Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: pizzzza, March 12, 2019, 10:41am
GTFC v GTFC then if we win that it's GTFC v GTFC in next round. In fact, even if we lose it will be GTFC v GTFC in the next round, just not the GTFC we'd like.

[url]https://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cleethorpestown/teams/46369/news/lincolnshire-senior-cup-draw-season-201920-2405758.html[/url]

Round One (to be played by 21st July 2019)
Boston United v Scunthorpe United
Grimsby Town v Gainsborough Trinity

Quarter-Finals (to be played by 4th August 2019)
Lincoln City v Lincoln United
Grimsby Town / Gainsborough Trinity v Grantham Town
CLEETHORPES TOWN v Spalding United
Boston United / Scunthorpe United v Stamford AFC

Semi-Finals (to be played by 30th November 2019)
QF1 v QF3
QF4 v QF2

FINAL (Spring 2020) (Venue: to be confirmed)
Posted by: Paris Mariner, March 12, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 1
Oooh, what a surprise, the Lincoln based teams get a bye
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 12, 2019, 11:36am; Reply: 2
Love the pie and peas at Gainsborough so it is a pity we are at home!
Posted by: Abdul19, March 12, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 3
Any news on which cities have bid for the final?
Posted by: GrimRob, March 12, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Paris Mariner
Oooh, what a surprise, the Lincoln based teams get a bye

Isn't that a disadvantage in pre-season?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 12, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Abdul19

Think it's between

Los Cabos in Mexico , Caracas in Venezuela and Natal in Brazil  ??)
Posted by: GrimRob, March 12, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Abdul19

Grimsby, Illinois
Grimsby, Ontario
New Grimsby, Isles of Scilly
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 12, 2019, 4:33pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from GrimRob

Grimsby, Illinois
Grimsby, Ontario
New Grimsby, Isles of Scilly

I've often wondered, is there any link between New and Old Grimsby on The Isles Of Scilly and Grimsby, Lincolnshire?

Anyone know?
Posted by: Tommy, March 12, 2019, 4:49pm; Reply: 8
The final being in Spring 2020 surely means it ends up being 2 of the 3 football league clubs in it, it'd end up being two youth teams playing each other.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 12, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin

I've often wondered, is there any link between New and Old Grimsby on The Isles Of Scilly and Grimsby, Lincolnshire?

Anyone know?

Old Grimsby is on the East of the island of Tresco, New Grimsby is on the West. There is a road between them. That has to be the ultimate Grimsby Road, one that links two Grimsbys!
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 12, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from GrimRob

Old Grimsby is on the East of the island of Tresco, New Grimsby is on the West. There is a road between them. That has to be the ultimate Grimsby Road, one that links two Grimsbys!

That's another thing that's always puzzled me, why is it called Grimsby Road in Cleethorpes but just Cleethorpe Road in Grimsby, rather than CleethorpeS Road.

I puzzle about too much me.  ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 14, 2019, 2:06pm; Reply: 11
I take it no one knows the answer to these 2 puzzles then?

I'll sleep better at night if I get the answers.  ;D

Quoted from Les Brechin

Anyone know?

Quoted from Les Brechin

That's another thing that's always puzzled me, why is it called Grimsby Road in Cleethorpes but just Cleethorpe Road in Grimsby, rather than CleethorpeS Road.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 14, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin

Maybe it was named by some pedant in the council who reasoned that the road stops at the border, thus only reaching only one of the Thorpes. North Cleethorpes, if you can consider that a thorpe of Clee. Personally I'd consider it a thorpe of Cleethorpes so it's a Cleethorpesthorpe, or a sort of Grandthorpe of Clee.  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 14, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Les Brechin

Anyone know?

Maybe not. Some etymologies of 'Grimsby' link it to one of the names of Odin, and there are other place names starting with Grim....Grimsdyke, Grimstone, Grimsthorpe....so there's lots of similarly named places so it might be coincidence. Although, kind of linked if this etymology is right.

This thread doesn't answer your question but it's interesting if you like that sort of thing (local Notes and Queries) http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/how-did-grimsby-get-its-name
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 14, 2019, 6:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Maybe not. Some etymologies of 'Grimsby' link it to one of the names of Odin, and there are other place names starting with Grim....Grimsdyke, Grimstone, Grimsthorpe....so there's lots of similarly named places so it might be coincidence. Although, kind of linked if this etymology is right.

This thread doesn't answer your question but it's interesting if you like that sort of thing (local Notes and Queries) http://www.rodcollins.com/wordpress/how-did-grimsby-get-its-name

Interesting site that. Thanks.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 16, 2019, 2:50pm; Reply: 15
It will be Grimsby Rd (Cleethorpes) as it leads to Grimsby and vice versa. Just as we have London Rd starts halfway across Stoke and is the main Rd towards the south and also Liverpool Rd starting at the same point leading north.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, March 16, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 16
Maybe they just run out of the letter "s" at the time!?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 16, 2019, 3:49pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Madeleymariner
It will be Grimsby Rd (Cleethorpes) as it leads to Grimsby and vice versa. Just as we have London Rd starts halfway across Stoke and is the main Rd towards the south and also Liverpool Rd starting at the same point leading north.

Les was wondering why it's Cleethorpe and not Cleethorpes
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:08pm