Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 17, 2019, 10:37pm
A repeat of the Clive Mendonca final in 1998.  The day after our play-off win.

Ironically, Super Clive was from Sunderland, but his 3 goals were just enough to get Charlton into the Premiership in an epic final.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 17, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 1
The day after we beat Northampton. Remember a lot of Sunderland fans on our train on the way down on the Sunday. Felt sorry for Donny tonight - anything which makes Lee Bowyer smile has to be a bad thing doesn't it?
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 18, 2019, 12:12am; Reply: 2
Didn’t realise it was the day after ours. Probably the best playoff final ever. Super Clive could cash in big time on this on interviews and punditry if he wanted to.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 18, 2019, 2:00am; Reply: 3
Was sat in schuberts all afternoon watching it. Reckon I'd only grabbed a couple of hours of sleep after the Northampton game
Posted by: lukeo, May 18, 2019, 8:20am; Reply: 4
No excuses for them losing on penalties but for them not to be able to flip a coin to possibly play Inn the goal near their fans is wrong.. Apparently due to 'safety'? What a load a crap ive tried searching online for the reason why they made this decision or what made them make it but I can't find it anywhere.. Doncaster's captain clearly was angry when he Was told
Posted by: Yossarian, May 18, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 5
I was at the game last night in with the Charlton fans.  Incredible atmosphere - The Valley really has great acoustics - but Doncaster absolutely smacked the arses of Charlton; they should have won the game hands-down.  Even the Charlton fans were saying 'how the hell did we win this?'

Re: the penalties - it was pretty feisty behind that goal - some local scumbags were really having a go at the Doncaster lot all game long.  so much so that riot police eventually had to replace the stewards.  It was 120 minutes of aggro, so I'm not surprised they moved the penalties to the other end, although not 100% fair I agree.

Look forward to the final - Mendonca still a legend at Charlton as well as Grimsby.  Although if Charlton play like they did last night Sunderland will hammer them.
Posted by: lukeo, May 18, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 6
It's just wrong. If it was donny fans being aggressive fair enough.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 18, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Yossarian
I was at the game last night in with the Charlton fans.  Incredible atmosphere - The Valley really has great acoustics - but Doncaster absolutely smacked the arses of Charlton; they should have won the game hands-down.  Even the Charlton fans were saying 'how the hell did we win this?'

Re: the penalties - it was pretty feisty behind that goal - some local scumbags were really having a go at the Doncaster lot all game long.  so much so that riot police eventually had to replace the stewards.  It was 120 minutes of aggro, so I'm not surprised they moved the penalties to the other end, although not 100% fair I agree.

Look forward to the final - Mendonca still a legend at Charlton as well as Grimsby.  Although if Charlton play like they did last night Sunderland will hammer them.

Donny DID win the game last night.   ;)
Posted by: Yossarian, May 18, 2019, 11:24am; Reply: 8
Quoted from lukeo
It's just wrong. If it was donny fans being aggressive fair enough.

Well the police were wading into both sets of fans to be fair.

I thought Doncaster would bring more fans.... certainly not Town levels of support for sure.  Maybe there was abou 800 or so.

Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 18, 2019, 11:39am; Reply: 9
Quoted from jimgtfc
Didn’t realise it was the day after ours. Probably the best playoff final ever. Super Clive could cash in big time on this on interviews and punditry if he wanted to.

Providing he can get the day off from his job at the Nissan factory 🏭
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 18, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Yossarian

Well the police were wading into both sets of fans to be fair.

I thought Doncaster would bring more fans.... certainly not Town levels of support for sure.  Maybe there was abou 800 or so.

I may be wrong but I thought I heard the commentator on Sky mention they had 1500 there?

I recall thinking I'm sure we'd have taken a lot more than that ( providing tickets made available )
Posted by: Yossarian, May 26, 2019, 1:45pm; Reply: 11
An interview with Clive Mendonca in the Daily Heil today.

I won't post a link because I don't want to drive traffic to their website, but if you go to this Charlton forum they have pasted the text.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85765/clive-mendonca-interview-in-todays-daily-mail

He is still doing shifts at Nissan - no mobile, no email - very low key.
Still a legend.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 26, 2019, 3:07pm; Reply: 12

Haven't seen it but apparently the Charlton keeper has blundered big time to give Sunderland the lead.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from promotion plaice

Haven't seen it but apparently the Charlton keeper has blundered big time to give Sunderland the lead.

Think of Danny Collins first game of the season v FGR, rolling the ball past McKeown into the net and you've got the picture  ;D
Posted by: golfer, May 26, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 14
Sunderland have got 12 players and I don't mean the ref. 1-0  own goal  Brought back memories of Robinson for England
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from golfer
Sunderland have got 12 players and I don't mean the ref. 1-0  own goal  Brought back memories of Robinson for England

Feel a little bit sorry for them to commit such an error on the big stage, but the same as when Collins got that OG, I have to ask why a defender, a third of the way up the pitch, under no pressure, decides to play the ball backwards to his own goal, instead of going forward with the ball towards the opposition net?

Obviously I don't get professional football tactics but to me it's a no-brainer... when you have a choice, go forward  :-/
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 26, 2019, 3:30pm; Reply: 16

Just seen it now.....what a howler

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11729003/own-goal-gifts-sunderland-opener
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 3:37pm; Reply: 17
1-1 now, 10 mins before half time

No howlers this time...a well worked, well taken goal
Posted by: RichMariner, May 26, 2019, 3:37pm; Reply: 18
Charlton equaliser - thankfully the game's not going to be decided on that error. Bet the keeper's relieved!
Posted by: TonySmith, May 26, 2019, 3:43pm; Reply: 19
Almost an action replay of Danny Collins v. Forest Green, but without any stewards behind the goal wearing the same colour as the goalkeeper this time.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 4:54pm; Reply: 20
Another dramatic, last few seconds finish

Charlton 2 Sunderland 1
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 26, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 21
Will that impact our chances of getting Embleton back next season
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 26, 2019, 6:18pm; Reply: 22
Funnily enough the prospect of Embo coming back for another season was my first thought too

I have a feeling if Sunderland had been promoted to the Championship, he'd have been loaned to a League 1 club

Them not getting promoted might well have given us another bite of the cherry.... fingers crossed  :)
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 26, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Funnily enough the prospect of Embo coming back for another season was my first thought too

I have a feeling if Sunderland had been promoted to the Championship, he'd have been loaned to a League 1 club

Them not getting promoted might well have given us another bite of the cherry.... fingers crossed  :)

I suspect they'll keep him there and blood him into their first team, they have an aging midfield and I know Jack Ross thinks highly of Embleton and if we are honest with ourselves the player he was after Xmas was not the player we saw before Xmas...
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2019, 6:58pm; Reply: 24
Sunderland fans will be able to enjoy the Chechatwat Trophy again. They were so keen to go to the final the season so they’ll be able to have another go. With the Pompey fans.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, May 26, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 25
All I could think of was remembering Town play in the equivalent 1998 play off and thinking that side would have played either of these two off the park?

Can't see Embleton coming back next season either. Maybe Middlesboro will offer someone as part of the Burrell arrangement.
Posted by: WetFlannel, May 26, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 26
Embleton’s contract is up and he won’t be staying at Sunderland, he’ll be looking to go to League 1 or Scotland I think  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 26, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from WetFlannel
Embleton’s contract is up and he won’t be staying at Sunderland, he’ll be looking to go to League 1 or Scotland I think  

Why Scotland?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 26, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from WetFlannel

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he sign another deal before he came back to us on loan,??..like I said, this is not something I'm sure about.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 27, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 29
So, as in 1998, Charlton won with virtually the last kick of the game.

Sunderland beating Leeds in the FA Cup Final was a massive shock.  They used up all their good fortune and luck that day.  This was their Everest.  It has been all downhill since then with no other wins at Wembley.

Sunderland also lost the Checkatrade Final this season.  Last season Shrewsbury also lost both finals.

Does this make our 2 victories at Wembley even more outstanding in retrospect?

I looked on the Sunderland Echo sports.  The football  editor said that he thought that the club could not fit Embleton into their midfield next season.  He was expected to move on. (I doubt that we will see him back here).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
So, as in 1998, Charlton won with virtually the last kick of the game.

Sunderland beating Leeds in the FA Cup Final was a massive shock.  They used up all their good fortune and luck that day.  This was their Everest.  It has been all downhill since then with no other wins at Wembley.

Sunderland also lost the Checkatrade Final this season.  Last season Shrewsbury also lost both finals.

Does this make our 2 victories at Wembley even more outstanding in retrospect?

I looked on the Sunderland Echo sports.  The football  editor said that he thought that the club could not fit Embleton into their midfield next season.  He was expected to move on. (I doubt that we will see him back here).

I don't think we were lucky to in those games, but I've often felt like we used up decades of fortune in those five weeks.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 27, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don't think we were lucky to in those games, but I've often felt like we used up decades of fortune in those five weeks.

I was saying more or less the same thing earlier to a Cobblers' supporting mate of mine... it's all about the ups and downs and we've certainly had more downs since that glorious season

Reminds me of that sunset scene from the Titanic.... full steam ahead after basking in the glow. What could possibly go wrong?  :-/
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 5:55am