Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 28, 2019, 4:56pm
Did anyone watch the match on TV?

Reports said that Leeds scored when Villa had a man down injured.  The ball was expected to be put out of play or play stopped.

Villa then had a man sent off for what TV showed to be "no contact on Bamford."  Leeds then sportingly allowed Villa to score and equalise without stopping them.

The 1-1 draw means that between them both teams can finish in all 4 of the play-off positions.  The dynamics of who plays who and when may have changed.

The draw means that Sheff United are promoted, although there were there really after the win last night.  
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 28, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 1
I saw it and it at least livened the game up. Apparently Villa had pit it out for Leeds earlier. I think what incensed the Villa players was that the Leeds player on the ball pretty much stopped as though he was going to put it out then put a ball through when his team mate made a run. Loads of handbags after and Bamford went down clutching his face despite any contact being his chest. Bielsa ordered them to let Villa score but Pontus Jansson disagreed and ran across at the last minute to try and stop Adomah. If he'd succeeded it would have been chaos. And flipping hilarious.
Posted by: Stadium, April 28, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Did anyone watch the match on TV?

Reports said that Leeds scored when Villa had a man down injured.  The ball was expected to be put out of play or play stopped.

Villa then had a man sent off for what TV showed to be "no contact on Bamford."  Leeds then sportingly allowed Villa to score and equalise without stopping them.

The 1-1 draw means that between them both teams can finish in all 4 of the play-off positions.  The dynamics of who plays who and when may have changed.

The draw means that Sheff United are promoted, although there were there really after the win last night.  

Apparently Villa had put the ball out earlier in the match due to a Leeds injury.
The red card for Villa will probably be overturned,Bamford was made to look a total fraud.
Love to see Villa vs Leeds final after that.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 28, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 3
I watched it...

A Villa player (Kodjia ) went down after a challenge ( which clearly wasn't a foul) and while there was a moment when Leeds could have put the ball out of touch to stop play, they took advantage of Villa players hesitation and not playing to the whistle and carried on up the field to score

It all kicked off with Villa's players having a go at the Leeds scorer (Klich I think he's called ) and in the melée, Bamford went down as if he'd been smacked in the face after a Villa lad swung his arm ( which hit him softly across his chest mabye)

The benches were all at each other but Bielsa realised that morally maybe Leeds shouldn't have played on so told his players to concede the equaliser straight from the kick off  

The trouble arises from the confusion over what is considered good sportsmanship when a player is genuinely injured or as we see so many times, players going to ground feigning injury just to break up play

The only one who really disgraced himself was Bamford, clutching his face, when there was no contact made at all - if there's any justice he'll get a retrospective ban and the red card El Ghazi got will be overturned

It meant Villa had 10 men for the last 15 minutes but as it stayed 1-1, no damage done reallly although I half expected it to all start over again at the final whistle
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 28, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 4
What a load of idiots, Villa stupid for not playing to the whistle, Leeds player going down holding his face (20 game ban  and 3 months wage fine please, the only way to stop this play acting happening}  Bielsa letting them walk it in, how does Adoma  not get at least a yellow card for pushing Jansen 3 times because he wants to win and not let them walk it into the net.
Can you imagine Bobby C kicking it out of play after he had equalised someone.
Posted by: Stadium, April 28, 2019, 5:47pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Madeleymariner
What a load of idiots, Villa stupid for not playing to the whistle, Leeds player going down holding his face (20 game ban  and 3 months wage fine please, the only way to stop this play acting happening}  Bielsa letting them walk it in, how does Adoma  not get at least a yellow card for pushing Jansen 3 times because he wants to win and not let them walk it into the net.
Can you imagine Bobby C kicking it out of play after he had equalised someone.

Good on him.
Obviously some good PR after the spying incident.
Can you imagine the outrage if they hadn't

Posted by: Gaffer58, April 28, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 6
Unless it's a head injury, or a very nasty challenge where injury could be genuine, then the game should always continue, as said earlier, players are feigning injury to break up play. Also if you watch any prem game any challenge always finishes in a free kick one of the teams as the players will fall for vet and the referees will blow for a foul.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 28, 2019, 11:50pm; Reply: 7
Villa stoped playing cos it suited them why should Leeds  stop ? It was the villa players rash challenge that started it in the first place , I was always taught play to the whistle. Anyway besides all that whose the young villa keeper born in Grimsby who plays for Montenegro under 21s who was on the bench today , and his brother is at Leeds ???
Posted by: topuphere666, April 29, 2019, 7:39am; Reply: 8
Villa stopped which was the main error but the Leeds lad shaped his body and gestured he was going to knock it out before putting the winger through on goal.

Bamford is a helmet for his acting
Posted by: buckstown, April 29, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 9
The problem is that football is awash with play acting cheats, and they've learnt to be good at it. We rightly criticise referees when they get it wrong but half the time they're being conned. In the man City v Brighton cup semi Martin Keown praised a Brighton player "that was a clever dive, buying his team some time when they were under pressure". WTF is happening?
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 29, 2019, 9:42am; Reply: 10
The solution is that everyone always plays to the whistle.  That should stop any confusion.  It is the referee's job to decide when play stops, NOT the players.  How many times has some team had attacking possession only to lose momentum as play is stopped for an opposition player.  The 'injured' player has a small bit of attention from the physio, before getting to his feet, limping for 3 seconds and then sprinting like a young gazelle for the next 50/50 ball.
Posted by: rancido, April 29, 2019, 6:09pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Civvy at last
The solution is that everyone always plays to the whistle.  That should stop any confusion.  It is the referee's job to decide when play stops, NOT the players.  How many times has some team had attacking possession only to lose momentum as play is stopped for an opposition player.  The 'injured' player has a small bit of attention from the physio, before getting to his feet, limping for 3 seconds and then sprinting like a young gazelle for the next 50/50 ball.

I made a suggestion some time ago that if a player was injured enough to require the physio then he should go off the pitch for 5 mins to ensure he is fit enough to continue. This would stop players "feigning " injury just to buy time or disrupt play. I know it sounds harsh but I bet it would stop a lot of the gamesmanship surrounding so called injuries.
Posted by: winghams, April 29, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 12
I think Civvy is right.  
As a keeper in my youth on Barratts on a very muddy winters day I dived on a ball and slithered across the very muddied bye line carrying the ball over the line.
I threw the ball to the corner flag in a gesture of perceived fairness and received a right telling off from a couple of my defenders for doing so.  In retrospect I think they were right.  The referee is the one giving the decisions and if members of the playing sides take over that role only mayhem can ensue as in this Leeds game.
I see the referee in the clip ignoring the player and following play. He did not appear to blow up to stop play. Therefore he judged no foul and play goes on.  If the players had accepted his authority there would have been no farcical antics.
Posted by: Mallyner, April 29, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 13
This incident reminds me of a game at Blundell Park about 10 years ago, when Town lost 2-1 to Bristol Rovers.
I believe it was Rob Jones who was laid flat out in the 6 yard box at the Pontoon end, when Rovers ran through and scored.

Mick Taylor who was the announcer at the time announced, " Congratulations to Junior Agogo, for scoring the most unsporting goal of the season. "

I think that was the last time we heard Mick's dulcet tones.  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 30, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 14

"Leeds United's Patrick Bamford has been charged with 'successful deception of a match official' after his actions in a clash with Aston Villa on Sunday.

After simulating being hit in the face by Anwar El Ghazi, the Aston Villa player was sent off; as a result of today's charge, that card has now been overturned.

Bamford, on the other hand, looks set to be handed a two-match ban which would see him miss the beginning of the promotion play-offs."

Posted by: moosey_club, April 30, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 15
not sure all the discussion on here is that necessary when a simple  "Dirty Leeds"  would have done to describe it  ;D
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:06am