Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 22, 2019, 1:48pm
...currently sit in the bottom four as Southend lead Burton Albion 1-0. If it stays that way they're going to need an away win at Charlton to move out of the relegation spot. Just don't see that happening.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 2:26pm; Reply: 1
Scunthorpe are the last club we want down in League 2 next season. Their owner bankrolled then to an £8m operating loss last season & £6.5m the season before. And it will probably be more this season as they spent heavily in January.

We all know it’s completely impossible for GTFC to compete with a club who spends £1 more than us let alone Scunny with a £10m wage bill.
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 22, 2019, 2:40pm; Reply: 2
They play Plymouth away last game of the season which could be a real relegation decider. I suppose people only throw so much money at a project until they see the diminishing returns they're getting though?
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 22, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 3
I understand Swann was hoping to not be putting as much money in this year, but they were doing crap so in January he had to spend to bring in X number of players, think they could be on their third manager this season. I hope they do come down in complete chaos with Swann looking to get out.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 22, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 4
intercourse scunny
Posted by: kamakazebear, April 22, 2019, 4:52pm; Reply: 5
Kind of hope they stay up, cant be arsed with being humiliated by another rival
Posted by: golfer, April 22, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 6
If he gets fed up he might want to invest 30 miles away
Posted by: grimsby pete, April 22, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 7
I can remember when we went non league there was loads of scunts coming on here gloating,

Well see how they like it when they drop through the trapdoor two seasons running. 8)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, April 22, 2019, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Come on bring them down !! Prefer a scunny away than Lincoln away
Posted by: jimgtfc, April 22, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 9
Hope they come down, can have a proper derby game then, non of this plastic derby shite
Posted by: Poojah, April 22, 2019, 6:51pm; Reply: 10
I’d be getting a tad nervous right now if I was a Scunny fan. I remember this article from last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

In 2016/17 Scunny were the fourth biggest overspenders in the top 4 divisions, spending 145% of turnover on wages. Just let that sink in for a second; 145% of turnover, not profit, on staff costs alone. That’s before taking into account every other running cost of the football club. Imagine that in any other business outside of the world of football.

Incidentally, the biggest overspenders were Bolton, at only 8% more than Scunny. How are things shaping up for them right now?

There are clubs that have rolled the dice like that before and come out the other side successfully, Bournemouth probably the best example. But for every Bournemouth there’s a Bolton, a Pompey, a Darlington...and a Scunthorpe?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 22, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Poojah
I’d be getting a tad nervous right now if I was a Scunny fan. I remember this article from last year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

In 2016/17 Scunny were the fourth biggest overspenders in the top 4 divisions, spending 145% of turnover on wages. Just let that sink in for a second; 145% of turnover, not profit, on staff costs alone. That’s before taking into account every other running cost of the football club. Imagine that in any other business outside of the world of football.

Incidentally, the biggest overspenders were Bolton, at only 8% more than Scunny. How are things shaping up for them right now?

There are clubs that have rolled the dice like that before and come out the other side successfully, Bournemouth probably the best example. But for every Bournemouth there’s a Bolton, a Pompey, a Darlington...and a Scunthorpe?

I’m sure he won’t leave Scunthorpe for a bigger club. I mean, he definitely doesn’t have previous form for that does he?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 22, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 12
Seen another of his vanity projects at fairly close quarters (horses), strikes me as a kid in a sweet shop. He’s spending his way through the Wilko family fortune without much idea about how to run a football club. It might shock some to hear it, but give me Fenty any day.
Posted by: RoboCod, April 22, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Seen another of his vanity projects at fairly close quarters (horses), strikes me as a kid in a sweet shop. He’s spending his way through the Wilko family fortune without much idea about how to run a football club. It might shock some to hear it, but give me Fenty any day.

Fenty made his owm money, tbf. Swann just borrows the purse off the missus to spend on his projects when he'd be better off making miniature ships in bottles in his study.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 22, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from RoboCod

Fenty made his owm money, tbf. Swann just borrows the purse off the missus to spend on his projects when he'd be better off making miniature ships in bottles in his study.

Wish Mrs Codger had a purse that full!
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 22, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 15
So as Swann has been covering scunny's costs for the last few seasons, and its obvious they have spent more than they've taken in, does anyone know if he expects his money back, we could call them"benign" or has he just written them off.
Posted by: RoboCod, April 22, 2019, 8:49pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Wish Mrs Codger had a purse that full!

Worry not,  Amazon has some inexpensive miniature ships in bottles Codger!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, April 22, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 17
Swann threw his toys out of his pram at Gainsborough when he couldn't own the ground. If they do come down I would not be surprised to see them drop again.

They have a must win game against Bradford on Saturday now. Please Bradford, bring them down with you!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 22, 2019, 8:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from RoboCod

Worry not,  Amazon has some inexpensive miniature ships in bottles Codger!

Maybe the board should source inexpensive footballers on Amazon? 🤗🤗🤗
Posted by: RoboCod, April 22, 2019, 10:09pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Maybe the board should source inexpensive footballers on Amazon? 🤗🤗🤗

Make a nice change to get players in their Prime(thumbup)
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 22, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from RoboCod

Make a nice change to get players in their Prime(thumbup)

Just be our luck for us to have ours delivered to our neighbours!
Posted by: Helgy, April 22, 2019, 11:17pm; Reply: 21
Swann's misses now involved at Scunny no doubt wants to see where the money is going.
Putting in 300k a month just think if crowds increased by 50% then that’s down to £150k a month.
Surprised other clubs don’t study the Lincoln model more.
Posted by: mimma, April 23, 2019, 12:07am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Gaffer58
So as Swann has been covering scunny's costs for the last few seasons, and its obvious they have spent more than they've taken in, does anyone know if he expects his money back, we could call them"benign" or has he just written them off.

Interesting point Gaffa. I was wondering the same. Does anybody know the full extent of how much he has put in and what he expects to happen to it? Bet it's a dam sight more that the £2 million that JF has put into Town that's for sure.What's happening to their ground improvement / new stadium? Has that gone mammaries up as well? If I was a scunny fan I would be very worried.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 23, 2019, 12:18am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Gaffer58

Exactly

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 23, 2019, 10:31am; Reply: 24
Quoted from Helgy
Swann's misses now involved at Scunny no doubt wants to see where the money is going.
Putting in 300k a month just think if crowds increased by 50% then that’s down to £150k a month.
Surprised other clubs don’t study the Lincoln model more.

There is no Lincoln model for financing a football club. Lincoln are simply living within their means and investing in the future whilst doing so.

You can't pre-plan the way Lincoln have generated funds over the past 3 years. Despite your league success the "extra" money has come from cup runs.

It's very prudent that Lincoln have used the money generated to build a training ground and are putting plans in place for a new stadium, but to suggest that this method is unique is wrong.

Lincoln are living within their means, but the increase in & way Lincoln's means have increased is not an option that can be replicated as a one size fits all solution for all clubs.

But little things that Lincoln do can be replicated. From where I stand supporters are looked after, listened to and certainly not taken for granted.

I drove home through Lincoln after yesterday's match. Because of Lincoln's celebrations I saw a large amount of Lincoln fans as I drove down Canwick Road and on to Bracebridge Heath. The thing that struck me was how many families I saw walking together. And not just parents & childrens, 3 generations together.

I couldn't tell you about LCFC season ticket prices over the past 3 seasons, but I would be amazed if LCFC went down the GTFC route and increased kids season tickets by 40% when they got promoted to the EFL like we did.

Yesterday summed it up for me. A lovely day. Reduced ticket prices..And only 3,300 or so GTFC fans bothered.

I would love GTFC to be proactive with getting fans in. Yesterday's example was reactive to the guff that had been served up over the season. But it was too little, too late.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 23, 2019, 11:05am; Reply: 25
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Yesterday summed it up for me. A lovely day. Reduced ticket prices..And only 3,300 or so GTFC fans bothered.

I would love GTFC to be proactive with getting fans in. Yesterday's example was reactive to the guff that had been served up over the season. But it was too little, too late.

You can put all the offers in the world in place but if the general PR has been run down over several years and the team are playing dull football, not scoring goals and havn't won in 10 games then people arent going to be bothered on a gloriously sunny bank holiday.

Look at Lincoln.....In the last 3 league campaigns they have only lost 23 games in total....they have scored 210 goals....(so far) and thats without factoring the extra feel good cup runs they have had, both FA Cup and winning the Checkatrade (as much maligned as it is as a competition they still won it).  With figures like that it should be pretty simple to fill the ground but i certainly dont think they have rested on their laurels with that .....i am pretty certain if we had been half as succesful as that our prices would have risen and our glorious leader would just expect people to come.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 23, 2019, 11:24am; Reply: 26
I wonder how much effect the obsolete way we sell tickets contribute to our attendances. It hasn't changed in 25 years has it? I know you can buy online, but the process is still the same as when you had to phone up. You aren't guaranteed the seat you ask for and you don't find out what seat you have until you pick them up.

How many other EFL clubs don't have online pick your seat ticket sales. I know Scunny do. Notts County do. Lincoln outsources to Eventbrite so that they could offer the same.

We on the other hand are still using the same system we have used for donkeys years.

And Season Tickets. Still not on sale for next season.

We're so backwards in everything we do.
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 23, 2019, 11:27am; Reply: 27
Quoted from GollyGTFC

In retrospect, that's probably not such a bad thing.

However, pick your seat etc really shouldn't be an issue for us.  

Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 23, 2019, 11:31am; Reply: 28
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I wonder how much effect the obsolete way we sell tickets contribute to our attendances. It hasn't changed in 25 years has it? I know you can buy online, but the process is still the same as when you had to phone up. You aren't guaranteed the seat you ask for and you don't find out what seat you have until you pick them up.

How many other EFL clubs don't have online pick your seat ticket sales. I know Scunny do. Notts County do. Lincoln outsources to Eventbrite so that they could offer the same.

We on the other hand are still using the same system we have used for donkeys years.

We're so backwards in everything we do.

Trust me this message has been sent to the Club directly numerous times and nobody wants to know. The Season ticket sales last 3 year`s are the best in the Clubs history so why change anything is what comes back from them. If only we had the Lincoln attitude and wanted to change the 3k to 5k eh Golly I mean just how feckin difficult is it to have some ambition and drive?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 23, 2019, 11:48am; Reply: 29
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Trust me this message has been sent to the Club directly numerous times and nobody wants to know. The Season ticket sales last 3 year`s are the best in the Clubs history so why change anything is what comes back from them. If only we had the Lincoln attitude and wanted to change the 3k to 5k eh Golly I mean just how feckin difficult is it to have some ambition and drive?

Back in the Conference days I bought tickets for Barnet away on the Barnet website. I printed them myself at home. So easy. A similar system would pay for itself in no time in saving money having to buy physical tickets from a printers.

And season ticket/membership cards? After the initial cost of installation it would save a fortune. Charge an initial admin fee for a card and then people could use them forever. You could even offer them to non-STHs who could buy individual match tickets online and upload them on to their card. It would also help with lost season tickets- all the club would have to do is cancel the card from the system and charge the STH to buy a new card. Would stop the club shop getting clogged up on match days with people picking up tickets.

I bet all of those could be installed for less up front cost than the £200k the club repaid to Fenty last season.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Back in the Conference days I bought tickets for Barnet away on the Barnet website. I printed them myself at home. So easy. A similar system would pay for itself in no time in saving money having to buy physical tickets from a printers.

And season ticket/membership cards? After the initial cost of installation it would save a fortune. Charge an initial admin fee for a card and then people could use them forever. You could even offer them to non-STHs who could buy individual match tickets online and upload them on to their card. It would also help with lost season tickets- all the club would have to do is cancel the card from the system and charge the STH to buy a new card. Would stop the club shop getting clogged up on match days with people picking up tickets.

I bet all of those could be installed for less up front cost than the £200k the club repaid to Fenty last season.

Would probably save on staff costs too.

Membership cards could also be used for a loyalty scheme (the more you build up the more priority you get for tickets for big cup games).

Do away with this nonsense about charging ST holders £12 to change the seat.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 23, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 31
We all know Lincoln have had increased attendances and a couple of cup runs to increase revenue but I thought I read/ heard that around Christmas ( maybe for January's transfer window) one of their directors put in another £300k, again don't know if there's a pay back or if it was just a gift, over the last 10 years what have our complete board put into GTFC apart from covering any season loses.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 6:58pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Gaffer58
We all know Lincoln have had increased attendances and a couple of cup runs to increase revenue but I thought I read/ heard that around Christmas ( maybe for January's transfer window) one of their directors put in another £300k, again don't know if there's a pay back or if it was just a gift, over the last 10 years what have our complete board put into GTFC apart from covering any season loses.

Losses have just added to the debt. So our board haven't put anything in for years. Except for the Trust.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 23, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Losses have just added to the debt. So our board haven't put anything in for years. Except for the Trust.

It is a good job we have their expertise to fall back on then. ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 34

It is a good job we have their expertise to fall back on then. ;D

Could hardly do a worse job than the Gang of Four.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 23, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 35
Scunny drop to 3rd bottom after Wimbledon get a great last minute draw at Luton.
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 23, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Abdul19
Scunny drop to 3rd bottom after Wimbledon get a great last minute draw at Luton.

Heh heh  8)
Posted by: RoboCod, April 23, 2019, 10:08pm; Reply: 37
Super win for Accy at Doncaster too.

* makes them just about safe*
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 23, 2019, 10:30pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Abdul19

Aye. Chuffed for the Dons. As well as dropping Scunny deeper in it.
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, April 24, 2019, 1:31pm; Reply: 39
Lincoln and possibly Mansfield potentially being swapped for scunny and Bradford as local matches is a brilliant swap for our fixture list
Posted by: Hagrid, April 24, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 40
Lincoln and possibly Mansfield potentially being swapped for scunny and Bradford as local matches is a brilliant swap for our fixture list

likely losing notts too in which case i hope harrogate come up for location purposes!
Posted by: immariner, April 24, 2019, 3:12pm; Reply: 41
Scunny couldn't ask for a better set of fixtures than Bradford and Plymouth. Looking at the permutations, if they beat Bradford (which they'll be expecting to do) and Plymouth don't get a win at Accrington, it is likely they will probably only need to avoid defeat at Plymouth on the last day to stay up. However, they can barely buy a goal at the minute and if Plymouth, Southend and Walsall all get results on Saturday, they could possibly have to go to Plymouth and win, especially because of their poor goal difference. I have them and Southend to go down.
Posted by: Helgy, April 24, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 42
GollyGTFC
Have been involved in it all the connection between the fans and club were started before the Cowleys they just made things a hell of lot easier.
We have done a lot of unique fundraising that no one else has done.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 24, 2019, 4:15pm; Reply: 43
Helgy, we do a lot of unique fund-raising as well - that nobody else does.  

Apart from the Trust’s admirable efforts, we don’t do anything.  No one can match that.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 24, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 44
If Bradford have a decent season hen when we play them at home hopefully they will sell out the Osmond, Kerr-Ching, also I heard it mentioned on the telly that they have sold 13k season tickets for next season already.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, April 24, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Gaffer58
If Bradford have a decent season hen when we play them at home hopefully they will sell out the Osmond, Kerr-Ching, also I heard it mentioned on the telly that they have sold 13k season tickets for next season already.

Looks like Bradford are looking at their relegation as an opportunity to rebuild their fan base. Maybe we should’ve thought of this, we’ve had plenty of relegations.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 25, 2019, 12:44am; Reply: 46
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Helgy, we do a lot of unique fund-raising as well - that nobody else does.  

Apart from the Trust’s admirable efforts, we don’t do anything.  No one can match that.

I seem to remember a sneering accountant telling us it acheived nothing. But I probably dreamt that one night when I had a fever. No club director in his right mind would talk to his key stakeholders like that would he?
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 25, 2019, 6:41am; Reply: 47

I seem to remember a sneering accountant telling us it acheived nothing. But I probably dreamt that one night when I had a fever. No club director in his right mind would talk to his key stakeholders like that would he?

Believe this or not the MT quite like him described more or less to me the best of a bad bunch :-/
Posted by: WesternMariner, April 25, 2019, 6:54am; Reply: 48
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Believe this or not the MT quite like him described more or less to me the best of a bad bunch :-/

I always thought the same about Herman Goering.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 25, 2019, 8:04am; Reply: 49
Quoted from WesternMariner

I always thought the same about Herman Goering.

Possibly the greatest thief who ever lived amongst other things Mr Goering.
Posted by: Biccys, April 25, 2019, 10:55am; Reply: 50
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Looks like Bradford are looking at their relegation as an opportunity to rebuild their fan base. Maybe we should’ve thought of this, we’ve had plenty of relegations.

If we'd done this we would be having a stadium like the new Spurs one, and filling it....!
Posted by: nealeardleyscrossing, April 25, 2019, 11:10am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Biccys

If we'd done this we would be having a stadium like the new Spurs one, and filling it....!

Bradford have done this for years - Selling season tickets for 100/199 so they always sell them well. I think if them and Scunny come down they will be big hitters in L2 - They will spend, and Bradford will be well supported too.

Posted by: Son of Cod, April 25, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 52

I'd rather keep Mansfield than Bradford. Those Bradford away matches at a one third full Valley Parade in the seasons we were scrambling around at the bottom of L2 before going down were painful. At least we get close to filling the away end at Field Mill and have seen some decent matches there.
Posted by: Helgy, April 25, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 53
Nealerdleyscrossing

Yep Bradford did sell the ST for that but then always ran out of money at Xmas and had to do that again.
Their directors were then stuck with it , definitely not a good model.

Funniest is Mansfield most important game in years against Stevenage & they can’t fill their two stands and are letting in fans for free.
The other week they had 1st 50 fans in won a claw hammer , jeez who dies their marketing!!!
Posted by: RonMariner, April 27, 2019, 7:45pm; Reply: 54
Dreadful result for them today.  They now have one foot in L2.

They are definitely relegated if they don't win at Plymouth next week. However Plymouth have lost five on the bounce so they may pull it off.

Even if they win that game they go down if either Southend win, or Walsall win (assuming Scunts don't win by 9 goals more!). And assuming there is not a 9 goal turnaround in GD with AFC Wimbledon.

So they must win and hope both Southend and Walsall lose. It's highly likely that Southend will drop points at home to Sunderland, and Walsall have to travel to Shrewsbury and could easily drop points there.

So their game at Plymouth is almost a play off final. Winner probably stays up. Interesting.  
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 27, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 55
I think they’ll stay up. And it sickens me.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 27, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from marinerdazza
I think they’ll stay up. And it sickens me.

I think that if they beat Plymouth they most probably will.
Posted by: chaos33, April 27, 2019, 11:04pm; Reply: 57
I don't think they'll stay up. They are as good as down ....
Posted by: marinerdazza, April 27, 2019, 11:09pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from chaos33
I don't think they'll stay up. They are as good as down ....

I really hope you’re right.
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 28, 2019, 2:13am; Reply: 59
As the lads in the bar at County at half time sang.

Scunnys going down like a Russian Submarine.

Posted by: Marinerz93, April 28, 2019, 4:10pm; Reply: 60
[img]https://i.imgur.com/95t6ni6.gif[/img]

So if/when the Scunts drop into league 2 we'll still be the best looking supporters of any club in Lincs, below is fanny64 allegedly the best looking Scunt from the 5 village ironing town.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/WZGGB7L.gif[/img]
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 28, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Marinerz93

Bloody hell, for one quick minute I thought it was the wife.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 29, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from immariner
Scunny couldn't ask for a better set of fixtures than Bradford and Plymouth.

The Bradford game didn't turn out so well for them.... :)

Posted by: Gaffer58, April 30, 2019, 10:07am; Reply: 63
I really love Plymouth as a club, after Town they are my number one team to support and would quite happily get a tattoo. Ok, bit over the top but I hope they give scunny a right good spanking on Saturday.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 30, 2019, 10:24am; Reply: 64
It's actually quite hard for Scunny to stay up.

They are relegated if:

They lose or draw against Plymouth.

or

Southend beat Sunderland

or

Walsall beat Shrewsbury.

They've got to get 3 results to go their way and while Sunderland will probably beat Southend, the other 2 are decidedly dicey.

Shrewsbury have nothing to play for and Sunderland might want to rest players for the play offs.
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 30, 2019, 11:27am; Reply: 65
I would imagine that's a given that Sunderland will rest players for that game. Looks better every day now.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 30, 2019, 11:37am; Reply: 66
Quoted from jock dock tower
I would imagine that's a given that Sunderland will rest players for that game. Looks better every day now.

Depends what happens tonight. If they win their game in hand they could still have a chance of automatic promotion if Barnsley intercourse it up on the last day. Pompey have a game in hand too so the top of League One is still very much in the balance.
Posted by: wuffing, April 30, 2019, 11:41am; Reply: 67
It's looking like nearly time for the Scunny to get their buckets and spades out and brush up their lyrics of the old classic: 'oh I do like to be beside the seaside.' 8)
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 30, 2019, 11:44am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Les Brechin

Depends what happens tonight. If they win their game in hand they could still have a chance of automatic promotion if Barnsley intercourse it up on the last day. Pompey have a game in hand too so the top of League One is still very much in the balance.

Yeah, it's been a great battle at the top of that division. 4 or 5 really strong teams up there. Sunderland will need a bit of a big goal swing to get automatic though. Seems crazy that Luton haven't been crowned champions yet, too. Got a feeling Charlton will sneak up in the playoffs.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, April 30, 2019, 12:27pm; Reply: 69
One word of caution here folks BOLTON what actually happens if all their results get expunged to the rest of the leagues etc?
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, April 30, 2019, 1:07pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from 1mickylyons
One word of caution here folks BOLTON what actually happens if all their results get expunged to the rest of the leagues etc?

Don't think that will happen, I think policy is for the two remaining games to be awarded 3-0 to the opposition, would cause way too much trouble if all their results were expunged.
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 30, 2019, 1:13pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yeah, it's been a great battle at the top of that division. 4 or 5 really strong teams up there. Sunderland will need a bit of a big goal swing to get automatic though. Seems crazy that Luton haven't been crowned champions yet, too. Got a feeling Charlton will sneak up in the playoffs.

Yeah, a 3 or 4 goal win tonight would make the last day really interesting.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, April 30, 2019, 3:13pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I suppose Scunny could stay up if Bolton go under, by finishing 4th bottom. But even then they'd still need to beat Plymouth and hope that both Walsall and Southend don't win.
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 1, 2019, 7:14am; Reply: 73
I see that BOTH Sunderland and Pompey lost their games in hand last night, so neither can now get automatic promotion as they can't now catch Luton or Barnsley. Sunderland may still want to win their last game though as it'll mean they'll be at home in the 2nd leg of the play-offs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 1, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin
I see that BOTH Sunderland and Pompey lost their games in hand last night, so neither can now get automatic promotion as they can't now catch Luton or Barnsley. Sunderland may still want to win their last game though as it'll mean they'll be at home in the 2nd leg of the play-offs.

Saw that last night. It made me smile. If they don't go up at least they'll be able to enjoy watching their first teams compete in the Checkatwat Trophy again.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 75

Plymouth v Scunny .....just kicked off  (17.30)

I'm listening to it on radio Hullberside

Scunny have to win and rely on other results......come on Plymouth
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 76

Plymouth 1-0 Scunny   ;D
Posted by: supertown, May 4, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 77
😃
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 4, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 78
2-0 Get in Plymouth
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 6:06pm; Reply: 79

Plymouth 2-0 Scunny   ;D
Posted by: bigbadmarinerbob, May 4, 2019, 6:11pm; Reply: 80
Can I be the first one to welcome scunny to league 2  ;D
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 4, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 81
2-1 booooo
Posted by: forza ivano, May 4, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from bigbadmarinerbob
Can I be the first one to welcome scunny to league 2  ;D

Post of the week!
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, May 4, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 83
Baby born Thursday
Get a delivery of beer
Scunts go down

Pretty fantastic week!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 6:50pm; Reply: 84

2-2  I think  
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 85

Controversial 2nd goal for Scunny.....Plymouth fans..."you dirty Yorkshire b@stards"   8)
Posted by: LH, May 4, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 86
I might be in a minority but I hope they win. And still go down.
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 4, 2019, 6:59pm; Reply: 87
That Scunny goal is an absolute disgrace
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), May 4, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 88
Cheating Scum!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 4, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from promotion plaice

Controversial 2nd goal for Scunny.....Plymouth fans..."you dirty Yorkshire b@stards"   8)

Controversial - that is an understatement!

Scunny scored when the keeper threw the ball out when he was injured. Went to ground as he couldnt stand up. Scunny player stops it going out and chips the prostrate keeper; they then refuse to let Plymouth go up the other end to score unimpeded.

Like Leeds last week but without the sportsmanship.

3-2 Plymouth now anyway.
Posted by: LH, May 4, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 90
It’s a girl private’s trick but if Town scored one of them we’d all be sat there smugly grinning wouldn’t we (under the circumstances)? A draw isn’t good enough to keep them up anyway. Green army!
Posted by: CodHead, May 4, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 91
Carey
Posted by: SteffiMariner, May 4, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from LH
It’s a girl private’s trick but if Town scored one of them we’d all be sat there smugly grinning wouldn’t we (under the circumstances)? A draw isn’t good enough to keep them up anyway. Green army!

If a Town player did that, I'd hope they'd just give a goal back to the opposition like Leeds did.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 93

Scunthorpe relegated  (clap)
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, May 4, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 94
   ;D  ;D  ;D
Posted by: rancido, May 4, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 95
Hoo-fuc*ing-ray!!!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 4, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 96
C'mon join us scunt..horpe...hello and welcome to league 2, can't wait to take the black n white army to Glumford Park!!
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 4, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 97
Trips to Bratford and Scunny next season, already looking forward to it.
Posted by: rancido, May 4, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
C'mon join us scunt..horpe...hello and welcome to league 2, can't wait to take the black n white army to Glumford Park!!

Glumford Park aka The Bikeshed lol
Posted by: rancido, May 4, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Glumford Park -aka The Bikeshed !!!
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 100

Long trip to Plymouth as well.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 4, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 101
Fuckk scunny
Posted by: Poojah, May 4, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 102
Putting the glee of Scunny’s relegation to one side, I can see some troubled times ahead for them. They’ve pushed the boat out financially the past few years - all well and good when it pays off but potentially disastrous when it doesn’t.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 4, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from Poojah
Putting the glee of Scunny’s relegation to one side, I can see some troubled times ahead for them. They’ve pushed the boat out financially the past few years - all well and good when it pays off but potentially disastrous when it doesn’t.

Still bet they get a new ground before us
Posted by: rancido, May 4, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 104
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Still bet they get a new ground before us

They have already had one!
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, May 4, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 105
This has been an exceptional day all round. Normal service close to being resumed and not before time. UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 106

Hullberside......Town fans on Twitter taking the mickey
Posted by: forza ivano, May 4, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 107
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha fuk me ,I'm going to have a few pints to celebratethis ;D ;D 8) ;D 8)
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2019, 7:51pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from LH

Speak for yourself. I think most fans would say it was a total disgrace.

That was one of the worst examples of bad sportsmanship I have ever seen. I can't believe they wouldn't give the goal back.

Thank god it made no difference to the outcome.
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 4, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 109

If Swann's got any sense he'll jump ship now and buy a bigger club down the M180 (not Donny  :))
Posted by: RonMariner, May 4, 2019, 7:54pm; Reply: 110

If Swann's got any sense he'll jump ship now and buy a bigger club down the M180 (not Donny  :))

Let's hope someone with money to splash does. We are seriously lacking in quality.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 4, 2019, 7:57pm; Reply: 111
All joking aside a past player whose respected and still local is saying a takeover is on the the cards in the summer
Posted by: Bigdog, May 4, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 112
Quoted from rancido

Glumford Park -aka The Bikeshed !!!

Played at both Glanford Park and BP a few times. The changing rooms and facilities at Scunny are light years ahead..
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 4, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 113
All joking aside a past player whose respected and still local is saying a takeover is on the the cards in the summer

Don't be starting this shite again ..let's just enjoy mocking scummy coming down to our level, where they belong after today's fiasco..
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 4, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 114
Andy Cook also coming back with Walsall.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 4, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 115
Two things, I’m told Mrs Swann prefers horse racing to football, and secondly, any team that gets off on scoring a goal like their equaliser deserves everything they get.
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 4, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 116

Town or scunny?
Posted by: TAGG, May 4, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 117
Cheating illegitimates.
Will be an even ge if Hurst ends up there.

https://www.skysports.com/football/plymouth-vs-scunthorpe/393642
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, May 4, 2019, 8:44pm; Reply: 118
Been a long road, the best years in their history and the worst in ours, but here we are back on a level playing field and I'm buzzing for those games next season
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 4, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 119
We’ve not progressed in the last few seasons and in reality have spent very little they’ve spent a lot and have regressed.

IMHO they had a good manager in Alexander but their chairman despite being rich seems to be very impatient.

I’m sure he’ll be on RH on Monday bigging himself up.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 4, 2019, 9:20pm; Reply: 120
Scunny's going down like a Russian submarine..a Russian submarine.. a Russian submarine....
Posted by: marinerdazza, May 4, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 121
I’ve taken the urine out of Swann regularly this year. But on Hullberside he spoke modestly, calmly and sensibly, with a large measure of self deprecation.

That’s where the respect stops for me though.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5f/d4/32/5fd43294a4edec301e5cb2852bd83bdb.gif[/img]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 4, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 122

Brigg Town?

;)
Posted by: moosey_club, May 5, 2019, 1:22am; Reply: 123
Quoted from marinerdazza
I’ve taken the urine out of Swann regularly this year. But on Hullberside he spoke modestly, calmly and sensibly, with a large measure of self deprecation.

That’s where the respect stops for me though.

[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5f/d4/32/5fd43294a4edec301e5cb2852bd83bdb.gif[/img]

Nothing but praise for the man...firstly for appointing this man as the saviour... https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrP4k.nKs5c6T0ARShLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTB0ZTgxN3Q0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=stuart+mccall+falls+off+car&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t#id=6&vid=2e4d58041ea57718280a7e46d460e01a&action=view ....

and then finishing the job off with Andy Dawson

Swann  .... always welcome in Meggies  ;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 5, 2019, 1:47am; Reply: 124
Scumthorpe relegated

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LYDSaps.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/T4xsTXi.gif[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZUNtTuc.gif[/img]

and for fanny64

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ZKTr0Ak.gif[/img]
Posted by: lukeo, May 5, 2019, 5:57am; Reply: 125
I had them to be promoted and cursed them  ;D whos my next victim?
Posted by: supertown, May 5, 2019, 8:12am; Reply: 126
Josh Morris , twit
Posted by: blackandwhitelaces, May 5, 2019, 8:44am; Reply: 127
LOVE it the scum come down, and their departure will be remembered because of THAT goal. Just watched it again and it shows what a bunch of six fingered , inbread cheating cnuts they are
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, May 5, 2019, 8:55am; Reply: 128
Not sporting at all, but let's be fair if a goal like that had kept town up would you have been so sanctimonious
Posted by: Cod Cheeks, May 5, 2019, 9:09am; Reply: 129
Did anyone else hear the guy who rang into RH and said they're back down with bottom feeders Grimsby?
Saddo
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 5, 2019, 9:10am; Reply: 130
Worth considering us and Scunthorpe are probably in for the same pool of players and they will undoubtedly pay more so their relegation could impact ourselves.

A big budget means nothing when you look at Notts County and Chesterfield the last 2 seasons.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 5, 2019, 9:37am; Reply: 131
Quoted from blackandwhitelaces
LOVE it the scum come down, and their departure will be remembered because of THAT goal. Just watched it again and it shows what a bunch of six fingered , inbread cheating cnuts they are

Think it through before being so clever. Rule One for school kids - Play .... To .... The .... Whistle.

If the keeper desperately wanted treatment so badly he could have just signalled to the linesman or referee or called one of his defenders to him or, failing that, thrown the ball behind for a corner. Instead he tried to be too clever and got caught out. More fool him.

I don't support Scunny any more than any other Town fan but this sort of pathetic name calling and thoughtless rubbish ...... lumping together all their fans as cheats just because one player took perfectly fair advantage of stupidity by the Plymouth keeper is not banter, it's just infantile.
Posted by: we will return, May 5, 2019, 9:47am; Reply: 132

Think it through before being so clever. Rule One for school kids - Play .... To .... The .... Whistle.

If the keeper desperately wanted treatment so badly he could have just signalled to the linesman or referee or called one of his defenders to him or, failing that, thrown the ball behind for a corner. Instead he tried to be too clever and got caught out. More fool him.

I don't support Scunny any more than any other Town fan but this sort of pathetic name calling and thoughtless rubbish ...... lumping together all their fans as cheats just because one player took perfectly fair advantage of stupidity by the Plymouth keeper is not banter, it's just infantile.

When has a goalkeeper ever rolled it out of play for a corner!?

At worst, blatant cheating. At best, very unsporting.
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 5, 2019, 10:12am; Reply: 133
So Mr Swann has been in control for about 5 years and in that time invested,loaned or just given them a few millions, granted they got to the championship, but are now back where they were when he arrived, it just shows how at our level how much you need a rich sugar daddy who is basically preferred to lose money.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 5, 2019, 10:17am; Reply: 134
Quoted from we will return

When has a goalkeeper ever rolled it out of play for a corner!?

At worst, blatant cheating. At best, very unsporting.

When has a keeper ever rolled it out for a throw in? That’s even harder. ;)

How can it be cheating to play within the rules? Unsporting is another matter, a matter of opinion not rules.

Posted by: marinerdazza, May 5, 2019, 10:41am; Reply: 135
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
Did anyone else hear the guy who rang into RH and said they're back down with bottom feeders Grimsby?
Saddo

I heard this.

They might have money, but they need another new manager and a complete overhaul of their team. A big ask. I predict a mediocre season for them next year, after which their benefactor will finally throw his toys out.

I can see them doing a Notts County. Teams in free fall have a smell of desperation about them. We should know.
Posted by: blackandwhitelaces, May 5, 2019, 10:48am; Reply: 136
So I am sanctimonious and infantile then am I
The united player knew the keeper was injured thats why he chipped him,

As for scunts I’ve got my own opinion of the club and fans built up on 50 years supporting Town everyone’s entitled to their own opinion

Personally I can’t stand em...
Posted by: Meza, May 5, 2019, 10:53am; Reply: 137
i'd have Josh Morris in a heartbeat.  Can see him signing for Lg1 club tho.
Posted by: rancido, May 5, 2019, 11:43am; Reply: 138
Quoted from Bigdog

Played at both Glanford Park and BP a few times. The changing rooms and facilities at Scunny are light years ahead..

They should be seeing as Glumford Park is about 80 years younger than BP!
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, May 5, 2019, 11:58am; Reply: 139
Quoted from Meza
i'd have Josh Morris in a heartbeat.  Can see him signing for Lg1 club tho.

Was told last night by a Scunny season ticket holder that he is heading to Salford to join up again with Alexander. According to him only the fact that Morris broke his leg stopped a previously agreed transfer taking place.

If true shows how much Salford are willing to cough up to achieve success.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 5, 2019, 12:04pm; Reply: 140

The keeper went of injured so yes he did need treament that badly!

Posted by: Meza, May 5, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Was told last night by a Scunny season ticket holder that he is heading to Salford to join up again with Alexander. According to him only the fact that Morris broke his leg stopped a previously agreed transfer taking place.

it doesn't look great as a club when spending well over the fanbase income, but if you want to progress through the leagues pretty quickly thats the only way.  Lets face it players aren't interested if they have fan base of 2000 fans when they can get paid 2-4 k on wages.

Posted by: supertown, May 5, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 142

Hang on , you think it through. The keeper has hurt his leg and needs treatment. Technically he has to release the ball or be penalised so he very obviously tries to throw it out , he can’t kick it as he is injured. The twit Morris scores and the keeper has to be subbed due to the injury .
But you think thats ok ? You are certainly in the minority .
You , Morris and the scunny manager I think . Even the chairman is embarrassed
Posted by: MarinerRob, May 5, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 143
But looking at the clip on Facebook the keeper was standing up when he rolled the ball out. And when the ball came back he was able to jump and then walk protesting. Nothing obvious he was injured (from that clip) and as someone said you play to the whistle.

However, they could have done a 'Leeds' and allowed them to score unheeded. BUT the Leeds game didn't risk relegation as a result of their action. They were assured of a playoff place and were hard pushed in the chase for automatic promotion.

And I am as glad as anybody that Scunthorpe was relegated but what any player would do on the spur of the moment is hard to judge.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 5, 2019, 3:55pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from MarinerRob
But looking at the clip on Facebook the keeper was standing up when he rolled the ball out. And when the ball came back he was able to jump and then walk protesting. Nothing obvious he was injured (from that clip) and as someone said you play to the whistle.

However, they could have done a 'Leeds' and allowed them to score unheeded. BUT the Leeds game didn't risk relegation as a result of their action. They were assured of a playoff place and were hard pushed in the chase for automatic promotion.

And I am as glad as anybody that Scunthorpe was relegated but what any player would do on the spur of the moment is hard to judge.

At 1;04 the keeper jumps and catches the ball, he immediately signals by putting his hand in the air something ins't right then goes down on one knee, as the keeper goes down on one knee he signals again he is injured, he then gets up signalling again to stop to an on coming scunt, then throws the ball out whilst signalling he has thrown it out for a reason. The keeper protests at the goal by signalling to the ref there is something wrong with his knee before being supported off the pitch by two people at around 01:29. The crowd rightly booing the dirty scunt, The players and home crowd knew that what the Scunt had done was morally wrong and not in the spirit of the game, intercourse Scunthorpe, the word girl private in is Scunthorpe for a reason.

[youtube]T62R9M8tUTU[/youtube]
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 5, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 145
Again fuckk scunny looking forward to their demise
Posted by: MarinerRob, May 5, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 146
Seeing what happened just before the clip on Facebook makes it quite clear he was in trouble. He indicates before throwing the ball out. So NO excuses - he should not have done it. Let's hope Khama comes back with this very unsporting action and bites Scunthorpe on the bottom (or other unmentionable places)

Say what you like about Fenty he enabled Town to hold its head high by doing the right thing and paying our dues after the ITV digital fiasco Rather than what so many other clubs did and went bust. To me that is priceless. Many think that is naive but I prefer to play fair.
Posted by: RonMariner, May 5, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 147
The keeper was clearly injured and was rolling the ball out of play in order to get treatment. It was perfectly obvious and the Scunt knew exactly what he was doing.

I think it's totally disgraceful and the Scunthorpe manager and team should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.   The proper thing to do would have been to give the goal back, as Leeds did in far less clear cut circumstances.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 5, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 148
It comes to something when the spirit you play the game in is compared unfavourably to Dirty Leeds.
Posted by: RoboCod, May 5, 2019, 9:13pm; Reply: 149
It comes to something when the spirit you play the game in is compared unfavourably to Dirty Leeds.

That moment when you tarnish reputation forever, when you manage to out-Leeds Leeds.(icon_sad)
Posted by: Mariner_09, May 5, 2019, 11:20pm; Reply: 150
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

If Salford do come up (they’re now in the play off final vs Fylde) then I expect them to be right up there given the money they’re spending. Also, I can’t bear the thought of being in the same league a Salford but worse a lower one than FGR. C’mon Tranmere

Posted by: Ipswin, May 6, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from Marinerz93

At 1;04 the keeper jumps and catches the ball, he immediately signals by putting his hand in the air something ins't right then goes down on one knee, as the keeper goes down on one knee he signals again he is injured, he then gets up signalling again to stop to an on coming scunt, then throws the ball out whilst signalling he has thrown it out for a reason. The keeper protests at the goal by signalling to the ref there is something wrong with his knee before being supported off the pitch by two people at around 01:29. The crowd rightly booing the dirty scunt, The players and home crowd knew that what the Scunt had done was morally wrong and not in the spirit of the game, intercourse Scunthorpe, the word girl private in is Scunthorpe for a reason.

[youtube]T62R9M8tUTU[/youtube]

A week or so ago after the Leeds incident every fornicator was going on about 'play to the whistle' but suddenly that's all changed and Morris was in the wrong (presumably because he's a Scunthorpe player)
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 6, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from Ipswin

A week or so ago after the Leeds incident every fornicator was going on about 'play to the whistle' but suddenly that's all changed and Morris was in the wrong (presumably because he's a Scunthorpe player)

I think it had been obvious for several minutes that the keeper had been injured though. This was the point in which he could not carry on; presumably he could not kick the ball out because of his injury so chose to throw it out.

Even the Scunthorpe chaiman is aghast at the unsporting behaviour of the player and the stand in manager. Play to the whistle by all means but in this instance, it was obvious as a pikestaff what the problem was and that the keeper was throwing it out because he could not carry on.
Posted by: Ipswin, May 6, 2019, 2:29pm; Reply: 153

I think it had been obvious for several minutes that the keeper had been injured though. This was the point in which he could not carry on; presumably he could not kick the ball out because of his injury so chose to throw it out.

Even the Scunthorpe chaiman is aghast at the unsporting behaviour of the player and the stand in manager. Play to the whistle by all means but in this instance, it was obvious as a pikestaff what the problem was and that the keeper was throwing it out because he could not carry on.

I have seen keepers 'go down' whilst holding the ball on a number of occasions and play is stopped as the opposition cannot kick it out of his hands.

He did not have to attempt to throw the ball out at all (and if he did throwing it out for a corner was much closer if his pain was that bad!)

Play to the whistle, no room for sportsmanship here
Posted by: Abdul19, May 6, 2019, 2:33pm; Reply: 154
Agreed, he should've just put it out for a corner. It's a bit naïve to assume that an opponent wouldn't try and keep it in in a game of that importance.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, May 6, 2019, 3:04pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Ipswin

I have seen keepers 'go down' whilst holding the ball on a number of occasions and play is stopped as the opposition cannot kick it out of his hands.

He did not have to attempt to throw the ball out at all (and if he did throwing it out for a corner was much closer if his pain was that bad!)

He didn't just try to throw it out willy nilly! Everyone in the ground knew he was injured; he signalled he could not carry on and threw the ball as best he could. It was cheating on the Scunny players part - he knew he was trying to throw it out like everyone else.

Nobody likes winning more than me, but you cannot conduct yourself like that. The Scunthorpe chairman even said it ruined the clubs image. Had Scunthorpe stayed up as part consequence of that goal several years of cultivating a family club image would have been destroyed.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 6, 2019, 3:11pm; Reply: 156
All it would have taken was for Morris to kick the ball into touch and Scunthorpe would have had high praise for their sportsmanship, instead they are now going to be remembered for the most infamous goal of 2918/2019...
And people stating the importance of the game, don't forget Leeds were still in the hunt for automatic promotion when they allowed their opponent to go through and score ( although Johansen nearly fukced it up)..
Posted by: Abdul19, May 6, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 157
They were in the hunt for automatic promotion if they'd won that game 26-0....
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 8, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 158
Just got over my three day bender in celebration of scunny getting relegated, at long last I believe there is a God, and let's hope He hasn't finished with them yet!!!
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 8, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Gaffer58
Just got over my three day bender in celebration of scunny getting relegated, at long last I believe there is a God, and let's hope He hasn't finished with them yet!!!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/wWrpMja.jpg[/img]
Posted by: supertown, May 8, 2019, 7:43pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from Ipswin

And what if the ref interpreted it as time wasting   Technically he has 6 seconds to release it or it’s an indirect free kick against him
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 23, 2019, 9:14am; Reply: 161

And we think we've got it bad, after being relegated the steelworks in Scunny is now in crisis.

It'll be a ghost town if that closes.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 23, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 162

And we think we've got it bad, after being relegated the steelworks in Scunny is now in crisis.

In footballing terms I wish them all the bad luck in the world.

But I for one feel absolute sympathy with them over the plight of the steelworks.  But it’s not banking, or based in London so the government don’t give a flying fcuk.
Posted by: Marinerz93, May 23, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 163

It will get worse when the people who moved there for work move away, taking those extra genes away, Scunny will be back to a five village town with one gene pool.

Looks like they have cutback on Scunny Bunny's outfit as part of cost savings

[img]https://i.imgur.com/r6Y91dN.jpg[/img]
Posted by: WetFlannel, May 23, 2019, 5:52pm; Reply: 164
There’s a good number of people based nearer to Grimsby and who support Town who are employed at the Steelworks and even if that wasn’t the case we’re hardly in an economic position to be smug. The more local businesses die the worse the situation is for everyone in North/North East Lincolnshire and I really don’t want to celebrate something that affects people’s livelihoods and has a knock on effect to us too. I wish the people of Scunthorpe all the luck in the world regarding where economic problems, as we face similar ones across the M180. In an ideal world, hopefully they can keep jobs in Scunthorpe, which in turn would keep a smile on their face to make up for their team dropping out the football league.
Posted by: tarka, May 23, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from WetFlannel
There’s a good number of people based nearer to Grimsby and who support Town who are employed at the Steelworks and even if that wasn’t the case we’re hardly in an economic position to be smug. The more local businesses die the worse the situation is for everyone in North/North East Lincolnshire and I really don’t want to celebrate something that affects people’s livelihoods and has a knock on effect to us too. I wish the people of Scunthorpe all the luck in the world regarding where economic problems, as we face similar ones across the M180. In an ideal world, hopefully they can keep jobs in Scunthorpe, which in turn would keep a smile on their face to make up for their team dropping out the football league.

Good post.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 23, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 166
Football or not football most Scunts I’ve worked with over the years fukin hate us , our town our seaside resort especially our glorious football team .. I sympathise with the steelworks being shut down but did the steelworkers of Scunthorpe  give a fook about our killed fishing industry , I doubt it like I say they hate us
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 23, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 167
Down with like the steel, their going down like the steel. Down like the steeeellllll.

Would love it if they went down this season.... LOVE IT !!!!!
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 24, 2019, 1:35am; Reply: 168
I started on the steelworks in '75 in the days when your parents told you if you didn't do well at school you'd "end up on the works like your dad"
I didn't do well at school so I did end up there and actually with my dad but it served me well as a job for life for 40 years, one I didn't really appreciate at the time because let's face it a sixteen year old boy would rather be out with his mates than working 2/10 or nights. I stuck it out though.

Those days were incredible, the works were a melting pot, people from all over the UK and the world, many at odds with each other both in culture and football allegiances.
We used to go out together after work, the English, Indians ,and Poles, then around to the Pakistani lads houses for a curry sat around the fire, they didn't drink but were happy to get the food on, there were no Maccy Dees or Kentucky in those days.
Religion or having to respect each others culture wasn't rammed down every ones throats either and for years we thought Sikh was a part of India and Islam a part of Pakistan.
We all dressed the same, spoke the same to the best of our abilities and got on as best we could.

My own intake comprised of young lads from Scunthorpe, South Yorkshire, Grimsby, India, Pakistan and Eastern Europe.
You can only imagine it eh?
Scunthorpe v Grimsby, Lincolnshire v Yorkshire, Poland v Latvia and don't even get me started on Pakistan v India.
Yes, we all had our moments, a chelp here, a slap there, a bit of mither over there but we all stood and worked and covered each others backs when it really counted - on the shop floor.

Dangerous work in those days, just like the trawlers were, too many died young, were scarred for life or mutilated.
Friendships for life were forged, some for too short a time.
One of my first steelworks friendships was made on intake because the lad had a GTFC badge on his denim jacket as did I, I was sent to the Bloom and Billet Mill where my dad worked and he was sent to the coke ovens where he died four weeks later, cut in half under a coke wagon at the age of sixteen. I have never forgotten his name.
To this day many people can be seen around Scunthorpe with what might look like to some as hideous birthmarks, it's molten iron or steel.

In those days there were three Steelworks in Scunthorpe employing probably 30,000 over the various sites.

The top of North Lincs Rd was a huge bus terminal bringing in workers from the areas of Grimsby, Doncaster, Lincoln and even Hull which bearing in mind the bridge was unbuilt was no mean feat and many a time I kipped at a mates house in Meggies after footy then caught the 5am to Scunthorpe works on the sunday morning.
It's really hard to appreciate how massive the place was compared to today.

Some on here might hate Scunthorpe, some might think it's great the works could be buggered.
It's OK to hate Scunthorpe the football club, sodomist me, I bristle myself when I see the bloody badge, that's normal and how it should be but think it through.

In my last ten years on the works I was logistics based. We had Grimsby area HGV drivers who couldn't  get work picking up loads from farms and relied on eight, yes eight deliveries to the works every day starting at 4am.
Only the eighth one gave them a profit. it used to break my heart when one turned up ten minutes after the place they were tipping had shut.

The works shuts, and that driver is out of work. Multiply that by 800 lorry drivers looking for work.
All the people who load the lorry driver at the docks or railway stations not needed.
The quarries around the country that supply the limes for the steelworks not needed.
All the suppliers of the various alloys for the steel making process not needed.
Coal not needed because the coke ovens are shut.
Local manufacturers of bearings who supply the works on a daily basis not needed.
Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.
The companies and farms who rely on Bi products from the works such as sulphates, tar and slag, what do they do?
It is so far reaching it's nearly unbelievable.
I could go on and on and on.

I was lucky to have had a job for life there and was very proud to have done my bit, I really hope it's there for future generations.

Posted by: BeijingMariner, May 24, 2019, 3:13am; Reply: 169
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I started on the steelworks in '75

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on the Fishy. I wish I had time to write down a proper response but I am moving house, country, continent and job, my youngest is finishing school in three weeks so am a tad busy. Suffice to say, Mr GY, even though you have a few years on me, I reckon we shared some haunts in Scunny, I was living in Wrawby, school in Brigg and in a band in Scunny, playing the Baths, Henry VIII, The Sherpa. I never had it in for Scunny or it's people or even it's team to be honest. This is a great piece of writing. I truly feel for any worker faced with redundancy, even if they are in Scunthorpe, or............Lincoln!
Posted by: RoboCod, May 24, 2019, 3:01pm; Reply: 170
Great post GYiS, no real football fan can actually hate the Town/City that club is based in because we're all pretty much in the same boat. Some Scunts over the years came on here and slagged off Gy, and Town fans did the same in reverse but really, what's the difference in these places?

Same goes for Lincoln, all you'l hear is 'ooh, Cathedral this, Steep Hill that..' while omitting the horrific spice epidemic, the unwanted stat of most homeless dying on the streets in the UK and other modern problems while Grimsby is an easy target with people omitting the survey that showed Gy came 2nd nationally in the trusted neighbours Community survey.
Real fans will always end up talking footy over a pint, a cuppa or whatever, rivals or not. because it's the love of the game that holds it all together, through thick and thin. And some more thin ::)
Posted by: jaygy, May 24, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 171
I think the government have been very shrewd in what they’ve done this week. They’ve not lent a (very bent) company in Greybull a huge amount of money and, although this means the steelworks goes into administration, they get rid of Greybull and can look at potential buyers for a part government owned steelworks. Greybull have spent 300million in France on a project there and our government will have known this when deciding on whether to hand money over. It’s still an uncertain time for all the lads on the steelworks(myself included) but if the government has to decide on running the steelworks themselves at a slight loss/break even or put 20,000 workers on the dole I’m sure their decision will be an easy one.

On the football side of things I’ve never had any problems with Scunny fans but my goodness it’s been a long time coming being at the same level and I really hope we get the bragging rights next season!
Posted by: Gaffer58, May 24, 2019, 4:45pm; Reply: 172
Well wrote GY, like you started in 1976, had 40 years in CEW, lots of good memories of the place and wouldn't wish the worst to happen. Now the bloody football club, it can go down the toilet as far as I'm concerned.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, May 25, 2019, 2:10pm; Reply: 173
Quoted from BeijingMariner

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on the Fishy. I wish I had time to write down a proper response but I am moving house, country, continent and job, my youngest is finishing school in three weeks so am a tad busy. Suffice to say, Mr GY, even though you have a few years on me, I reckon we shared some haunts in Scunny, I was living in Wrawby, school in Brigg and in a band in Scunny, playing the Baths, Henry VIII, The Sherpa. I never had it in for Scunny or it's people or even it's team to be honest. This is a great piece of writing. I truly feel for any worker faced with redundancy, even if they are in Scunthorpe, or............Lincoln!

Used to frequent the King Henry all the time for the upstairs heavy metal, new wave and punk dos.
The Sherpa is a few hundred yards from me and pop in with a mate from time to time.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 27, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 174
I started on the steelworks in '75 in the days when your parents told you if you didn't do well at school you'd "end up on the works like your dad"
I didn't do well at school so I did end up there and actually with my dad but it served me well as a job for life for 40 years, one I didn't really appreciate at the time because let's face it a sixteen year old boy would rather be out with his mates than working 2/10 or nights. I stuck it out though.

Those days were incredible, the works were a melting pot, people from all over the UK and the world, many at odds with each other both in culture and football allegiances.
We used to go out together after work, the English, Indians ,and Poles, then around to the Pakistani lads houses for a curry sat around the fire, they didn't drink but were happy to get the food on, there were no Maccy Dees or Kentucky in those days.
Religion or having to respect each others culture wasn't rammed down every ones throats either and for years we thought Sikh was a part of India and Islam a part of Pakistan.
We all dressed the same, spoke the same to the best of our abilities and got on as best we could.

My own intake comprised of young lads from Scunthorpe, South Yorkshire, Grimsby, India, Pakistan and Eastern Europe.
Scunthorpe v Grimsby, Lincolnshire v Yorkshire, Poland v Latvia and don't even get me started on Pakistan v India.
Yes, we all had our moments, a chelp here, a slap there, a bit of mither over there but we all stood and worked and covered each others backs when it really counted - on the shop floor.

Dangerous work in those days, just like the trawlers were, too many died young, were scarred for life or mutilated.
One of my first steelworks friendships was made on intake because the lad had a GTFC badge on his denim jacket as did I, I was sent to the Bloom and Billet Mill where my dad worked and he was sent to the coke ovens where he died four weeks later, cut in half under a coke wagon at the age of sixteen. I have never forgotten his name.
To this day many people can be seen around Scunthorpe with what might look like to some as hideous birthmarks, it's molten iron or steel.

In those days there were three Steelworks in Scunthorpe employing probably 30,000 over the various sites.

The top of North Lincs Rd was a huge bus terminal bringing in workers from the areas of Grimsby, Doncaster, Lincoln and even Hull which bearing in mind the bridge was unbuilt was no mean feat and many a time I kipped at a mates house in Meggies after footy then caught the 5am to Scunthorpe works on the sunday morning.

Some on here might hate Scunthorpe, some might think it's great the works could be buggered.
It's OK to hate Scunthorpe the football club, sodomist me, I bristle myself when I see the bloody badge, that's normal and how it should be but think it through.

In my last ten years on the works I was logistics based. We had Grimsby area HGV drivers who couldn't  get work picking up loads from farms and relied on eight, yes eight deliveries to the works every day starting at 4am.
Only the eighth one gave them a profit. it used to break my heart when one turned up ten minutes after the place they were tipping had shut.

The works shuts, and that driver is out of work. Multiply that by 800 lorry drivers looking for work.
All the people who load the lorry driver at the docks or railway stations not needed.
The quarries around the country that supply the limes for the steelworks not needed.
All the suppliers of the various alloys for the steel making process not needed.
Local manufacturers of bearings who supply the works on a daily basis not needed.
Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.
The companies and farms who rely on Bi products from the works such as sulphates, tar and slag, what do they do?

I was lucky to have had a job for life there and was very proud to have done my bit, I really hope it's there for future generations.

Just seen that this is the Post of the Week

For me, I'd say it was the Post of the Year

Really honest and moving... well done mate for telling it how it is
Posted by: chaos33, May 27, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 175

Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.

One of the very best posts I’ve ever read on here.
Much respect mate.

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 27, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 176
Quoted from chaos33

One of the very best posts I’ve ever read on here.
Much respect mate.

Get ready Chaos.... the x brigage are on the warpath for me saying much the same thing.  Wasters!!  :-/
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 177
Agree. Well deserved Post of the Week GYiS
Posted by: Sweden, May 27, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 178

Cleaners not needed.
Caterers not needed.

Best I've read in a long time. Recognizes me very much as growing up in a society built with the steel as a foundation. I have worked as a steelworker since 1978  to last yaer. We had people from Finland, Hungary etc. who worked there with us Swedes. Nowadays, the jobs have disappeared and these communities have had a negative development. Fan of Grimsby since 15 jan 1977 Crystal Palace - Grimsby Town 2-1 brodcasting on TV here in Sweden.

Posted by: Poojah, May 27, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 179
Quoted from Sweden

Fan of Grimsby since 15 jan 1977 Crystal Palace - Grimsby Town 2-1 brodcasting on TV here in Sweden.

Genuinely intriguing that. A few years before I was born so I’ve no idea of the context of the match, but what was it about a 2-1 defeat that drew you to a club and town you presumably had no prior affinity with? I get why the Man United’s and Liverpool’s of this world develop massive fan bases in far flung parts of the world, but I find it interesting how less successful and fashionable clubs such as ourselves pick up the odd international fan.

Good on you, by the way!
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 27, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 180
Quoted from Sweden

Best I've read in a long time. Recognizes me very much as growing up in a society built with the steel as a foundation. I have worked as a steelworker since 1978  to last yaer. We had people from Finland, Hungary etc. who worked there with us Swedes. Nowadays, the jobs have disappeared and these communities have had a negative development. Fan of Grimsby since 15 jan 1977 Crystal Palace - Grimsby Town 2-1 brodcasting on TV here in Sweden.

If you remember seeing 2 kids aged about 12 waving like mad at the camera from a Crystal Palace corner, I was the one in the brown jacket.  ;D
Posted by: Sweden, May 27, 2019, 9:50pm; Reply: 181
Quoted from Poojah

Genuinely intriguing that. A few years before I was born so I’ve no idea of the context of the match, but what was it about a 2-1 defeat that drew you to a club and town you presumably had no prior affinity with? I get why the Man United’s and Liverpool’s of this world develop massive fan bases in far flung parts of the world, but I find it interesting how less successful and fashionable clubs such as ourselves pick up the odd international fan.

Good on you, by the way!

Most of the matches in England were canceled due to the weather. So this match was shown in Swedish TV. Normally, matches from the English first divisons were shown. I thought Crystal Palace was the better team but Grimsby fought and struggled the hole game and a love that. All my mates supported Liverpool, Tottenham etc. I played football myself in the lower series here in Sweden. Played for a while in a football team called Grim. There is now a brewery on that football field.https://olkollen.se/oppigards-grim-lager-nu-pa-samtliga-bishops-arms/?newsletter
Posted by: Poojah, May 27, 2019, 9:57pm; Reply: 182
Quoted from Sweden

Most of the matches in England were canceled due to the weather. So this match was shown in Swedish TV. Normally, matches from the English first divisons were shown. I thought Crystal Palace was the better team but Grimsby fought and struggled the hole game and a love that. All my mates supported Liverpool, Tottenham etc.

It’s good to be different. Here’s hoping you have some glory to support of your own in the not too distant future!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 27, 2019, 10:01pm; Reply: 183
Quoted from Sweden

Most of the matches in England were canceled due to the weather. So this match was shown in Swedish TV. Normally, matches from the English first divisons were shown. I thought Crystal Palace was the better team but Grimsby fought and struggled the hole game and a love that. All my mates supported Liverpool, Tottenham etc. I played football myself in the lower series here in Sweden. Played for a while in a football team called Grim. There is now a brewery on that football field.https://olkollen.se/oppigards-grim-lager-nu-pa-samtliga-bishops-arms/?newsletter

Message in a Bottle ought to try to get hold of some of that Grim Lager. Could be a big seller in NEL.
Posted by: Sweden, May 27, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 184

Message in a Bottle ought to try to get hold of some of that Grim Lager. Could be a big seller in NEL.

https://olkollen.se/beers/oppigards-grim-lager/
Print page generated: April 18, 2024, 11:22pm