Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Yoda, May 16, 2019, 7:07pm
A mate of mine has told me Town are the bookies favourites for relegation is that right.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 16, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Yoda
A mate of mine has told me Town are the bookies favourites for relegation is that right.

probably one of the joint favourites i would think....least i will get a good price for an automatic promotion spot...those foolish bookies obviously missed JF's pledge to review our playing budget for this season which will clearly escalate the budget from "competetive" to champions !!!

oh hello nurse...is it meds time already ?   (nurse)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 16, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Yoda

Well lets put it this way. After finishing 17th and 18th the last two seasons,with no sign of any inward investment, and an appalling 20 years of decline and already having  fallen through the trapdoor once, it would be ludicrous if we were NOT the favourites to go down.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 16, 2019, 7:42pm; Reply: 3
Not seen any odds released for next season yet.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 16, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 4
5/2 favourites to go down by one bookie. Shorter odds than Morecambe and Crawley who from memory were 9/2 and 5/1..
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 16, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 5
Shorter odds for relegation than Morecambe. flipping hell.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 16, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Shorter odds for relegation than Morecambe. flipping hell.

Says it all about the current state our shambles of a club is in...big thank you to all that sit in their ivory tower for making a complete balls up of it over the last 20 years!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 16, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 7

Sky Bet League Two Promotion 19/20.......

Plymouth
2/1
Bradford
5/2
Mansfield
5/2
Scunthorpe
5/2
Salford City
3/1
Walsall
10/3
Carlisle
7/2
Colchester
7/2
Leyton Orient
4/1
Swindon
4/1
Exeter
5/1
Northampton
5/1
Crewe
6/1
Oldham
6/1
Port Vale
6/1
Cambridge
13/2
Stevenage
7/1
Cheltenham
8/1
Crawley
8/1
Grimsby
9/1
Macclesfield
9/1
Morecambe
12/1

https://m.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/event/23829111
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 16, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Les Brechin
Not seen any odds released for next season yet.

Just seen it now!!

Quoted Text

Relegation

Grimsby 5/2
Morecambe 3/1
Crawley 7/2
Macclesfield 4/1
Cheltenham 5/1
Port Vale 13/2
Stevenage 13/2
Leyton Orient 11/1
Crewe 12/1
Northampton 12/1
Oldham 12/1
Cambridge 14/1
Carlisle 20/1
Exeter 20/1
Colchester 25/1
Swindon 25/1
Salford City 33/1
Scunthorpe 40/1
Walsall 40/1
Bradford 50/1
Mansfield 50/1
Plymouth 66/1

Posted by: IlkleyMariner, May 16, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 9
The range of odds from 2-1 to 12-1 suggests that there is no real market at present.  
Loser of Tranmere v Newport final playoff could also do well.

Too early to form any conclusion as lots of signings still to come for most teams.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 16, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 10
And this in a nutshell is exactly how the wider football world view our club..

Propping up the whole Football League. Quite frankly, it's an embarrassment..

Relegation

Grimsby 5/2
Morecambe 3/1
Crawley 7/2
Macclesfield 4/1
Cheltenham 5/1
Port Vale 13/2
Stevenage 13/2
Leyton Orient 11/1
Crewe 12/1
Northampton 12/1
Oldham 12/1
Cambridge 14/1
Carlisle 20/1
Exeter 20/1
Colchester 25/1
Swindon 25/1
Salford City 33/1
Scunthorpe 40/1
Walsall 40/1
Bradford 50/1
Mansfield 50/1
Plymouth 66/1
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 16, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 11
The bookies must read the fishy.  ;D
Posted by: jock dock tower, May 16, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 12
It means absolutely nowt. What were the odds this time last year on County going down? Save your collective breaths for something meaningful, please....
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 16, 2019, 10:26pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jock dock tower
It means absolutely nowt. What were the odds this time last year on County going down? Save your collective breaths for something meaningful, please....

I’ve been saving my collective breath for far too long already. It seems we can’t persuade bang average players to stay with us so I’m not over hopeful of us attracting good ones.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 16, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 14
Just for context, Notts County were the bookies favourites to win League 2 last season.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 17, 2019, 6:59am; Reply: 15
The point I was obviously making had nothing to do with whether the bookies are right or wrong. They got Notts County wrong but got Lincoln bang on and are generally not too far away with their assessments as it's how they make their money. It's the perception of our club to the footballing world, which means young kids growing up in Grimsby deciding Town are shite and following Citeh instead, players choosing which clubs to play for and thinking Town are a shite bottom feeding club. The stigma is so firmly attached that we are predicted to go down before a player has been signed or a ball has been kicked in anger. It doesn't mean we'll certainly go down or stop us from challenging for promotion, but it's helluva poor stigma to have isn't it?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 17, 2019, 7:48am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Bigdog
The point I was obviously making had nothing to do with whether the bookies are right or wrong. They got Notts County wrong but got Lincoln bang on and are generally not too far away with their assessments as it's how they make their money. It's the perception of our club to the footballing world, which means young kids growing up in Grimsby deciding Town are shite and following Citeh instead, players choosing which clubs to play for and thinking Town are a shite bottom feeding club. The stigma is so firmly attached that we are predicted to go down before a player has been signed or a ball has been kicked in anger. It doesn't mean we'll certainly go down or stop us from challenging for promotion, but it's helluva poor stigma to have isn't it?

Bang on assessment of where the club is I'm afraid..over to MJ to convince prospective signings that we aren't dead wood and they'll be coming to a club with superb fans and a plan to bring the good times back...over to Fenty to loosen the purse strings and sign said players...
Posted by: Yoda, May 17, 2019, 8:48am; Reply: 17
The trouble is any potential players will look at this and think twice about signing for us.

No one wants a relegation out of the league on there cv.

Could be a long season.!!!
Posted by: supertown, May 17, 2019, 8:53am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Yoda
The trouble is any potential players will look at this and think twice about signing for us.

No one wants a relegation out of the league on there cv.

Could be a long season.!!!

Really ?
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 17, 2019, 8:54am; Reply: 19
Notts County listed as favourites last year was a rare oversight from the bookies.

They don't often get it wrong, hence why you never see a poor bookie!

It should serve as no surprise that we're favourites to drop out the league (again).   If you look at it solely from an outside perspective...

Posted by: Maringer, May 17, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Bigdog
And this in a nutshell is exactly how the wider football world view our club..

Propping up the whole Football League. Quite frankly, it's an embarrassment..

A good job that bookies and their random punters don't decide League position then, isn't it?

We finished 6 places and 15 points clear of the drop last season. Just 5 places and 5 points clear the season before. We also won 5 points more than the previous season as well. Scored 4 more goals, conceded 11 fewer. In every way, this season was an improvement on the last.

It certainly wasn't great and I don't think anybody would argue it was, but favourites for the drop? Nah. That's just betting idiocy.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 17, 2019, 9:24am; Reply: 21
Quoted from supertown

Really ?

Well yes. The day has long since gone when we were viewed as a decent club that was going through bad times.

Rank bad mismanagement now shows the football world we are minnows  struggling to stay in league 2, and getting a potential player to even talk to us is going to be tough.

If we can get to talk to them, offer realistic money and show them a vision that Jolley has we have a better chance, but all of our capital has been used up - the board have made us a laughing stock and they are now reaping their "rewards" by having a club many see as favourites to drop out of the league again.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 17, 2019, 10:36am; Reply: 22
Odds means nothing... Wasn't Notts Country favourite to win the league/promotion last pre-season?!?
Posted by: ROKERITE, May 17, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Sky Bet League Two Promotion 19/20.......

Plymouth
2/1
Bradford
5/2
Mansfield
5/2
Scunthorpe
5/2
Salford City
3/1
Walsall
10/3
Carlisle
7/2
Colchester
7/2
Leyton Orient
4/1
Swindon
4/1
Exeter
5/1
Northampton
5/1
Crewe
6/1
Oldham
6/1
Port Vale
6/1
Cambridge
13/2
Stevenage
7/1
Cheltenham
8/1
Crawley
8/1
Grimsby
9/1
Macclesfield
9/1
Morecambe
12/1

https://m.skybet.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/event/23829111

Grimsby Town 9/1 for promotion, exactly the price I backed you at last season.

Posted by: grimsby pete, May 17, 2019, 11:08am; Reply: 24
We have lost a couple of average players and let go 4 others.

No signings yet so how can they say we are favourites for the drop ?

Lets see the quality of our new signings before we contemplate   the worse.
Posted by: Maringer, May 17, 2019, 11:25am; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete
No signings yet so how can they say we are favourites for the drop ?

Because bookies are never, ever going to miss an opportunity to take money off daft punters even if the bets are based on nothing more than guesswork.  :)
Posted by: RichMariner, May 17, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 26
Literally one person has sat down and decided those odds. There will be zero cash in the market, so until people start placing some bets those odds will remain the opinion of one person.

There's no algorithm for this. Bookies don't usually offer markets like this because there's not a lot of people taking part. The money, like in the sport itself, is right at the top.

Those odds are no different from some random person off the street saying 'I think Grimsby are favourites for relegation next season' and it'll be based on nothing more than a questionably-informed hunch.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 17, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 27
I might stick a fiver on Morecambe going down so that they become favourites
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 17, 2019, 11:50am; Reply: 28
Them odds are as accurate as usual at this time of the year.

The teams just relegated up there, a team that only just stayed up 2 seasons ago, and made small improvement this season, are bound to be down at the lower end.

This might change with a few signings, might not... but they are not far off based on my expectations at this stage
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 17, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Them odds are as accurate as usual at this time of the year.

The teams just relegated up there, a team that only just stayed up 2 seasons ago, and made small improvement this season, are bound to be down at the lower end.

This might change with a few signings, might not... but they are not far off based on my expectations at this stage

Nor mine.

Our retained list includes 5 youths, 2 who've barely played (Wright & Rose), 3 other strikers who are hardly prolific (Cardwell, Cook & Vernam) and two goalies who may or may not leave. Who said we wouldn't have to rebuild?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 17, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 30
I think were nailed on to be bottom half barring a miraculous bit of wheeler dealing with transfers and our young players performing better than expected. I don`t see us getting relegated BUT given these awful runs we seem to have it could easily happen . MJ a year and a bit into the job should now know his way around League 2 and I expect him to at the very least have us organised and drilled and with the base of a squad already in place I expect to see further improvement . As usual all teams at our level need that goalscorer that`s what makes the difference we get one of those in we will do better than most.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 17, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I think were nailed on to be bottom half barring a miraculous bit of wheeler dealing with transfers and our young players performing better than expected. I don`t see us getting relegated BUT given these awful runs we seem to have it could easily happen . MJ a year and a bit into the job should now know his way around League 2 and I expect him to at the very least have us organised and drilled and with the base of a squad already in place I expect to see further improvement . As usual all teams at our level need that goalscorer that`s what makes the difference we get one of those in we will do better than most.

I don't see much of a base of a squad if I'm honest. Hess, Hendrie, Macca & Vernam OK but beyond that? Ohman looks like he could get booked every game, Harry is very inconsistent, Wright & Rose maybe off the bench, Cook grafts but little end product and Cardwell & Ring just don't look good enough.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 17, 2019, 1:58pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from RichMariner
Literally one person has sat down and decided those odds. There will be zero cash in the market, so until people start placing some bets those odds will remain the opinion of one person.

There's no algorithm for this. Bookies don't usually offer markets like this because there's not a lot of people taking part. The money, like in the sport itself, is right at the top.

Those odds are no different from some random person off the street saying 'I think Grimsby are favourites for relegation next season' and it'll be based on nothing more than a questionably-informed hunch.

I was wondering how he was getting on after Notre Dame burnt down...  ;)

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 17, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from RichMariner

Of course you are correct, but I don't think that is the point.

If we hadn't had a terrible couple of decades, had not finished 18th and 17th in the last two seasons, had not got a non-investing non-chairman then the opinion of one person might seem a tad harsh.

Anybody that is not a Grimsby fan will look at the club and quite rightly will come to the conclusion that they will be favourites for the drop.

We haven't signed a star player for years; there is no chance we will sign enough quality players this time round either.

We have to face the unpalatable truth that we are a struggling league 2 / Conference club and unless something dramatic happens we will stay that way.
Posted by: carrot top, May 17, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 34
Every division has teams struggling near the foot of the table. That is how football works and unfortunately I see Town really struggling to avoid relegation without investment.
I always thought we would have to rebuild following some of the shocking and non entertaining performances this past season, so it is no surprise that average players have gone.
It has been said before that the break up of the conference promotion squad has cost us dear as we have struggled to put a decent squad together along with 4 different managers in that short space of time
Time will tell but I am not confident with this current regime of custodians to deliver
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 17, 2019, 3:46pm; Reply: 35
Although we may think that we are bottom half yet again next season, as long as we beat the scunts home and away and finish above them, then in my eyes thats success.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 17, 2019, 4:26pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Gaffer58
Although we may think that we are bottom half yet again next season, as long as we beat the scunts home and away and finish above them, then in my eyes thats success.

Only as long as they don't finish bottom!
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 17, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin

Only as long as they don't finish bottom!

Good point Les.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 17, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 38
Pin the odds on the dressing room wall first game of the season
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 17, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Gaffer58

Good point Les.

It would work if Scunny finish second from bottom though!  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 17, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

It would work if Scunny finish second from bottom though!  ;)

Show sum ambishun!

I reckon we'll finish 16th.  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, May 17, 2019, 9:27pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from GrimRob
Pin the odds on the dressing room wall first game of the season

Betting is illegal for players ;)
Posted by: Yoda, May 19, 2019, 4:28pm; Reply: 42
We will be in the bottom 4 or 5 all season unless MJ can unearth some talent.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 19, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Yoda
We will be in the bottom 4 or 5 all season unless MJ can unearth some talent.

Tb h it's not difficult to foresee how that's going to pan out
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 5:52am