Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Badger57, April 22, 2019, 10:15pm
Didn't anybody go?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 22, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 1
Everyone is either still in the pub or still in a state of shock
Posted by: hheh2, April 22, 2019, 10:19pm; Reply: 2
Maybe the pontoon finally collapsed and they're still there  ;)
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 22, 2019, 10:33pm; Reply: 3
There all still there celebrating the goal, it may be some time for the next one.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 22, 2019, 10:38pm; Reply: 4
You've just started it... ;)

I did one in a roundabout way earlier when I had a tweet read out on RH which said

Well earned, well deserved win for Town today. Played on the front foot all game & perseverance got us the goal. Been a while but  victory celebrations tonight! #UTM

Maybe everyone is still out celebrating ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, April 22, 2019, 10:39pm; Reply: 5
not many there in reality....i am not sure i believe the official attendance of nearly 3700 as from the Upper the Pontoon and the Main looked very sparce.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 22, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
not many there in reality....i am not sure i believe the official attendance of nearly 3700 as from the Upper the Pontoon and the Main looked very sparce.

I was led to believe that there would be a lot more coming from Carlisle

To be honest being so close to the play-offs and with it being a sunny bank holiday Monday, I was surprised at their low turn out ( just under 300)
Posted by: oochiad, April 22, 2019, 10:45pm; Reply: 7
I thought it was a good crowd and expected less from reading all the doom and gloom on here. A much improved performance today and I’m looking forward to next weeks trip to Notts. The overall feeling where I sit in the Main Stand was positive and we had conversations regarding renewing our season tickets. UTM
Posted by: davmariner, April 22, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 8
I was pleased with how we did. Given the squad issues at the minute I wasn’t expecting much from today but there were many positives, notably the inclusion of Ahkeem Rose who looked a real handful (even though he was being played out of position).

Hessenthaler was his usual reliable self and special mention to Vernam who looked sharp and very busy. His assist was excellent.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 22, 2019, 11:39pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

To be honest being so close to the play-offs and with it being a sunny bank holiday Monday, I was surprised at their low turn out ( just under 300)

Yeah. I was surprised by that too. Arf Arted. Thought they were a well supported club.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 23, 2019, 3:32am; Reply: 10

Agree, if the roles had been reversed and we were 1 point/position from the playoffs and playing away at Carlisle on a sunny bank holiday I can guarantee our numbers would have been close to 1000.
Posted by: golfer, April 23, 2019, 6:10am; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Yeah. I was surprised by that too. Arf Arted. Thought they were a well supported club.

I counted their supporters in the away end and there were only 3- and they all wore yellow jackets
Posted by: marinerrick, April 23, 2019, 6:47am; Reply: 12
I hope that jolley will now have realised that vernam is worthy of a start now rather than like today when he had no choice. Every chance on goal came through vernam. Thought clifton had a decent game with a few silly errors. Rose looks sharp but would like to see him next season playing where Dennis was as I think his pace would cause problems. Hess had a decent game worked hard and delivered some good balls. Ring I'm undecided about maybe the lad needs a rest and a pre season to get the best from him. R H-J looked lazy at times. Maybe lack of confidence over the whole side was partly to blame but as the game wore on players started to find some confidence and not be afraid to have a go.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 23, 2019, 7:11am; Reply: 13
Pants train journey, got back at 12.30am
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 14
Quoted from golfer

I counted their supporters in the away end and there were only 3- and they all wore yellow jackets

Must have been from France trying to start the protests over here. Probably saw BP and thought 'eet looks like ze Engleesh ave already ad zer riots.'
Posted by: BeijingMariner, April 23, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 15
Good lord, and I thought the Fishy was negative (which it is, sometimes)....[url]https://www.thecumbrians.net/cufc-forum/main-forum/10177-18-19-grimsby-a-match-thread?start=0[/url]

one of their fans said we were 'neat and tidy' in the opening minutes of the game, then absolutely everyone else said what a shower of sh#te we were. I thought we were alright, actually, some really bright passages of play, lots of pressing, working hard. Maybe it was just me.....
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, April 23, 2019, 8:49am; Reply: 16
Quoted from marinerrick
I hope that jolley will now have realised that vernam is worthy of a start now rather than like today when he had no choice. Every chance on goal came through vernam. Thought clifton had a decent game with a few silly errors. Rose looks sharp but would like to see him next season playing where Dennis was as I think his pace would cause problems. Hess had a decent game worked hard and delivered some good balls. Ring I'm undecided about maybe the lad needs a rest and a pre season to get the best from him. R H-J looked lazy at times. Maybe lack of confidence over the whole side was partly to blame but as the game wore on players started to find some confidence and not be afraid to have a go.

RHJ looked lazy!!!!!! Did you not see him overlapping throughout the game and on one occasion was the only player we had in a forward position and another ran the full length of the pitch pretty much ending up in the first row of the Pontoon. We certainly see the game from different perspectives.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 23, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 17
Quoted from marinerrick

He may have been tired at the end but he got through some miles up and down that right flank! He is definitely not lazy!
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 23, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 18
Pleased Rose got his start but disappointed he was used on the wing, in fact disappointed with the system overall if I'm honest.  Vernam and Rose are the two players we had in the line-up likely or indeed capable of creating something.  Be it through pace or just sheer technical ability.  I felt both were wasted out wide, despite both showing what they can do.  Both have pace, to burn in the case of Rose.   By not having them go up against a 3-stone overweight Anthony Gerrard was a missed opportunity in my eyes.  

Hess was awesome again in midfield.  By a country mile he's my player of the season, him and Clifton really compliment each other so well with their energy.  They just badly need a creative player in front of them to make the most of their hard work.   Hendrie in there gave us another body but not all convinced he's a central midfielder.  I don't think the lad disgraced himself at all but it was a bit disappointing to see him in that role when we've got a young lad on the bench in Jock Curran who has been getting rave reviews playing in front of the back four for the reserves.

Thought we were solid at the back, Carlisle had a couple of very nimble and tricky performers but the back 4 handled them well.  McKeown made a very smart save when required.  

Dennis was starved of service but in turn he didn't offer an outlet when we needed him to be one either.  Lost count of the amount of times our midfield broke from deep but he was hiding away behind a defender.   The first ten minutes he actually led the line really well with some clever lay-offs, not sure if he then just tired.  I was all for giving the lad a fair run of games to see what he can do but he doesn't seem to have remotely improved his fitness since arriving, I think this is probably just going to be one of those deals that looked good on paper but not in reality.  

As a side note, quite a few occasions where we knocked it about really well only for the long grass to hold the ball up and kill any passage of play.  Not sure if instructions are to protect the pitch (not sure why at this stage of the season) then fair enough but our play needs to reflect the surface and vice-versa.
Posted by: friskneymariner, April 23, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 19
R.H.J. looked lazy? in the second half our main outlet was through him and Vernham over lapping on the right,did you not see him sprint after that lost cause of a ball in the last quarter of the game.He gave everything in the match.
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 20
Though certainly an improvement on recent fare, I thought the performance showed exactly where we are at this point in time which is a fair distance from a team vying for promotion.

Fundamentally, we have a hard-working, but otherwise limited team. Carlisle passed it around from the back and through midfield much better and faster than we could and they had a couple of very useful players in their No. 16 and No. 17. Luckily, not much of a threat from their forwards. Considering they were around the play-offs, I was expecting more from them but our hard work in defence no doubt helped to negate much of their threat.

Going forward, we started brightly enough but we then saw the usual litany of misplaced or under-hit passes which took most of our impetus away. I think we managed just 2 or 3 good balls into the box during the course of the game and, of course, the goal eventually came from one of them. However, at other times, we were very wasteful when in good positions. When we give the ball away absolutely needlessly 10 or even 20 times a game, it's no surprise that we struggle to build up a head of steam and don't score many goals because the opposition defence is rarely stretched.

We also need much better delivery into the box from both crosses and set pieces. Quite why Clifton was taking the set pieces I'm not so sure as he doesn't look to have a great delivery most of the time. In fact, I would probably put Hendrie on them as we've seen him put some very good crosses in at times.

The defence all did OK with the exception of Ring who I thought struggled, albeit against a strong and quick winger. I'm sorry to say it, but I just don't think he's going to be up to the task. He's OK with the ball at his feet but, although you can get away with being relatively diminutive if you're quick enough and strong enough, he most definitely isn't. Short, weak and slowish isn't a great combination and I can't see how he can become the wing-back (or even full-back) which we need, even after a pre-season training with the squad. On the other hand, RHJ is strong and reasonably quick but he's never going to be a great footballer. Very slow to think and move the ball on when he gets it at his feet and not a good passer though his strength and willingness to barrel forwards helps to make up for that to some degree. I think Whitmore and Davis are both OK if not world-beaters and will probably stay this summer though whether there is enough between them and Ohman to give us a defence capable of winning promotion remains to be seen. If we are going to play 3 at the back, I don't think there is really space for two 'stoppers' such as Ohman and Whitmore in the team at the same time so more probably we'll have to get a replacement for Collins as a regular starter. Hopefully, somebody left-sided with better distribution as well as being more mobile, of course!

Hessenthaler is excellent in midfield and does important work at both ends of the pitch, Clifton works hard but needs to improve his use of the ball and we obviously need somebody much more mobile to replace Woolford/Welsh as well. Whitehouse, perhaps?

Hendrie is our best full-back and I thought he was wasted in midfield where he didn't really get involved enough - we immediately looked more solid defensively when he moved to left-back. I think the fact that we probably stuck him in midfield because he was the only senior player we have available with the physical attributes to compete in the middle says a lot about the depth of the squad. I don't know about the youngsters so can't comment if any of them will be capable of doing the job.

Up front, I think Dennis showed he's got the ability with some of his movement and first-time lay-offs but I get the feeling that he needs to receive the ball in the box to show what he can do there and the quality of our passing and crossing just hasn't been good enough to provide this service. I'd be surprised if he stayed at the end of the season but think he could be useful for us if he was to stay. I don't think I'd be looking to break the bank, however. I felt sorry for Rose who obviously didn't have a clue what to do out on the left much of them time. In fact, he didn't really get any chances to use his pace which was a real waste, especially if we could have got him up against their chunky No. 5. No criticism of him for struggling in an unfamiliar role, however. We've all seen many forwards struggle when playing in a wide role. Vernam did well in general and put in an excellent cross for the winner at the death. However, he does have a habit of running into dead ends and I'd like to see a little more consistency from him. Still, at least it seems he is likely to get a full season under his belt for the first time in years (or ever, perhaps?) so lots of potential to see much more from him next season.

Macca made his usual excellent save so I'm always happy to see his name on the teamsheet. If only he was better at kicking (in which case he'd be playing at least a division higher).

I think we'll need probably 4 or 5 decent signings to push us high enough up the table next season. Question is whether the budget is there for this or whether we can tempt the right sort of players to sign?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 21
I wonder with Ring whether he just needs a good long rest. He played the Swedish season (April-Nov) short break then hit the ground running here. That and still adapting to a strange country (don't under-estimate the culture shock). Jolley must have seen something in him.
Posted by: forza ivano, April 23, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Maringer
Though certainly an improvement on recent fare, I thought the performance showed exactly where we are at this point in time which is a fair distance from a team vying for promotion.

Fundamentally, we have a hard-working, but otherwise limited team. Carlisle passed it around from the back and through midfield much better and faster than we could and they had a couple of very useful players in their No. 16 and No. 17. Luckily, not much of a threat from their forwards. Considering they were around the play-offs, I was expecting more from them but our hard work in defence no doubt helped to negate much of their threat.

Going forward, we started brightly enough but we then saw the usual litany of misplaced or under-hit passes which took most of our impetus away. I think we managed just 2 or 3 good balls into the box during the course of the game and, of course, the goal eventually came from one of them. However, at other times, we were very wasteful when in good positions. When we give the ball away absolutely needlessly 10 or even 20 times a game, it's no surprise that we struggle to build up a head of steam and don't score many goals because the opposition defence is rarely stretched.

We also need much better delivery into the box from both crosses and set pieces. Quite why Clifton was taking the set pieces I'm not so sure as he doesn't look to have a great delivery most of the time. In fact, I would probably put Hendrie on them as we've seen him put some very good crosses in at times.

The defence all did OK with the exception of Ring who I thought struggled, albeit against a strong and quick winger. I'm sorry to say it, but I just don't think he's going to be up to the task. He's OK with the ball at his feet but, although you can get away with being relatively diminutive if you're quick enough and strong enough, he most definitely isn't. Short, weak and slowish isn't a great combination and I can't see how he can become the wing-back (or even full-back) which we need, even after a pre-season training with the squad. On the other hand, RHJ is strong and reasonably quick but he's never going to be a great footballer. Very slow to think and move the ball on when he gets it at his feet and not a good passer though his strength and willingness to barrel forwards helps to make up for that to some degree. I think Whitmore and Davis are both OK if not world-beaters and will probably stay this summer though whether there is enough between them and Ohman to give us a defence capable of winning promotion remains to be seen. If we are going to play 3 at the back, I don't think there is really space for two 'stoppers' such as Ohman and Whitmore in the team at the same time so more probably we'll have to get a replacement for Collins as a regular starter. Hopefully, somebody left-sided with better distribution as well as being more mobile, of course!

Hessenthaler is excellent in midfield and does important work at both ends of the pitch, Clifton works hard but needs to improve his use of the ball and we obviously need somebody much more mobile to replace Woolford/Welsh as well. Whitehouse, perhaps?

Hendrie is our best full-back and I thought he was wasted in midfield where he didn't really get involved enough - we immediately looked more solid defensively when he moved to left-back. I think the fact that we probably stuck him in midfield because he was the only senior player we have available with the physical attributes to compete in the middle says a lot about the depth of the squad. I don't know about the youngsters so can't comment if any of them will be capable of doing the job.

Up front, I think Dennis showed he's got the ability with some of his movement and first-time lay-offs but I get the feeling that he needs to receive the ball in the box to show what he can do there and the quality of our passing and crossing just hasn't been good enough to provide this service. I'd be surprised if he stayed at the end of the season but think he could be useful for us if he was to stay. I don't think I'd be looking to break the bank, however. I felt sorry for Rose who obviously didn't have a clue what to do out on the left much of them time. In fact, he didn't really get any chances to use his pace which was a real waste, especially if we could have got him up against their chunky No. 5. No criticism of him for struggling in an unfamiliar role, however. We've all seen many forwards struggle when playing in a wide role. Vernam did well in general and put in an excellent cross for the winner at the death. However, he does have a habit of running into dead ends and I'd like to see a little more consistency from him. Still, at least it seems he is likely to get a full season under his belt for the first time in years (or ever, perhaps?) so lots of potential to see much more from him next season.

Macca made his usual excellent save so I'm always happy to see his name on the teamsheet. If only he was better at kicking (in which case he'd be playing at least a division higher).

I think we'll need probably 4 or 5 decent signings to push us high enough up the table next season. Question is whether the budget is there for this or whether we can tempt the right sort of players to sign?

thanks for that Maringer - very informative. i think you could also use this as the end of season report - in the games i have seen my impressions have been almost identical to yours
Posted by: marinerrick, April 23, 2019, 1:36pm; Reply: 23
What I meant by RHJ being lazy was he seemed to let certain balls just go, not his work rate which as other have said he worked hard. Just sometimes watched balls go out rather than challenge
Posted by: Maringer, April 23, 2019, 1:37pm; Reply: 24
I just think Jolley has underestimated the physical attributes required of players for lower league football. Back in the day when Dario Gradi was getting the plaudits for developing young players at Crewe (less said about more recent allegations, the better!), I remember reading a quote from him that the first thing they would look for in these players was the ability to run. He noted that you can coach a player to become a better footballer but you can't give him the ability to run.

Jolley's grounding is at a Premier League U-23 team where all the players are going to be towards the top end of the physical spectrum - they won't be taken on there if they aren't considered quick enough or strong enough so all the players there will be physically capable of mixing it up. After that, he worked in Sweden which can't be as physical a league if Ring has done well over there.

Underestimating the physical needs would certainly explain why we started the season attempting to play 3-5-2 with Dixon at left-back, Welsh and Woolford in the centre and Collins at the back. Way, way too slow a line-up.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think a rest over the summer is likely to make Ring quick or strong enough for the job.
Posted by: golfer, April 23, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 25

Must have been from France trying to start the protests over here. Probably saw BP and thought 'eet looks like ze Engleesh ave already ad zer riots.'

Your French is not very good,should be "ZERS" riots-"zer" is the singular-mon ami
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 23, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 26
I wonder with Ring whether he just needs a good long rest. He played the Swedish season (April-Nov) short break then hit the ground running here. That and still adapting to a strange country (don't under-estimate the culture shock). Jolley must have seen something in him.

Definitely. And it is a culture shock, on and off the field. But I think he's gradually coming to terms with it. He'll be a better player in August.
Posted by: toontown, April 23, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 27
Ring might make an acceptable back up full back for a promotion chasing side, doubt he would be good enough as first choice for a side with top 7 ambitions tho. What he certainly wont be is a wing back at league 2 level, no way.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from marinerdazza

Definitely. And it is a culture shock, on and off the field. But I think he's gradually coming to terms with it. He'll be a better player in August.

I was thinking of culture shock mainly off the field. Obviously we've got historical cultural links to the Nordics but things work differently over there. Well over there things work  ;)
Posted by: sydney, April 23, 2019, 7:02pm; Reply: 29
Ring will be fine
Hess and Clifton have had some poor games too although Sat was not one of them
Think MJ gives the team too much info Pre match
To much “Theory”
Think MJ is really trying to do and say the right thing but perhaps a bit of “less is more” and just enjoy and play to your strengths and take a few more decisions based on impulse might see a few more performances like sat
Come on Town finish with 2 wins
Strengthen squad in the summer and who knows what next year may bring
Whitehouse strength is sat between midfield and strikers I am reliably informed  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from golfer

Your French is not very good,should be "ZERS" riots-"zer" is the singular-mon ami

I'll have you know I've spent years with the best guidance on the French language, as she is spoken not textbook French. The programme I use also covers spoken German, Italian and English. It's an old app called 'Allo 'Allo.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 24, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 31
Good call KM

I always found the infamous Monsieur Artois is guaranteed to get you talking "Double Dutch" as well  ;)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 25, 2019, 12:47am; Reply: 32
Good call KM

I always found the infamous Monsieur Artois is guaranteed to get you talking "Double Dutch" as well  ;)

I always thought it was Madamoiselle Artois? Stella's a funny name for un bloke n'est-ce pas?
Posted by: Tommy, April 25, 2019, 2:22am; Reply: 33
As others have said, it was much better wasn't it.

I saw the line-up and expected 3-5-2 and was surprised to see Hendrie lining up in a midfield 3 with Hess and Harry. That said, he did alright in there, much better than Davis did in midfield. More mobility and more technical ability than Davis helped. Was getting into the final third enough times but then under-cooking passes or poor balls into the box let us down.

Contained Carlisle quite well and although they had spells of decent possession, they weren't hurting us with it, didn't create chances against us and we were a well organised unit.

Dennis had a quiet game. But he's a finisher. A poacher. And if we're not creating chances then he's going to have quiet games and he's going to struggle to do impact a game. He'll be an asset to a half decent team next season I'm sure.

Rose and Vernam threatened to make things happen. I would've loved Rose to be given a bit longer down the middle where Dennis was playing. He's not got a bad leap on him to challenge in the air, but the few minutes he had centrally before having to come off, you could see the fear in the centre-backs who could sense him putting them under pressure.

I thought Ring did OK. A wing-back he isn't, but i think he'll be a capable full-back in a back 4, with someone ahead of him to link up with.

The Woolford sub hindered us and I can't for the life of me understand why we didn't put one of the younger lads on at that time instead. I actually thought the same when Grayson came on but he scored a very well-taken winner, so can't complain too much about that one.

It seemed madness to me to try and play 7 minutes of injury time with no striker, in a kind of 4-Pollock-4-Clifton-nobody (4-6-0). I don't mind us bringing everyone back for corners but to set up like that in open play, with no striker and invite pressure in the final few minutes was absolute lunacy to me.

I thought Whitmore competed brilliantly but he has his limits. He's a real "kick it and head it" centre back who just gets balls away. Direction not always controlled.

RHJ similarly has limits. Good physical attributes and can get up and down the pitch, but his quality on the ball, delivery into the box, and decision-making at times in possession, is way off.

Thought Hessenthaler was our best player. He's one who could comfortably play in a better team. And hopefully that'll be with us next season.

A bigger rebuild needed than we thought at various times this season, but still not as big as in previous years. Will be interesting to see who MJ sticks with and if he stays loyal to some of the older players and some players who I think are OK, but we could actually do better than.
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 25, 2019, 8:54am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Tommy
As others have said, it was much better wasn't it.

A bigger rebuild needed than we thought at various times this season, but still not as big as in previous years. Will be interesting to see who MJ sticks with and if he stays loyal to some of the older players and some players who I think are OK, but we could actually do better than.

If we're going to improve to the levels we aspire to, ignoring any budget constraints, I think it's a significant rebuild needed.

As an absolute minimum I think we need 2 centre backs, a left back, a bruiser of a midfielder, a creative midfielder, a winger, two strikers.  That said I'm really not sure that's what we'll get.

Jolley has now either re-signed or brought in every single member of this squad who has a contract beyond the end of this season.  I also get the feeling that even with the departures of Welsh, Hooper, Thomas etc. we're looking at this as our lot for the next season, hence so many young lads getting deals to fill out the squad.  Maybe a bit of money to bring in a proper striker and possibly he might want to upgrade on one of Davis or Whitmore.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 25, 2019, 12:02pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from diehardmariner

If we're going to improve to the levels we aspire to, ignoring any budget constraints, I think it's a significant rebuild needed.

As an absolute minimum I think we need 2 centre backs, a left back, a bruiser of a midfielder, a creative midfielder, a winger, two strikers.  That said I'm really not sure that's what we'll get.

Jolley has now either re-signed or brought in every single member of this squad who has a contract beyond the end of this season.  I also get the feeling that even with the departures of Welsh, Hooper, Thomas etc. we're looking at this as our lot for the next season, hence so many young lads getting deals to fill out the squad.  Maybe a bit of money to bring in a proper striker and possibly he might want to upgrade on one of Davis or Whitmore.

In an ideal world we will finish next season with Clifton approaching/surpassing 100 games and Wright having notched up a few appearances. If we can get Pollock, Curran, Buckley and Burrell out on loan early on, one of them could prove themselves ready by the end of the season.

It is great that our squad is padded out with youth graduates providing it allows extra money to be spent in the key areas you mentioned. We definitely need someone in the middle to win the aerial challenges and second balls. This may explain his decision to add the height of Davis and Hendrie in recent games.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:38am