Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Bigdog, April 22, 2019, 2:53pm
Happiest I've been with the chosen starting line up for a good while. Made me change my score prediction. Hope we can shake off our recent lack of confidence and put in a decent performance..

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1120311403611611139
Posted by: chaos33, April 22, 2019, 3:01pm; Reply: 1
What formation is that?
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, April 22, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 2
McPherson?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 3:03pm; Reply: 3
451/433 with Hendrie joining the midfield 3 Rose and Vernam wide and Dennis up front.
Posted by: BeijingMariner, April 22, 2019, 3:04pm; Reply: 4
first 2 minutes has been very high tempo and in their faces. keep that up
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 5
2 shots already this week. Thats an improvement already  ;D
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 22, 2019, 3:09pm; Reply: 6
Good start, Rose and Vernam involved alot
Posted by: BeijingMariner, April 22, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 7
town look like they are sped up compared to recent games
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 22, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 8
First task for Ring which is a good confidence boost for him as he does well in the end
Posted by: BeijingMariner, April 22, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 9
that was excellent defending, Ring and Hessenthaler together
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 22, 2019, 3:21pm; Reply: 10
Macca
Clifton
Hess
Hall-johnson
Vernam

All start next season for me, Vernam is so dangerous going forward
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, April 22, 2019, 3:44pm; Reply: 11
hess playing really well breaking play up and running his balderdash of making good tackles need him for next season
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 12
Not bad, good to see us not hoofing it up today. Defence looks pretty solid (Still Ring not good enough woefully slow with little positional sense). Lack of cutting edge but keep doing what were doing and one of those throughballs/crosses will land at our feet in the box.
Posted by: buckstown, April 22, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 13
Well I've just come in from pulling weeds out of the driveway. Can hardly summon the effort to be apathetic but that sounds a bit more encouraging
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 14
Strange what happens when we don't play our two oldest and slowest players. We're playing with some energy, pressing high, playing with freedom. RHJ, Hess, Rose and Vernam are standing out for me. Dennis isn't the sort of striker to be played up top on his own.

Only real negative is Ring when hes defending hes been caught out a few times.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 22, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 15
Am I the only one that thinks this is poor from both sides.
Posted by: buckstown, April 22, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 16
Skybet were offering 7/1 for town to win and both teams to score. Not a maths or betting expert but I believe that means we have to score two in one game. Might have been tempted by 33/1
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 22, 2019, 4:13pm; Reply: 17
Every player hates playing against opponents with pace, usually that means someone below 30 years of age.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:18pm; Reply: 18
Why are we bringing Wolly on
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 19
Ring off for Woolly, RHJ or Hendrie to left back I would suspect
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:30pm; Reply: 20
I want us to bring Burrell on for Dennis and put him wide and move Rose central. Give the young lad a run around and something new for Carlisle to worry about.
Posted by: denni266, April 22, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 21
scumthorpe are 4-0 down
Posted by: TAGG, April 22, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 22
Since Pringle went we have no one who can take corners and free kicks or cross a ball šŸ˜¤šŸ˜¤šŸ˜¤
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 22, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 23
I just want us to score a goal.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 22, 2019, 4:39pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
I just want us to score a goal more than them.

Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:45pm; Reply: 25
Lovely effort from Hendrie there. Like most of the season we're just missing that little bit of luck and extra skill in the final 3rd
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 26
GREYSON!!!
Posted by: Hagrid, April 22, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 27
What a goal!!!!!!ā€™
Posted by: Teesknees, April 22, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 28
Shut that door!
Posted by: sydney, April 22, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 29
Might shut u doom mongers up šŸ˜šŸ˜
Come on Town
Posted by: buckstown, April 22, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Hagrid
What a goal!!!!!!ā€™

I've corrected the grammar for you
What???!!!!! A goal??
Posted by: 139881 (Guest), April 22, 2019, 4:50pm; Reply: 31
GET IN
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 22, 2019, 4:51pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Teesknees
Shut that door!

Isla more of that!
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 4:56pm; Reply: 33
Fully deserved win today. Carlisle weren't in it today but they made it hard for us.
Posted by: TAGG, April 22, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 34
Good hard working win UTM šŸ‘šŸ»
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 22, 2019, 4:58pm; Reply: 35
Well done lads be a bit quite on here now lol
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 22, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 36
Much better line-up and a better result!
Posted by: HistonMariner, April 22, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 37
Is it now time to give MJ a thee year contract.............?

UTMM.
Posted by: denni266, April 22, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 38
Dont think many of us thought we would get a win today
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 22, 2019, 5:01pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from HistonMariner
Is it now time to give MJ a thee year contract.............?

UTMM.

I know he's a Yorkie but they don't all do 'theeing and thouing' any more.
Posted by: Bigdog, April 22, 2019, 5:03pm; Reply: 40
Central defence on the front foot, played very well and smothered their forwards.

Hess and Clifton best two central midfielders on the park. When was the last time we could say about our midfield being better than our opponents?

Nearly 90 minutes under Ahkeem's belt.

And Vernam rounds off a good performance with a superb cross for the winner.

Not a great game and plenty still to work on, but a bit of progression and a noticeable improvement in how quickly we won the ball back with younger and quicker players on the pitch.
Posted by: hampshiremariner, April 22, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 41
What a relief. Nice when that one went in. We are usually on the end of last minute goals. Looking upwards now.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 22, 2019, 5:10pm; Reply: 42
Not getting carried away, but that was better, not great, just better
Defence did it's job, macca didn't make a save I don't think?

Hess is a league 1 player, simple as that
Clifton back to how we remember
Vernam on his day, is a joy to watch, one of them players that gets you excited when he has the ball

Rose did well
Dennis anonymous, but that's the kind of striker he is, reminds me of Amond, if we had a creative midfielder he would do better than he is doing.

Easy to say why are we not getting the youngsters on, but would he get this reaction if we lost 1-0, but brought on 3 youth players? Nope, he has a job to keep at the end of the day.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, April 22, 2019, 5:15pm; Reply: 43
We did a great job of closing down higher up the pitch, thank goodness Collins is on a 2 match ban.
Was worried we hit the Parslow point when he brought Pollock on. Need to put out same 11, poss Grayson for Ring at Notts C.
Hess Clifton Vernam played well, Rose decent, but Davies/Whitmore pairing totally solid and dealt with everything that got near the pen area and I dont think Whitmore lost a header or tackle all game.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 22, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 44
I watched the first 65 minutes on ifollow before I had to work and thought we worked harder, didn't look too improved in the first half but came out really strongly in the second half and was enjoying watching. Vernams improving with the game time think he can be just as good as Embleton was in the first half of the season
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, April 22, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Not getting carried away, but that was better, not great, just better
Defence did it's job, macca didn't make a save I don't think?

Hess is a league 1 player, simple as that
Clifton back to how we remember
Vernam on his day, is a joy to watch, one of them players that gets you excited when he has the ball

Rose did well
Dennis anonymous, but that's the kind of striker he is, reminds me of Amond, if we had a creative midfielder he would do better than he is doing.

Easy to say why are we not getting the youngsters on, but would he get this reaction if we lost 1-0, but brought on 3 youth players? Nope, he has a job to keep at the end of the day.

Apart from brilliant one handed save at start of second

Posted by: toontown, April 22, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 46
Much improved (not hard) and thoroughly entertaining game as both sides went all out for the win.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, April 22, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Apart from brilliant one handed save at start of second

Yeah, you're spot on there actually
Posted by: hheh2, April 22, 2019, 5:58pm; Reply: 48
Just seen the score good win! Is it just a coincidence that without Collins in we don't leak goals  :P UTM
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 22, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 49
We've done the double over a team who would have been fairly secure in the play off positions now had they done what a lot of other teams have done to us this season.
Posted by: Hagrid, April 22, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 50
Have to disagree Jarmo, thought clifton was poor. Distribution was woeful today. Iā€™ll take the win, lots to build on with a very young side out there today
Posted by: moosey_club, April 22, 2019, 6:37pm; Reply: 51
Well for me a very competent performance all round.. a return to what I saw as a 4-5-1 and every player looked more comfortable with it...apart from Dennis who for all his hard work and occasional nice lay offs just isn't a man to lead the line in that role.....not a criticism of him it's just not his game...
Bright start...players getting shots off early and high pressing.
Back line dominant....midfield dominant...still just light up front but in all other aspects we looked more like a team pushing for play offs.
Great to grab a late goal as it was looking a nailed on 0-0.....could have even made it 2-0 on the counter late on.
Inconcistancy has done us which is the most frustrating thing when they put a performance in like today.
Posted by: golfer, April 22, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Hagrid
Have to disagree Jarmo, thought clifton was poor. Distribution was woeful today. Iā€™ll take the win, lots to build on with a very young side out there today

Agree-thought Cliftons free kicks and corners were very poor. Ring played better than usual-Dennis now knows why Thomas got pssed off.Vernham getting better but must get his head up and learn when to pass. Rose's best game yet. 2 centre halves star men. Better all round performance
Posted by: Bigdog, April 22, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from golfer

Agree-thought Cliftons free kicks and corners were very poor. Ring played better than usual-Dennis now knows why Thomas got pssed off.Vernham getting better but must get his head up and learn when to pass. Rose's best game yet. 2 centre halves star men. Better all round performance

Have to agree along with some of his distribution, but his work rate off the ball and winning the ball back time and time again more than made up for those misgivings when looking at his all-round performance..
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 22, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 54
Itā€™s a win and an energetic performance. Maybe it tells us more about the players who didnā€™t play today than the ones who did.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 55
Did I really hear MJ use the term ā€œfinal third entriesā€ on Radio Humberside? Next time Matt Dean interviews him can he ask him if he thinks heā€™s a chilled out entertainer?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 56
Decent enough overall performance and a good result. Very little in the way of quality in the opposition half. But right at the end finally someone (Vernam) put a good cross in and someone (Grayson) gambled and made a good run to the back post and we scored.

I find it quite depressing that such an average team who weā€™ve beaten twice are 9th and still In with a shout of the playoffs and weā€™re way down in 17th.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, April 22, 2019, 7:47pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Bigdog

Have to agree along with some of his distribution, but his work rate off the ball and winning the ball back time and time again more than made up for those misgivings when looking at his all-round performance..

When we first signed Joe Waters he was the all-action player a bit like Clifton can be but Joeā€™s passing could be woeful in those early days. In fact we used to stand in the Barratt and count how many passes he made to a B&W shirt and it was sometimes less than one in 45 minutes. But like you say with Clifton, Waters more than made up for it. Over the years Joe never became a killer passer of a football but he got a lot better and the crowd loved him for the other aspects of his game that made him a BP legend. Perhaps we shall see Clifton develop this way.

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, April 22, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 58
Itā€™s a win and an energetic performance. Maybe it tells us more about the players who didnā€™t play today than the ones who did.

Absolutely, which makes MJs post match all the more odd as he kept banging on about the '7' players we are missing.

He must be talking about Collins, Ohman, Whitehouse, Embleton, Cardwell, Cook and Thomas. A couple of those appear highly unlikely to be here next year (Thomas and Embleton) and of those left I would only say Ohman and possibly (who knows) Whitehouse would really improve upon what was out there today.
Posted by: sydney, April 22, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 59
Well Said Swansea
Agree
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 8:34pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Absolutely, which makes MJs post match all the more odd as he kept banging on about the '7' players we are missing.

He must be talking about Collins, Ohman, Whitehouse, Embleton, Cardwell, Cook and Thomas. A couple of those appear highly unlikely to be here next year (Thomas and Embleton) and of those left I would only say Ohman and possibly (who knows) Whitehouse would really improve upon what was out there today.

Donā€™t know whether itā€™s true, but was told today that Danny Collins will not play for Town again.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 22, 2019, 8:51pm; Reply: 61

Just my opinion but Dennis has been a bit of a disappointment for me, we can sign better for next season.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 22, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 62
Quite a bit on here re Cliftonā€™s game today personally sone of his play illustrated his lack of experience and development areas but he seemed to compensate with his work rate and play his way back into the game towards the end. Heā€™s a young lad and just needs a consistent partner for a run of games.

Thought the lads did well today and putting Hendrie in midfield certainly gave us more balance. A word as well for Whitmore who despite being in and out most of the season came in and did really well.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, April 22, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Donā€™t know whether itā€™s true, but was told today that Danny Collins will not play for Town again.

God I hope not, you could see we were a further 10 yards up the pitch today...
I was very much a fan of Collins until this season, would rather have had him as a defensive coach but on the playing staff as an emergency back up if required, in the same vein as Sam Russel...
Posted by: Bigdog, April 22, 2019, 8:58pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from promotion plaice

Just my opinion but Dennis has been a bit of a disappointment for me, we can sign better for next season.

Dunno PP. I like him. We haven't really provided him with the bullets have we? Like his movement in the final third even though he doesn't receive the ball too often and I like the way he shoots with very little backlift and he normally hits the target. Looks an intelligent natural finisher to me with a decent first touch and if we can find the missing pieces behind and alongside him, I'm confident he could be the 20+ goal a season striker that we've all craved for since Omar left. Very hard to write him off with how we've been playing and better assessed imagining him in a (hopefully) stronger team..
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

God I hope not, you could see we were a further 10 yards up the pitch today...
I was very much a fan of Collins until this season, would rather have had him as a defensive coach but on the playing staff as an emergency back up if required, in the same vein as Sam Russel...

If what I was told is true there is zero chance of him staying in any role under the current regime.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 22, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from Bigdog

Dunno PP. I like him. We haven't really provided him with the bullets have we? Like his movement in the final third even though he doesn't receive the ball too often and I like the way he shoots with very little backlift and he normally hits the target. Looks an intelligent natural finisher to me with a decent first touch and if we can find the missing pieces behind and alongside him, I'm confident he could be the 20+ goal a season striker that we've all craved for since Omar left. Very hard to write him off with how we've been playing and better assessed imagining him in a (hopefully) stronger team..

Fair points.....I'll not write him off yet then....he might not be playing for us next season anyway.

Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 22, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 67
I think a front 3 that includes Dennis and Vernam backed by a better midfield and a decent left back would cause a serious problem for many defenders in this league. I like Akheem bu heā€™s only an impact player at present, I just hope that wages saved on Pringle, Rose, Welsh, Thomas etc are spent on next season.
Posted by: MarinerMart, April 22, 2019, 9:11pm; Reply: 68
Sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong but is Dennis allowed to play against County as we have loaned him from them?
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 22, 2019, 9:14pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from MarinerMart
Sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong but is Dennis allowed to play against County as we have loaned him from them?

He might not even be available, didn't look too good when he went off.

Posted by: Hagrid, April 22, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 70
No he cant play
Posted by: Meza, April 22, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 71
There are some good players in non league, such as Blair Turgott, Bernard Mensah and Mark Beck all worth a punt in my eyes.
Print page generated: May 2, 2024, 12:33am