Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: barralad, February 23, 2019, 5:24pm
Absolutely non-event first half. Only talking points one brilliant, one good and one regulation save from Macca. Would like to see the tackle on Embleton again that looked like it was two footed with studs raised.
Second half continued in the same vein until the love child of Mark Lever and Britt Ekland "earned" his second booking.
They duly scored with Macca just unable to recover quickly enough after another great block.
Cue the inspired substitution of the day when Dennis entered the fray.
Town equalised within a couple of minutes although Hendrie's header owed much to the consistently shite performance of the lino.
So used do we appear to be at playing with ten men that we believe we can win from that position. They hit the post with Macca beaten but at the other end a rejuvenated Embo and a fresh Dennis could have won it for Town. MOM Macca.
Town fans in great voice again. The new song for Jolley based on the 80s Chaka Khan hit Ain't Nobody deserves another airing.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, February 23, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 1
Insipid first half, inspired second half.
Posted by: buckstown, February 23, 2019, 7:01pm; Reply: 2
Well that was weird, rubbish for an hour and inspired for 30 minutes with 10 men.
First time I've seen Ludwig and Ring (sounds like Las Vegas magicians) and very impressed with both. Both bookings looked fairly easy for the ref and tellingly Robinson won two key headers once Ludwig had gone, one for the goal and one from the inside of the post.
First half don't think Ive seen two teams give the ball away as often as they did today, they both looked neat and tidy then one poor pass after another
Thought we picked up when Clifton came on but the change after we conceded was remarkable. We went for it, scored quickly, although Hendrie looked well offside to me, and could have won it.
Dennis looks a real live wire, sitting on the last defender and had two good chances, I'd start him next week. I left wondering what might have happened if we'd gone for Swindon earlier as I thought they looked ok going forward but fragile defensively.
We're safe from the drop and need wins so don't think we have anything to lose going for wins, unless MJ is using it as next seasons preparation
Great support as ever
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 3
Well 3 points next week gives us 50 then we can relax a little bit and just go for it for the last 11 games.
Posted by: Bigdog, February 23, 2019, 7:36pm; Reply: 4
Even if we're trying to suck teams in to counter attack them, we're way too deep which isolates our front two who have to battle for semi-wayward balls forward. If we play through the lines we're fairly ponderous in doing so. Hess apart, I thought our midfield was very ineffective as a unit until we conceded.

Positives

Couple of good saves from Macca
Hess everywhere
Clifton and Dennis gave us a lift
Never say die attitude when down to ten
Wing backs were solid
Great turnout and noise by the fans

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep
Ohman a walking red card with his clumsiness
Poor movement off the ball when in possession, we're a bit static and predictable
Aimless hoofs forward after Swindon let us pass it around our defence
Wing backs didn't get forward (until Hendrie's goal)

Next game..

Clifton for Woolford for energy in midfield
Dennis for Cook for goal threat and movement
RHJ for Ohman who's banned
Whitmore for Collins so we defend higher and more on the front foot

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played compared to the talents we have. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games (FA Cup obsessed Newport apart) for the first 70....

We're a work in progress possibly half way to the finished article, and the results are important and welcome, but our style of football isn't entertaining me..
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, February 23, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Bigdog
Even if we're trying to suck teams in to counter attack them, we're way too deep which isolates our front two who have to battle for semi-wayward balls forward. If we play through the lines we're fairly ponderous in doing so. Hess apart, I thought our midfield was very ineffective as a unit until we conceded.

Positives

Hess everywhere
Wing backs were solid

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep
Poor movement off the ball when in possession, we're a bit static and predictable

Next game..

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games for the first 70....

We're a work in progress possibly half way to the finished article, and the results are important and welcome, but our style of football isn't entertaining me..

Oh I see negative norman is back!

Some good football played in the 2nd half and thought we could have got one or maybe 2 more. We seem to get a kick up the a*se when we're down to 10 men.
47 points and we sit 11th. I'll take that for now. Definitely can see the team that we want to be coming through. Confident and Strong.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 23, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 6
Can't add too much more to what's already been said. Ludwig is awesome in the air but looks like an accident waiting to happen when the ball is on the ground.can't argue with the red card. Much more impressed with ring who looks v solid. We did well to escape with a draw as they couldve been 2 or 3 up in the first ten..v poor going forward we just went to pieces as soon as we crossed the halfway line..thoma s had a day to forget with nothing really sticking whilst cook ran about a lot but it was telling that Dennis achieved more in 15 mins than cook did in 65 mins. Midfield was ineffective apart from the excellent hessenthaler .once the sending off had happened we suddenly changed into a different team inspired by a previously anonymous embleton and the v.impressive dennis.looked a very offside equaliser.
Overall a point gained and we look a much better unit than 12 months ago here and even from 3-4 months ago.it's definitely a job maybe not even half done as we desperately need a bit of pace and invention..
Last thing is just to mention what a disgrace Robinson is to his profession.his diving and cheating were just embarrassing
Posted by: Bigdog, February 23, 2019, 8:19pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

Oh I see negative norman is back!

Some good football played in the 2nd half and thought we could have got one or maybe 2 more. We seem to get a kick up the a*se when we're down to 10 men.
47 points and we sit 11th. I'll take that for now. Definitely can see the team that we want to be coming through. Confident and Strong.

I'm not being negative, I'm being positive about the talent we've got in the squad. As for the second half, we didn't get out of our half until they scored. I'm trying to put a level view on the performance and discussing ways how we could improve. Call it more frustrated Freddie..

But thanks again for your thoughful insight into today's game. The one thing we didn't look was confident or strong on the ball for most of the game, we couldn't wait to get rid of it when they put us under pressure and played the ball backwards far more than we ever did forwards..

Swindon were there for the taking and we afforded them far too much respect and let them get a foothold in the game far too easily..
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Bigdog

Positives

Hess everywhere
Wing backs were solid

Negatives

Ponderous going forward
Defence looked slow
Defence way too deep

Next game..

Seems a strange thing to say after winning 13 points out of 15 and only six points off the play offs, but I think the squad is underachieving when it comes to the standard of football played compared to the talents we have. I don't think the current starting eleven and playing style is sustainable for a real go at it next season let alone the play offs this. If Swindon could finish they could have had a hatful without putting us under a great deal of pressure..

Exciting last ten or fifteen minutes but I was seriously underwhelmed like the previous few games (FA Cup obsessed Newport apart) for the first 70....

Thought you’d been a bit quiet, what do you honestly expect? I’m not sure it chimes with the current reality.

The lads are “together” and working really hard, the manager had a great Jan window and is picking teams to win games, sometimes it may not work.

Unlike some managers though MJ is being true to his word and giving Youth a chance but to make this work you have to pick the likes of Collins and Woolly to get the kids through the games.

The supporters, players and wider club feel like they’re moving in the same direction with 2 really positive events organised by the Trust this week. The “non chairman’ even admitted MJ needed a bit more budget 😱

If your not entertained I’d not worry too much as the X Factor will be back soon.

At the moment I’d advise against over thinking it!
Posted by: Bigdog, February 23, 2019, 8:36pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Thought you’d been a bit quiet, what do you honestly expect? I’m not sure it chimes with the current reality.

The lads are “together” and working really hard, the manager had a great Jan window and is picking teams to win games, sometimes it may not work. Unlike some managers though MJ is being true to his word and giving

Youth a chance but to make this work you have to pick the likes of Collins and Woolly to get the kids through the games.

The supporters, players and wider club feel like they’re moving in the same direction with 2 really positive events organised by the Trust this week. The “non chairman’ even admitted MJ needed a bit more budget 😱

If your not entertained I’d not worry too much as the X Factor will be back soon.

At the moment I’d advise against over thinking it!

Dunno Herts, something a bit more like the front foot style we played against Lincoln,Tranmere and others. Maybe it's Clifton we're missing to do that. I know I sound stupid after the past five results, but something seems to be missing to me. It's like we instantly gift the opposition the impetus and momentum with how we set up without having the full ammunition of being a swift counter attacking team.

Just chatting about the individual games tactically rather than overall view, run of results and points haul etc..
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 23, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm not being negative, I'm being positive about the talent we've got in the squad. As for the second half, we didn't get out of our half until they scored. I'm trying to put a level view on the performance and discussing ways how we could improve. Call it more frustrated Freddie..

But thanks again for your thoughful insight into today's game. The one thing we didn't look was confident or strong on the ball for most of the game, we couldn't wait to get rid of it when they put us under pressure and played the ball backwards far more than we ever did forwards..

Swindon were there for the taking and we afforded them far too much respect and let them get a foothold in the game far too easily..

What he said
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 23, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 11
Playing on the front foot with a high press will come once we have Hess, Clifton and Whitehouse in the middle.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 23, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Bigdog

Dunno Herts, something a bit more like the front foot style we played against Lincoln,Tranmere and others. Maybe it's Clifton we're missing to do that. I know I sound stupid after the past five results, but something seems to be missing to me. Just chatting about the game tactically rather than results and points haul etc..

I think we’ve been sussed out a bit in the last 2 games and the RHS threat is not half as potent without RHJ.

I get the Clifton bit and maybe you’ll see him and Dennis start on Saturday though it has to be said our best runs this season have been based upon stable selection.

You’re right about us being a work in progress but I reckon we need another window of retaining the best and adding better before anyone can critique anything about us.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 23, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 13
I agree that without Clifton we lose quite a bit of energy plus a player capable of being in both boxes on several occasions during a match. I also think we are a team in progression and thus suffer from inconsistent performances. That said nobody can dispute the team spirit and commitment of those now at BP.

Just think as fans we are guilty of over analysis of every game and maybe expect perfection too often when football rarely provides such consistency. We pretty much all agree that playing wise we are moving forwards and maybe we just need to hold on to that thought on those occasions the performances don’t meet our expectations.

I feel a third transfer window will give us pretty much a top seven side which twelve months ago would have been unbelievable. Let’s be happy with a point & look foward to three more next Saturday 😄😄
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 23, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from forza ivano

Last thing is just to mention what a disgrace Robinson is to his profession.his diving and cheating were just embarrassing

Was he the one who tried to con a penalty when no one was near him simulating his ankle had been clipped in the penalty box, that twit should have been booked for simulation. Swindon's players it seemed to me to go down too easily, and either the ref was blind to it or incompetent, either way he shouldn't be in charge of league games.

Great spirit by Town and we could have won it, I'd like to see Dennis got more game time he may have put that chance away, if's and but's a good result considering we were down to 10 men and what a diving header by Hendrie, get in.

Only 7 points off play off's and who knows.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2019, 9:35pm; Reply: 15
Not much to add to others. Ludvig: imperious in the air but gave away to free kicks unecessarily by giving Swindon players the excuse to fall to the floor - same happened against Cheatneham last week*. Not a great display (at least until after the sending off when we found another gear). But nothing like as bad as the two moaning buggers behind who kept up such a stream of whining we had to move seats at HT.

* I wonder if Bristol City have the same 'culture'.
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 23, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Not much to add to others. Ludvig: imperious in the air but gave away to free kicks unecessarily by giving Swindon players the excuse to fall to the floor - same happened against Cheatneham last week*. Not a great display (at least until after the sending off when we found another gear). But nothing like as bad as the two moaning buggers behind who kept up such a stream of whining we had to move seats at HT.

* I wonder if Bristol City have the same 'culture'.

No, it's just a Grimsby thing, according to some.    

[img]https://i.imgur.com/pZrkgGn.gif[/img]
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 23, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Marinerz93

No, it's just a Grimsby thing, according to some.    

[img]https://i.imgur.com/pZrkgGn.gif[/img]

I was talking about the cheating and gamesmanship by West Counry teams nicknamed the Robins.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 24, 2019, 6:01am; Reply: 18
We all agree we are pretty much safe now so it would be nice if Denis got a full game and we looked to attack more we may as well go for as many points and goals as we can.

We defend quite well even down to ten men we have a good midfield surely now is the time to go on the offensive.

Denis knocked a hat trick in the reserve game he must be getting up to speed now, yeah he as missed a couple of chances but a decent striker needs a bigger ratio to get more confident/better. Denis does look as good if not better than most up front he just needs more game time.

Time as come to unshackle the lads M.J. and see what potential we have as an attacking side,

WE HAVE GOT NOTHING TO LOSE AND EVERYTHING TO GAIN thanks to the hard work and effort shown over the last few months.

We have seen tantalising glimpses of a side capable of making chances and scoring goals with some lovely football.

March and Easter could be very exciting and who knows?

At the very worst it will show M.J. what he needs for next season in regards to attacking options.

Glass well a truly HALF FULL, WELL SATISFIED THUS FAR WELL DONE GO FOR IT M.J.
                                                                                            UTM.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 24, 2019, 8:13am; Reply: 19
I think the fact that we're picking fault with an away point at a mid-table opponent having played half an hour with 10 men shows just how far we've come. I think we are missing the energy of Clifton and I'm still a big fan of Vernam ahead of Cook.

There are some very winnable fixtures ahead - time to be positive!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 24, 2019, 10:25am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I think the fact that we're picking fault with an away point at a mid-table opponent having played half an hour with 10 men shows just how far we've come. I think we are missing the energy of Clifton and I'm still a big fan of Vernam ahead of Cook.

There are some very winnable fixtures ahead - time to be positive!

Agree with the general sentiment. Not sure I agree about Vernam v Cook. I haven't seen enough of either.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, February 24, 2019, 2:16pm; Reply: 21
From the remaining 12 games, it looks feasible to predict 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats which would be 26 points and a total of 73.  Could be enough!
Posted by: buckstown, February 24, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from LondonMariner43
From the remaining 12 games, it looks feasible to predict 8 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats which would be 26 points and a total of 73.  Could be enough!

We'll need to be more positive away from home than we were yesteday
Posted by: monkeyboy, February 25, 2019, 6:58am; Reply: 23
RHJ was a big miss linking up with Hendrie, always good for the counter break.
Woolford is great in the centre mid when he gets a bit of time on the ball, Swindon gave him none whatsoever so he was ineffectual. Think Clifton should maybe come on earlier.

Cook been playing well recently and it will hard to drop him for Dennis but i do feel dennis would be more dangerous.
Could Dennis replace Thomas?
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 25, 2019, 8:15am; Reply: 24
I know it was his cross that set-up the equaliser and he actually came into the game a lot more once we went down to 10, but I wonder if it's Embleton's place that could be the one at risk.

Both Clifton and Dennis are chomping at the bit to start when realistically there's only a few places that can be switched for them.  Jolley has previously had a go at Clifton as the more advanced of the three midfielders during games and if it was Dennis who came in, Cook could be the one to drop between midfield and attack.

I like Embleton, I think he's our best player (in fact one of the best in the division) by an absolute mile when it comes to getting on the ball and making things happen.  I just think he could possibly do with a rest, hasn't quite hit the heights since he extended his loan spell in my eyes.  He's a young lad and this represents by a long stretch his most sustained run in a first team.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 25, 2019, 7:31pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from diehardmariner
I know it was his cross that set-up the equaliser and he actually came into the game a lot more once we went down to 10, but I wonder if it's Embleton's place that could be the one at risk.

Both Clifton and Dennis are chomping at the bit to start when realistically there's only a few places that can be switched for them.  Jolley has previously had a go at Clifton as the more advanced of the three midfielders during games and if it was Dennis who came in, Cook could be the one to drop between midfield and attack.

I like Embleton, I think he's our best player (in fact one of the best in the division) by an absolute mile when it comes to getting on the ball and making things happen.  I just think he could possibly do with a rest, hasn't quite hit the heights since he extended his loan spell in my eyes.  He's a young lad and this represents by a long stretch his most sustained run in a first team.  

I wonder if he's gone a bit quiet in games because he gets clattered early on and isn't getting the protection from refs. It happened early on against Cheatenham and it happened right in front of the ref at Swindon.

If he wasn't sent off I'd say Ludvig needs a rest too. He came in and made an immediate splash but his over-eagerness seems to be affecting his judgement. Great player but maybe just needs to recalibrate.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 26, 2019, 9:01am; Reply: 26
When you've won 4 on the bounce, its easy to see why Cook kept his place and not put Dennis straight in.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 9:00pm