Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 27, 2019, 12:24pm

Looks like Leyton Orient will officially be promoted back into league 2 today and Salford will have to go through the lottery of the play-offs...haha.  

Leyton Orient v Braintree Town.... National League.....12:30 (BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 4K UHD)
Posted by: rancido, April 27, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from promotion plaice

Looks like Leyton Orient will officially be promoted back into league 2 today and Salford will have to go through the lottery of the play-offs...haha.  

Leyton Orient v Braintree Town.... National League.....12:30 (BT Sport 1 / BT Sport 4K UHD)

Haven't they introduce a new play -off format this season for that league. I'm sure I read somewhere that the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd are automatically in the play-offs with the teams finishing 4th to 7th involved in play-offs to determine who is in the play-offs!!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 27, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from rancido

Haven't they introduce a new play -off format this season for that league. I'm sure I read somewhere that the teams finishing 2nd and 3rd are automatically in the play-offs with the teams finishing 4th to 7th involved in play-offs to determine who is in the play-offs!!

Correct. 4th v 7th and 5th v 6th to determine who goes through to the play-off semis versus 2nd and 3rd.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 27, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 3
While I did feel sorry for the Orient fans who were literally sold down the river after Hearn sold the club, the current situation there is much the same as Salford. Money talks, big bucks in the club these days from owners with fat wallets as we shall see next season. They will aim to do a Lincoln or even a Luton.
Posted by: rancido, April 27, 2019, 1:02pm; Reply: 4
While I did feel sorry for the Orient fans who were literally sold down the river after Hearn sold the club, the current situation there is much the same as Salford. Money talks, big bucks in the club these days from owners with fat wallets as we shall see next season. They will aim to do a Lincoln or even a Luton.

Isn't that what we want for GTFC? I thought we wanted an owner who was prepared to pour money into the club and not want it back, like a football philanthropist.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, April 27, 2019, 1:14pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from rancido

Isn't that what we want for GTFC? I thought we wanted an owner who was prepared to pour money into the club and not want it back, like a football philanthropist.

That's a complete misrepresentation of what people are saying. I want a club which lives within its means but is proactive in trying to increase those means by being progressive and innovative. I also don't want to see those 'means' being drained to pay a debt largely created by poor running of the club and ongoing failure.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 27, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from rancido

No it isn't. Look at Crawley who were doing the same thing as Orient in our first season in the Conference. When the original owner died and the money dried up they had to restructure dramatically. As Rodley says, we don't want a Playstation team, we want a grown up solution that can adapt with the times and grow the club as a proper business.

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 27, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 7
The new play-off is a better and fairer format as it rewards teams far more for finishing in higher league positions.  Also, there is more opportunity to finish in a play-off position.
Posted by: Bigdog, April 27, 2019, 2:14pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido

Yes please. Someone who invests in the club by way of buying shares and not putting a noose around its neck with directors loans. If they've got 30 mill for a new stadium and a few mill to upgrade our training ground, not want it back and let us grow sustainably from there, that would be perfect.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 27, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 9

Leyton Orient promoted to League 2 as National League Champions.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 27, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 10
Having been watching, it orient will need to buy a whole squad for next season.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 27, 2019, 2:28pm; Reply: 11

How many ex Town players played in that game ???........even Slade got a mention   :)
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 27, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 12
Welcome back Craig Clay (booked today for a bad foul, Jo Widdowson and Matt Harold).

Osborne and Yussuf finished a very creditable second with Solihull Moors, although neither regulars played today.  They could win the playoffs.
Posted by: MarinersOnTheUp, April 27, 2019, 3:30pm; Reply: 13
Delighted for them. Their deserve it, especially when you consider that they probably never would've ended up down there if it wasn't for the EFL and a dodgy Italian businessman - the kind who wanted to demolish the ground and build houses on it.

I don't think it's fair at all to compare them to the likes of Salford and Crawley. Don't forget Orient were a massive club for that level (probably quite a similar size to us) and should really be in league 1 anyway. I think their average attendance had been around 5,000 all season. When you look at their squad I can't see any players that would've broken the bank.

Would much rather have a club like that back in the football league than a tinpot club with money.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 27, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from rancido

For someone who claims to be neutral, you don't half like having a dig.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 27, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 15
Glad Orient are back, proper club.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 27, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 16
Well done to Orient that's a hell of an achievement to bounce straight back up!
Posted by: Eastendmariner, April 27, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 17
Orient  just under a mile to stagger to next season so not bad hoping for Wimbledon Southend to come down as well  ;D
Posted by: The Boys Paddock, April 27, 2019, 6:07pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Well done to Orient that's a hell of an achievement to bounce straight back up!

they didnt, they finished 13th last year, but they are welcome back
Posted by: Ipswin, April 27, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 19
Great news, just need Wrexham to win the playoffs and two proper clubs back in the FL
Posted by: rancido, April 27, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Bigdog

Yes please. Someone who invests in the club by way of buying shares and not putting a noose around its neck with directors loans. If they've got 30 mill for a new stadium and a few mill to upgrade our training ground, not want it back and let us grow sustainably from there, that would be perfect.

So we want to find somebody who wants to give the club 35 million quid just for the kudos of owning a football club. Sounds great and then we can be the kind of club that posters on here criticize for buying success . Bring it on.
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2019, 7:12pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Bigdog

If only you had explained yourself earlier. I have been waiting ages for an opportunity like that. First thing Monday I'll pop down to the Post Office.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, April 27, 2019, 7:15pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Eastendmariner
Orient just under a mile to stagger to next season so not bad hoping for Wimbledon Southend to come down as well  ;D

I bet you still go on the fcuking Megabus though.
Posted by: Ipswin, April 27, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Madeleymariner

I thought it was normal for teams promoted from the Conference to ditch most of the players who got them up the moment they achieve their league status back as they aren't considered good enough.

Don't all successful teams do that , errrr hang on tho'.......

Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, April 27, 2019, 7:55pm; Reply: 24
Always a great away day, looking forward to it already.
Posted by: golfer, April 27, 2019, 9:21pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Madeleymariner

Their present team would beat our present team-most teams would
Posted by: sam gy, April 28, 2019, 9:40am; Reply: 26
I live in Leytonstone, so a nice easy away day for me!

Went to see them against Eastleigh a few weeks back, was a very entertaining match and they’ve got a decent team. Clay went for every ball in the middle of the park, Josh Koroma is brilliant and Macauley Bonne is obviously a good striker.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 28, 2019, 11:24am; Reply: 27
Quoted from golfer

Their present team would beat our present team-most teams would

Often the case with teams from the National Leagues beating teams from League 2

I remember us doing that a few times when we were down there
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 30, 2019, 12:02am; Reply: 28
Quoted from sam gy
I live in Leytonstone, so a nice easy away day for me!

Went to see them against Eastleigh a few weeks back, was a very entertaining match and they’ve got a decent team. Clay went for every ball in the middle of the park, Josh Koroma is brilliant and Macauley Bonne is obviously a good striker.

He did that for us. Often used to miss it though. He might have improved since then, he was young and maybe misread situations leaving us exposed. I'd be genuinely interested to see if he has developed.
Posted by: Meza, April 30, 2019, 7:14am; Reply: 29
I've seen a few Orient matches on btsport and from what I've seen in those matches Clay is OK nothing special for me.
Print page generated: May 14, 2024, 6:46pm