Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, April 4, 2019, 10:14pm
Prem Clubs have spent £260 million on Agents' fees in 2018-19.  Up £49 million.  A different world. (BBC Sport stats).

In the real world, Sunderland spent more than 50% of Div One's £5.5M.

In Div 2, the total was £940K. No details of whata Town spent on fees.  

Northampton were the biggest spenders on agents fees with £92K.  

Macclesfield were the lowest spenders with only £1K.

Salford spend over £76K on agents.  This says a lot about how to try and buy success. Which could be working for them.

The sad irony being that Salford could easily replace Macclesfield in the FL.

It would be good for football if agents fees could be kept to the bare minumum some time in the football, with the money staying in football at lower levels or to invest in youth football.  With the big clubs getting more powerfull, this is not likely to happen though.  

Posted by: arryarryarry, April 4, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Prem Clubs have spent £260 million on Agents' fees in 2018-19.  Up £49 million.  A different world. (BBC Sport stats).

Salford spend over £76K on agents.  This says a lot about how to try and buy success. Which could be working for them.

It would be good for football if agents fees could be kept to the bare minumum some time in the football, with the money staying in football at lower levels or to invest in youth football.  With the big clubs getting more powerfull, this is not likely to happen though.  

Who did they sign, a ball boy?
Posted by: Meza, April 4, 2019, 11:05pm; Reply: 2
It would be better if agents fees are paid by the player....after all its the player that wants the agent so I don't believe clubs should be paying.
Posted by: promotion plaice, April 4, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 3

I might have it wrong but wasn't it Hartlepool that didn't pay players agents fees and still managed to sign Podge.
Posted by: RonMariner, April 5, 2019, 12:15am; Reply: 4
Quoted from promotion plaice

I might have it wrong but wasn't it Hartlepool that didn't pay players agents fees and still managed to sign Podge.

That is still am open wound for me. he should still be here, and we would be in the play offs.

Ducks for cover........
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 5, 2019, 1:22am; Reply: 5
Quoted from RonMariner

Ducks for cover........

I’d use something else personally. They’re far too soft and won't afford much protection at all 😉
Posted by: Davec, April 5, 2019, 6:34am; Reply: 6
I've been looking for the agents spend for league 2 but I can't find it, do you have a link please
Posted by: diehardmariner, April 5, 2019, 9:24am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Meza
It would be better if agents fees are paid by the player....after all its the player that wants the agent so I don't believe clubs should be paying.

Fundamentally I agree 100%.  In practice though all this would achieve is the players demands at the top level increasing so they can give their agent a fee regardless.  This would have a domino effect and trickle down to all levels.  

The only real way of stopping these payments is to completely ban agents altogether, which will never happen.  I understand the big names having an agent as they do need someone to manage all their affairs and PR.  But players at our level...Just hire a solicitor to negotiate your contract terms, pay them the hourly rate for doing it and save yourself a fortune.
Posted by: Son of Cod, April 5, 2019, 9:58am; Reply: 8
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

We spent 38k apparently. Source was a Tweet sent to me by a Lincoln fan at work.
Posted by: rancido, April 5, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Salford owners and directors ( including their ex Manure players ) loaned the club over £2 million in interest free loans.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 5, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Son of Cod

We spent 38k apparently. Source was a Tweet sent to me by a Lincoln fan at work.

How does (s)he know?
Posted by: Impish2, April 5, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How does (s)he know?

http://www.thefa.com/news/2019/apr/04/intermediary-fees-and-transactions-040419
Posted by: jock dock tower, April 5, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 12
Pre agents, of course, transfer deals and wages were overseen by the PFA. However, as Taylor has built up his own financial empire as the highest paid Trade Union boss in the entire world with a salary of nearly £3 million this just doesn't happen anymore. As a lifelong union activist I'm totally saddened by what's happened at the PFA and just don't see what the point of it is any more.

The money that goes in agents fees is money that is being sucked out of grassroots football. All it would need would be for the likes of the top 4 or 5 Premiership clubs to turn around and say that they were not dealing with agents any more for them to disappear. Will it ever happen? Sadly I doubt it.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 5, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Impish2

Ta.

So we're about par for the course in the division. As are Lincoln.
Posted by: Helgy, April 5, 2019, 8:11pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from jock dock tower
Pre agents, of course, transfer deals and wages were overseen by the PFA. However, as Taylor has built up his own financial empire as the highest paid Trade Union boss in the entire world with a salary of nearly £3 million this just doesn't happen anymore. As a lifelong union activist I'm totally saddened by what's happened at the PFA and just don't see what the point of it is any more.

The money that goes in agents fees is money that is being sucked out of grassroots football. All it would need would be for the likes of the top 4 or 5 Premiership clubs to turn around and say that they were not dealing with agents any more for them to disappear. Will it ever happen? Sadly I doubt it.

Agree if only half of that £260 million went into the grassroots level then football would be the winner, its crazy that players need agents been told a few tales and not all but most are not worth the money.

Paying 10% of your wage every week ,engineered moves to make the agents more money ,for £500 anyone can just about become an agent.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 5, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from rancido

Salford owners and directors ( including their ex Manure players ) loaned the club over £2 million in interest free loans.

So now Salford are stuck with their current owners until those  "benign" loans are paid off.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 3:04pm