Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ginnywings, February 16, 2019, 5:46pm
Very attritional game, mostly played out in midfield by both sides, with Cheltenham matching us shape wise and both sides cancelling each other out. Not the best game of football you will ever see, and to be fair, a draw would have been about right, but it's Cheltenham, so who cares about fair?

Neither keeper were unduly troubled but what sniffs of chances there were came our way. Thomas put a good Ring cross wide early on, and Dennis got on the end of a flick on, but got his contact all wrong. The Thomas penalty looked like the correct decision from where i was sat, and he buries it in the corner, with the keeper almost getting a full hand to it. Doesn't look like a natural pen taker to me. Missed one and scored two streaky ones so far, but if they go in, they count and that's another three very welcome points, and the play offs draw closer.

MOM was given to Hess, and i wouldn't argue with that but i would have awarded to the defence collectively. Macca had hardly anything to do all game.

Onward and upward.
Posted by: Maringer, February 16, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 1
I thought we were a bit excrement today. Luckily, they were shitter. They had the better of it in midfield for much of the game but didn't create anything despite the space. Embleton way off his game and the forwards didn't get much joy either. Luckily, the defence bailed them out. What's wrong with Clifton at the moment? Came off the bench but looked right out of sorts. Is he struggling with an injury still?
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, February 16, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 2
I’m buying a few cans tonight intercourse it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 16, 2019, 5:57pm; Reply: 3

Great win today when not at our best.

Pleasantly surprised we got a crowd of just short of 5,000 today.
Posted by: LH, February 16, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 4
The sort of game we’d have managed to find a way to lose last season. Not a lot to say about it really other than I thought the penalty looked soft. There was a shout in the second half that looked more clear cut to me so that probably balanced out. Starting to look closely at the play-off contenders fixtures now and I can’t wait for the League Cup first round draw.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 16, 2019, 6:18pm; Reply: 5
Both played 3,5,2. and cancelled each other out glad we finally got that monkey off our back with a ugly win.

Must say never seen M.J. as animated as that at the final whistle he really wanted that one.

The officials seemed to miss a few things not sure what happened near the findus stand but the player looked fortunate to only get a yellow by the reaction of the crowd.
Posted by: barralad, February 16, 2019, 6:21pm; Reply: 6
It looks like we might be getting a reputation as a side who like to get the ball down and play and as a consequence I think we'll see a lot of teams coming here to try to disrupt that. Cheltenham did it well enough today with some falling over and niggly tackling. I'd have liked to have been closer to the incident where their lad was booked for the confrontation with Hess(?) because it looked like a deliberate kick on someone laid on the floor to me in the Pontoon.
Not a lot of goalmouth action at either end really. Defensively we were superb. Ohman is a giant at this level and reminds me so much of Mark Lever when he first made the team. I cannot recall him having lost a header since he's been here.
Hessenthaler has been brilliant for us since Christmas and was everywhere today. Must be a candidate for POTY.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 16, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 7
Their No 24 kicked/stamped Cook in the back. Could easily have been sent off, and after consulting with the lino, the ref gave a yellow for some reason.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 16, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 8
I thought Ludvic also put in a commanding display today and Ring did not disgrace himself either.
Posted by: kamakazebear, February 16, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 9
Absolutely loved beating such a shithouse of a club. Not under Gary Johnson anymore and they don't have Pell but clearly the club culture of cheating lives on.

Raglan deserves banning for that kick and Waters has the biggest case of little man syndrome I've ever seen.

The fact that it probably should have been a draw makes me all the more smugger to come away with 3 points, more than had we won 4-0.

To the conference with them please.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 16, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 10
Thought Cook was very good again today and our upturn in form has coincided with Hess hitting form and pulling the strings in midfield looks a quality player for this level..
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 16, 2019, 6:53pm; Reply: 11
Actually quite pleased we managed to win a scrappy game, a few months back we’d probably only taken a point at best from that. It shows that we really are progressing as a side.

Not an awful lot to say about the game in truth. Hess was excellent and must’ve covered every blade of grass, Cookie worked his backside off and Ludwig Öhman would head a breeze block if someone threw one at him.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 16, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jimgtfc
Actually quite pleased we managed to win a scrappy game, a few months back we’d probably only taken a point at best from that. It shows that we really are progressing as a side.

Not an awful lot to say about the game in truth. Hess was excellent and must’ve covered every blade of grass, Cookie worked his backside off and Ludwig Öhman would head a breeze block if someone threw one at him.

Well, according to today's Telegraph reporter ratings, Cooky gets a 6 and Harry Clifton a 7. Now I'm not saying Harry was shite but that was as good as I've seen Cook - loads of good stuff offensively & defensively.
Posted by: pizzzza, February 16, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 13
Was pleasantly surprised at the attendance today. Managed to add 1000+ over the previous home game. Amazing what a few wins can do.
Posted by: Badger57, February 16, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 14
Game was dull as dishwater but we got the points. Because defenses were completely on top my MOM goes to Ludwig who was absolutely tremendous.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 16, 2019, 7:58pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from pizzzza
Was pleasantly surprised at the attendance today. Managed to add 1000+ over the previous home game. Amazing what a few wins can do.

Great minutes applause for Gordon Banks.

Also nice to see Livo there and George Kerr with Burnsey in the main stand things are starting to happen.
Posted by: MarinerDevil, February 16, 2019, 8:10pm; Reply: 16
Great to finally beat them at home in front of a decent crowd.  The game itself was pretty dire in all honesty, the pitch was dry and uneven which produced a scrappy dogfight between two evenly-matched teams.  

Cheltenham looked to play fairly aggressively and press us high which definitely aided in breaking up our play.  We couldn't attack with any method and our playmakers were restricted to a game of kick-and-chase.  No individual had an afternoon to be ashamed of: Cook was lively, Hess was dogged and energetic and defensively we looked pretty secure.  I don't think we have the players for a 3-5-2 system though as we don't possess wing backs that can effectively aid attacking play.  Both are sound defensively and are disciplined with their positioning but I only saw Ring look to hurt them going forward once all game.  Something to work on.

Play-offs remain tantalisingly in reach and we have a decent run-in so the remainder of the season could be quite exciting.  I'd happily take our current position though and look to improve next season.  

Great to see Livvo back at BP.  

Something good happening Monday perhaps?  ??)

UTM
Posted by: Mendonca1995, February 16, 2019, 8:13pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Great minutes applause for Gordon Banks.

Also nice to see Livo there and George Kerr with Burnsey in the main stand things are starting to happen.

I spoke to Livvo today and I asked him about the testimonial he said it was out of his hands but that he would love the opportunity to come back and play with all the old players, he seemed to enjoy every minute being back today I said the fans were doing what they could to get him the testimonial and he said he’s had lots of people message him etc regarding it and that he was very grateful to the fans a top guy and still looks like a warrior lol
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 16, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
Thought Cook was very good again today and our upturn in form has coincided with Hess hitting form and pulling the strings in midfield looks a quality player for this level..

I thought he was very poor, gave the ball away loads, out of position alot and kept running into trouble apart from a few break aways while playing off the shoulder earlier on in the game he was very ineffectual apart from being fouled.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 16, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 19
great to beat Cheltenham who as normal started their gamesmanship from the off...funny how after they stall the game at every opportunity, fall over, hold onto the ball at opposition free kicks/ throw ins , that as the game went on they were running and fetching the ball to Macca for goal kicks.  ;D

Gritty performance, Hess was superb today, pretty sure Macca didnt make a save which indicates how tight we have become at the back of late.

Shame Dennis didnt make it 2-0 when he scuffed that shot but watching him you can see he is a different entity to what we have elsewhere, his positioning and approach to playing is all about getting behind the defender on his blind side, Cook and Thomas seem to play in front of the defender, a great weapon to bring on against a tiring defense.

Must say i thought the ref handled the Cheltenham approach pretty well, didnt fall for their falling over tactics too often and often waving them to get up, nice to see.

Not pretty on the eye but still alot to admire in the performances.

UTM

Posted by: mimma, February 16, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 20
Ref seemed to be a bit of a mixture, falling for their players falling over, but letting clear shoves in Town players backs go. He did wise up to it eventually though.

The rumpus in front of the find us was because Cook was fouled and laying prone on the ground when their no. 24 kicked him in the back in front of the linesman.
The linesman brought it to the attention of the ref who only gave him a yellow. How it was not violent conduct and a straight red I don't  know.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 16, 2019, 8:43pm; Reply: 21
Type of game you get during a season and when you win them the garden is rosy but lose them and we are crap, boring and play hoof ball.

Listening to Stuart McCAll sounds like Scunthorpe game exactly the same but they lost, tough luck. Bounce looked lively and I think we need to give Cheltenham some credit as they worked very hard and gave us no room to play.

In all honesty one of those games when town could not string three passes together and no player seemed to be able to control the ball which MJ put down to the pitch which I agree did contribute.

Anyway we won the local pub was full of miserable Chimps bemoaning giving away. 2-0 lead with minutes to go so life is not without its little pleasures!!!
Posted by: lukeo, February 16, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from pizzzza

Hope I am wrong but I swear see someone mention somewhere that local football teams can take their player and a parent for £13? Or did I dream it.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 16, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 23
Not pretty and a bit frustrating considering that for once there was no real wind and the day was set for getting the ball down. That said really pleased with a functional 3 points.

Loathed to admit it but Cheltenham did a good job on Elliot and nuetralused our wide stacking threat to an extent that it meant that in reality the game was always going to be a grind.

Regardless of who their manager is there’s something I really despise about Cheltenham as their culture appears to be all about cheating and cynicism at every opportunity they have. The lad who ran his studs over Cook whilst he was on the floor should have been sent off, again weak officiating!

All the players worked really hard even if our passing wasn’t great the work rate off the ball and evident versatility earnt the points today.

Hess definitely MOM he’s a great competitor, has a really good engine and reminds me of Joe Waters when he has the ball at his feet.

In a poor game I don’t think any Town player had a bad game. Mentions in despatches for the front 2, Woolley, Ludwig and RHJ who for a relatively small CB dealt with the ariel stuff pretty well

Regardless of the quality on show Town’s approach won the day and the points. I also think MJ got his changes right at the right time and I absolutely get Davis in mid field for the closing stages.

Like I say the lads showed their versatility today and deserve a pat on the back as well as 3 points.

UTM!!

Posted by: sydney, February 16, 2019, 11:08pm; Reply: 24
That was a good performance in a different way
Players fed off the crowd knowing we wanted to beat these cheats any way (hate them)
Well done Town on a really gritty workmanlike win
Honourable mentions
Hess MoM easy
Ring
Ohman
Thomas
Can we get a result at Swindon
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 16, 2019, 11:17pm; Reply: 25
Tough game to watch and probably to play in.

I thought they did a bit of a job on us today and especially Embleton who hardly had a touch. They looked a tough side but from the manager down they were a complete set of five knuckle shufflers.

At the end of the day just thankful for the 3 points and beating those tw*ts.

Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, February 16, 2019, 11:22pm; Reply: 26
Agree with most of what’s been said. Only need to add how good Collins was today. My MOM
Posted by: Marinerz93, February 16, 2019, 11:41pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
I’m buying a few cans tonight intercourse it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/qSR9bjc.jpg[/img]
Posted by: Abdul19, February 17, 2019, 7:46am; Reply: 28
Nice run. Only conceded once in 4 games (and that was a consolation).
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 17, 2019, 8:33am; Reply: 29
Bit of a dull game. Frustrating that we couldn’t get the ball down and play. I could give credit to Cheltenham for that. But I won’t, the dirty, snide cheating scum. Stampiones indeed.

Town worked hard. Ludvig MOTM for me - put me in mind of Chris Nicol the way he headed everything. I thought Macca only had one save to make but my daughter thought it was going wide anyway.

Nice to see that ship with the wind turbine pylons go past. Surprised they move them upright.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 17, 2019, 8:43am; Reply: 30
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Not pretty and a bit frustrating considering that for once there was no real wind and the day was set for getting the ball down. That said really pleased with a functional 3 points.

Loathed to admit it but Cheltenham did a good job on Elliot and nuetralused our wide stacking threat to an extent that it meant that in reality the game was always going to be a grind.

Regardless of who their manager is there’s something I really despise about Cheltenham as their culture appears to be all about cheating and cynicism at every opportunity they have. The lad who ran his studs over Cook whilst he was on the floor should have been sent off, again weak officiating!

All the players worked really hard even if our passing wasn’t great the work rate off the ball and evident versatility earnt the points today.

Hess definitely MOM he’s a great competitor, has a really good engine and reminds me of Joe Waters when he has the ball at his feet.

In a poor game I don’t think any Town player had a bad game. Mentions in despatches for the front 2, Woolley, Ludwig and RHJ who for a relatively small CB dealt with the ariel stuff pretty well

Regardless of the quality on show Town’s approach won the day and the points. I also think MJ got his changes right at the right time and I absolutely get Davis in mid field for the closing stages.

Like I say the lads showed their versatility today and deserve a pat on the back as well as 3 points.

UTM!!

Regarding Embers they clearly did their homework on him and that included trying to wind him up.

First half he was getting none stop sledging from their players.

One incident early on set the pattern where they won a throw in and Embers had the ball.

Their no2? pushed embers off the ball and muttered something then ran away smirking and slapping his mates hand.

They clearly had a plan to urine him off.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 9:58am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Regarding Embers they clearly did their homework on him and that included trying to wind him up.

First half he was getting none stop sledging from their players.

One incident early on set the pattern where they won a throw in and Embers had the ball.

Their no2? pushed embers off the ball and muttered something then ran away smirking and slapping his mates hand.

They clearly had a plan to urine him off.

I guess that’s why he’s out on loan, not right at all but a good learning for the lad, maybe he should send their No.2 a picture from his next England trip
overseas.

Cheltenham are just classless from top to bottom.
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 17, 2019, 10:54am; Reply: 32
Everybody seems to overlook RHJ absolute flawless performance.
Posted by: gobby, February 17, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from friskneymariner

I only managed to make the 2nd half, but I could not stop praising RHJ in that 45 minutes. 8)
UTMM
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 34

I really like him, we need to get him secured long term though as I'm sure others would be interested.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 17, 2019, 3:28pm; Reply: 35

Spot on, he was excellent again! Shame he’s got a 50p head though, you’re never quite sure which direction the ball is going to go in when he’s going up for the header 😂
Posted by: Davec, February 17, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I really like him, we need to get him secured long term though as I'm sure others would be interested.

I was not 100% sure of him in right back however he has excelled in centre back, I think centre back could be his new permanent position as he looks a natural and more comfortable than he does in right back in my opinion.
Posted by: Roast Em Bobby, February 17, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 37
I think he’s good in both positions, would get him on a 2 year deal asap. Given his age we could get a few bob for him in the future. Him and Hendrie are a good threat going forward also.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 5:04pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Davec

I was not 100% sure of him in right back however he has excelled in centre back, I think centre back could be his new permanent position as he looks a natural and more comfortable than he does in right back in my opinion.

Interesting we all wanted a pacey CB and we had one under our noses all that time, to think he's keeping Whitmore and Davis out says a lot for the lad. Amazing to think he was a Slade signing??
Posted by: forza ivano, February 17, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Interesting we all wanted a pacey CB and we had one under our noses all that time, to think he's keeping Whitmore and Davis out says a lot for the lad. Amazing to think he was a Slade signing??

.more to do with his relationship with wilkinson i think
you  will find
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from forza ivano

.more to do with his relationship with wilkinson i think
you  will find

Possibly but Wilco has had absolutely nothing to do with his emergence this season.

I’m not sure what Paul’s doing but his scouting feels better than his coaching.
Posted by: Eastendmariner, February 17, 2019, 7:37pm; Reply: 41
no 24 and 25 a couple thugs basically kicked players led with the arm and always throwing the ball away when the y fouled a Town player.  Not the best Ive seen from Town but lest's face it we matched their ugly physical Football and that's exactly why Linscum  are Top being competitive
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 17, 2019, 8:14pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Eastendmariner
no 24 and 25 a couple thugs basically kicked players led with the arm and always throwing the ball away when the y fouled a Town player.  Not the best Ive seen from Town but lest's face it we matched their ugly physical Football and that's exactly why Linscum  are Top being competitive

Thought their number 20 was decent in midfield, not sure if he is there on loan but looked like a player who might be a good replacement for Embleton next season if he is one of theirs.
Posted by: Croxton, February 17, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Thought their number 20 was decent in midfield, not sure if he is there on loan but looked like a player who might be a good replacement for Embleton next season if he is one of theirs.

Jacob Maddox on loan from Chelsea. Contracted to 2021 and plays for Eng. U 20 X1. Headed for higher than L2 I guess.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 17, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Croxton

Jacob Maddox on loan from Chelsea. Contracted to 2021 and plays for Eng. U 20 X1. Headed for higher than L2 I guess.

Would that make him an England team mate of Elliot?
Posted by: Croxton, February 18, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 45
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Would that make him an England team mate of Elliot?

If Eiott was in the U19 squad that won the European Champs then yes.  Seems to have been a star of Chelsea's development squad according to Cheltenham's website. At least one video interview on there.
It certainly was impressive how he just as comfortable infield as on the wing and looked to play through our lines. I was keen to see Rakish Bingham after watching You Tube but Chelts totally misused his skills by expecting him to play with his back to goal.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 18, 2019, 11:09am; Reply: 46
Jacob Maddox he spent most of his time on Sat falling on the floor anytime a Town player went near him.. can see he's from a premier league club
Posted by: Maringer, February 18, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 47
Maddox looked to have a lot of ability and a decent amount of pace but, other than winning the free-kick when collapsing to the floor, I don't recall him achieving anything much? Surprised he's considered a prospect by Chelsea based on that performance. That said, Embleton didn't have much of a game, either, so I suppose young players of that sort are allowed off days.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 1:53pm