Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), April 29, 2019, 11:47am
Is he contracted with us next season? - He has the third best Goals per Min stats in Conference, he's already one of the top scorers even though he has only been there since December... I know he has been pretty crap on the whole for us, but if we still have him under contract, I'll be quite interested to see him play again... Top conference players are exactly the sort of value for money investment we should be making, and if I didn't know hooper already i would be quite excited if we signed a player with his stats from the league below... His attitude was poor with us tbh, but he did look at times to have something about him - which is more than can be said for the likes of cardwell... With a season of consistent performance and a lot of confidence under his belt he could just be worth a go next season - still young (ish) too.

I have a feeling his contract was 2 years - Opinions?
Posted by: Mariner8, April 29, 2019, 11:49am; Reply: 1
If we've already got him, or can keep him for peanuts then yes.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 2
Rather him than Rose for me
Posted by: oochiad, April 29, 2019, 12:16pm; Reply: 3
I liked him.
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 29, 2019, 12:21pm; Reply: 4
His contract is up this summer, so will need renewing if he is to stay so effectively he isn’t our player anymore and is free to talk to other clubs. Can’t see him wanting to commit here due to being in and out the team and then sent out on loan, and his form for Bromley might generate some interest in him from other league clubs anyway.
Posted by: toontown, April 29, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 5
Its a no from me
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), April 29, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 6
Given the "banter" he received when he was here, I can't see for the life of me why he'd ever want to come back.
Posted by: Croxton, April 29, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 7
No thanks. Leopards and spots etc.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 29, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 8
No no no.
Posted by: golfer, April 29, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 9
I think he is like everybody else-can't fathom out what Jolly's system is.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 29, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from golfer
I think he is like everybody else-can't fathom out what Jolly's system is.

He didn't do much with Slade's system.
Posted by: Rik e B, April 29, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 11
Some players just fit, some don't. I'm sure he'd continue to look like a headless chicken with us but bang them in for fun elsewhere.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 29, 2019, 4:44pm; Reply: 12
Found his level let him go look for better.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 29, 2019, 4:45pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Rik e B
I'm sure he'd continue to look like a headless chicken with us.

In that case he'd fit in with our current shambles just perfectly, probably win POTY and unlike the current 'strike force' (I use the term loosely) he might even score a few

Posted by: RonMariner, April 29, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 14
Cant see him wanting to come back. Cant see Jolley wanting him.

He had a couple of good games for us, playing wide left, but most of the time was disappointing.  
Posted by: Kris2, May 1, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 15
Oh here we go again...He's not good enough for league football. Name a single league team he's delivered his potential at. Was a regular at Port Vale and didn't deliver the goods so they released him, was a regular for Slade and didn't deliver the goods, Jolley tried him out and he didn't deliver so was sent on loan down the leagues.

We've invested enough time and money into a player who just isn't good enough. We need players who have more than 1-2 good games in 46.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 1, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Kris2
Oh here we go again...He's not good enough for league football. Name a single league team he's delivered his potential at. Was a regular at Port Vale and didn't deliver the goods so they released him, was a regular for Slade and didn't deliver the goods, Jolley tried him out and he didn't deliver so was sent on loan down the leagues.

We've invested enough time and money into a player who just isn't good enough. We need players who have more than 1-2 good games in 46.

I’m not happy at all with this post. It doesn’t matter how hard I try, I can not find a single reason to Red Cross it. I’ve had to give it a ✅. I’m getting fuking soft 😕
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 17
If we had a choice in the matter, I'd say no for the reasosn Kris said.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 2, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 18

According to today's Telegraph Hooper is set to be available for Saturdays game after completing his loan move at Bromley.
Posted by: wiggers, May 2, 2019, 8:25am; Reply: 19
He was decent wide in a 3 at the end of last season during the great escape.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 2, 2019, 9:07am; Reply: 20
I'll be disappointed if he does get a game to be honest.

He's had his chance here and whilst I don't wish any ill on the lad but it's now time for someone else to get their opportunity.  According to Google, Hooper has played 46 games for us which is more than enough time to make a lasting impression.  He's had countless opportunities with us and other than a few stand-out performances has generally produced nothing.

Good luck to the lad, I'm sure he'll have plenty of suitors on the back of his goals with Bromley.  But it's time for someone like Max Wright to get a chance.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 2, 2019, 10:15am; Reply: 21
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'll be disappointed if he does get a game to be honest.

He's had his chance here and whilst I don't wish any ill on the lad but it's now time for someone else to get their opportunity.  According to Google, Hooper has played 46 games for us which is more than enough time to make a lasting impression.  He's had countless opportunities with us and other than a few stand-out performances has generally produced nothing.

Good luck to the lad, I'm sure he'll have plenty of suitors on the back of his goals with Bromley.  But it's time for someone like Max Wright to get a chance.

Nail hit firmly on the head..
Posted by: RichMariner, May 2, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 22
Devil's advocate time...

Hooper has scored 9 goals in 32 starts during his time at Town. If he's a central striker then we haven't played him there, so you could argue that goal return is ok.

By comparison, Wes Thomas scored 12 in 37 starts, and he was the out-and-out central striker who was one of the first names on the team sheet each week.

Goalscorers are hard to find, and if we already have one on the books who's banging them in regularly in the league below (which really isn't far behind the standard of League 2 - just look at what Tranmere and Lincoln have done since coming up) then it seems a bit odd not to reconsider Hooper's contract.
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), May 2, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 23
Think with Ohman and Cook still out, and Rose just added to the injury list we may very well see him get a game.
Posted by: golfer, May 2, 2019, 5:28pm; Reply: 24
He is the best striker on the books
Posted by: Maringer, May 2, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from RichMariner
Devil's advocate time...

Hooper has scored 9 goals in 32 starts during his time at Town. If he's a central striker then we haven't played him there, so you could argue that goal return is ok.

Problem with your Devil's Advocacy is that Hooper looked utterly clueless when played through the middle. He did better out on the left but still not brilliantly and that hat-trick in a dead rubber of a game rather skews the figures.

I had hopes for him this year after he finished last season so well but, for whatever reason, he just never performed this time around and looked less of a player. Probably not helped with the abortive and often hopeless attempts by the manager to play 3-5-2 early in the season, but even so you would want to have seen more from him this season.

I'd imagine he'll get himself a job at a club in the Conference down south somewhere where he'll probably score a good few goals.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 2, 2019, 5:49pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Maringer

Problem with your Devil's Advocacy is that Hooper looked utterly clueless when played through the middle. He did better out on the left but still not brilliantly and that hat-trick in a dead rubber of a game rather skews the figures.

I had hopes for him this year after he finished last season so well but, for whatever reason, he just never performed this time around and looked less of a player. Probably not helped with the abortive and often hopeless attempts by the manager to play 3-5-2 early in the season, but even so you would want to have seen more from him this season.

I'd imagine he'll get himself a job at a club in the Conference down south somewhere where he'll probably score a good few goals.

Try being in my size 8s...I had a bet with Forza Ivano at the beginning of the season that Cardwell and hooper would both do double figures this year...talk about being so far off the mark my dart stuck in the barmaids head!!..
We have to be honest, I think with hooper he suffers with "rabbit in the headlight" syndrome...at Bromley he's playing in front of hundreds whereas in league football it's in front of thousands and just can't handle that added pressure...I also think that's why at FGR he bagged the hat trick, pure and simple he had no pressure at all on him that day....convinced if had the bottle he'd score goals in the league but alas, the poor lad just cannot cut the mustard
Posted by: moosey_club, May 2, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 27
Good for a hat trick in the final game isnt he ? Chuck him in  ;)
Posted by: oochiad, May 2, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 28
I’d have him play instead of Cardwell.
Posted by: golfer, May 2, 2019, 8:05pm; Reply: 29
Do you think Bromley would like to have Cardwell on loan until next May
Posted by: Hagrid, May 2, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 30
Cant be any worse than our forward line. Play him
Posted by: forza ivano, May 2, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Try being in my size 8s...I had a bet with Forza Ivano at the beginning of the season that Cardwell and hooper would both do double figures this year...talk about being so far off the mark my dart stuck in the barmaids head!!..
We have to be honest, I think with hooper he suffers with "rabbit in the headlight" syndrome...at Bromley he's playing in front of hundreds whereas in league football it's in front of thousands and just can't handle that added pressure...I also think that's why at FGR he bagged the hat trick, pure and simple he had no pressure at all on him that day....convinced if had the bottle he'd score goals in the league but alas, the poor lad just cannot cut the mustard

Christ i had completely forgotten about that northbank. That's one of the very few times I've won a predictions challenge! Was it a donation to a charity for the loser? 😉
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 2, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano

Christ i had completely forgotten about that northbank. That's one of the very few times I've won a predictions challenge! Was it a donation to a charity for the loser? 😉

Yep, it's just cost me £25, just need a worthy cause now..here's a virtual handshake Forza...👋👋
Posted by: forza ivano, May 2, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 33
May I suggest st. Andrew's hospice ? My aunt died in September and they cared for superbly in her last few days.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 3, 2019, 7:01am; Reply: 34
Quoted from forza ivano
May I suggest st. Andrew's hospice ? My aunt died in September and they cared for superbly in her last few days.

I'll go with that Forza, they looked after my uncle in his final days and we're absolutely outstanding with their care and empathy.. I'll send the cheque off before the weekend..
Posted by: oochiad, May 3, 2019, 7:22am; Reply: 35
Good stuff guys!! 👏👏👏👏
Posted by: Tommy, May 3, 2019, 9:37am; Reply: 36
Quoted from Hagrid
Cant be any worse than our forward line. Play him

Would rather see Burrell get a game than Hooper (no chance of him being here next year).
Posted by: forza ivano, May 3, 2019, 10:17am; Reply: 37
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

I'll go with that Forza, they looked after my uncle in his final days and we're absolutely outstanding with their care and empathy.. I'll send the cheque off before the weekend..

good stuff - perhaps we can repeat the exercise in a couple of months once we know the make up of next years squad?

here's my early prediction (although don't know if it'd be 'proveable') Whitehouse won't be the disley/waters/groves/bolland type midfield character many are expecting. i think we're building him up far too much
Posted by: Abdul19, May 3, 2019, 10:18am; Reply: 38
I predict he'll be described as "like a new signing" 547 times.
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 3, 2019, 10:21am; Reply: 39
By all accounts Hooper has already been told he won't be involved and won't be offered a new deal.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 3, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 40
Quoted from forza ivano

good stuff - perhaps we can repeat the exercise in a couple of months once we know the make up of next years squad?

here's my early prediction (although don't know if it'd be 'proveable') Whitehouse won't be the disley/waters/groves/bolland type midfield character many are expecting. i think we're building him up far too much

Once we know our squad I will gladly go toe to toe again..
As for Whitehouse, from what I have read I think he is the same sort of player as Clifton, box to box and full of running with the odd goal chucked in..just hope Jolley doesn't see fit to drop Clifton and automatically give Whitehouse the shirt without him proving himself first..
Posted by: Stadium, May 3, 2019, 12:36pm; Reply: 41
By all accounts Hooper has already been told he won't be involved and won't be offered a new deal.

The sensible option.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 3, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Maringer

Maybe Eastleigh might give him a go... ::)
Posted by: Welwynmariner, May 3, 2019, 2:46pm; Reply: 43

That's that then. Seriously though, playing Hooper tomorrow would be the most backward step the club could take. It's an opportunity to play Wright and Burrell and see what they offer at this level.
Posted by: rancido, May 3, 2019, 3:56pm; Reply: 44
I think Hooper is the latest in a long line of players on towns books who seem to be better the longer they don't play for us !
Posted by: StaffsMariner, May 3, 2019, 4:46pm; Reply: 45
I guess he'll start on the left wing then. 4-4-2 with wright on the right
Posted by: golfer, May 3, 2019, 8:03pm; Reply: 46
Definitely playing tomorrow-Jolly has realised the error of his ways and has apologised profusely to J.J. and all the fans and asks that he will be forgiven for getting mixed up between Hooper and Cardwell. He says he has never been very good with names but it was Cardwell that he intended to send to Bromley.
Posted by: FrazerGTFC, May 3, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 47
At his level good with jolly last season that was his position but didn't try bit like Thomas
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 3, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 48
Last game of the season nothing to play for I’m not bothered who we start TBH as in terms of next season it counts for male private all.
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 4:56am