Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: hheh2, February 17, 2019, 1:13pm
Just looking at the table, we have won the same amount of games as Exeter and Forest Green one less than Mansfield and three less than the Gimps.

With the difference in budget to those teams and the excrement show of last season we have improved greatly. If only we had our defensive consistency that we have now from the beginning of this season.

UTM
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 17, 2019, 1:20pm; Reply: 1
We've only drawn 4 all season.  If we'd turned a few of our defeats into draws we'd be on the tail of the play-offs.  Fine margins.  
Posted by: Grantley, February 17, 2019, 1:21pm; Reply: 2
To add to that point, it’s been 14 league games since our last draw. Does anyone know what our current record is?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 17, 2019, 2:31pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Grantley
To add to that point, it’s been 14 league games since our last draw. Does anyone know what our current record is?

Yep - 9 wins and 5 defeats in the last 14. 6 wins and 8 draws would have earned less points but seen us unbeaten.
Posted by: TonySmith, February 17, 2019, 2:52pm; Reply: 4
  We had 5 points after 10 league games. We now have 46 points from 33 games. So that's 41 points from the last 23 games. Extend that form over a full season and that's 82 points. If that, coupled with having many of our most important players already tied down for next season, doesn't suggest potentially good times ahead, I don't know what would.
  Of course it's never that simple, and there are lots of variables, but Michael Jolley and his team both on and off the pitch are definitely moving in the right direction.
Posted by: Grantley, February 17, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yep - 9 wins and 5 defeats in the last 14. 6 wins and 8 draws would have earned less points but seen us unbeaten.

I meant what is the longest drawless run we’ve ever had!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 17, 2019, 4:05pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Grantley

I meant what is the longest drawless run we’ve ever had!

I know you did!
Posted by: StaffsMariner, February 17, 2019, 4:13pm; Reply: 7
20 draws in 92/93 season 46 games played
5 in 1956/57 42 games
1 in 30 games 1894/95

not sure about runs of draws though
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 17, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 8
Draws we don't need now.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 17, 2019, 5:26pm; Reply: 9
yes indeed perspective....Hurst would have taken draws out of a few of our losses this season and probably some of the wins too...having not drawn many to me isnt a bad thing, especially with the 3 point system....lose a couple of games chasing a win and win the third one you end up on the same points if you'd have stuck for the draws.......but at least you would have given the fans some entertainment and indication that you want to win games.
Hated that approach from Hurst....the 70 min like for like sub...the sitting back after going 1-0 up whilst totally dominating a team...attacker off defensive midfielder on.
Jolley is certainly more adept at substitutions IMO.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 17, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moosey_club
yes indeed perspective....Hurst would have taken draws out of a few of our losses this season and probably some of the wins too...having not drawn many to me isnt a bad thing, especially with the 3 point system....lose a couple of games chasing a win and win the third one you end up on the same points if you'd have stuck for the draws.......but at least you would have given the fans some entertainment and indication that you want to win games.
Hated that approach from Hurst....the 70 min like for like sub...the sitting back after going 1-0 up whilst totally dominating a team...attacker off defensive midfielder on.

Our substitutions are definitely a bit more inventive. I thought the change to bring Davis on for Embleton was an interesting one when the obvious change was to take RHJ off but he chose to add some height to the midfield to help us compete in the air further upfield.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 7:54pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moosey_club

I think a MJ has a little more at his disposal but it’s interesting to see historical “perspective”. Usually under Hurst if we where drawing a game we’d been playing poor to average at best. One of the frustrating things about the PH reign is we rarely dominated the opposition.

We dominated Carlisle away in the first half this season with a 4-3-3 then at half time leading 1 -0  we changed the shape and had to weather a real storm. In the last 15 mins on a number of occasions MJ has thrown an extra man on in mid field.

What I like about MJ is he changes in the context of the game rather than the obligatory 70 mins.

Hurst was always “chasing” promotion in reality MJ has nothing to lose so can be a bit more inventive, thank the Lord!!!

Posted by: moosey_club, February 17, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think a MJ has a little more at his disposal but it’s interesting to see historical “perspective”. Usually under Hurst if we where drawing a game we’d been playing poor to average at best. One of the frustrating things about the PH reign is we rarely dominated the opposition.

We dominated Carlisle away in the first half this season with a 4-3-3 then at half time leading 1 -0  we changed the shape and had to weather a real storm. In the last 15 mins on a number of occasions MJ has thrown an extra man on in mid field.

What I like about MJ is he changes in the context of the game rather than the obligatory 70 mins.

Hurst was always “chasing” promotion in reality MJ has nothing to lose so can be a bit more inventive, thank the Lord!!!

MJ has done the extra midfielder thing admittedly.....take this week...Embleton off, arguably our most attack minded midfielder and replaced with Davies...to me totally understandable in the context of the game, Embleton had little influence on or off the ball at that time, Davies immediately started turning the ball over and blocking the way.......Hurst...whatever happened in the game it was always the right winger that got changed first...Monkhouse virtually never got the hook regardless of how little he was doing.
MJ in most cases reacts to whatever he is seeing evolving, not subbing for subs sake but managing the game.  
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 17, 2019, 10:15pm; Reply: 13
When you think this time last year the position we were in due to the total incompetence of Slade who seem hell bent on destroying this club,Jolley has worked miracles,and more importantly given us hope.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 10:22am