Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mandy Dunnit vs Hettie, April 15, 2019, 10:29am
The only game I'm looking forward to as our season drifts away aimlessly is the trip to Notts County. Least there should be a good atmosphere there, though maybe not for the right reasons...Here's how the Nottingham Post defined us in a preview:
"The Magpies have struggled to put away a number of League Two's formidable sides this season, and in their final five games can expect to face three more, with Grimsby, Crawley and Swindon Town all infamously heavy handed with their playing style." ?!
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-ready-physical-says-2751274

Posted by: RonMariner, April 15, 2019, 11:06am; Reply: 1
The only game I'm looking forward to as our season drifts away aimlessly is the trip to Notts County. Least there should be a good atmosphere there, though maybe not for the right reasons...Here's how the Nottingham Post defined us in a preview:
"The Magpies have struggled to put away a number of League Two's formidable sides this season, and in their final five games can expect to face three more, with Grimsby, Crawley and Swindon Town all infamously heavy handed with their playing style." ?!
https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/football/football-news/notts-county-ready-physical-says-2751274

What a load of ball hooks...
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, April 15, 2019, 11:11am; Reply: 2
I suppose you could say we’ve had a fair few given straight reds. Dunno, that’s all I can suggest. But hey-ho, who cares anyway.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 15, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 3
Yes..the opposition always have their next team meeting in A&E following a game with us....Akinde had to have a plaster on his elbow recently when Ohman attacked it with his nose.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 15, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 4
I will be there waving bye bye to Notts opprobrious.
Posted by: arryarryarry, April 15, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from arryarryarry
I will be there waving bye bye to Notts County.

Sorry County.

Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 17, 2019, 9:10am; Reply: 6
We are tied with Sunderland for most straight red cards in league matches in the top 4 divisions on 7. And our total red card count of 8 is only beaten by Stevenage on 9 (4 second yellows & 5 straight reds).

If you include all first teams games we are tied on 9 red cards with Stevenage. To put that in context in the 92 there is one team without a single red card this season (Chelsea) and another 16 teams who have received just 1 red card in all competition this season.

Quite frankly, we do have a reputation and it's fully deserved.
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 17, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 7
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We are tied with Sunderland for most straight red cards in league matches in the top 4 divisions on 7. And our total red card count of 8 is only beaten by Stevenage on 9 (4 second yellows & 5 straight reds).

If you include all first teams games we are tied on 9 red cards with Stevenage. To put that in context in the 92 there is one team without a single red card this season (Chelsea) and another 16 teams who have received just 1 red card in all competition this season.

Quite frankly, we do have a reputation and it's fully deserved.

We're not really consistently dirty though are we? It's just that we have a fair few players who will lunge in a bit too often. There are teams that get away with a hell of a lot more than us in League 2 from what I've seen.
Posted by: Maringer, April 17, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 8
There is a difference between being a dirty side and one which picks up lots of stupid (and even at times unfortunate) red cards. I'm thinking the Thomas red card for a start, which was just preposterous. McKeown was unlucky to get a red at Lincoln, Collins shouldn't have been sent off at Northampton, Davis was also unlucky as he wasn't last man (although his was for a stupid, cynical foul). Others were for slightly mistimed or clumsy challenges.

One thing we are certainly not is 'heavy handed'. We don't have a nasty player who goes out to leave something on the opposition in the whole squad. In fact, I can't remember us having this type of a player for years.

Still, you can't expect proper research from a hack at a local newspaper. Easy to check the disciplinary charts and say what you like when you're working to a deadline.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 17, 2019, 11:53am; Reply: 9
Let them think that we are. No pressure on us we can play some football. If anything it will be them that will be trying anything they can legal or otherwise. They could have everything to lose.
Posted by: Stranger in the Park, April 17, 2019, 1:25pm; Reply: 10
Surelly you have to factor in the stats of the refs that gave those red cards- we have had some shocking decisions with refs in this league - and in a certain cup match.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, April 17, 2019, 9:47pm; Reply: 11
Definitely need some luck along the way.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 17, 2019, 10:59pm; Reply: 12
I don't think we are infamous full stop. Our very existence is a matter of supreme indifference to most people.
Posted by: mariner tommy, April 17, 2019, 11:15pm; Reply: 13
So what ?
It’s the press, they talk a load if s*** anyway.
Ignore it

UTM
Posted by: GollyGTFC, April 19, 2019, 4:55pm; Reply: 14
A 10th red card of the season.
Posted by: RoboCod, April 19, 2019, 5:30pm; Reply: 15
"Infamously clumsy" doesn't have the same ring I suppose.
Print page generated: April 20, 2024, 10:56am