Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: IrishMariner, March 7, 2019, 12:23pm
Some might argue this should go into the ex-players thread but Pádraig Amond has just been named in the provisional squad for Ireland's games versus Georgia and Gibraltar  :)

UTM (and UT former M)
Posted by: Abdul19, March 7, 2019, 12:28pm; Reply: 1
Wow, can't say I saw that one coming but well done to him, nice to see him getting some recognition.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 7, 2019, 12:38pm; Reply: 2
Well deserved Podge has done well this season against good teams from the championship and the prem ,

I can see him moving in the summer to play at a higher level.
Posted by: Davec, March 7, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 3
I thought he wasn't good enough for League 2 level? Don't forget Scott Vernon was deemed to be better
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 7, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Davec
I thought he wasn't good enough for League 2 level? Don't forget Scott Vernon was deemed to be better

If we had Podge and Thomas all season we would be top 3 now,

Petty Hurst is at fault for pissing him off.
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 7, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 5
Type of poacher that would score goals at any level if the team around him can create the chances. Good luck Podge!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from IrishMariner
Some might argue this should go into the ex-players thread but Pádraig Amond has just been named in the provisional squad for Ireland's games versus Georgia and Gibraltar  :)

UTM (and UT former M)

Bah! A flat track bully should cope with minnows like Georgia and Gib. He won't score against the proper teams like Slovakia and Bosnia.

;)
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, March 7, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimsby pete

God not this again 🤦🏼‍♂️
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 7, 2019, 1:23pm; Reply: 8
Well done indeed to Podge!  :)

Maybe there are a few ahead of him in the reckoning for the 1st team but at least he's been recognised for what he is....  a hard working, talented goal scorer with a lot to prove!
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 1:38pm; Reply: 9
If Amond is good enough to get in the Ireland squad, on the back of him playing well in League 2, is James McKeown worthy of a call-up as well?  I'd argue he is.  I'd also argue that he's English (that's a whole other discussion!), but I know he represented Ireland at Youth level, and I'm sure he would not let them down at Senior level either.
Posted by: Rick12, March 7, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 10
Good on him. Personally I think he is a useful player.Of the times I saw him play he was technically good .

Ive seen some youth team games with other clubs in the past where players who I thought would never make championship and premiership did and even played for the  Republic of  Ireland .The key is though these players had something eg a physical presence,pace that gave them a advantage over others .Amond in my view technically was better than some of these who went on to play for Ireland but what he lacks is a real asset to his game.For me and this  a view shared by ex professionals I have spoken to is the reason  why some  players make it to the higher levels and others dont .
Posted by: Abdul19, March 7, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Heisenberg
If Amond is good enough to get in the Ireland squad, on the back of him playing well in League 2, is James McKeown worthy of a call-up as well?  I'd argue he is.  I'd also argue that he's English (that's a whole other discussion!), but I know he represented Ireland at Youth level, and I'm sure he would not let them down at Senior level either.

There's 5 keepers in this squad, so I can't see it happening anytime soon/he's not on their radar.
Posted by: GrimRob, March 7, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 12
Just goes to show there's plenty of talent in the lower leagues.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

There's 5 keepers in this squad, so I can't see it happening anytime soon/he's not on their radar.

5?!! Who are they? I thought Ireland were probably struggling in this position. I must have got that one wrong.
Posted by: golfer, March 7, 2019, 6:55pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from grimsby pete

I blame Allenby Chiltern for letting Tommy Briggs go
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, March 7, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 15
Well done Podge. Nice bloke too.
Posted by: livosnose, March 7, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jimgtfc
Type of poacher that would score goals at any level if the team around him can create the chances. Good luck Podge!

Think he is more than a poacher . He’s got 7 assists this season as well !
Posted by: RonMariner, March 7, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 17
Well he's scored against Spurs, Leicester and Man City recently. Not too may premier league strikers have done that in the same period.
Posted by: immariner, March 7, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 18
It's a fantastic honour for him and he's having a cracking season, proving himself to be the excellent League 2 striker he showed he could be. However, I do think it's more a case of where the RoI team are at the moment, rather than how good Padraig Amond is. I can't see him making the 23 but I hope he does.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 19
Bit overdue considering his goal record and some of the donkeys Ireland would face that play in European International football these days.
Posted by: WetFlannel, March 8, 2019, 7:08am; Reply: 20
It’s a provisional squad which is why there’s 5 keepers. Just hope Amond makes the cut!
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, March 8, 2019, 7:55am; Reply: 21
Quoted from GrimRob
Just goes to show there's plenty of talent in the lower leagues. how poor the Irish squad is

Posted by: LondonMariner43, March 8, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 22
I’m only moderately interested in someone who used to play for us a few years ago and turned down a new contract when first offered to him
Posted by: chaos33, March 8, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 23
.......is half of the story.

We loved him and he loved us and he should have played for us in L2 because he's a great striker.

His goals were the main contribution to our return to the league, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I hope he plays and scores. He's earned that.

Go on Podge!
Posted by: Rick12, March 8, 2019, 7:05pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from chaos33
.......is half of the story.

We loved him and he loved us and he should have played for us in L2 because he's a great striker.

His goals were the main contribution to our return to the league, and for that, I'm eternally grateful. I hope he plays and scores. He's earned that.

Go on Podge!

Only saw them twice albeit cameos  but I thought he was better technically than Bogel.
Posted by: sydney, March 8, 2019, 7:27pm; Reply: 25
Dreadful shame he left us
Good Luck to him
Come on Town at Creepy Crawley
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 9:35pm