Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 14, 2019, 4:30pm
...by Mansfield.

Not good enough just getting to the play-offs.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 14, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 1
Interesting, have they decided which of their out of contract players are getting renewed or leaving yet? Decent players, just up the road, could suddenly have found themselves available...
Posted by: Ipswin, May 14, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from arryarryarry
...by Mansfield.

Not good enough just getting to the play-offs.

Quite right, he's failed to meet his objectives. The owner's target was promotion and he didn't deliver

Posted by: forza ivano, May 14, 2019, 4:46pm; Reply: 3
moves M.J. up a place in the longest serving maangers stakes - now 35th , and he's only been her 14 months!
Posted by: Maringer, May 14, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 4
They spent big last summer, didn't they? I'm sure he's been paid well enough and knew what was expected of the team.
Posted by: supertown, May 14, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 5
This will be Hurst in a years time . (If he lasts that long) Swan fires more people than Alan Sugar
Posted by: quebec38, May 14, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 6
He looked like a man that knew what was coming when the penalty was missed on Sunday. I'm not a fan of sacking managers and think they may as well keep him for next year (I'm sure he'd do it next time), but when you blow teams out of the water with your spending and aren't even top 5, you probably deserve to go.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 14, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from quebec38
He looked like a man that knew what was coming when the penalty was missed on Sunday. I'm not a fan of sacking managers and think they may as well keep him for next year (I'm sure he'd do it next time), but when you blow teams out of the water with your spending and aren't even top 5, you probably deserve to go.

The finished 4th..

Posted by: moosey_club, May 14, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

The finished 4th..

still no prizes for 4th....they will still be visiting BP next year and we spent nearly fck all  ;D
Posted by: quebec38, May 14, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

The finished 4th..

Missed out on the top 3 and then 2 better sides in the playoffs..
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, May 14, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 10
As much as I can't stand him or Mansfield.. Can't help but feel this is a very harsh decision... What's the betting on Evans being back in the chair?!?
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 14, 2019, 11:31pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
What's the betting on Evans being back in the chair?!?

Probably better than on him being able to get out of said chair.
Posted by: Grantley, May 15, 2019, 2:28am; Reply: 12
Mansfield have had a big budget for this level and Flitcroft has blown it two years in a row. Deserved.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 15, 2019, 6:47am; Reply: 13
Mansfield are another example of money flooding into the lower reaches of the League .Club after Club seem to strike it rich and we are still rummaging down the back of the settee to find another 50p to boost our coffers . It is alarming in 25 years how many Clubs have gone past us in size money talks and were flipping skint :-/
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 15, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 14

Mansfield appoint John Dempster as manager, it will be Dempter's first managerial role....bit of a gamble.
Posted by: Rick12, May 15, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 15
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Mansfield are another example of money flooding into the lower reaches of the League .Club after Club seem to strike it rich and we are still rummaging down the back of the settee to find another 50p to boost our coffers . It is alarming in 25 years how many Clubs have gone past us in size money talks and were flipping skint :-/
And theres footballs problem and the reason why I have become disillusioned with it.Its just a business now but still less so in the lower leagues.

Dont know if you saw a excellent documentary around 6 years back which goes with what your saying in the above. QPR when they were in league 1 were backed by a rich Italian investor.After he got them promoted with his money he took his shares and left.Just wanted to make money out of them and had little interest in the football.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 15, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from promotion plaice

Mansfield appoint John Dempster as manager, it will be Dempter's first managerial role....bit of a gamble.

It is asking a lot of the chap to go from academy director to first team manager no matter how good a coach he is and how much money there is to spend. We found that out.
Posted by: rancido, May 15, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 17

It is asking a lot of the chap to go from academy director to first team manager no matter how good a coach he is and how much money there is to spend. We found that out.

Worked out ok for Eddie Howe at Bournemouth. Similar elevation in levels.
Posted by: lukeo, May 17, 2019, 8:09am; Reply: 18
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Ive literally just posted something similar on another thread.. We've stood still regarding financially whilst other clubs are growing financially
Posted by: Maringer, May 17, 2019, 9:09am; Reply: 19
Mansfield aren't growing financially, though, are they? They've just got a very wealthy owner willing to lose money hand over fist on an ego trip. See also FGR.

Once the owner loses interest, the money dries up or he pops his clogs, they'll be back to where they started as a smallish lower division club. Or a smallish non-league club in the case of FGR.

I don't look enviously at these clubs chucking money around like there is no tomorrow to try and achieve 'success'. Accrington have shown what is achievable if you are well run but don't have a lot of spare cash to hand. Failing a takeover by unnamed moneybags willing to lose a load of money, that's the thing we need to do. Hopefully, Jolley will improve the squad from last season and we'll have a better go next time around. I have less faith that he'll be able to do this than I did a year ago following some poor or distinctly average signings last summer, but continue to live in hope.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 17, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Maringer
Mansfield aren't growing financially, though, are they? They've just got a very wealthy owner willing to lose money hand over fist on an ego trip. See also FGR.

Once the owner loses interest, the money dries up or he pops his clogs, they'll be back to where they started as a smallish lower division club. Or a smallish non-league club in the case of FGR.

I don't look enviously at these clubs chucking money around like there is no tomorrow to try and achieve 'success'. Accrington have shown what is achievable if you are well run but don't have a lot of spare cash to hand. Failing a takeover by unnamed moneybags willing to lose a load of money, that's the thing we need to do. Hopefully, Jolley will improve the squad from last season and we'll have a better go next time around. I have less faith that he'll be able to do this than I did a year ago following some poor or distinctly average signings last summer, but continue to live in hope.

I agree with this. There are other examples around too. Newport and Exeter spring to mind. Not as dramatic as Accy but probably even more sustainable.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 5:04pm