Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 13, 2019, 12:08pm
Been appointed deputy leader of the council, no surprises there.  Also portfolio holder for regeneration, skills and housing.
Will this represent a conflict of interests with his role as director and major shareholder of GTFC.
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 13, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 1
Well at least he can not vote against the stadium plans.   ;)  ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 13, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 2
Can't he?
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 13, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 3
Can't he?

I forgot to add a wink.  ;)

He can vote against it from the club side but not as a councillor .
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 13, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 4
Been appointed deputy leader of the council, no surprises there.  Also portfolio holder for regeneration, skills and housing.
Will this represent a conflict of interests with his role as director and major shareholder of GTFC.

I would like to volunteer to look after John`s shares if he wants to bestow them upon me FOC. ;)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 13, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 5
Wearing his GTFC hat, he is looking at other options.
Wearing his council (that he is deputy leader and regeneration portfolio holder of), Freeman street is the preferred option
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 13, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 6
Wearing his council (that he is deputy leader and regeneration portfolio holder of), Freeman street is the preferred option

I give JF stick for a few things BUT his pursuit of a new ground isn`t one of them . I believe he has been misled over preffered sites several times over the years and he has committed to feasability studies under instruction that ultimately got him and GTFC no further on . I think and hope JF realises now Freemo is the best viable option for the ground (some will say I told you so all along ) it feels right ,it looks right and unlike the other options the vast majority of local non football supporting public will either back it or at least not object. Town have been at Blundell Park over 100 year`s so why not Freemo for the next 100 year`s?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 13, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 7
I hope so too
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 13, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 8
If John really wants a get out strategy there will never be a better opportunity than this even recouping his benign loan
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 13, 2019, 2:43pm; Reply: 9
Could this help us getting the stadium ?
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 13, 2019, 2:45pm; Reply: 10
Of course it could it would also free up Fenty to concentrate on his political ambitions.
Posted by: rancido, May 13, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 11

Surely the fact he is a shareholder and Director of GTFC would preclude him from any voting decisions at Council level . I seem to recall that many years ago Liverpool ST holding  Councillors were not allowed to vote on a council proposal for a compulsory purchase order on properties in order for Anfield to be enlarged. This set a precedent that I do believe still applies.
Posted by: mimma, May 13, 2019, 6:07pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from rancido

Surely the fact he is a shareholder and Director of GTFC would preclude him from any voting decisions at Council level . I seem to recall that many years ago Liverpool ST holding  Councillors were not allowed to vote on a council proposal for a compulsory purchase order on properties in order for Anfield to be enlarged. This set a precedent that I do believe still applies.

You are correct sir. If you cast your mind back to the Great Coates debacle half the councillors had to leave the chamber when the stadium was discussed because they followed Town and were deemed to have a conflict of interest. This left the non football fraternity to have the decisions to make who didn't have a clue about what the club means to the community

. The rest is history
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 13, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 13
ABUSE REMOVED

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/john-fenty-grimsby-town-stadium-2862467?fbclid=IwAR2UHiOgXvajPT8Bj23xeY1N05kfTT7cokhCWRHkv5BLy9iOAPup64RDynA
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 13, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from pen penfras

huh?

I think he pointing out the obvious - it would always mean a conflict of interest. Most people would have realised that long before now.

Since Fenty has been on the council, the club has benefited not one jot.  
Posted by: pen penfras, May 13, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 15

I think he pointing out the obvious - it would always mean a conflict of interest. Most people would have realised that long before now.

Since Fenty has been on the council, the club has benefited not one jot.  

Of course it was going to be, did Fenty say otherwise? It doesn't mean that it won't be of any benefit. It's a different party in control and one that thinks highly enough of JF to put him in a high position. The article mentions that the leader sees a community stadium as beneficial to the area.

Still a lot of hurdles to go before anything even starts to happen, but I'm more optimistic with a new council than what's been going on the last 20 years with the previous councils.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 13, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 16
I may have interpreted this wrong if so I apologise.  

He became a councillor soon after losing the Great coates project. I thought he did this to find out what goes on in the slimy s secret world of councils and brown envelopes.

If so I again apologise bu Just want GTFC TO COME UP TO DATE AND HAVE A STADIUM TO BE PROUD OF.

UTM Always.

Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, May 13, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Wow. Just wow. Pure hatred. Totally unnecessary to spout language like that. Call yourself an adult? I'm all for people having opinions, debates and suchlike and get that not everyone will ever like everyone and understand the ill feeling towards JF but what you have just written is horrible. There's a word for people like you = internet troll.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 13, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

Wow. Just wow. Pure hatred. Totally unnecessary to spout language like that. Call yourself an adult? I'm all for people having opinions, debates and suchlike and get that not everyone will ever like everyone and understand the ill feeling towards JF but what you have just written is horrible. There's a word for people like you = internet troll.

I'm no Mr Fenty fan but I do agree with you on this one.

Posted by: moosey_club, May 13, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from mimma

You are correct sir. If you cast your mind back to the Great Coates debacle half the councillors had to leave the chamber when the stadium was discussed because they followed Town and were deemed to have a conflict of interest. This left the non football fraternity to have the decisions to make who didn't have a clue about what the club means to the community

. The rest is history

We got planning permission for the site and then pulled out do you mean ?  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 13, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 20
So, the majority on here think Mr Fenty had no clue when it comes to running a football club, the amount of comments about us stagnating for the last 20 years, season ticket initiative, of lack off, yet somehow he is deemed to have the qualities to be deputy leader of the council.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 13, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Gaffer58
So, the majority on here think Mr Fenty had no clue when it comes to running a football club, the amount of comments about us stagnating for the last 20 years, season ticket initiative, of lack off, yet somehow he is deemed to have the qualities to be deputy leader of the council.

Maybe says more about the council than Mr Fenty?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 22

I've never noticed that before. You usually only pop up to slag people off who criticse JF (even if they use more temperate language than Mrs D did in this thread).
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, May 13, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I've never noticed that before. You usually only pop up to slag people off who criticse JF (even if they use more temperate language than Mrs D did in this thread).

I'd think the same regardless who it was aimed at. I personally don't understand where being abusive towards one another gets anyone in life? And what the poster gets out of it?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 13, 2019, 10:03pm; Reply: 24

I'd think the same regardless who it was aimed at. I personally don't understand where being abusive towards one another gets anyone in life? And what the poster gets out of it?

The fellah was over the top and he said sorry. But you're just being hypocritical claiming you're all for debate. You only pop up to have a go at people for criticisng Fenty.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 13, 2019, 10:21pm; Reply: 25

Get a life pal. I am was brought up on a grimsby estate and worked in fish houses the janguich there is far more colourful.

I care for GTFC been supporter over 40years.

i apologised TWICE for any mix up with my post

sorry if I spoiled your day.I am not apologising to you

This will be my last post snowflakes have fun
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, May 13, 2019, 10:43pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Get a life pal. I am was brought up on a grimsby estate and worked in fish houses the janguich there is far more colourful.

I care for GTFC been supporter over 40years.

i apologised TWICE for any mix up with my post

sorry if I spoiled your day.I am not apologising to you

This will be my last post snowflakes have fun

I am grimsby through and through more than you realise, I too care for GTFC otherwise I wouldn't pay for a season ticket year after year and attend home and a majority of away matches. And support the club in any other way that I can.  I too have worked in fish houses. Not that that has anything to do with this?! You've not spoiled my day it takes alot more than that I can assure you but read it back mate and you have said sorry I'm not apologising so in effect you have apologised.

As for someone else calling me out for saying i enjoy a good debate but only stick up for Fenty, I enjoy healthy, reasonable debate. Not the same sh1t that gets thrown about on the fishy, same sh1t different thread.
Posted by: mimma, May 13, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from moosey_club

We got planning permission for the site and then pulled out do you mean ?  ;)

Yes we got planning permission  - TEN YEARS  later by which time B&Q pulled out of relocating to the site and rebuilt their store where it was. Constant delaying tactics and an inept council were the reasons it failed NOT GTFC.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 14, 2019, 6:54am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Gaffer58

Well Fenty stood for election and got the most votes so not quite sure how he can be faulted?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 14, 2019, 7:17am; Reply: 29
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Well Fenty stood for election and got the most votes so not quite sure how he can be faulted?

He wasn't up for election this time round!
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 14, 2019, 8:22am; Reply: 30
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He wasn't up for election this time round!

Well a Tory clean sweep locally and with the public outrage regarding the Tollbar Roundabout and JF being a fierce critic of the plans he would have been nailed on to get the vote.
Posted by: bluerose13x, May 14, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 31
Scrap the plans for Toll Bar roundabout, create new plans for the stadium to be built there instead , see the fireworks then !
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 14, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from bluerose13x
Scrap the plans for Toll Bar roundabout, create new plans for the stadium to be built there instead , see the fireworks then !

Well it's only two roundabouts away from Peaks Parkway  ;) ;) ;)
Posted by: White_shorts, July 9, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 33
If the Freemo stadium does not happen,  future generations will look back and wonder what on earth the club and council were thinking.

*Within walking distance of a densely populated area;

*Frequent bus service, only a short ride from Freshney Place car park;

*Link to A180 at Riby Square, so away fans can get in and out of town quickly;

*Grimsby Docks station convenient for fans that live along the Barton Line.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 9, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from White_shorts
If the Freemo stadium does not happen,  future generations will look back and wonder what on earth the club and council were thinking.

*Within walking distance of a densely populated area;

*Frequent bus service, only a short ride from Freshney Place car park;

*Link to A180 at Riby Square, so away fans can get in and out of town quickly;

*Grimsby Docks station convenient for fans that live along the Barton Line.

Totally agree. I reckon it's the ideal site. Would regenerate Freeman Street and be a massive boost to the pubs down there, plus there isn't THAT much residential housing around there now really.
Posted by: Marinerz93, July 9, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from pen penfras

Of course it was going to be, did Fenty say otherwise? It doesn't mean that it won't be of any benefit. It's a different party in control and one that thinks highly enough of JF to put him in a high position. The article mentions that the leader sees a community stadium as beneficial to the area.

Still a lot of hurdles to go before anything even starts to happen, but I'm more optimistic with a new council than what's been going on the last 20 years with the previous councils.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/6y7tTds.gif[/img]

Keep going buddy you'll get that spoon one day  ;)
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, July 9, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Gaffer58

Fenty ‘Farage’
Posted by: golfer, July 9, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 37
Why don't we leave him alone for a bit and see what transpires ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 10, 2019, 11:26pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from golfer
Why don't we leave him alone for a bit and see what transpires ?

Past experience tells us what happens.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, July 11, 2019, 7:28am; Reply: 39
I’m not fully up to speed on this ...if we did move to Freemo do we have to buy the land or do the council give us the land ? What funding is in place to build the actual stadium if any ? Why was / is not sure now tbh fenty not keen on freeman street site ?
Posted by: Rik e B, July 12, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 40
Because he can't make a killing being part of the residential development around proposed Peaks Parkway site at Freemo.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 1:46pm