Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 6, 2019, 11:00pm
Apparently we are going back in for lee Angol again according to an ex agent on twitter
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 6, 2019, 11:13pm; Reply: 1
Oh. Ok.
Posted by: LH, May 6, 2019, 11:23pm; Reply: 2
Oh how I love the close season when those Twitter accounts that lay dormant from the January window reappear.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, May 6, 2019, 11:56pm; Reply: 3
I guess Bogle will be next!
Posted by: fiveallive, May 7, 2019, 1:52am; Reply: 4
I wouden't have Lee Angol has he's chosen not to sign for 2 or 3 times in the past so would rather choose players who want to play for us.

I think Angol would be a player who would put zero effort in.
Posted by: golfer, May 7, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 5
Lincoln have been after Macca again. This time they have said that if he signs for them they will build us a new 25K stadium down Freemo.free of charge.   Naturally their offer was refused.
Posted by: Teds Lad, May 7, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 6
Don't get much of a Stadium for 25K these days. ;) ;D
Posted by: fishboyUTM, May 7, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 7
I wouldn't want that Angol anyway based on he's a shite journeyman. He's rejected us anyway and the last thing you want is someone who thinks he's doing you a favour by signing for you.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 7, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 8
Dennis and Angol, no thanks, in fact no more journeymen please. A youngster who scores goal in the Conference, after all we're only a few league places away from that anyway.
Posted by: Nutsy, May 7, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 9
The rumour bots on twitter also linked Grant Holt with Lincoln! They're 12 year old kids who google obscure or out of contract players and pull clubs out of a hat!
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 7, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I wouldn't want that Angol anyway based on he's a shite journeyman. He's rejected us anyway and the last thing you want is someone who thinks he's doing you a favour by signing for you.

To be fair to Angol, he rejected us and soon took up with a League One side (who no doubt will have paid better wages).  Not sure we can hang him out to dry based on that.  I'm pretty sure Clive Mendonca rejected us on a few occasions before Alan Buckley managed to grab him.

The only time I remember seeing Angol play was when he scored twice against us for Mansfield and he absolutely run the Town defence ragged.  Maybe a consistency issue with him but, somewhat similar to Dennis, his record is very decent prior to the last season.
Posted by: Mikoo, May 7, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin
Dennis and Angol, no thanks, in fact no more journeymen please. A youngster who scores goal in the Conference, after all we're only a few league places away from that anyway.

Hooper fits that bill, yet you constantly slated him for 2 years?
Posted by: Mikoo, May 7, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Nutsy
The rumour bots on twitter also linked Grant Holt with Lincoln! They're 12 year old kids who google obscure or out of contract players and pull clubs out of a hat!

Grant Holt's last club was Barrow, 2 leagues below where Lincoln will be next season...
Posted by: devs, May 7, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 13
This is the type I hope we are looking at..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48190450
Posted by: Ipswin, May 7, 2019, 3:52pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mikoo

Hooper fits that bill, yet you constantly slated him for 2 years?

Absolutely not in fact I was wanting Jolley to retain him only a few days ago and got slagged off for it. Anyway he's not exactly what I had in mind when I said 'young'

Posted by: Ipswin, May 7, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from devs

Well if we were (past tense) which I doubt, it's too bloody late now!

Posted by: devs, May 7, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 16
True... but my obvious point (surely) is I know he's gone but there are hopefully more like him out there we are looking at
Posted by: monkeyboy, May 7, 2019, 4:03pm; Reply: 17
I think Dennis will be joining us and given service he will score plenty. all about the service.
Play maker and some wider players that can bang crosses in and we wont be far off.
Posted by: Nutsy, May 7, 2019, 4:03pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Mikoo

Grant Holt's last club was Barrow, 2 leagues below where Lincoln will be next season...

Hes also retired and now a wrestler
Posted by: Ipswin, May 7, 2019, 4:23pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from devs
True... but my obvious point (surely) is I know he's gone but there are hopefully more like him out there we are looking at

And we'll probably end up with Dean Bowditch

Posted by: golfer, May 7, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Ipswin

And we'll probably end up with Dean Bowditch

He's that old he used to be in my class at school
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 7, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 21
Look up Blair Henderson from Edinburgh City 24 years old 6ft 4ins . Goal scoring machine . 37 league and cup goals in 44 games.
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 7, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 22
Look up Blair Henderson from Edinburgh City 24 years old 6ft 4ins . Goal scoring machine . 37 league and cup goals in 44 games.
Posted by: CodHead, May 7, 2019, 6:53pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chipsandgravy
I guess Bogle will be next!

Haven’t heard we’re linked with Messi
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 7, 2019, 7:20pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from CodHead

Haven’t heard we’re linked with Messi

Except it's spelt M.E.S.S.Y. as in Mr from the Mr Men.
Posted by: CodHead, May 7, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Except it's spelt M.E.S.S.Y. as in Mr from the Mr Men.

Probably our board always goes for the cheapest possible option
Posted by: chaos33, May 7, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from barrattstandman

It’s an impressive return but Edinburgh city play in Scot division 2. If the Scottish Prem is broadly equivalent in standards to L2/conference (possibly minus Celtic and Rangers) then their league 2 is what, Unibond prem or some such?
Posted by: moosey_club, May 7, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Nutsy

he's wrestling now isnt he !!??  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, May 7, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from barrattstandman

They have two players, with the same name and exactly the same record...maybe we better sign both  ;)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 7, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33

It’s an impressive return but Edinburgh city play in Scot division 2. If the Scottish Prem is broadly equivalent in standards to L2/conference (possibly minus Celtic and Rangers) then their league 2 is what, Unibond prem or some such?

Andy Robertson was plucked from Queens Park in the Scottish Third Division in 2013 so talent can be found down there.
Posted by: Kris2, May 7, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33

It's basically like Sunday League level. Kinda easy to be a goal machine when you're up against the likes of the mighty Stirling Albion.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 7, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from chaos33

So what level does that make the Swedish leagues that people think we're gonna sign players from (and the ones we have)?

Give me a player from a sh1t level with desire and a great goal return over a player with a goodishreturn just after a pay check
Posted by: forza ivano, May 7, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 32
Osman Kakay from QPR is the latest name dreamt up by the worst source on Twitter.im sure he just puts a load of names into a hat and then just pulls one out to match with any old club
Posted by: chaos33, May 7, 2019, 10:36pm; Reply: 33
Well, the Swedish Allsvenskan is of a palpably higher standard than all of the leagues in Scotland with the possible exception of Celtic and Rangers, where it might well be broadly equivalent. The team finishing top make the Champs league and the second and third placed teams the Europa league.

That said, it's a good point about Andy Robertson and no reason why there might not be a gem or two hidden away, but stats need a context. Generally speaking, I'd say we are looking for players who can cut it in the Scottish Prem at the very least, and probably better than that.
Posted by: blundellpork, May 7, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from moosey_club

They have two players, with the same name and exactly the same record...maybe we better sign both  ;)

Memories of Serge Makofo’s mistaken signing come flooding back
Posted by: Grimal, May 7, 2019, 11:26pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from devs

Stockport to Northampton, Matty knows which side his breads buttered. ;)

Posted by: promotion plaice, May 7, 2019, 11:35pm; Reply: 36

Some Peterborough fans seem surprised Matt Stevens (Striker 21) has been released...just saying

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathew_Stevens
Posted by: Madeleymariner, May 7, 2019, 11:47pm; Reply: 37
One of the rumours I heard was a player called Mac something, from Fleetwood
Posted by: OllieGTFC, May 7, 2019, 11:52pm; Reply: 38
Omar  eddahri being linked again
Posted by: Poojah, May 8, 2019, 12:07am; Reply: 39
Quoted from OllieGTFC

FFS, this article more or less highlights why this is a story derived by sad internet muppets making up stories on the off chance it happens and they can claim to be ‘ITK’:

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/inside-story-jolleys-time-sweden-1356123

As per every pre-season that has gone before, most normal fans won’t have heard of 90% of those who we eventually sign. That’s not necessarily a bad thing either - who wants to admit to knowing who the fúck Podge Amond was four years ago?
Posted by: Rik e B, May 8, 2019, 11:46am; Reply: 40
Often I think, if you've got a knack for scoring you've got a knack for scoring. See Jamie vardy I guess. Just need to up fitness levels and a few attributes although I admit some strikers 'find their level' and seem to bottom out when attempt going higher.

But if you are an out an out goal machine with a knack of knowing where the goal is and being in the right place I think that can take you a fair way.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 8, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Rik e B
Often I think, if you've got a knack for scoring you've got a knack for scoring. See Jamie vardy I guess. Just need to up fitness levels and a few attributes although I admit some strikers 'find their level' and seem to bottom out when attempt going higher.

But if you are an out an out goal machine with a knack of knowing where the goal is and being in the right place I think that can take you a fair way.

Spot on assessment year`s ago we had a player called Gary Lund who was prolific all through his school year`s .When he got a contract with Town and went pro the goals never really flowed for him the same but you could see he was a natural finisher . Lundy never did much outside the box but came alive inside it .Chris Hargreaves was another at schoolboy level but he adapted his game and played mostly has a midfielder once he left Town.
Posted by: WesternMariner, May 9, 2019, 9:06am; Reply: 42
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Spot on assessment year`s ago we had a player called Gary Lund who was prolific all through his school year`s .When he got a contract with Town and went pro the goals never really flowed for him the same but you could see he was a natural finisher . Lundy never did much outside the box but came alive inside it .Chris Hargreaves was another at schoolboy level but he adapted his game and played mostly has a midfielder once he left Town.

Lundy scored 24 goals in 60 appearances - we’d settle for that return off someone next season.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, May 9, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 43
Quoted from WesternMariner

Lundy scored 24 goals in 60 appearances - we’d settle for that return off someone next season.

Yep and maintained a 1 in 3 games goal ratio throughout his career.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 9, 2019, 5:02pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from OllieGTFC

What about Omar Izmakin Izatme?
Posted by: moss_side_mariner, May 9, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 45

That made me chuckle. I bet some younger posters are googling his scoring record. 😄
Posted by: tarka, May 9, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 46

Brilliant!!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 9, 2019, 7:14pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Just to make you feel your age Micky, Gary is now 54 and a partner in an Estate Agency in Nottingham. ;)

Things were different then. Some juniors were on 1st or 2nd year pro contracts and some were amateurs. Gary was in the 6th form doing A Levels, Wilkie was a Y2 pro. The difference was quite strong. I don't think Gary ever got to develop that yard of pace that a striker needed at Div 2 level and I believe he dropped into midfield later on.

Three players I forgot about on the Neil Woods thread were John McDermott, Gary Henshaw and Paul Agnew who were not local but came through the juniors ranks in the same side as Lund and Wilkinson. They were testament to the need for a good scouting network at junior level. Cost us nothing.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 9, 2019, 10:57pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from tarka

Brilliant!!

I'm just grateful someone got it.  :B
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 16, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 49
No rumours here, but FGR announced their retained list.

Lee Collins & Tahvon Campbell both released which hasn't please the 57 fans they have.
Also Reuben Ried transfer listed, I remember him playing very well when they destroyed us first game of last season
Posted by: Maringer, May 16, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 50
Problem with this is that these FGR players will have been getting paid lots and lots more than we can afford. I'd imagine that Vince's ego is going to lead him to spend even more on players next season.

Reid is a Bristolian and has spent most of his career in the south west. Don't expect that to change in the future.
Print page generated: April 16, 2024, 10:17pm