Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 7, 2019, 9:21pm

Latest score......Liverpool 3-0 Barcelona  (3-3 on aggregate)

Bloody hell....they've got a chance of reaching the final.
Posted by: CodHead, May 7, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 1
Will they do it?
Posted by: TAGG, May 7, 2019, 9:29pm; Reply: 2
What a great game.

Got a couple of quid on a Liverpool win after penos 😂👍
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 7, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 3

WOW......4-0 Liverpool
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 7, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 4
Unbeleivable
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 7, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 5
Unbeleivable
Jeff!!

Posted by: Bigdog, May 7, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 6
Such quick thinking from Alexander-Arnold for the fourth goal. Game situation and quality of opponents, goal of the season for me..
Posted by: pizzzza, May 7, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 7
Wow, that has to be 2nd best comeback Anfield has ever seen!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 7, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 8

You have to fancy Liverpool to win it now.

Come on Tottenham tomorrow.....both finals could well involve only English clubs.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 7, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 9
Will never ever back them in anything. The bias towards them from the media infuriates me, idc who they have in the final but i hope they get absolutely hammered
Posted by: acko338, May 7, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 10
What a result !
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 7, 2019, 10:06pm; Reply: 11
Why do I take joy in those pictures of sad spaniards, Im a nice bloke. ??)
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 7, 2019, 10:06pm; Reply: 12
Tommy Smith looking down would be very proud of them. :)
Posted by: hheh2, May 7, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 13
So they can beat Barcelona 4-0 against Messi but they can't be us at Anfield?  ;D
Posted by: Abdul19, May 7, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 14
Fantastic game with a superb winner. Had them to win the tie at 16-1 which softens the blow a bit!
Posted by: carrot top, May 7, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 15
brilliant entertainment - well done Liverpool
Posted by: GrimRob, May 7, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 16
Been a great Champions League this year, some amazing games.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 7, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 17
Glad to hear that the Barca fans gave Liverpool a standing ovation.  Very well-deserved after haivng key players out.  And playing a key game last weekend.

On the other hand, talking of comebacks.  Town gave Liverpool a goal start at Anfield before waiting until the last min of ET to beat them.  :) :)
Posted by: RoboCod, May 7, 2019, 10:44pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Hagrid
Will never ever back them in anything. The bias towards them from the media infuriates me, idc who they have in the final but i hope they get absolutely hammered

Oh be quiet. And DON'T delete this post.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 7, 2019, 10:45pm; Reply: 19
The look on the faces of Messi and Suarez must have been worth the price of a season ticket to all those Liverpool fans.
I was peeing myself.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 7, 2019, 10:47pm; Reply: 20
See Suarez was up to his usual tricks. We should all celebrate this result if only because he is denied a final appearance.
Posted by: supertown, May 7, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 21
Sensational
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 7, 2019, 11:11pm; Reply: 22
Every now and then you see a game of football that really blows you away. Tonight was certainly one of those.

Liverpool did English football proud tonight.  
Posted by: wigworld, May 7, 2019, 11:36pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from RonMariner
See Suarez was up to his usual tricks.

Did he bite someone?  ;D ;D

Posted by: The Boys Paddock, May 8, 2019, 12:05am; Reply: 24
Not interested..GTFC first and always
Posted by: Brazilnut, May 8, 2019, 12:25am; Reply: 25
Quoted from Hagrid

Think you are a bit harsh there ...not sure of your age but I go back to when they dominated and the press then seemed to be bias towards  Man utd , .....so I just think the press will lord great teams but root for the underdog and the team who havent won anything for a long time ........they certainly talked up Leicester the press just loved them that season  
Posted by: LH, May 8, 2019, 1:00am; Reply: 26
The most surprising part of it all was that I found out I work with someone so young that they can’t remember the Istanbul comeback 14 years ago.  ??)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 8, 2019, 1:02am; Reply: 27
Quoted from Hagrid

Quite right too.

I'd celebrate excessively too if I was them
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2019, 8:06am; Reply: 28
Quoted from RoboCod

Oh be quiet. And DON'T delete this post.

My opinion. Or am i not allowed one of them as a mod?
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 8, 2019, 8:28am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid

U ok hun?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 8, 2019, 8:29am; Reply: 30
That was truly beautiful - that is exactly why we all love football - I dont think I have seen a greater comeback in the years that I have been watching football - just amazing
Posted by: Teesknees, May 8, 2019, 8:45am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Hagrid

What's it got to do with riding scooters!
Posted by: RoboCod, May 8, 2019, 8:57am; Reply: 32
Quoted from Hagrid

Problem is you're also allowed to delete them willy nilly, and mine/anyone elses with them. Are you keeping this one?

What exactly do you need to be a mod? Fairness, objectiveness, ability to calm a situation...it's your moderator duties to do these things, not just leave your own bitter rantings about a team you obviously loathe everywhere.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2019, 9:04am; Reply: 33
Quoted from RoboCod

Problem is you're also allowed to delete them willy nilly, and mine/anyone elses with them. Are you keeping this one?

What exactly do you need to be a mod? Fairness, objectiveness, ability to calm a situation...it's your moderator duties to do these things, not just leave your own bitter rantings about a team you obviously loathe everywhere.

Nothing bitter about it. I cant stand the PL in General but liverpool even more so. Dont buy into this support english teams in europe have to get behind them nonsense. Just town for me. We dont agree so move on. Go enjoy your day
Posted by: GrimRob, May 8, 2019, 9:22am; Reply: 34
From my point of view, it benefits English football as a whole. There might be some Swedish players who would look more favourably on coming here, because this is the place to be right now. There might be some little kid in Grimsby who right now has left his Play Station to go on a kick about with his mates that could lead to him eventually becoming a youth team player for us. Nights like last night inspire people. Footballers don't come from nowhere, they have to spend thousands of hours practising with their mates and kicking a ball against the wall. They have to overlook their education and put thoughts of careers on hold to devote to playing the sport. English football is at it's finest point now for ages, we should enjoy it, rather than find fault.
Posted by: immariner, May 8, 2019, 9:58am; Reply: 35
5 of the 14 players that graced the pitch (two were substitutes) for Liverpool are English. They are managed by a German and owned by Americans. At what point do they stop truly representing English football?

I'm happy for all Scouse Liverpool supporters. But I'll be leaving for work soon and I can't be arsed to put up with the inevitable smugness from all the plastic Liverpool fans. 'We' this and 'us' that. Uuuugh intercourse OFF! I think most people at work assume I'm not in to football because I refuse to converse with plastics about the Premier League (which constitutes most football fans). I think that probably makes me a male private but it helps keep me sane!  ;D
Posted by: LH, May 8, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 36
I’m not supporting Town anymore because we’ve got too many foreigns in the team with all the Swedes, Welsh U21s and Irish/San Marinese in the playing squad and Aussies coaching. They’re not English any more - we didn’t vote leave for this!
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, May 8, 2019, 10:28am; Reply: 37
Amazing comeback, one of the best. The United fans in the office this morning have been visibly upset about the result last night, like it's ruined their week or something. You've got to weigh things up and start making some changes when you're getting furious about a result your team is not even involved in.
Posted by: speedy, May 8, 2019, 10:29am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Hagrid

Nothing bitter about it. I cant stand the PL in General but liverpool even more so. Dont buy into this support english teams in europe have to get behind them nonsense. Just town for me. We dont agree so move on. Go enjoy your day

Surprised you haven't just deleted it all yet. It seems to be how you deal with things.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 39
Quoted from speedy

Surprised you haven't just deleted it all yet. It seems to be how you deal with things.

Deleted one post in all my time as a moderator :)! Dear me some of you have got too much time on your hands
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 8, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 40
Quoted from immariner
5 of the 14 players that graced the pitch (two were substitutes) for Liverpool are English. They are managed by a German and owned by Americans. At what point do they stop truly representing English football?

But that is changing.

More and more young players are getting chances at our elite clubs.  The England team is no longer just made up of players from Manchester United reserves and teams fighting it out at the bottom.

From the 4 English sides in the Champions League you can almost make up a World Cup Semi-Finalist national team.  

Spanish and German they may be, but Guardiola and Klopp are helping the English game by developing home-grown talent at those clubs.  In Alexander-Arnold and Gomez, Liverpool have two defenders who will go onto be mainstays of the national side for years to come.  Raheem Sterling's transformation under Guardiola is out of this world.  

We've never had so much talent available at one time.  Within a couple of years Gareth Southgate is quite literally going to be have an embarrassment of riches available to him for selection.  

Compare it to a few years back when there was a desire for Mikael Arteta to be given an England cap based on so many years residency.
Posted by: Rik e B, May 8, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 41
Five is quite a lot compared to how thing have been, I remember an arsenal team with zero English players not so long back.

And yes Guardiola and Klopp helping our game with the introduction of new ideas and tactics and giving youth a chance.

The English game is looking up after it seeming we dead and buried with no quick solution. Now all of a sudden all these talented youths are emerging, much credit must go to St. George's Park and all the work that's gone improving the progression of our kid's.
Posted by: Maringer, May 8, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 42
Let me just say that I watched the brief highlights available online this morning and drunk myself laughing at the winner.

Great to see such quick thinking from Alexander-Arnold but that was comical defending of the sort you wouldn't expect to see even in Sunday morning football.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 8, 2019, 12:39pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from GrimRob
From my point of view, it benefits English football as a whole. There might be some Swedish players who would look more favourably on coming here, because this is the place to be right now. .

You mean because Liverpool stuffed Barcelona there is a ferry load of Swedes on route to BP via Immingham all desperate to play for Town in Div 4 of the EFL and live on East Marsh? (I just hope they are better than Ring)
Posted by: rancido, May 8, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Ipswin

You mean because Liverpool stuffed Barcelona there is a ferry load of Swedes on route to BP via Immingham all desperate to play for Town in Div 4 of the EFL and live on East Marsh? (I just hope they are better than Ring)

Since when did " some " translate into a " ferry load " ? You really can be a drama queen at times ! ;)
Posted by: RonMariner, May 8, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Rik e B
Five is quite a lot compared to how thing have been, I remember an arsenal team with zero English players not so long back.

It happened last weekend I think.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 8, 2019, 2:02pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from rancido

Since when did " some " translate into a " ferry load " ? You really can be a drama queen at times ! ;)

Make it as many or as few as you like son, frankly I'd be amazed if Liverpool beating Barcelona actually led to any ('some') players (Swedish or otherwise) hot footing it to Grimsby Town

Posted by: Gaffer58, May 8, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 47
I think we would all love every premier team full  off English/ British players and may happen eventually, but by having all these foreign players and coaches I believe it has helped the England national team play football instead of the hoof ball we've played for so long, obviously well done to Gareth Southgate for having the guts/balls to implement the modern style.
Posted by: pontoonlew, May 8, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from immariner

I'm happy for all Scouse Liverpool supporters. But I'll be leaving for work soon and I can't be arsed to put up with the inevitable smugness from all the plastic Liverpool fans. 'We' this and 'us' that. Uuuugh intercourse OFF! I think most people at work assume I'm not in to football because I refuse to converse with plastics about the Premier League (which constitutes most football fans). I think that probably makes me a male private but it helps keep me sane!  ;D

The English game hasn’t been this strong in years and young English players are directly benefitting. There’s a chance Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs could make up all 4 teams in the finals of European competition, all of whom have talented young English players playing for them. I’ve not seen it this strong in my lifetime.
Posted by: TAGG, May 8, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 49
Football can be the best thing in the world at times.
What a game 👍
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 8, 2019, 3:50pm; Reply: 50
Overturning a 3-0 deficit, without your best players, against Messi and co.

Tonight should be a piece of cake for Spurs
Posted by: GrimRob, May 8, 2019, 4:11pm; Reply: 51
I wish they'd rename the competition. Whoever wins the Champions League will not be a Champion, as Liverpool, Spurs and Ajax all failed to win their own leagues last season.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 8, 2019, 4:26pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from GrimRob
I wish they'd rename the competition. Whoever wins the Champions League will not be a Champion, as Liverpool, Spurs and Ajax all failed to win their own leagues last season.

And in the cases of Liverpool and Spurs they have not been league champions for many, many years...

[url=https://imgflip.com/i/30gdr7][img]https://i.imgflip.com/30gdr7.jpg[/img][/url]
Posted by: rancido, May 8, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from GrimRob

That's absolutely spot on. The only teams that should qualify should be the champions of the member country's top league. But EUFA want to squeeze as much revenue as they can from this competition.
Posted by: Abdul19, May 8, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 54
It's had the wrong name for nearly a quarter of a century. It's probably not going to change now.
Posted by: Gtfc8279, May 8, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Hagrid

Well said. Totally agree. Hate the illegitimates.
You can see by how many red crosses you got that GY is full of plastic scousers
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from Gtfc8279

Well said. Totally agree. Hate the illegitimates.
You can see by how many red crosses you got that GY is full of plastic scousers

Not at all, I only support Town and England but I want the English clubs do well in Europe rather than the foreigners.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 57

Latest......Ajax 1-0 Spurs....looks like a Liverpool v Ajax final then.
Posted by: CodHead, May 8, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Hagrid

Have you seen how biased the media is to Man City
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, thought i might just make
that point.  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 59

2-0 Ajax....I'm getting visions of Hagrid sat in front of the telly watching the final with his Ajax kit on, Ajax scarf and football rattle  8)
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 60

2-2 surely not
Posted by: Abdul19, May 8, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 61
Wow, game on.

Great footwork by Lucas. Don't know how the keeper didn't gather it beforehand mind you.
Posted by: Hagrid, May 8, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from promotion plaice

2-0 Ajax....I'm getting visions of Hagrid sat in front of the telly watching the final with his Ajax kit on, Ajax scarf and football rattle  8)

You need to get out more.... however i am now regretting my decision to buy an Ajax top at half time
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 63

OMG....Tottenham score
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Hagrid

You need to get out more.... however i am now regretting my decision to buy an Ajax top at half time

You need to buy a Tottenham shirt now   :)

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 8, 2019, 10:05pm; Reply: 65
Who'd have guessed the climax of the Liverpool game would end up looking a bit dull?!
Posted by: Abdul19, May 8, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 66
Wow! Spurs the king of the away goals rule
Posted by: Ipswin, May 8, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from promotion plaice

OMG....Tottenham score

sodomist

Posted by: GrimRob, May 8, 2019, 10:10pm; Reply: 68
That was even better. Proud to be English.
Posted by: Grantley, May 8, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 69
That final 45 minutes was one of the best I’ve ever seen.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 8, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from GrimRob
That was even better. Proud to be English.

Same here....I can't lose in the final now because an English club is guaranteed to win it.....can't see it but I'd probably prefer Spurs to win it because they haven't won it.

Posted by: TAGG, May 8, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from TAGG
Football can be the best thing in the world at times.
What a game 👍

Will say it again.
Only football can do this for people ⚽⚽⚽⚽
Posted by: bradzmilne, May 8, 2019, 10:31pm; Reply: 72
With tomorrow’s Europa league semifinals too.

Does this have the opportunity to be the best week in domestic English Football ever ?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, May 8, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 73
if Arsenal win the europa league, could that mean we get 5 teams in the champs league next year....or would it mean Liverpool winning the Champs League with an Arsenal win would mean Tottenham are stuck in the Europa League?

If that makes any sense....

Found my answer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47806720

If Arsenal win a Europa League Final then England will have 5 teams in the Champions League (although there is a very slim chance of Arsenal finishing in the top 4, then we wouldn't......unless Tottenham won the Champs League whilst finishing outside the top 4....agggggghhhhh
Posted by: pizzzza, May 8, 2019, 10:55pm; Reply: 74
Spurs took Ajax to the cleaners tonight.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, May 8, 2019, 11:22pm; Reply: 75
Just incredible football, drama and excitement. Night after night.    Does it matter if non-champions are in the CL? If they are good enough to beat champions then they should progress.

English teams have traditionally shown fighting qualities (as have the fans).  We are good with our backs to the wall.  We are better at this now as English players now have the technical abilities as well to match foreign players.

Back to Spurs.  Who thought they would get near to a final after losing their first 3 group games?  Then drawing Man City in the quarter-finals.

It was reported that Ajax had not won a CL match at home since 1996.  Maybe that helped Spurs tonight.  Ajax have always been outstanding away in the CL.  They have been a credit to football.  I feel for them.
Posted by: pizzzza, May 9, 2019, 6:22am; Reply: 76
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Back to Spurs.  Who thought they would get near to a final after losing their first 3 group games?

Not me! (because they did not lose their first 3 group games).
Posted by: wuffing, May 9, 2019, 7:20am; Reply: 77
Well, what a magnificent two of days of football.

As a Town, and in general, football fan, I really enjoyed the raw emotion that the two semi's produced. They both literally reduced me to tears, I think mainly because it revoked the play-off final and the Anfield wins in me. Our Liverpool win released that much adrenaline in me that I couldn't sleep for three days, despite working full-time with two small rug rats at home. That's the power and spirit of football. New fans are born in such circumstances.

My boy is now 18 and experienced the play off final with me. Before that game he was glued to the x-box, whereas now, he bugs me to take him to EVERY Town game; he is addicted to Town, win, lose or draw.
LETS GET THAT F****ING NEW STADIUM BUILT and re-build our own strong fan base. It is there, it just needs enticing.
Fin.
Posted by: GrimRob, May 9, 2019, 7:22am; Reply: 78
Or who would have thought after that Man City disallowed goal when they came back from the dead.
Posted by: gtfckyle, May 9, 2019, 8:50am; Reply: 79
Anyone know why the Champs League final is 3 weeks away? Neither team will have a game for 3 weeks after Sunday.. Crazy!
Posted by: gtfckyle, May 9, 2019, 8:53am; Reply: 80
Quoted from gtfckyle
Anyone know why the Champs League final is 3 weeks away? Neither team will have a game for 3 weeks after Sunday.. Crazy!

Even crazier now I've realised that the UEFA nations league matches start on the 5th with England playing on the 6th, 5 days after the UEFA CL final.. Bizarre!
Posted by: psgmariner, May 9, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 81
I rang uefa and got them to play it on the same day as the mariners trust beer festival.
Posted by: supertown, May 9, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from gtfckyle

Well it’s 2 weeks after the FA cup final which is not unreasonable. They didn’t know who was going to be in it when they scheduled it . Don’t know when all the rest of Europe finish their seasons
Posted by: Gtfc8279, May 9, 2019, 5:49pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from CodHead

Have you seen how biased the media is to Man City
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, thought i might just make
that point.  

talksport and radio 5 both this week been taking calls form fans who say the media has been biasaed towards Liverpool
and I completley agree, its been a liverpool love-in in the Main stream media all fecking year
Posted by: topuphere666, May 9, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Grantley
That final 45 minutes was one of the best I’ve ever seen.

So the second half then 😂
Posted by: psgmariner, May 9, 2019, 7:21pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from psgmariner
I rang uefa and got them to play it on the same day as the mariners trust beer festival.

Trust have confirmed they will be showing the game at the beer festival.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 9, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 86

So far it's looking good for both finals being all English clubs

HT  Chelsea 1-0 Frankfurt

HT  Valencia 1-1 Arsenal
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 9, 2019, 11:46pm; Reply: 87

Both finals all clubs from the same country (England  :))....first time it has happened....and I very much doubt it will ever happen again

Get in
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, May 10, 2019, 8:20am; Reply: 88
As already mentioned by others, English football is riding high on a crest of a wave right now, starting back in June with that amazing WC run, then we had the Nations League thing, we have a semi in that to look forward to, the Prem + Champ have both been as exciting as I can remember them and then this week has just been amazing!!

Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 10, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 89
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
As already mentioned by others, English football is riding high on a crest of a wave right now, starting back in June with that amazing WC run, then we had the Nations League thing, we have a semi in that to look forward to, the Prem + Champ have both been as exciting as I can remember them and then this week has just been amazing!!

Meanwhile GTFC have put the season tickets on sale to a fanfare of trumpets creating a media frenzy OR NOT
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 10, 2019, 9:16am; Reply: 90
The sad thing is that 20 years ago I would have been buzzing at the thought of both finals being all English affairs.
But Premiershite has knocked most of that out of me.  No connection at all with the lower league clubs apart from hoovering up any kid with half an ounce of talent.  It's nice to see it happening and I'll probably watch both finals.
But that's about it really. If pushed I would have to say I would like to see Spuds and Gooners being victorious.  
UTM
Posted by: pizzzza, May 10, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 91
I am actually on holiday in Spain the week of the final so might head over to Madrid and catch the game. Anyone know if it is pay on the gate or all ticket?
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 11:16am