Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 21, 2019, 10:51am
If they're knackered, they're knackered.

Sounds like a power issue rather than structural. I don't want to see them go either. Used to have some Subbuteo floodlights which looked very much like them. But given the advances in the technology, it's the equivalent of lighting your house with candles.
Posted by: MarshMariner, February 21, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 1
Perhaps they can be partially moved to a new stadium? I won't read anything into this..
Posted by: moosey_club, February 21, 2019, 2:42pm; Reply: 2
Sell the floodlights back to Wolves as historic Wolverhampton artefacts.

They must be the oldest in the EFL by now so maybe get them listed and see if we can attract any grant funding to maintain

Cut them up and turn them into unique industrial garden furniture / sculpture and keep some pieces back for an architectural feature at any new ground

Or JF run up there in his red overalls and a tin of hammerite

Posted by: Marinerz93, February 21, 2019, 3:02pm; Reply: 3
Why the club haven't moved to LED is baffling as the cost to replace the old light will be recouped in a short time, also LED lights have a longer life due to the nature of the fitting. Example if you have 50 watt Halogen lights in your kitchen and you have 10 of these the power consumption will be 500 watts per hour you could replace those with LED's which operate at 5 to 8 watt for the same light output so 50 to 80 watts, factor in days/weeks/months it can save you a lot of money.

What is the rating of a Each floodlights at BP, x No lights on a stanchion x4 stanchions = Massive savings.

This is a prime example of where costs can be saved but we wait for things to start to fail before  thinking ahead, reactive rather than proactive.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 21, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 4
There are also loads of grants out there for converting to LED, saves our carbon footprint, saves us money = get on with it
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 21, 2019, 3:40pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
There are also loads of grants out there for converting to LED, saves our carbon footprint, saves us money = get on with it

Perhaps Dale Vince could give us a quote ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from friskneymariner

Perhaps Dale Vince could give us a quote ;D

Maybe he should invest in GTFC rather than FGR. It’s a better fit what with the growing renewables sector out of the Humber. Building an eco friendly ground IN A TOWN with rail connections, and which will be used by more people than off a motorway in the middle of nowhere is far more sustainable, and it’ll help regenerate a poor area. That’s got to be a much better message for an old Crusty like DV.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 21, 2019, 4:00pm; Reply: 7
One for the many obvious floodlighting experts on here:

I notice in the article that the new lights will be on pylons that can be lowered /hinged (?) down for easy access (when Fenty wants to change a bulb presumably) but how is that going to work in the Main Stand / Osmond corner?
Posted by: marinerrick, February 21, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 8
Speaking of lights, I noticed in Saturday that the lights in the upper findus stand have been changed for led ones.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 21, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Maybe he should invest in GTFC rather than FGR. It’s a better fit what with the growing renewables sector out of the Humber. Building an eco friendly ground IN A TOWN with rail connections, and which will be used by more people than off a motorway in the middle of nowhere is far more sustainable, and it’ll help regenerate a poor area. That’s got to be a much better message for an old Crusty like DV.

Not sure that'd go down too well with the catering outlets!  :)
Posted by: moosey_club, February 21, 2019, 4:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Les Brechin

They would be unaffected Les....there is no fking meat in the stuff they sell !!  ;D
Posted by: ivanosandwich, February 21, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Marinerz93
Why the club haven't moved to LED is baffling as the cost to replace the old light will be recouped in a short time, also LED lights have a longer life due to the nature of the fitting. Example if you have 50 watt Halogen lights in your kitchen and you have 10 of these the power consumption will be 500 watts per hour you could replace those with LED's which operate at 5 to 8 watt for the same light output so 50 to 80 watts, factor in days/weeks/months it can save you a lot of money.

What is the rating of a Each floodlights at BP, x No lights on a stanchion x4 stanchions = Massive savings.

This is a prime example of where costs can be saved but we wait for things to start to fail before  thinking ahead, reactive rather than proactive.

Did you just have a light bulb moment?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 21, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Marinerz93

I work in the industry and the savings a football club would be likely to see from upgrading the lighting is not the most favourable.

In a factory that operates 24/7 then the savings are huge and payback can comfortably be within the first year but when you consider that there are a maximum of 23 league games per season where the floodlights are required plus the potential for a few more during the cups then the payback period will take years given that they are on for a maximum of 4 hours per fortnight.

The regulations probably require the new install to be LED but they will probably never generate a payback.
Posted by: rancido, February 21, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 13

I don't think vegan catering would go down too well at BP !!
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 21, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 14
Just out of interest if we were building a new ground today with the current floodlights would they be permitted, just thinking of the light pollution and interference with the clubs neighbours.
Posted by: TAGG, February 21, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Marinerz93

Wow  ;D  ;D  ;D
POTW
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 21, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Ipswin
One for the many obvious floodlighting experts on here:

I notice in the article that the new lights will be on pylons that can be lowered /hinged (?) down for easy access (when Fenty wants to change a bulb presumably) but how is that going to work in the Main Stand / Osmond corner?

I assume the base would be behind the Main/Osmond corner and it would be hinged to be lowered parallel to the back of one of those stands.

Posted by: Marinerz93, February 21, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I work in the industry and the savings a football club would be likely to see from upgrading the lighting is not the most favourable.

In a factory that operates 24/7 then the savings are huge and payback can comfortably be within the first year but when you consider that there are a maximum of 23 league games per season where the floodlights are required plus the potential for a few more during the cups then the payback period will take years given that they are on for a maximum of 4 hours per fortnight.

The regulations probably require the new install to be LED but they will probably never generate a payback.

Fair points on the time recouping the costs however, the due bill could be halved and that would have an immediate effect on running costs, including lamp replacement as LED's last a lot longer than Halogen or tungsten lights.

What is the cost to replace against current running costs, we need to be more proactive.
Posted by: Belfast Town, February 21, 2019, 10:57pm; Reply: 18
The floodlights are iconic and need to be saved, so long as we remain at Blundell Park. They are a landmark and a sign of a proper, old-fashioned footy ground.

We should organise a campaign to save them.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2019, 11:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Les Brechin

We might get some edible food!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 21, 2019, 11:44pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from rancido

I don't think vegan catering would go down too well at BP !!

But that's how it will stimulate the economy of the East Marsh (it's Freemo Stad I'm thinking of). All those 1000s of disappointed meat-eaters will pour in to the caffs of the surrounding area.
Posted by: Davec, February 22, 2019, 7:00am; Reply: 21
Are the pylons actually coming down then? That will be a very labour intensive task as they are over 100ft high.
Posted by: Skrill, February 22, 2019, 9:45am; Reply: 22
What great history those floodlights bestow. 19th century spectators would have enjoy games with their light from the 1950s onwards, George Best fell in love with them. It would be a shame to see them scrapped.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 23
Quoted from Skrill
What great history those floodlights bestow. 19th century spectators would have enjoy games with their light from the 1950s onwards, George Best fell in love with them. It would be a shame to see them scrapped.

19th century spectators would have been pretty old by the 1950s.
Posted by: Davec, February 22, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 24

Could have been born in the 1890s?
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 22, 2019, 11:23am; Reply: 25
The current floodlights -

[url]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2015/september/let-there-be-light/[/url]
Posted by: gaz57, February 22, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 26

Once a Mariner always a Mariner
Posted by: hheh2, February 22, 2019, 1:01pm; Reply: 27
They took the pool table! now they are taking the floodlights (cry) JOLLEY OUT FENTY OUT
Posted by: The Yard Dog, February 22, 2019, 1:42pm; Reply: 28

Maybe he should invest in GTFC rather than FGR. It’s a better fit what with the growing renewables sector out of the Humber. Building an eco friendly ground IN A TOWN with rail connections, and which will be used by more people than off a motorway[/b] in the middle of nowhere[b] is far more sustainable, and it’ll help regenerate a poor area. That’s got to be a much better message for an old Crusty like DV.

That's why he choose FGR, not about football really, it was all that land surrounding FGR. The millions he has invested is peanuts, to what he will get from the Green Tech business park.

Dale Vince, Founder of Ecotricity, said:
"The stadium is the most important part in the short term – the thing we need the most, and the easiest thing for planners to approve, so we’re removing the obstacles, which ironically we thought were the major benefits to the District, the 4,000 job green tech business park."
“Eco Park has just been earmarked by the council for employment use as part of the local plan review. The message we’re getting is that we need to come back in a few years’ time. We may do that.”

" Meanwhile, with FGRFC’s promotion to the English Football League, average spectator attendance is increasing rapidly. This brings a whole host of extra problems to our constrained New Lawn site in Nailsworth.  We need a solution, and need it quickly…. " This bit made me laugh or for you younger ones LOL.
Posted by: rancido, February 22, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Davec
Are the pylons actually coming down then? That will be a very labour intensive task as they are over 100ft high.

I think their structural integrity is the reason they are being replaced. Well past their " sell by date ".
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 22, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 30
The answer is simple.... Four Candles
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 22, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from rancido

I think their structural integrity is the reason they are being replaced. Well past their " sell by date ".

A number of the fittings are faulty and it was mentioned the other night that the structure is actually safe but the problem relates to the ladders so nobody can actually go up and fix them.
Posted by: wigworld, February 23, 2019, 12:49am; Reply: 32
I guess it would be their youth or reserves, but could a night-time friendly against Wolves be arranged for early pre-season, before the lights come down? Would be an appropriate send-off for them.
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, February 23, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 33
So we have the oldest stand and the oldest floodlights in the country.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 23, 2019, 11:01am; Reply: 34
Could be worse, the originals were criminally bad. There were parts of the pitch where no light reached at all! Players could have stuffed the ball up their shirt and run with it and nobody would have known!

These ones were thought to be absolutely wonderful. I would think this is a matter of H&S over the state of the metal in the pylons rather than the quality of the lights themselves. Let's face it, anything metal stuck up in the air for 50+ years next to salt water is going to rot. Lucky they lasted this long.
Posted by: NorthseaMariner, February 23, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 35
So, what’s happening to the lights, pylons etc. I would have thought it would have taken a fair time to replace the floodlights?
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 23, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
So, what’s happening to the lights, pylons etc. I would have thought it would have taken a fair time to replace the floodlights?

I'm sure a it'll get done over a few weeks during the post season, Fenty mentioned the hardest part was getting the cranes necessary to do the job. I wonder if we can make good money selling the Towers for scrap metal to help pay for the new one  :-/
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 23, 2019, 12:46pm; Reply: 37
Couldn't we get Dong to sponsor them?
Posted by: acko338, February 23, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 38
....and a mini wind turbine on top of each to power them ???

Plenty of North Sea wind supplies over the Humber !!
Posted by: Caveman, February 23, 2019, 4:34pm; Reply: 39
Could be worse, the originals were criminally bad. There were parts of the pitch where no light reached at all! Players could have stuffed the ball up their shirt and run with it and nobody would have known!

These ones were thought to be absolutely wonderful. I would think this is a matter of H&S over the state of the metal in the pylons rather than the quality of the lights themselves. Let's face it, anything metal stuck up in the air for 50+ years next to salt water is going to rot. Lucky they lasted this long.

I remember playing in a local cup final under those in the mid-1950's.

I was centre forward and the centre half marking me had been playing
for Town Juniors under them the previous season. After about ten minutes
into the game and struggling to see I asked him when the lights would be
turned full on.

He just grinned and said " This is it, it's as good as it gets "

The street lights outside were brighter.
Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 8:57am