Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 16, 2019, 5:08pm
6 points off the play offs after today's win 😬

Could we do what was seemingly impossible only a couple of months ago?

Be interesting to k ow how many points weve clawed back off teams around/above us!!

Scrappy win today but they all count!!

Very well done boys!!

UTM!
Posted by: hheh2, February 16, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 1
Take it game by game
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 16, 2019, 5:16pm; Reply: 2
If you win when you played poor that is a sign of a good team,

Nothing is impossible its all to play for.
Posted by: Mariner93er, February 16, 2019, 5:16pm; Reply: 3
We have agood set of fixtures and a lot of the current play off teams play each other so you never know.
Posted by: grimps, February 16, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 4
Swindon won’t be easy , their form is better than ours .
If we get a win there then we’re right in the mix
Posted by: RonMariner, February 16, 2019, 5:28pm; Reply: 5
Looking at the last 12 league games, we won four on the bounce, then lost four on the bounce, and have now won four on the bounce again.

Still, that's 24 points from 12 games, better than play off form. Promotion form in fact.

If we maintain this form and get 26 points from the last 13 games that would take us to 72 points. Last season 7th place ended on 75 points.

Not impossible, but a huge ask.  
Posted by: lukeo, February 16, 2019, 5:31pm; Reply: 6
Keep looking up boys if we make it then let's go crazy, If we don't then let's just get ready for next season. UTM
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 16, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from grimps
Swindon won’t be easy , their form is better than ours .
If we get a win there then we’re right in the mix

Swindon's home record this season is terrible.

Posted by: GrimRob, February 16, 2019, 5:44pm; Reply: 8
Why not?
Posted by: LH, February 16, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 9
Could?
Posted by: coddy60, February 16, 2019, 5:56pm; Reply: 10
We certainly could, the question is whether we will.
Nobody around us is in blinding form and there is always somebody who makes a late surge for them, why not us?
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 16, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 11
There are 6 other teams (outside the play-offs) in a better position than we are.  Points, games in hand and/or a better goal difference.

The 6 points outside the play-offs can be realistically increased to 8 points.  This is a big big ask.  We have also had a very good run of form just to get to where we are now.  We still have a negative goal difference.
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 16, 2019, 6:24pm; Reply: 12
If we get into the play offs that would be amazing, if we don’t then I won’t be worried next season will be play off season for us minimum
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 16, 2019, 6:34pm; Reply: 13
As long as the winning / unbeaten run keeps going anything is possible. Exeter came from a similar position last year to make the play offs so anything's possible.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 16, 2019, 6:58pm; Reply: 14
Take every game as it comes Swindon next.

A lot of teams around us have games in hand not even thinking about it .......................YET.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 16, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 15
There's not many fixtures left in any where I would expect a defeat
Posted by: mike502, February 16, 2019, 8:48pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from jock dock tower
As long as the winning / unbeaten run keeps going anything is possible. Exeter came from a similar position last year to make the play offs so anything's possible.

On this date last year, Exeter were 8th, 1 point off the playoffs with at least 2 games in hand over everyone above them. So not that similar a position...
Posted by: chaos33, February 16, 2019, 9:01pm; Reply: 17
It's nice to have absolutely no pressure on us. We might make the play offs. We might not. We can play with freedom and see what happens.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 16, 2019, 9:03pm; Reply: 18
I hope so, I put £10 on them at 41/1 a couple of weeks ago to get into the top 7, and a tenner on them to win it.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 16, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 19
I think the problem might be the amount of teams above us. 2 or 3 might fall away but they won't all. We've made amazing progress though. If we keep that up we ahould be targetting Top 3 next season. Nothing to fear in this league.
Posted by: WesternMariner, February 16, 2019, 9:10pm; Reply: 20
Bet 365 down to 25/1 for a top seven finish - was 40/1 yesterday when I stuck a cheeky £5 on - the Bookies are starting to take notice at least.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 16, 2019, 9:28pm; Reply: 21
Three weeks ago I got 40-1 for top 7, 66-1 play offs and 250-1 promotion. Yes, it was more in hope than expectation, but I’m not cashing out just yet!
Posted by: CodHead, February 16, 2019, 9:42pm; Reply: 22
Extremely unlikely but hopefully we can
You never know with this sport
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 16, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 23
We could and some have made a late run but.....

To do this I think we’d need to get 7 points from Carlisle, Stevenage and Bury at home.... possible? Definitely.

Then we’s need at least 5 from Oldham, Colchester and Tranmere away, big ask IMHO.

Then at least 15 points from the sides below us would leave us on 73 points and if other results go are way we’re in with a shout.

All that said I think we’ll just miss out but keep the feel good factor and be real contenders next term.

Posted by: Nelly GTFC, February 17, 2019, 12:17am; Reply: 24
Quoted from WesternMariner
Bet 365 down to 25/1 for a top seven finish - was 40/1 yesterday when I stuck a cheeky £5 on - the Bookies are starting to take notice at least.
Two weeks ago Grimsby Town were 66/1 to make the play-offs with Sky Bet, checked tonight and it's down to 22/1.

Link >> https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/league-2/to-make-the-playoffs
Posted by: Mallyner, February 17, 2019, 7:12am; Reply: 25
Quoted from RonMariner
Looking at the last 12 league games, we won four on the bounce, then lost four on the bounce, and have now won four on the bounce again.

Still, that's 24 points from 12 games, better than play off form. Promotion form in fact.

If we maintain this form and get 26 points from the last 13 games that would take us to 72 points. Last season 7th place ended on 75 points.

Not impossible, but a huge ask.  

Two of those 4 defeats were against the top teams, Lincoln and Mansfield and we were struggling with a lack of central defenders and Sebastian and Ludwig were just finding their feet.

In my opinion we are a far better side now and the system seems to be working well.

Another poster said that he thought Cheltenham had sussed out our passing game and perhaps other teams might, but a team who pass are harder to defend against, than a team who can only play the big boot to the strikers.  :)

Posted by: lukeo, February 17, 2019, 11:33pm; Reply: 26
6th v 7th on Saturday so providing if we win the gap is going to close even more. UTM
Posted by: forza ivano, February 18, 2019, 9:23am; Reply: 27
are their parallels with the Buckley season when we had the cup run and then finished quite high up after a poor start to the season or have got the years muddled up?
Posted by: acko338, February 18, 2019, 11:32am; Reply: 28
If the bookies are drastically dropping odds, then it must be a real possibility ,they don't throw money away !
Posted by: RichMariner, February 18, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 29
At the end of February 2017, Blackpool were 15th and 8 points off the play-offs (albeit with a game in hand).

They ended up in the play-offs and beat Exeter in the final.

While it's mathematically possible then it can happen... it's not likely to, but I wouldn't put my mortgage on us not doing it either! Funny things happen in sport.
Print page generated: April 28, 2024, 10:46am