Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: lukeo, February 25, 2019, 8:09am
But I want Lincoln to beat Exeter tomorrow night, if it gives us any small remote chance of getting into the play offs... Also see Lincoln have FGR on Saturday, hate to say it but I hope they win that to!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 25, 2019, 8:33am; Reply: 1
Up The Imps  :-/
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 25, 2019, 9:39am; Reply: 2
Who'd have believed that most towns supporters are actually hoping the gimps win a match...still be cheating, dirty barstewards but if it keeps us in the hunt then so be it ..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 25, 2019, 9:47am; Reply: 3
I find it very hard to want the Gimps to win - a draw would be OK.
Posted by: psgmariner, February 25, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 4
I’d rather Lincoln lose. Can’t see us winning the required number of games anyway so for them to implode and stay in the basement division with us would be lovely.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 25, 2019, 10:44am; Reply: 5
Quoted from psgmariner
I’d rather Lincoln lose. Can’t see us winning the required number of games anyway so for them to implode and stay in the basement division with us would be lovely.

Happy with that. If Carlsberg did football seasons.....

Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2019, 10:50am; Reply: 6
...we'd get promoted.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 25, 2019, 11:19am; Reply: 7
We want Lincoln to go up so we can have a derby with them next season  ;)
Posted by: Caveman, February 25, 2019, 12:44pm; Reply: 8
This reminds me of back in 1962 when about 5000 Mariners' fans went
to Sincil Bank to support Lincoln against QPR, our promotion rivals.

We wasted our time as Lincoln lost 5 nil.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 25, 2019, 12:48pm; Reply: 9
I sometimes wonder if I’m the only Town fan left that genuinely doesn’t give a shite about Lincoln 🤔
Posted by: moosey_club, February 25, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 10
I think Lincoln have had their blip now unfortunately...4 draws recently and just scraping through in some of them...back to winning ways on Saturday so really cant see them falling out of the top 3 now.......agree with the original sentiment, let them beat our rivals and allow us to extend our season through to the play offs or at least give us a few more games of hope of reaching them.
We still have a few teams above us to play so hope of reeling some of them in as well.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 25, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from jimgtfc
I sometimes wonder if I’m the only Town fan left that genuinely doesn’t give a shite about Lincoln 🤔

You're not alone.

I suppose it's a reflection of how far we've fallen.  I grew up watching Town in the very early 90's, so it was Barnsley who were our rivals.  Then after Buckley left for West Brom they became our rival for a fair few years, then it became Sheffield Wednesday and their massive chip on the shoulder.

Until the double relegations between 2002 and 2004, both Lincoln and Scunny were non-entities in my mind.  In fact I wanted them to do well as local sides, we often loaned players out to them or lads who didn't quite make the grade with us got a second chance with them.  We switched leagues with Hull in 2004 so missed out on any rivalry with them and even in that first season in League Two, I saw Scunny as more a rival than Lincoln.  The next season both Town and Lincoln were promotion chasing and met in the play-offs so it brought us together over that but other than it being our most local game, it wasn't anything more than that.  Since then, which was 13 years ago, we've not really competed with them.  We languished for a few years before relegation, they didn't.  In the Conference we were pushing for promotion, they weren't.  

It's a rivalry of convenience in the absence of any real rivals.   As the side most local to us over a consistent basis for the last 15 years, there's bound to be something emerging.  
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 25, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 12
Top three look set. Play offs much tighter. We need to bridge a five point gap to that bunch to be right in the mix. I think we could be 2 closer to it after Saturday.
Posted by: supertown, February 25, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from jimgtfc

I don’t , it was always hull for me and I still love it when they lose
Posted by: CodHead, February 25, 2019, 5:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Up The Imps  :-/

That's way too far
:)
Posted by: Rick12, February 25, 2019, 5:56pm; Reply: 15
I like to see Lincoln promoted.There a local club and its nice to see local clubs do well.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 25, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Rick12
I like to see Lincoln promoted.There a local club and its nice to see local clubs do well.

I doubt many Lincoln fans would think the same about us if it was us in their position.....I'm still hoping they miss out on promotion but it's looking unlikely now.

Posted by: Rick12, February 25, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from promotion plaice

I doubt many Lincoln fans would think the same about us if it was us in their position.....I'm still hoping they miss out on promotion but it's looking unlikely now.

I can see the Cowleys moving on within the next 2 years if they continue to do well.I know Danny Cowley gave up his secure job of  a pe teacher to go into management. Personally if I was in his shoes I would have stayed a teacher rather  than enter the uncertainty of football management.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 25, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 18
Really? I guess you definitely would have stayed an investment banker then.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 25, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Rick12
I can see the Cowleys moving on within the next 2 years if they continue to do well.I know Danny Cowley gave up his secure job of  a pe teacher to go into management. Personally if I was in his shoes I would have stayed a teacher rather  than enter the uncertainty of football management.

Why thay have gone  into one of the only careers that pay failures handsomely, and given their success over the last few years there is going to be stream of suitors wanting to employ them, and they have got their teaching experience to call on should they ever find they need a career change
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 25, 2019, 6:57pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from lukeo
But I want Lincoln to beat Exeter tomorrow night, if it gives us any small remote chance of getting into the play offs... Also see Lincoln have FGR on Saturday, hate to say it but I hope they win that to!

Do you hate to say it as much as singing with the Scunny fans  ;D

Lincoln look like going up in 1 of the 3 automatic promotion slots so they can go up in 3rd place for me.

I've always looked at Lincoln the same as the Scunts, they hate us more than we hate them, got to feel for them living so long in our shadow and maybe if a few of them stopped licking urine off nettles they wouldn't have that gurning look on their faces.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LiVZgi0.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Rick12, February 25, 2019, 7:09pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Why thay have gone  into one of the only careers that pay failures handsomely, and given their success over the last few years there is going to be stream of suitors wanting to employ them, and they have got their teaching experience to call on should they ever find they need a career change
True but getting back into a teaching job wont be easy though. Upheaval of searching for jobs again.Having said that if thats their true passion then they probably should go for it and like you said they do have something to fall back on. Sadly some many players in today's game at lower league level dont have nothing to fall back on once their careers are over.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2019, 7:10pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from promotion plaice

Yeah, but we're not tossers like them
Posted by: Abdul19, February 25, 2019, 9:04pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Rick12

I heard they left because the parents were questioning the decision to continually hoof the ball to the fat kid up top.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2019, 9:19pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Abdul19

I heard they left because the parents were questioning the decision to continually hoof the ball to the fat kid up top.

I heard they had to leave because they were constantly berating the examiners for not giving their pupils higher marks.
Posted by: lukeo, February 26, 2019, 7:16am; Reply: 25
You'll never let that go will you marinerz93 will you  ;D
Posted by: moosey_club, February 26, 2019, 8:26am; Reply: 26
Quoted from lukeo
You'll never let that go will you marinerz93 will you  ;D

Lest we forget .. ;D
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 26, 2019, 11:17am; Reply: 27
Quoted from CodHead

That's way too far
:)

FCUK the Imps - that better?  :P

Posted by: promotion plaice, February 26, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from lukeo

Latest score.......Lincoln 0-1 Exeter

Posted by: lukeo, February 26, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 29
The one time I actually want them to win they lose.. Its tough aswell because Exeter are my 2nd team now I live down this way (No, not Scunthorpe Marinerz93)..... Anymore
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 26, 2019, 8:54pm; Reply: 30

In the National League it looks like Chesterfield are going to pull off the great escape....won their last three and winning away at Barnet tonight.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 26, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 31
Akinde pen scores in the 95th min.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 26, 2019, 9:53pm; Reply: 32
Happy with that - FGR v Imps on Saturday- another draw will do nicely and a Town win
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 27, 2019, 8:25am; Reply: 33
I think we as fans, should just enjoy the remaining 11 games with basically 1% chance of relegation, and maybe 10% chance of play-offs being realistic.

It's a good time to sit back and relax at BP, enjoy the football MJ has produced, and just enjoy being able to watch our team again.

Then next season, we go again!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 27, 2019, 8:32am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
I think we as fans, should just enjoy the remaining 11 games with basically 1% chance of relegation, and maybe 10% chance of play-offs being realistic.

It's a good time to sit back and relax at BP, enjoy the football MJ has produced, and just enjoy being able to watch our team again.

Which one of the 12 remaining games will we not enjoy then?!?!  ;)

Posted by: 140067 (Guest), February 27, 2019, 8:45am; Reply: 35
I'd love to see us, Lincoln Hull and Scunthorpe in the same league as long as we finished above them and beat them every time. ;)
Posted by: toontown, February 27, 2019, 12:28pm; Reply: 36
Have all 4 clubs ever been in the same division at once?
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 27, 2019, 12:51pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Marinerz93

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LiVZgi0.jpg[/img]

I would like to know where the hell you got that photograph of the wife's identical triplet brothers.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 27, 2019, 12:57pm; Reply: 38
Not in my time of watching Town (late 80's/early 90's).  Closest was 2004/05.  Season before Town were relegated from the third tier into the fourth, Hull were promoted from the fourth to the third.  

In that season Lincoln were losing semi-finalists in the play-offs to Huddersfield and Scunny (helped by an on-loan Paul Groves) only guaranteed safety from dropping to the Conference on the second to last game!
Posted by: mike502, February 27, 2019, 1:23pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from toontown
Have all 4 clubs ever been in the same division at once?

Short answer: No

Longer answer: there have been 30 seasons when three of the four have been in the same division:

Town, Lincoln and Hull have all been in the same division for 11 seasons (1905-08, 1909-10, 1912-15, 1919-20, 1933-34 in div 2, 1961-62 and 1978-79 in div 3).

Town, Lincoln and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 9 seasons (1951-2 in div 3(N), 1958-59 in div 2, 1968-72 and 1988-90 in div 4, 2004-5 in league 2).

Town, Hull and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 2 seasons (1964-66 in div 3).

Lincoln, Hull and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 8 seasons (1959-60 in div 2, 1983-84 in div 3, 1996-98 and 2000-2004 in "new" div 3).

And before anyone else points it out, yes, I should get out more.
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 27, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Yep. We haven't had a "normal" season in quite a while. Last year was a dogfight, the one before we had three different managers and then it was back to back to back to back playoff campaigns. I'm really enjoying feeling comfortable and not having expectations for the end of this season.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 27, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Which one of the 12 remaining games will we not enjoy then?!?!  ;)

Oooops.

Crawley away, dreading it  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 27, 2019, 6:40pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I agree we need to be realistic, and I would always advise trying to enjoy the football, but I'd hate to think a more laid back attitude transmits itself to the pitch. With 12 games to go and (effectively) 8 points adrift there's still a lot of hope.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 28, 2019, 1:44pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from mike502

Short answer: No

Longer answer: there have been 30 seasons when three of the four have been in the same division:

Town, Lincoln and Hull have all been in the same division for 11 seasons (1905-08, 1909-10, 1912-15, 1919-20, 1933-34 in div 2, 1961-62 and 1978-79 in div 3).

Town, Lincoln and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 9 seasons (1951-2 in div 3(N), 1958-59 in div 2, 1968-72 and 1988-90 in div 4, 2004-5 in league 2).

Town, Hull and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 2 seasons (1964-66 in div 3).

Lincoln, Hull and Scunthorpe have all been in the same division for 8 seasons (1959-60 in div 2, 1983-84 in div 3, 1996-98 and 2000-2004 in "new" div 3).

And before anyone else points it out, yes, I should get out more.

Maybe a typo Mike but 78-79 we were in Division 4 ( promoted under John Newman with George Kerr as the assistant )
Posted by: mike502, February 28, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Maybe a typo Mike but 78-79 we were in Division 4 ( promoted under John Newman with George Kerr as the assistant )

Blimey, someone actually read what I typed? You're quite right of course and I can't see where that error has come from. Of course, that means you probably shouldn't trust the rest of it either...
Print page generated: May 7, 2024, 2:20am