Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Stew0_0, April 25, 2019, 8:16am
The key to success for us next term is being able to pick up some decent strikers. Something that we have struggled with since the sale of Bogle.
In the last 7/8 years alone we have had Hannah, Hearn, Bogle, Amond, John-Lewis, Palmer, Pitman, Dyson and Andy Cook.
All of which would fit into our team now (in their prime).
I just hope our budget constraints isnt stopping us from making some decent additions up top.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 25, 2019, 9:36am; Reply: 1
Dyson?!
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 25, 2019, 9:40am; Reply: 2
Quoted from Abdul19
Dyson?!

He'd absolutely clean up in this division, to be fair.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 25, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Son of Cod

He is on loan at Stevenage from Plymouth and has made a total of 2 appearances (no goals) for either club this season. Since signing for Stevenage he has not been in the first team squad, Plymouth fans are not surprised.

Posted by: marinerdazza, April 25, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 4
Quoted from Son of Cod

He plays in Malaysia now. Doubt he'd come back here.
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 25, 2019, 10:26am; Reply: 5

He is on loan at Stevenage from Plymouth and has made a total of 2 appearances (no goals) for either club this season. Since signing for Stevenage he has not been in the first team squad, Plymouth fans are not surprised.

Oh Ron. Surprised at you tbh.
Posted by: Bignic69, April 25, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 6
i think MJ will be able to use most of the budget given for next season on attack minded players due to the fact that most of our defenders are already contracted and we're bulking the squad up by giving youths pro deals.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 25, 2019, 1:40pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Stew0_0
The key to success for us next term is being able to pick up some decent strikers. Something that we have struggled with since the sale of Bogle.
In the last 7/8 years alone we have had Hannah, Hearn, Bogle, Amond, John-Lewis, Palmer, Pitman, Dyson and Andy Cook.
All of which would fit into our team now (in their prime).
I just hope our budget constraints isnt stopping us from making some decent additions up top.

Of that list Bogle, Amond and Hearn would dot the business at this level. Hannah was a conference striker at best, same goes for Pittman, Cook has come on leaps and bounds but was a good (but not great) non league player when he played for us. Both Shop and Palmer are good players but neither of them are goal scorers(certainly not at this level), it's probably the same for Dyson.

Posted by: Abdul19, April 25, 2019, 1:50pm; Reply: 8
To be fair, Palmer has scored a decent amount this season at this level (14, same as Amond).
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 25, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from horsforthmariner

Of that list Bogle, Amond and Hearn would dot the business at this level. Hannah was a conference striker at best, same goes for Pittman, Cook has come on leaps and bounds but was a good (but not great) non league player when he played for us. Both Shop and Palmer are good players but neither of them are goal scorers(certainly not at this level), it's probably the same for Dyson.

I always felt Cook had it in him to do well the older he got

He was only 21 when we got him and left us at 23... with the experience he's had the past 5 years, I'm sure he could easily hold down a place in to our team now

I was only talking about him at the match the other day, comparing him with both Thomas and Dennis, who to my mind will score if the ball is presented to them, whereas Cook would go looking for the ball and create and take chances by himself

Not sure that if Walsall go down he'll come down with them because with a return of 1 goal every 3 games, some other club at League 1 level might well be interested in him

Btw disagree a little about Palmer.....14 goals in 38 appearances this season for Crawley isn't that bad a return for a front man
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 25, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Abdul19
To be fair, Palmer has scored a decent amount this season at this level (14, same as Amond).

I didn't realise Palmer had got that many. I really liked Palmer when he was here. Reminded me a bit of Livvo.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, April 25, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 11

I didn't realise Palmer had got that many. I really liked Palmer when he was here. Reminded me a bit of Livvo.

plus he's handy to have around if you don't have a bottle opener!
Posted by: Abdul19, April 25, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 12

Yeah I did. It's a shame we didn't have him for the first half of that season when we were dropping so many points at home.
Posted by: Mallyner, April 25, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 13
Natural goalscorers are rare and I think we need to look at all options, including lower league and Sweden, Scotland etc.

Kevin Nisbet has scored 27 for Raith Rovers in Division 1 and although the level is obviously lower than our league, he has scored more than anybody else in that league.

Which in my eyes makes him a natural goalscorer.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 25, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mallyner
Natural goalscorers are rare and I think we need to look at all options, including lower league and Sweden, Scotland etc.

Kevin Nisbet has scored 27 for Raith Rovers in Division 1 and although the level is obviously lower than our league, he has scored more than anybody else in that league.

I can run naturally, I doesn't make me fast though!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 25, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 15
Over to you Akheem👆👆
Posted by: Rik e B, April 25, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 16
Palmer is proven at this level. Wish we could have him, but we can't  :'(
Posted by: Stew0_0, April 25, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Bignic69
i think MJ will be able to use most of the budget given for next season on attack minded players due to the fact that most of our defenders are already contracted and we're bulking the squad up by giving youths pro deals.

I think collins, whitmore, RHJ and Davis are 4 of the 7.
I only expect us to offer new contracts to 2 of those and sign at least 1 new defender but its still a chunk out of our budget

Posted by: Bignic69, April 26, 2019, 8:04am; Reply: 18
Dont Davis and Whitmore still have extension options on their contracts?
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, April 27, 2019, 10:00am; Reply: 19
John Akinde anyone?
Posted by: Hagrid, April 27, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 20
John Akinde anyone?

Are you allright? Pfa team of the year now league 1 striker on mega money at lincoln, why on earth would he come here. Plus we could never afford to buy him
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 27, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Hagrid

Are you allright? Pfa team of the year now league 1 striker on mega money at lincoln, why on earth would he come here. Plus we could never afford to buy him

Just seen Timo Werner in Steels with Fenty mate.
Posted by: mimma, April 27, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 22
Dennis is a natural finisher. Just doesn't fit into our system.

There lies the problem
Posted by: 139847 (Guest), April 27, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from mimma
Dennis is a natural finisher. Just doesn't fit into our system.

There lies the problem

Completely agree, slot Dennis into a team playing good football on the deck and creating chances and Dennis would score a lot. He's good positionally and can deffo finish, we have looked massively void of creativity of late - especially since we lost embo and our football seems mainly to involve the likes of RHJ Hendrie and Grayson hoofing speculative balls up the flank to strikers like dennis and ahkeem who arent aerial, ball winning strikers or hold up players, ahkeem needs the ball played in space to run and beat his man for pace, dennis just needs the ball in the box!
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, April 27, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 24
The most important position for us to fill is that of a creative midfielder . Sadly Diz has never been properly replaced. Embo missing has really highlighted this problem- nobody supplying the front players.
Posted by: Mallyner, April 27, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Mallyner

Scored 2 more today.  :)

Posted by: 139847 (Guest), April 27, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 26
The most important position for us to fill is that of a creative midfielder . Sadly Diz has never been properly replaced. Embo missing has really highlighted this problem- nobody supplying the front players.

totally agree, we haven't had a good box to box midfielder since diz. When he left, those we kept were also significantly worse - diz would have done a better job for another season.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 7:07pm