Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: mariner paul, February 16, 2019, 12:09pm
Is there going to be a minutes silence at the game today
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 16, 2019, 12:17pm; Reply: 1

There will be a minute's applause apparently.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gordon-banks-tribute-efl-fixtures-2548839
Posted by: blundellpork, February 16, 2019, 1:32pm; Reply: 2
Much prefer silence to applause. Far more respectful.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 16, 2019, 1:35pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from blundellpork

I actually prefer the applause because it only takes a couple of idiots to ruin a minute's silence.

Posted by: Civvy at last, February 17, 2019, 11:34am; Reply: 4
Quoted from blundellpork

I prefer the silence myself. But it is (rightly) up to the relatives to decide. So if that’s what they want that’s fine by me and I join in wholeheartedly.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 17, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from promotion plaice

I actually prefer the applause because it only takes a couple of idiots to ruin a minute's silence.

My preference is silence but you're right.... there's always someone who can't reign it in and makes it about them, rather than reflecting on someone who has passed away
Posted by: moosey_club, February 17, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

My preference is silence but you're right.... there's always someone who can't reign it in and makes it about them, rather than reflecting on someone who has passed away

to be fair to football in general i think the mutual respect thing has come along way...go back to the 80's i can remember that away supporters wouldnt be quiet at all when it came to someone associated with the oppositon team being honoured. The only times in recent years that i can recall silence being broken would be when the turnstiles kept turning and latecomers would enter the ground chatting or shouting but then realise and shut up.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 17, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 7
It was appaling at the town scunny game 2013 when we had a minutes silence.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 17, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Hagrid
It was appaling at the town scunny game 2013 when we had a minutes silence.

but that was the clubs fault wasnt it ? they fluffed the announcement as it was a 2 minute silence but the referee blew his whistle after 1 minute ?? or something similar IIRC
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 17, 2019, 5:40pm; Reply: 9
At the Yeovil game during the minute's silence, there were a couple of town fans stamping their feet to the tune of Clap, Clap, Fish and the cronies around them were laughing.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 3:40pm