Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Welwynmariner, April 19, 2019, 6:22pm
Really poor. I mean really really poor display today and I feel sorry for anyone who has travelled all the way down and wasted a Good Friday holiday to watch that.

Town were inept both individually and collectively. Woolford put in a display which would rival Jamie Clarke at his worst and passed unerringly to players in striped shirts - only we were playing in red.

I don't recall our testing their keeper at any stage and we offered nothing. 1-0 was very generous and there were at least two goal line clearances and two other off the post.

Rose and Clifton came on at half-time and improved things but that says very little.

Town had no idea beyond hopeful punts up to Cardwell who didn't win a single header as far as I remember.

Put it this was, I saw lots of better performances when we were in the Conference
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 19, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Welwynmariner
Really poor. I mean really really poor display today and I feel sorry for anyone who has travelled all the way down and wasted a Good Friday holiday to watch that.

Town were inept both individually and collectively. Woolford put in a display which would rival Jamie Clarke at his worst and passed unerringly to players in striped shirts - only we were playing in red.

I don't recall our testing their keeper at any stage and we offered nothing. 1-0 was very generous and there were at least two goal line clearances and two other off the post.

Rose and Clifton came on at half-time and improved things but that says very little.

Town had no idea beyond hopeful punts up to Cardwell who didn't win a single header as far as I remember.

Put it this was, I saw lots of better performances when we were in the Conference

Thanks for that. Your report was better than I expected, going by the match commentary...
Posted by: Ipswin, April 19, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 2
Gutless, spineless and worse and most worrying perhaps as this one applies to Jolley, clueless

At least it was the only game I have had to suffer this season, dreading May 4th when I have to go through it all again (tempted to spend all afternoon in the Notts)

My deepest condolences to those who have had to watch this dross all season and to those who came down from Grimsby to witness this afternoon's bag 'o shite.

Can't single out a single player for a compliment let alone praise, if I have to then Macca (as usual)
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 19, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Ipswin
Gutless, spineless and worse and most worrying perhaps as this one applies to Jolley, clueless

At least it was the only game I have had to suffer this season, dreading May 4th when I have to go through it all again (tempted to spend all afternoon in the Notts)

My deepest condolences to those who have had to watch this dross all season and to those who came down from Grimsby to witness this afternoon's bag 'o shite.

Can't single out a single player for a compliment let alone praise, if I have to then Macca (as usual)

Glad that I decided to miss my first home game of the season that day. I'm off on a cruise on the Sunday, leaving from Southampton, I could have gone to the game first and then gone down to my brother's in Surrey after the game, but I decided to leave to go down there on Saturday morning.

The way we've been playing the past few weeks I reckon I made the right decision,
Posted by: golfer, April 19, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 4
Have you got room for 12 more on that cruise ?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 19, 2019, 8:09pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Ipswin

This!

The p1ssed element of today's support really stuck it to the players after the game, to be honest I can't blame them. The thing that illustrated everything about us now is that as far as I recall Rose, Clifton, Macca and I think Hess stood there and took it, the rest didn't get too close.    
Posted by: sydney, April 19, 2019, 8:32pm; Reply: 6
Is it falling apart?
Are we about to become like York City?
Is the best we have to look forward too next season 3rd from bottom?
Watched the NL playoff final again the other night to cheer me up
It seems Worlds apart
Sad Tonight
Come on Town!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 19, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from golfer
Have you got room for 12 more on that cruise ?

I think they've all been on holiday for the past month at least!
Posted by: chaos33, April 19, 2019, 8:53pm; Reply: 8
It's just so sh1t. The players. The tactics. Slow death since we were promoted. Starved of the necessary talent, money and vision.
Posted by: Ashby mariner, April 19, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 9
In my opinion alot of the players we had in the conference are better than most of this bunch.
Posted by: blundellpork, April 19, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 10
Watched Colchester in the first half and saw how football should be played. Technically good players, looking to work the ball intelligently around and through our defence. Grimsby by comparison hit long diagonal balls, that we failed to win and allowed Colchester to launch yet another attack.

Second half we started more brightly, putting a couple of moves together.

The number of times Hendrie carried the ball down the right and it was crying out for someone to pass to down the line was infuriating. Jolley insists on persisting with this 352 formation that the players continue to struggle with.

The two runs of 4 consecutive wins have kept us away from trouble, but we need major improvement to avoid trouble again next year.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 19, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from blundellpork
Watched Colchester in the first half and saw how football should be played. Technically good players, looking to work the ball intelligently around and through our defence. Grimsby by comparison hit long diagonal balls, that we failed to win and allowed Colchester to launch yet another attack.

Second half we started more brightly, putting a couple of moves together.

The number of times Hendrie carried the ball down the right and it was crying out for someone to pass to down the line was infuriating. Jolley insists on persisting with this 352 formation that the players continue to struggle with.

The two runs of 4 consecutive wins have kept us away from trouble, but we need major improvement to avoid trouble again next year.

I thought we played 4-4-2 today ?
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 19, 2019, 9:59pm; Reply: 12
Today confirmed for me that Woolford shouldn't play again for GTFC and RHJ is a pretty crap full back.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 20, 2019, 1:20am; Reply: 13
To me Collins ànd Woolford have to go.
Posted by: Welwynmariner, April 20, 2019, 6:03am; Reply: 14
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I thought we played 4-4-2 today ?

I thought we started 4-4-2 but after they scored there was some frantic waving from the touchline and we switched to 3-5-2. RH-J was playing far more centrally after he got booked for bumping their no 7 off the ball.

To be honest I wondered if the players had been told that the club had decided on a mass clear out at the end of the season and most of them weren't getting their contracts renewed this summer?
Posted by: golfer, April 20, 2019, 7:53am; Reply: 15
If all those that deserve to go are dismissed who will pick the team ? Only Macca and A. N. Other left
Posted by: lukeo, April 20, 2019, 8:21am; Reply: 16
I like 352, I use it for my team on Saturdays and used correctly it is effective. Against less quality teams its very effective and works brilliantly, I've found though against teams which have more quality and speed down the wings its a struggle and I come stuck at times with it.
Posted by: smokey111, April 20, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 17
Quoted from lukeo
I like 352, I use it for my team on Saturdays and used correctly it is effective. Against less quality teams its very effective and works brilliantly, I've found though against teams which have more quality and speed down the wings its a struggle and I come stuck at times with it.

See if you can grab 5 minutes with MJ and give him some advice.
Posted by: golfer, April 20, 2019, 8:48am; Reply: 18
He wouldn't listen.
Posted by: Teesknees, April 20, 2019, 8:49am; Reply: 19
Quoted from golfer
If all those that deserve to go are dismissed who will pick the team ? Only Macca and A. N. Other left

There's plenty of managers on here!
Posted by: shaun the sheep, April 20, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 20
Yesterday, I thought we looked like a plucky Conference team playing a Championship team in the Cup. We seemed to be tactically one-dimensional in "let's lump it up to the big lad & feed off that" . Meanwhile the opposition had time , played football around and through us and , especially in the first half carved Town open for chance after chance. We were second best in every department and I could understand how the Essex Radio presenter after the game described Town as  "one of the worst teams to visit Colchester this season". We just did not pose a threat , with their two centre-backs calmly heading away ball after ball.
Like many , I've covered the thick end of 700 miles in the last seven days and driving home I was thinking that what really disappoints me is that the appointment of MJ , following Russell Slade,  was seen as the route towards a more progressive style of football. MJ has certainly tried to embrace this but the squad that HE has assembled , either can't - or won't - play that way.
Yesterday I think it was 4-4-2 to start but Grayson looked lost. Woolford couldn't do a thing right and once we went a goal down , that was game over.
I know it could be argued that the loss of Embleton seems to have taken away any forward drive from the midfield but if your system revolves around one player , that's a disaster waiting to happen . Currently there is no fluent , cohesive play that might actually open up a chance for a striker. Dennis does his work in the box - he got hardly a touch there yesterday.
After the Oldham , Morecambe & Colchester away trips , I'm thinking whether I can be bothered to go to Notts County. After yesterday's non-performance, I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this. But you know what ? We'll all be there because Town are OUR team.
I don't pretend I know the answers to fix this - I'll leave that to the footballing experts . All I can see , is that what is being served up at the moment isn't working or good enough.  
My message to the Club - don't take the fans for granted as we all have a breaking point. Season Ticket renewal is around the corner and the current efforts on the pitch are hardly likely to encourage this.
Don't post very often but rant over , spleen vented and breathe.......

Posted by: rancido, April 21, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 21
Quoted from Teesknees

There's plenty of managers on here!

......along with all the financial experts who know how to run a football club !
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 21, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 22
Quoted from rancido

......along with all the financial experts who know how to run a football club !

I don’t know how to plaster a wall. But it doesn’t mean I can’t tell when it isn’t being done properly
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 12:04am