Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: forza ivano, May 13, 2019, 3:45pm
https://upthemariners.co.uk/2019/05/13/former-manchester-united-player-signing/amp/?__twitter_impression=true&fbclid=IwAR2TtuXlF_ZFCuAxL_sZRcxBCy1lAMz5NdUvtlONIT2h5WcMpRtg9NjyW8A

on facebook .Anyone know how reliable (or not) this site is?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 13, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 1
To be honest I hope not...another OAP looking for a final pay day...think Joley should be setting an age limit at 32 ...
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 13, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 2
His name keeps getting bandied about,  the jolley connection could be why, we need to replace the experience we've lost so I think it'd be an ideal signing for us in that sense just like Welsh when he came though, very little gametime this season so I'd be worried about fitness
Posted by: Poojah, May 13, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 3
Far too many parallels to Welsh for me. Decent pedigree at youth level, carved out a decent career in the second tier but now in his mid-thirties and has barely played over the past couple of years.

Not for me.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 13, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
To be honest I hope not...another OAP looking for a final pay day...think Joley should be setting an age limit at 32 ...

Danny Collins was a model professional though I think the key is looking at how much they've played the season before, if you've only played a couple of games the entire season before like Jones and Welsh, it's gonna be far harder to get going again at that age than it will be for elliot Whitehouse I'd have thought
Posted by: mariner91, May 13, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 5
Always concerning when an older player hasn't played much the season before. Especially if it's a midfielder who needs to have some mobility, not like Welsh who could barely move about the pitch. I would steer clear of this one if it was me but I guess we'll see.
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 13, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 6
He won't come cheap, and do we really want to blow a decent portion of our budget on another midfielder in the same mold as Clifton and Hessenthaler?
Posted by: mimma, May 13, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 7
He's a player that Jolley knows well and will know all about his fitness levels. He doesn't appear to have had any serious injury problems like some of the journeyman we've had. We need a bit of experience in the middle of the park to help our youngsters. Dropping down from the championship he will find the game is a lot slower than he is use to so should adapt well if he stays clear of injuries. Trust Jolleys judgement
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 13, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 8
Too old. We need young hungry up and coming players not those on their last footballing legs.
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 13, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 9
Too old. We need young hungry up and coming players not those on their last footballing legs.

Let’s be honest we’ve got quite a few of the above. Nothing wrong with adding abit of experience alongside it.

34 isn’t what it used to be now with the modern game and all the sport science.
Posted by: forza ivano, May 13, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Mariner93er
He won't come cheap, and do we really want to blow a decent portion of our budget on another midfielder in the same mold as Clifton and Hessenthaler?

I think he's a more creative type midfielder but others on here will know more
Posted by: Teesknees, May 13, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 11

"Dutch side Heracles have offered 34 year old midfielder David Jones a one year deal after his release from Sheffield Wednesday" it says on an owl site. Might be as wrong as the rumour he's coming here ffs!
Posted by: malkamalka, May 13, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 12

So if Yaya Toure popped his head round the BP door, you'd tell him "On yer bike pal"?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 13
Wonder what Davey Jones has got in his locker.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 13, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Wonder what Davey Jones has got in his locker.

If you think he's coming here you must be a Daydream Believer

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 13, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from malkamalka

So if Yaya Toure popped his head round the BP door, you'd tell him "On yer bike pal"?

Somehow don't think that comparison can be used..it's like comparing Skoda to Ferrari... someone offered me a 34 year old Skoda I'd tell en thanks but no thanks, offer me a 37 year old Ferrari I'd certainly not turn that down..
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 13, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 16

Somehow don't think that comparison can be used..it's like comparing Skoda to Ferrari... someone offered me a 34 year old Skoda I'd tell en thanks but no thanks, offer me a 37 year old Ferrari I'd certainly not turn that down..

We'll probably end up with a 37 year old Reliant Robin.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 13, 2019, 8:31pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from promotion plaice

We'll probably end up with a 37 year old Reliant Robin.

With a flat front tyre, a sign in the window saying "tax in the post" and T.I.T on the side panels!!..
Posted by: golfer, May 13, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 18
We get rid of the olduns with one hand and bring them back with the next. Alan Buckley will most likely be the next----but
Posted by: hheh2, May 13, 2019, 11:24pm; Reply: 19
You knows if he'll be a good or bad player everyone is different. Every successful team has an experienced midfielder?
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 14, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 20
Can’t really see him coming here for 1500 a week so probably not worth a thread . I’d rather we spent £££ on a couple of young cast off strikers from prem teams that have the potential and desire to make a career.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 14, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 21
Doesnt look like he plays that many games wherever he goes but has a few promotions on his cv. Injured and bit part is his most recent addition to the cv so not excited at the prospect.

Posted by: rancido, May 15, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Ipswin

If you think he's coming here you must be a Daydream Believer

Well if he turns out a duffer then I hope he isn't on The Last Train To Clarkesville
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 15, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 23
I think he still got something left in his locker
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 15, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 24
Commuting from South Yorks perhaps? Has its attractions if the money was right.

I can understand MJ wanting someone on the park with presence to gee up the others. But that means organising the team around one player again.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 15, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think he still got something left in his locker

Oooh, very deep that one Pete (turned)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 15, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from RoboCod

Oooh, very deep that one Pete (turned)

That would mean he’s going to ‘ull. ;)

Posted by: rancido, May 15, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 27
Certainly not for me - too old for what we need. We need somebody about 30 years old, from a higher level and who wants a club for his last 3 or 4 years at league level. Somebody like Disley when he came here.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 15, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 28
I think there's a role for an experienced ball player alongside Clifton and Hessenthaler in the middle. My main concern (like most)  would be the whole fitness thing.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 15, 2019, 7:54pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from rancido
Certainly not for me - too old for what we need. We need somebody about 30 years old, from a higher level and who wants a club for his last 3 or 4 years at league level. Somebody like Disley when he came here.

Or another Garry Birtles...👍👍
Posted by: Davec, May 16, 2019, 6:50am; Reply: 30
Obviously his age is a risk but just because he's 34 that doesn't mean hes automatically past it and he will be John Welsh MK II, look at James Coppinger, Neal Bishop, David Perkins, and to a lesser extent Kevin Ellison and even Danny Whittaker when he played in non league, all late 30s but still do a job.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, May 16, 2019, 7:30am; Reply: 31
If he did join us I wonder whether this would be a sort of Sam Russell signing. Could be Jolley is exploring different ways of expanding the non-playing staff?

Could be Jones would be seen as a player coach. Complete speculation of course on my part, but it would seem odd to sign a player who just like Welsh has basically not played football last season.

Having said that he did make 20 starts out of his 27 Championship appearances in 2017-18. Mostly in the first half of the season, since Wednesday changed manager in December 2017 he has been out the side essentially. So it might be different to Welsh, could be the new manager (at the time Jos Luhukay) did not fancy him.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/david-jones/leistungsdaten/spieler/24634/saison/2017/plus/1#gesamt  (for a detailed view of his playing stats).
Posted by: Croxton, May 16, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
If he did join us I wonder whether this would be a sort of Sam Russell signing. Could be Jolley is exploring different ways of expanding the non-playing staff?

Could be Jones would be seen as a player coach. Complete speculation of course on my part, but it would seem odd to sign a player who just like Welsh has basically not played football last season.

Having said that he did make 20 starts out of his 27 Championship appearances in 2017-18. Mostly in the first half of the season, since Wednesday changed manager in December 2017 he has been out the side essentially. So it might be different to Welsh, could be the new manager (at the time Jos Luhukay) did not fancy him.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/david-jones/leistungsdaten/spieler/24634/saison/2017/plus/1#gesamt  (for a detailed view of his playing stats).

Difficult to find a positive comment from Owls fans. 'horrendous' and 'Burnley had our pants down' are typical comments. We already have one midfielder who has not played for a year. If MJ thinks that knowing him from a previous club is insurance then it would not have the 'ring' of confidence for me.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, May 16, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Croxton

Difficult to find a positive comment from Owls fans. 'horrendous' and 'Burnley had our pants down' are typical comments. We already have one midfielder who has not played for a year. If MJ thinks that knowing him from a previous club is insurance then it would not have the 'ring' of confidence for me.

Ah, I was not aware of such positive feedback from the Wednesday fans.  ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 16, 2019, 11:31am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Croxton

Wednesday are 2 league's above us... if they had any of our players, they would get labelled the same.

I've seen him play a few times actually, and he is/was a very good footballer
Posted by: mariner91, May 16, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Wednesday are 2 league's above us... if they had any of our players, they would get labelled the same.

I've seen him play a few times actually, and he is/was a very good footballer

Was is probably the correct tense.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 16, 2019, 11:52am; Reply: 36
Quoted from mariner91

Was is probably the correct tense.

Based on what?

Disley still played for us at 35, and his career never went higher than league 1.

Jones has never been lower than league 1... around 250 games in championship, over 100 in the premiership.... yet we are still writing him off because of the Welsh signing...
Posted by: sam gy, May 16, 2019, 12:19pm; Reply: 37
My Wednesday supporting mates don’t really have a positive word to say….but then Rotherham fans were all telling us how terrible Danny Collins was when he came to us.

He was probably older (?) than Jones when he first signed with us and at least in those first two seasons did a really good job for us, as well as seemingly being a good character in the dressing room.

Let’s see eh.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 16, 2019, 12:24pm; Reply: 38
You never know he might be a Star Man.
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 16, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 39

Took me nearly 5 years to get that one.
Posted by: mariner91, May 16, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Based on what?

Disley still played for us at 35, and his career never went higher than league 1.

Jones has never been lower than league 1... around 250 games in championship, over 100 in the premiership.... yet we are still writing him off because of the Welsh signing...

Disley joined us at the age of 30, pretty much his prime. And played continuously for those years. Jones has played 2 games in the last year. So either he's been injured or completely out of favour. He's only played 67 games since the age of 30, whereas Disley played around 200. Even if he hasn't been injured, it's not easy for a midfielder to get back to full fitness and mobility at the age of nearly 35. It's different if you're a defender or keeper where you don't necessarily have to have much mobility but if you're unable to get around the pitch as a midfielder, you've got to be much, much better on the ball than the level you're playing at or you become a liability. Who knows, he could sign and be ace but we've been stung very recently with a similar type of signing so I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic personally.
Posted by: rancido, May 16, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Based on what?

But Disley was 29 ( ? ) when he joined us, still had a few years left and proved it. Jones is one year younger than Dis when he went non-league. I know Jones has experienced playing two league higher than us but not that many games in the last couple of seasons. He may be experience but so was Clarke when Slade signed him and I would rather have kept Pearson than bring in Clarke. I just feel that at 34 we would only really get 1 possibly good season out of Jones and then what? Find another experienced but ageing replacement? Too old for me and not a player who you could be the basis of a future promotion achieving team.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 16, 2019, 2:04pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from mariner91

Disley joined us at the age of 30, pretty much his prime. And played continuously for those years. Jones has played 2 games in the last year. So either he's been injured or completely out of favour. He's only played 67 games since the age of 30, whereas Disley played around 200. Even if he hasn't been injured, it's not easy for a midfielder to get back to full fitness and mobility at the age of nearly 35. It's different if you're a defender or keeper where you don't necessarily have to have much mobility but if you're unable to get around the pitch as a midfielder, you've got to be much, much better on the ball than the level you're playing at or you become a liability. Who knows, he could sign and be ace but we've been stung very recently with a similar type of signing so I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic personally.

That is the nail on the head. Unless there is some other backroom role for him as well I too would be very dubious about his fitness and reluctant to spend any of our minuscule budget on him.

Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 16, 2019, 2:17pm; Reply: 43
At no point have I said he will be a great signing, be our best player, but you can't say he will be crap because he's old?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 16, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 44
5 pages on conjecture and a summation...we really need to get some signings in to have a "real" discussion...
Posted by: Maringer, May 16, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
At no point have I said he will be a great signing, be our best player, but you can't say he will be crap because he's old?

I'd say that the chances are that any 34 year old who hasn't played much in recent years is a risky proposition. He might well still have the 'legs' to cope with the wear and tear of regular first team matches as some 'older' players do, but there is no way of knowing one way or the other. We all remember players such as Strachan and McAllister who played at a high level until much older than 34 but they were playing regularly all the way through their careers, even in their early 30s. Disley similarly so.

For me, it would be too much of a gamble. If a player of a similar age who had been making 35+ appearances for the past few years became available, it might be a different matter.

This is for outfield players, of course. Quite commonplace for keepers not to play much for years but you wouldn't expect them to suffer with injuries as much as there is less wear and tear in goal.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, May 16, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 46
You’ve got to question his desire really . He’s hardly played the last couple of years at Wednesday when he should/ could’ve dropped down a league or 2 to play games at the end of his career . But it would look like he’s been happy to slide away . Why would he suddenly want or have the drive to scrap in L2 now when he’s most likely got all he wants from football.
It would be a brave manager to sign him . I wouldn’t bother with . The minus points outweighs his plus points for me . He won’t come cheap - id rather split the £ he would want between a couple of younger hungry players from non league everyday of the week .
Posted by: moosey_club, May 16, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Davec
Obviously his age is a risk but just because he's 34 that doesn't mean hes automatically past it and he will be John Welsh MK II, look at James Coppinger, Neal Bishop, David Perkins, and to a lesser extent Kevin Ellison and even Danny Whittaker when he played in non league, all late 30s but still do a job.

and all playing regularly and not plagued by injury .... i think his record looked like he played less than half of the games he could have wherever he has been...30 odd games in two seasons type of thing and last time out 2 games in a season was it ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 16, 2019, 10:34pm; Reply: 48

You should change your username to the Laughing_Gnome
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), May 18, 2019, 3:42pm; Reply: 49
To be fair he has played at a high level, I would think that at best he could be another Collins, do a good job for a couple of years, but I'd fear it's more likely he'd be a woolford type who comes in and never really provides what is needed...
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 18, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 50
If he reads the fishy then he will probably change his mind over signing . With fans thinking this already who needs enemies . Think back to Futcher couldn't get in Halufax's first team.  What an astute signing he proved to be .
Posted by: Yoda, May 18, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 51
He’s an old has been going for one last pay check.

Get in some good conference players.

MJ doesn’t seem to want to scout the lower leagues.
Posted by: rancido, May 18, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from barrattstandman
If he reads the fishy then he will probably change his mind over signing . With fans thinking this already who needs enemies . Think back to Futcher couldn't get in Halufax's first team.  What an astute signing he proved to be .

I think you will find that Futcher had been confined to Halifax reserves because of a fall out with their manager. It was more of a punishment than his playing ability.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, May 18, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 53
Championship teams have big squads now. Whether he will be any good I don’t know, but the best centre mid I’ve seen this season was Neal Bishop and he’s ancient.

Someone with quality who can’t move as well as they used to at a higher level might complement our current youthful midfielders. Welsh was a disaster because he couldn’t run, he was never a ball player
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 2:27pm