manage a 5 or 6,000 crowd?

You reserve a seat and you know which one is yours because the seagull excrement stays on it all season unless you wipe it off yourself, it's pure contempt of the customer.

Lick of paint? No need, it was done in the 80's.

People might say Blundell Park is an old ground and there's only so much you can do with it.

My gaff is older than me but I'm not shitting in a 50's toilet or cooking in a 60's kitchen, I had them renovated at a decent cost by getting quotes and being arsed to get the work done. Years ago, not waiting until they were decrepit and unfit for purpose.

Does anyone really accept that it would cost a small fortune to bring the toilets up to date from the bloody 80's?

Smash the lot out, skip it, new kit, bit of tiling and job done.
Happy local tradesmen, happy Blundell park customers.

We aren't going anywhere soon but with a bit of work BP could be brought up to spec.
Unfortunately I feel the place is a dump, an embarrassment and far from worth the entrance fee.
The club are very fortunate to have every single Mariner who pays to go in.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 31, 2019, 6:25am; Reply: 84
Quoted from Kris2

It wouldn't be an issue because we won't have a new ground within 10 years  ;D. Just another cutting financial corners venture by the club. Tbh if you think we'd get a new stadium in time for this to matter you're probably as deluded as people who thought we'd have a new stadium within 10 years in 2009.

The writing was on the wall by 2003 when all the great plans were drawn to a halt because a village of less than 1500 people managed to scare retailers and the council away. We had the sponsors,the council backing and retailers ready to move in and we failed to build a new stadium. How the hell are we doing it in the next 10 years with no sponsors,no council backing and zero retailers ready to invest in development. Clearly everyone at the club knows too since money has been spent on ladies toilets and disabled facilities for our decrepit and severely lacking in facilities ground.

I also doubt that we will move within 10 years.

There were a couple of strategically placed "if's" in my post. I was just pointing out the reasons given to why the current pylons are being modified rather than replaced.

However, if your response was the trigger to sound off once again at Fenty and the Council, then be my guest.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 31, 2019, 6:26am; Reply: 85
Quoted from arryarryarry

That's all very well and I don't see a problem with that except it just confirms that those who run this club are bloody hopeless if they didn't know this before making a statement that the whole pylons were coming down.

Can't argue with that.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2019, 11:23am; Reply: 86
As long as we move before the 10 years is up it makes good business sense.

I just hope we move before the 10 years is up.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 31, 2019, 11:46am; Reply: 87
Quoted from grimsby pete
As long as we move before the 10 years is up it makes good business sense.

I just hope we move before the 10 years is up.

We'll not live to see it Pete, in fact half of those on here won't either! How's the knee? Is that the second one?

Posted by: Les Brechin, May 31, 2019, 1:23pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from jamesgtfc
IF we ever move ground in the next 10 years and had to pay back our grant as we couldn't take the new pylons with us, those very fans complaining of us taking the cheap option would be complaining about us not taking the cheap option!

That's one of the funniest things I've read on here for a long time.  ;D
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 31, 2019, 2:35pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from Ipswin

We'll not live to see it Pete, in fact half of those on here won't either! How's the knee? Is that the second one?

Yes my second knee replacement went well Swin and I have just finished my physio  not allowed to drive for another 2 weeks until I get the ok off the surgeon .

I will be surprised if we ever sit in the new stadium mate we will be well gone by the time it appears if it ever gets built.
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 31, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 90
The current non chairman and previous chairman going back 30 years have probably been reluctant to spend on the ground always believing we would be moving, new w the trouble is the old ground is struggling to be fit for purpose, and ad always had more you let things go the more they cost to repair later.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 1, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 91

Noticed today at the beer festival that there's a birds nest at the top of one of the floodlights, newts and all that   ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 1, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from promotion plaice

Noticed today at the beer festival that there's a birds nest at the top of one of the floodlights, newts and all that   ;)

The rare flying newt?
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, June 1, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 93
More like the pi55ed as a newt.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 1, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 94
Just another tawdry example of the shitstate of our football club. Baldrick could do better.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 95
If it's an ospreys nest we're copulated.(more chance of us signing a star striker)
Posted by: moosey_club, June 1, 2019, 8:20pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Ipswin
If it's an ospreys nest we're copulated.(more chance of us signing a star striker)

oh yes, i forgot Cleethorpes is well renown for its Osprey colony !!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 1, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 97
Knowing our look it will be a Dodo.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, June 9, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 98
Have theses lights been shorten yet ?
Posted by: Garth, June 10, 2019, 11:55am; Reply: 99
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Have theses lights been shorten yet ?

John's busy at the moment window cleaning
Posted by: WesternMariner, June 11, 2019, 7:37am; Reply: 100
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Knowing our look it will be a Dodo.

Feel sorry for the poor little illegitimate having to climb all those ladders.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 11, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from moosey_club

oh yes, i forgot Cleethorpes is well renown for its Osprey colony !!

Listen sunbeam, it's so long since any fornicator went up to the top of those rusty towers we call floodlights then anything is possible especially as someone somewhere will be looking for reasons to prevent any changes being made
Posted by: moosey_club, June 11, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Ipswin

Listen sunbeam, it's so long since any fornicator went up to the top of those rusty towers we call floodlights then anything is possible especially as someone somewhere will be looking for reasons to prevent any changes being made

its ok, the floodlights aren't in Great Coates.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 11, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from moosey_club

its ok, the floodlights aren't in Great Coates.

Just wait for some sodomist in Manchester Street to moan the new lights are shining in their kids bedroom

Posted by: Civvy at last, June 11, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from Ipswin

Just wait for some sodomist in Manchester Street to moan the new lights are shining in their kids bedroom

If so they are very naive.

Won’t be too long before a leccy Bill from JF pops through their door 😄
Posted by: tintowner, June 11, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 105
Anyway.....whatever work is going to take place, needs to start happening pretty soon.

I am wondering what the plan of attack is going to be. The lamps are currently fixed to a steel frame which is attached to the pylon.

The frame needs to come down first followed by whatever part of the pylon they have decided to remove. Are they then going to reattach the steel frame to the reduced in  height pylon? (which probably wont look all that bad ...imo)... or will they just hang the lamps on to the tops of the pylon ( like Workington did to theirs in the late 80s.....and looked totally rubbish....imo).

Whatever it is they are going to do, it wont be a five minute job.

Anybody else got any thoughts?
Posted by: Ruston AT, June 11, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 106
Really disappointed but floodlight gate isn't going to happen.....elf and safe will deem it too dangerous to climb the pylons and the club won't pay for scaffolding......another PR disaaaaaarst.
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 11, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from WesternMariner

Feel sorry for the poor little illegitimate having to climb all those ladders.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CXkH851WkAUrJMh.jpg[/img]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 12, 2019, 3:45am; Reply: 108
Quoted from tintowner
Anyway.....whatever work is going to take place, needs to start happening pretty soon.

I am wondering what the plan of attack is going to be. The lamps are currently fixed to a steel frame which is attached to the pylon.

The frame needs to come down first followed by whatever part of the pylon they have decided to remove. Are they then going to reattach the steel frame to the reduced in  height pylon? (which probably wont look all that bad ...imo)... or will they just hang the lamps on to the tops of the pylon ( like Workington did to theirs in the late 80s.....and looked totally rubbish....imo).

Whatever it is they are going to do, it wont be a five minute job.

Anybody else got any thoughts?

As daft as it seems, it doesn’t look like anyone considered any of that in the inner halls of Fenty Towers.

Taking down the old floodlights is going to be long winded and tricky, fraught with elf n safety risks. Who’d have thunk it.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 12, 2019, 7:05am; Reply: 109
Quoted from Ruston AT
Really disappointed but floodlight gate isn't going to happen.....elf and safe will deem it too dangerous to climb the pylons and the club won't pay for scaffolding......another PR disaaaaaarst.

A local scaffolding company have done a lot of work at BP over the years and a lot of it for no cost due to the owners Dad being a massive Town fan when he was alive.
Posted by: Ruston AT, June 12, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 110
Really disappointed but floodlight gate isn't going to happen.....elf and saftey will deem it too dangerous to climb the pylons and the club won't pay for scaffolding......another PR disaaaaaarster
Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 12, 2019, 8:40am; Reply: 111
Fred Dignage that`s the man for this job
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 12, 2019, 8:42am; Reply: 112
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Think you mean Dibnah mate !!!!!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, June 12, 2019, 8:55am; Reply: 113
Quoted from Civvy at last

Unfortunately no longer with us so he would be cheap   ;)

Posted by: 1mickylyons, June 12, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 114

yabbadabbadoo that`s him Civvy
Posted by: arryarryarry, June 12, 2019, 9:57am; Reply: 115
Quoted from 1mickylyons

How?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, June 12, 2019, 11:03am; Reply: 116
Quoted from arryarryarry

How?

That's one for us older folks🤣👍
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 12, 2019, 11:45am; Reply: 117
Quoted from arryarryarry

How?

Beat me to it.

I think of that programme every time I peel an orange cleanly. 😄
Posted by: psgmariner, June 25, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 118
Work starting on 08th July and will take 8 days.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 25, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 119
Quoted from psgmariner
Work starting on 08th July and will take 8 days.

So we really will have a brighter future.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 27, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 120
Started painting the Lower section of the floodlights
Posted by: denni266, June 27, 2019, 12:07pm; Reply: 121
I noticed that too. when i was at maccies last night
Posted by: Ruston AT, June 27, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 122
I bet the top section comes off and the lights go on top of section 2, I wouldn't be surprised if the top section doesn't get removed........we could fly flags from the pylons then.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, June 27, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 123
I believe JF is having one of the tops to grow his runner beans up on his new Peaks Parkway allotment.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 28, 2019, 8:41am; Reply: 124
I really do hope some one as got the calculations correct I have a feeling that the height of the second level is around the same as the upper findus which makes me believe every time the ball goes high we might be blinded by the glare of the lights
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 28, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 125
every time the ball goes high we might be blinded by the glare of the lights

Shouldn't be a problem.  Lincoln are not in our league this year  ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 28, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 126
Not happening yet, don't have planning permission
Posted by: crusty ole pie, June 29, 2019, 11:28am; Reply: 127
Not happening yet, don't have planning permission

Don’t think planning permission is required for existing structures just needs building regs
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, June 29, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 128
It is according to the letter i have from the town planner
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 8, 2019, 10:05am; Reply: 129
Finally the work begins
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 8, 2019, 12:04pm; Reply: 130
Huge crane in Blundell Park working on the floodlights as we speak
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 8, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from Stew0_0

Cranes are rear rare birds in UK, hope this does not stop work.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: norfuk mariner, July 8, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 132
Does that mean they prefer a back entry??
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 8, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Does that mean they prefer a back entry??

Predictive text ! Thanks corrected.

Posted by: Maringer, July 8, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from Stew0_0

Just don't let it take any penalties. :P
Posted by: Stadium, July 8, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 135
https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1148160112382697475?s=20
Posted by: gtfc98, July 8, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 136
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Quoted from Stadium

Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, July 8, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 137
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gallery/grimsby-town-floodlights-blundell-park-3067997
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 8, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from Stadium

That’s cool. The lights appear to be on whilst detached from the main unit.  Who’s doing the work.    Dynamo ?? 😄
Posted by: pizzzza, July 8, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 139

That’s cool. The lights appear to be on whilst detached from the main unit.  Who’s doing the work.    Dynamo ?? 😄

Looks like it is still plugged in, you can see the wire coming out the bottom of the detached part.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 8, 2019, 4:26pm; Reply: 140
The new heads are massively big, look like they will be too big
Posted by: rancido, July 8, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from OllieGTFC
The new heads are massively big, look like they will be too big

I don't think a big head will look out of place at BP.
Posted by: LH, July 8, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 142
Just been for a drive past to have a look and form a better opinion than one formed from looking at a picture. When I was a kid we lived on Welholme Ave and would drive to BP through Durban Road. The floodlight they have changed today would have been just visible over the roofs looking down towards Fiveways but no more. That said I don’t think the height is too bad. They’re certainly unique looking - as if they’re leaning maybe a bit too far forward.
Posted by: Davec, July 8, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 143
They look American style to me
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 8, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 144
Get your sunglasses ready
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 8, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Get your sunglasses ready

Who said that? 8)
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 8, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Stew0_0

Not Tony is it back at his old stomping ground?
Posted by: Ruston AT, July 8, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 147
Personally , I can't wait to see the new floodlights in action and be able to see the action under the new flood lights. Anyone that has been lucky enough to have been to a T20 or ODI ( that's cricket) , will understand how lots of little lights work better than a few big ones.
Give the club a chance , I do think they are trying to get the lights right.
Posted by: Bigdog, July 8, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 148
Aesthetically I think the club could have done a lot worse under the circumstances. Pleasantly surprised with how they look in the photos..
Posted by: rancido, July 9, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Bigdog
Aesthetically I think the club could have done a lot worse under the circumstances. Pleasantly surprised with how they look in the photos..

They way they have been done could also make it easier to incorporate them in a new ground.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, July 9, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 150
Just watched the club video of the removal of the floodlights with the hydrological lifts hard hats road closure shame we don’t have a video to compare there construction no doubt with a chap scaling it with spanner in one hand hammer in the other park drive in mouth and woolly cap to keep warm
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 10, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 151
We could have a light display with theses new lights like the premier league teams do
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 10, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 152
I was surprised how bright the lights were at Palace, the brightest I remember Town playing under.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 10, 2019, 10:26pm; Reply: 153
When we beat Liverpool at Anfield (always sounds great) the lights in the toilets were brighter than our floodlights.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, July 11, 2019, 5:03pm; Reply: 154
Breaking floodlight news : I can see one of them is turned on as I sail past, so we know that at least one of them definately works, hopefully more exciting pre season developments like this to come
Posted by: moosey_club, July 11, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from OllieGTFC
We could have a light display with theses new lights like the premier league teams do

Have heard from someone working on the install that what you say.. is actually in the plans for these lights. Can hardly wait for a night fixture.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 11, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from moosey_club

Have heard from someone working on the install that what you say.. is actually in the plans for these lights. Can hardly wait for a night fixture.

Is it possible to plunge the place into darkness if we are getting beat?
Posted by: Maringer, July 11, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 157
Quoted from Ipswin

Fenty is probably having the kill switch installed in the directors box as we speak. Well, type.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 17, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 158
Been a little feature added to the lights glowing GT
Posted by: golfer, July 17, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 159
Chap in hard hat just climbing pylon with a can of WD40 - turns out they were bought from Dubai where " it don't rain "
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 17, 2019, 5:00pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Ipswin

Not the foggiest
Posted by: moosey_club, July 17, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 161
saw the lights on this evening as i rode down the sea wall....hard to gauge how bright they might be as its too light at the moment......i first thought that half of the lights were out but does look like the shape of GT lit up.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 17, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 162

Went past earlier today in the car and at least one of the floodlights was still completely surrounded by scaffolding, couldn't see them all.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 18, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 163
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/floodlight-opening-event-announced/
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 18, 2019, 2:53pm; Reply: 164
Although the old tall floodlights were iconic to gtfc seeing them from miles away was great and will be missed I’m looking forward to seeing the new ones and am sure they’ll look good.
And there’s the bonus they won’t fall down in a strong easterly like the old ones would’ve done eventually!
Posted by: SomeSanity, July 18, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from Les Brechin

commercial stairlift? I do hope we're not charging disabled people to use it.

Posted by: marinerdazza, July 19, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 166
I like them. Despite my earlier misgivings, it looks like they've done a really good job. Be interesting to see the difference they make.
Posted by: Meza, July 20, 2019, 10:27am; Reply: 167
[tweet]1152508297318162435[/tweet]

quite like the new height of the floodlights.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 20, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 168
I guess the floodlights still seem a bit higher now that the mounds have gone 🤔
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 169
I guess the floodlights still seem a bit higher now that the mounds have gone 🤔

I thought the mounds were still slightly visible today   ;)

Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 170
Oddly enough, from the Upper Findus today, there seemed to be a small mound on the pitch right by the dugouts. Have they just moved the other mounds elsewhere? Seems a strange place to have one.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 21, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 171
Quoted from Meza
[tweet]1152508297318162435[/tweet]

quite like the new height of the floodlights.

That’s weird how flat these goal mouths are 😂
Posted by: Caveman, July 21, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 172
Quoted from Maringer
Oddly enough, from the Upper Findus today, there seemed to be a small mound on the pitch right by the dugouts. Have they just moved the other mounds elsewhere? Seems a strange place to have one.

Do you think we've got moles ?
Posted by: Maringer, July 21, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 173
It'd probably a good way to improve the drainage.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 22, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 174
Just watched a video what town have put up about the light the guy who installed them, there’s new lights going on the upper Young’s too, they all can be switched on by a touch of a phone
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, July 22, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from OllieGTFC
Just watched a video what town have put up about the light the guy who installed them, there’s new lights going on the upper Young’s too, they all can be switched on by a touch of a phone
I bet John will be happy, no more climbing up to change the lamps, taking into account average night time games, 25 years before any of these new LED lights need to be replaced lol.(ohmy)

I guess when and if we do get a new stadium these new LED lights will be intergrated into the plans.(tick)

Link >> [url=https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/freeview--the-man-behind-the-iron-mast/]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/freeview--the-man-behind-the-iron-mast/[/url]
Posted by: Tradjazz, July 22, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 176
Link doesn't work. Keeps saying turn adblocker off. It is off!!!!
:-/ :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 23, 2019, 12:55am; Reply: 177
Quoted from OllieGTFC

It's a long bloody way up to trail a phone cable though. And what would you do when you get there? Hit the switch with the receiver?

;)
Posted by: chaos33, July 24, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 178
I was at the stadium yesterday and the floodlights look ace. European I thought. The pitch looked lush too. Worth mentioning that there is a ton of last seasons kit in the club shop at cheap prices with lots of sizes available. I got my 6 year old a full red away kit - top £10, shorts £5 and socks £3. Great price.!
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 25, 2019, 9:26pm; Reply: 179

First pictures of the new floodlights during darkness.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/july/gallery--amazing-night-pictures-of-the-new-floodlights/
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, July 27, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 180
I wonder if the club will suffer with premature illumination ahead of the grand switch on. The weather today is awfully dull can’t see the ref letting us play without floodlights
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 27, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 181
;D
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, July 27, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 182
They look great, especially as the pylons have had a good lick of paint
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, July 28, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 183
Having watched the demonstration  video these appear an impressive upgrade can't wait to travel for a night match!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 28, 2019, 1:47pm; Reply: 184
Thought they looked really good yesterday and are a big improvement
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 1:09am