Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), May 5, 2019, 9:40am
According to John Tondeur.

And more to leave throughout the day, it seems.
Posted by: lee65, May 5, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 1
Certainly not hanging about if this is the case!, still, I guess that’s best for all parties to clarify where they stand.
Posted by: denni266, May 5, 2019, 9:53am; Reply: 2
Cannot leave players hanging about. not fair on them. They have a living to earn like most of us.. Lets clear the decks and look for better for the coming season .Wish them all well , as they was all one of us  :)
Posted by: Maringer, May 5, 2019, 9:59am; Reply: 3
I'd imagine he'll have another couple of years at non-league level in him. Seems to have looked after himself physically, but just too slow for league football any longer. Good luck to him.
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 5, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 4
He's from North Wales/Cheshire area so any club around there would snap him up I'm sure.  I don't know if he'd still have enough pace for this league (maybe Morecambe or Macclesfield could use him) but he'd certainly be a great player for someone like Wrexham or one of the North West conference teams.

Just looking at his stats and after Sunderland we're the club he's played the most games for so have been quite a big part of his career.  On the whole he's been a good player for us and we wish him well.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, May 5, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 5
He's done a good job for us since we've been back in the league, best wishes to him!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, May 5, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 6
Helped us out big time when first signed, but just not got the legs anymore, can see why he played at a high level most of his career, good pro
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 5, 2019, 10:20am; Reply: 7
Considering retirement I understand and has done the last few years.

Definitely the right time to leave us but was a good servant, absolutely immense in those first 18 months here.
Posted by: jimgtfc, May 5, 2019, 10:23am; Reply: 8
He was fantastic in his first two seasons for us, added some much needed football league experience and leadership to the back line. Probably stayed 12 months too long but can’t blame him for signing that contract at his age. Thanks DC, and good luck in the future.
Posted by: Meza, May 5, 2019, 10:25am; Reply: 9
I think personally MJ will let go, Thomas, Woolford, Hooper

and keep Whitmore, Davis and RHJ
Posted by: Misterton Mariner, May 5, 2019, 10:29am; Reply: 10
A model professional. Good luck !
Posted by: Mariner93er, May 5, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 11
Had the opportunity to coach in the US before signing with us for the extra year, maybe something he may now look to do. A good player who age has caught up with. Good luck to him for the future.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 5, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 12
Great servant for thw club but this was just one season too far now he's not quick enough to keep up
Posted by: sydney, May 5, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 13
Thanks Danny
Good Luck
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 5, 2019, 11:06am; Reply: 14
Best of luck Danny what ever you decide to do.
Posted by: rancido, May 5, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 15
Quoted from jimgtfc
He was fantastic in his first two seasons for us, added some much needed football league experience and leadership to the back line. Probably stayed 12 months too long but can’t blame him for signing that contract at his age. Thanks DC, and good luck in the future.

FWIW I think MJ would probably have liked to have let him go last summer but possibly didn't want to start the season without some experienced continuity in the centre of defence. Good luck to him in the future and thanks for all your efforts for the club.
Posted by: Poojah, May 5, 2019, 12:18pm; Reply: 16
I seem to recall last year he was considering playing in Cyprus where he has a property - a pleasant enough way to bow out.

As others have said, the right decision at this time but a good pro who served us well. I’d imagine it will have freed up a decent chunk of change on the wage bill.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 5, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 17
I like and respect the guy. Legs are going after a good career but had we had a few more on the books with his attitude back in the Newell/Woods era we'd never have dropped out of the League.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 5, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 18
Good player, great pro and added real value in his time at GTFC.

Whatever he ends up doing he’ll be a success as clearly he knows the value of hard work.

Now get Whitmore, Davis and RHJ tied in. Add a left back and with who’s already contracted the defender is done IMHO.

I’d expect Woolford and Hooper to be released I wouldn’t be surprised though if he tries to get Greyson back on a season long and after County going down try and get Dennis permanently.
Posted by: Yoda, May 5, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 19
Great player all the best to him, served us well.
A fans favourite.
Posted by: devs, May 5, 2019, 1:06pm; Reply: 20
Excellent pro
Did a great job for us - especially in the early part of his time with us
Good luck DC
Posted by: Garth, May 5, 2019, 1:08pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Meza
I think personally MJ will let go, Thomas, Woolford, Hooper

and keep Whitmore, Davis and RHJ

Thomas and Hooper gone, Woolford will get another season, otherwise why play him yesterday
Posted by: hheh2, May 5, 2019, 1:09pm; Reply: 22
Great professional will surely move onto something else in non league
Posted by: Meza, May 5, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Garth

Thomas and Hooper gone, Woolford will get another season, otherwise why play him yesterday

yeah Woolford I was on the fence, he does add needed experience and can play many positions but there are better out there for me.
Posted by: Davec, May 5, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Garth

Woolford came off the bench yesterday as did Collins, the latter has been released today, so just because somebody came off the bench means nothing.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 5, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 25
Jolley getting straight to work on the cull, not even giving them a few days to celebrate our lower mid table finish.

Good luck to him. I'm sure there's a player / assistant manager position waiting for him somewhere
Posted by: Kris2, May 5, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 26
Was considering coaching and i imagine he could do a good job of that as he looks to retiring from being an active player. I can certainly see him having offers on the table if that's where he's headed next.

I think he was the right player at the right time when he joined us, added experience and class at the back which settled things down. He helped other players around him with his calm play and communication. I definitely think Pearson looked a much better player after playing alongside DC for a couple of months. Can see how he lasted so long at a high level, has a good mindset as a pro and takes his fitness seriously. I hope in his time with us some of our young lads were able to use him as a role model for their own careers. That's the kind of approach to their game and career they want to aim for.

Thanks for everything DC and good luck in the future.
Posted by: toontown, May 5, 2019, 3:34pm; Reply: 27
As everyone has said great signing for us first 18 month, the legs have gone now but absolutely model pro exemplified by playing that game with a broken arm against lincoln. Thanks danny and best of luck with whatever you do. He might even eek out another season playing if he drops to nonleague.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, May 5, 2019, 7:10pm; Reply: 28
Thanks Captain, all the best for the future.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, May 5, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 29
Good player and nice bloke. Hopefully he’ll play in conference or similar.
Posted by: chaos33, May 5, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 30
Thanks very much and good luck to Danny Collins and the other released players.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 5, 2019, 8:42pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from rancido

FWIW I think MJ would probably have liked to have let him go last summer but possibly didn't want to start the season without some experienced continuity in the centre of defence. Good luck to him in the future and thanks for all your efforts for the club.

I think theres quite a lot of truth in that Rancido, which includes using Woolford and Welsh as a sort of comfort blanket too as MJ was cutting his teeth in his first full season as a manager. If he's learned anything in the past year, it's that he's got to trust his instructions on the training ground with the younger players more and also pace and physicality will be more of an asset in this league rather than experience..
Posted by: chaos33, May 5, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 32
I think that last point is absolutely bob-on.
Posted by: Bigdog, May 5, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
Good player and nice bloke. Hopefully he’ll play in conference or similar.

Agree, been an asset to the club. Can't see him getting a contract in the Conference as he will still be too slow for that level, and when your legs go, they just go for any decent level of non-league. Fully expect him to retire, walk into a coaching job somewhere and maybe a bit of footy on the side at Northern Prem level or similar..
Posted by: arryarryarry, May 5, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Bigdog

Agree, been an asset to the club. Can't see him getting a contract in the Conference as he will still be too slow for that level, and when your legs go, they just go for any decent level of non-league. Fully expect him to retire, walk into a coaching job somewhere and maybe a bit of footy on the side at Northern Prem level or similar..

He would give fatty McNulty a run for his money who turned out for Tranmere yesterday. ;)
Posted by: TAGG, May 6, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 35
Good luck to the bloke
Gave his all every time he pulled on the shirt UTM
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 6, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 36
I thought Hurst did a good bit of business when he brought DC in to the fold after we came up

Obviously in the three seasons that he's been here, he's provided us with a wealth of experience but this past season has shown that anyone with a bit of pace can now leave him for dead

So MJ has done right to release him but he can leave us with his head held high

I had a feeling that we might have even considered a coaching role to bring through what is still a relatively inexperienced defence that we have, but not to be

Hope it all works out well going forward.... he deserves all the plaudits from everyone here who have seen him give his all for Town
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:51pm