Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 7, 2019, 12:22pm
Massive well done to Harry Clifton who has been called up to train with the Wales U21 squad later this month.
Posted by: Hagrid, March 7, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 1
And podge also in the FULL ireland squad😳! Well done harry
Posted by: Abdul19, March 7, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 2
Nice one Harry!  :) (who knew he could play for Wales?!)
Posted by: Bigdog, March 7, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Abdul19

You can see the Clifton Bridge from Wales. That's enough for Welsh FA qualification..
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 7, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 4
Well done Harry 8)
Posted by: LH, March 7, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 5
Anyone know what the Welsh for “he’s one of our own” is?
Posted by: Abdul19, March 7, 2019, 12:41pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Bigdog

You can see the Clifton Bridge from Wales. That's enough for Welsh FA qualification..

http://abdulspoultry.co.uk/

*calls Ryan Giggs*
Posted by: 1mickylyons, March 7, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 7
The lad`s gonna be a star and great to see some recognition he must be one of the most improved players in the league in the past 18 months.Well done Harry.
Posted by: jimgtfc, March 7, 2019, 12:52pm; Reply: 8
Well done Harry! There’s some good welsh youngsters up and coming so he’s done really well to get into that set up.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, March 7, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from LH

"mae'n un ohonom ein hunain"   but how you pronounce it is another matter,  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 10
Wow! Well done Harry.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 7, 2019, 1:11pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Bigdog

I guess they're not bothered about the suspension?  ;)
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 12
This is typical of the smaller nations calling up players who they have a tenuous link with.  He should turn them down and wait for the England call up.  I'm not kidding, if I made it as a player I would have done this, even though the chances of a player making the England squad are minute.  Maybe Harry feels Welsh, but if he doesn't, he shouldn't take them up on this offer, even if the rules state he can change allegiances at a later date.
Posted by: fiveallive, March 7, 2019, 1:46pm; Reply: 13
Did Harry go on holiday to Wales last spring.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 7, 2019, 1:48pm; Reply: 14
I did last year
Posted by: Mallyner, March 7, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Abdul19

His Granny once bought a pound of leeks on Freemo Market.  :)

Joking apart, well done Harry.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 2:38pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from LH

Dunno. Maybe we should change the word's to 'his real name is Owen, Harry Clifton, his real name is Owen'.

Or is his surname really Llifton?
Posted by: 4055 (Guest), March 7, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 17
can he still be one of our own if he`s welsh. ?????? just a thought. :-/
Posted by: Abdul19, March 7, 2019, 3:10pm; Reply: 18
He can be from Grimsby AND have Welsh ancestry, you know!
Posted by: Rik e B, March 7, 2019, 3:26pm; Reply: 19
Wait for England? Let's be realistic here. Wales make it to big tournaments nowadays so it's an opportunity he'd be daft to pass up on.

Imo.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 7, 2019, 3:37pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner

"mae'n un ohonom ein hunain"   but how you pronounce it is another matter,  ;D ;D ;D

Who's coat is that jacket
Posted by: grimps, March 7, 2019, 4:07pm; Reply: 21
I never knew he was a Hymn singer
Posted by: CodHead, March 7, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 22
Won't he miss a few games for us
During the international break
Won't that be a downfall to us
Posted by: grimps, March 7, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from CodHead
Won't he miss a few games for us
During the international break
Won't that be a downfall to us

They’ll improve him , playing alongside players from leagues above will be great for him at his age .
Think of it as free coaching , plus if teams come knocking to try and poach him away from us it’ll cost them a bit more if he gets a cap or two
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 5:02pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Rik e B
Wait for England? Let's be realistic here. Wales make it to big tournaments nowadays so it's an opportunity he'd be daft to pass up on.

Imo.

I don’t mean that. What I meant was, if you’re English you shouldn’t just look at playing for Wales/NI/Ireland/Scotland because you might have a chance to play for them. You’re either English or you’re not. Being English but not good enough to play for England should mean you accept you’ll never play international football. A call up shouldn’t be seen as an opportunity to further your career.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 7, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Heisenberg

I don’t mean that. What I meant was, if you’re English you shouldn’t just look at playing for Wales/NI/Ireland/Scotland because you might have a chance to play for them. You’re either English or you’re not. Being English but not good enough to play for England should mean you accept you’ll never play international football. A call up shouldn’t be seen as an opportunity to further your career.

Slightly xenophobia attitude there...he may have been born in England but his grandfather is Welsh and still has that side of his family in Wales .so, he has Welsh blood running through him therefore he is not 100% English...
And if any footballer can use any tool at his disposal to further their career good on them!!...what's wrong with being driven to better yourself??...unless being sat on ya couch and upgrading from FIFA 18 to FIFA 19 is anyone's idea of bettering themselves!!..
Finally, well done Harry and well done to all involved with GTFC that have helped improve his game enough to get this call up..
Posted by: ska face, March 7, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Heisenberg

Maybe he doesn’t buy in to the odd little Englander mentality?
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from ska face

Maybe he doesn’t buy in to the odd little Englander mentality?

I just don’t agree with hedging your bets. If he feels Welsh because of his parentage or whatever, no issues from me. I just don’t agree with players seeing what options they have on the table. I honestly think players should have to announce their nationality when they become professional, and this should be irreversible. It’s just an idea.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 7, 2019, 5:56pm; Reply: 28
I certainly disagree with players changing nations after already playing at a post age 16 age level (eg Declan Rice how can he possibly say he takes pride wearing an England shirt in the future) but a bit unfair having to make a decision before you are anywhere near being chosen to represent a country.
Posted by: mimma, March 7, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 29
Playing for U21s doesn't rule him out of England reckoning.  Rice has played for N. Ireland but has since announced that he wants to play for England.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Heisenberg

I just don’t agree with hedging your bets. If he feels Welsh because of his parentage or whatever, no issues from me. I just don’t agree with players seeing what options they have on the table. I honestly think players should have to announce their nationality when they become professional, and this should be irreversible. It’s just an idea.

Has it not occurred to you that some people feel loyalty to two nationalities? Some can even feel affinity to 3 (parents from different countries and born in a third). Choosing between them is impossible.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Has it not occurred to you that some people feel loyalty to two nationalities? Some can even feel affinity to 3 (parents from different countries and born in a third). Choosing between them is impossible.

But ultimately that player has to choose ONE at some point, right? Life is full of tough decisions, but I would say this isn’t one of them.
Posted by: moosey_club, March 7, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 32

Exactly ...... except he chose Wales  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 6:29pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from moosey_club

Exactly ...... except he chose Wales  ;D

For now.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 7, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Heisenberg

But ultimately that player has to choose ONE at some point, right? Life is full of tough decisions, but I would say this isn’t one of them.

Why should you choose? Do you love your mum or your dad?
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 7, 2019, 6:38pm; Reply: 35

Why should you choose? Do you love your mum or your dad?

You’re so condescending. Of course you have to choose at some point regarding sport.

Anyway, who says Harry has chosen? Wales have chosen to call him up, we have no idea if he’s receptive to their advances. I’m sure he is, but he’ll play for Wales as they’ve called him up, not because he rang up the Welsh FA proclaiming his loyalty to them.

That’s me done on this subject, I’m not getting into your t#t-for-tat silliness.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 7, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Heisenberg

You’re so condescending. Of course you have to choose at some point regarding sport.

Anyway, who says Harry has chosen? Wales have chosen to call him up, we have no idea if he’s receptive to their advances. I’m sure he is, but he’ll play for Wales as they’ve called him up, not because he rang up the Welsh FA proclaiming his loyalty to them.

That’s me done on this subject, I’m not getting into your t#t-for-tat silliness.

FFS Does it really matter. He's never going to play for England and unless he's playing in the Premier League or top half of the Championship he's not going to play for Wales at the top level either. The days are gone when Wales, Ireland, N Ireland et al were picking Div 4 or League of Ireland players for full international duty. It will be an excellent experience for him tho'
Posted by: friskneymariner, March 7, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from grimps

They’ll improve him , playing alongside players from leagues above will be great for him at his age .
Think of it as free coaching , plus if teams come knocking to try and poach him away from us it’ll cost them a bit more if he gets a cap or two

Just like Darrend Barnard :-/
Posted by: golfer, March 7, 2019, 7:00pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Bigdog

I got pssed up as a teenager and tried to walk across it on the hand rails
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 7, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS Does it really matter. He's never going to play for England and unless he's playing in the Premier League or top half of the Championship he's not going to play for Wales at the top level either. The days are gone when Wales, Ireland, N Ireland et al were picking Div 4 or League of Ireland players for full international duty. It will be an excellent experience for him tho'

Flawed statement swin...look at the Irish squad that McCarthy has just named!!
Posted by: Son of Cod, March 7, 2019, 7:39pm; Reply: 40
As long as he knows he will lose his England passport. Brexit means Brexit after all. Most importantly, will we be able to get a work permit for him next season?

All joking aside, congratulations to him. He's had a great season and this will look favourably on the club as well.
Posted by: Ipswin, March 7, 2019, 8:12pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Flawed statement swin...look at the Irish squad that McCarthy has just named!!

I don't think it's flawed at all, I don't recognise all the names but I'll bet there aren't many Bog United from the League of Ireland players in there and I'll wager there won't be many outside of Premier League and Championship if any who actually play, anyway Clifton is in the kids squad not the seniors there's a bit of a difference

By the way are you one of those who said Bogle would play for England?

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 7, 2019, 8:16pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Ipswin

He did play for England
Posted by: hheh2, March 7, 2019, 8:23pm; Reply: 43
Harry Clifton is doing a Declan Rice
Posted by: ivanosandwich, March 7, 2019, 8:24pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Heisenberg
This is typical of the smaller nations calling up players who they have a tenuous link with.  He should turn them down and wait for the England call up.  I'm not kidding, if I made it as a player I would have done this, even though the chances of a player making the England squad are minute.  Maybe Harry feels Welsh, but if he doesn't, he shouldn't take them up on this offer, even if the rules state he can change allegiances at a later date.

Is that why he's got a groin strain?
Posted by: Ipswin, March 7, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

He did play for England

Football not monopoly!

Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 7, 2019, 9:08pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

Football not monopoly!

🤔
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 7, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't think it's flawed at all, I don't recognise all the names but I'll bet there aren't many Bog United from the League of Ireland players in there and I'll wager there won't be many outside of Premier League and Championship if any who actually play, anyway Clifton is in the kids squad not the seniors there's a bit of a difference

“kids squad”........?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, March 7, 2019, 9:33pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Ipswin

Nope!!..always knew he was probably no better than league 1...great for us in the conference/early part of league 2 but you could see he wasn't quick enough in his thinking to have any joy against better quality defenders.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 8, 2019, 2:37am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Heisenberg

My son was born in England. We now live in Ireland. He could play for either England, Ireland or Northern Ireland. So, who does he choose!

If your job meant you working abroad to better yourself, am sure you would!

Posted by: Ipswin, March 8, 2019, 9:52am; Reply: 50
Quoted from HertsGTFC

“kids squad”........?

It's the U21s isn't it? Not the full squad surely.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 8, 2019, 10:11am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Heisenberg

What's condescending about asking you a rhetorical question that shows that identity isn't straightforward decision?
Posted by: AdamHaddock, March 8, 2019, 10:19am; Reply: 52
Well done Harry. I wonder if Collins had any sway in this
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, March 8, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 53
Awesome at a personal level and bound to add some ÂŁ to his value if anyone comes poaching!
Posted by: rancido, March 8, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Ipswin

I would hardly call the Under 21's the kids squad. Many players under the age of 21 have made full England debuts in the SENIOR squad and some under 20 - Marcus Rashford and Wayne Rooney to name 2 who were under 19.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, March 8, 2019, 12:15pm; Reply: 55
Add a few ÂŁÂŁÂŁÂŁ when his contract is up too
Posted by: sam gy, March 8, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from 4055
can he still be one of our own if he`s welsh. ?????? just a thought. :-/

*Sigh*
Posted by: Rik e B, March 8, 2019, 10:03pm; Reply: 57
His Grandad is Welsh, thus making him eligible. He still from Grimsby though. Christ Almighty.
Posted by: somersetmariner, March 9, 2019, 9:13am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Bigdog

very good :)

Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:49am