Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: devon mariner, February 13, 2019, 9:05pm
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/-pollock-signs-first-professional-contract
Posted by: devon mariner, February 13, 2019, 9:05pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from devon mariner

Chuffed to bits for him
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 13, 2019, 9:15pm; Reply: 2
Aye, well done Mattie. Sounds like he's made of the right stuff.

Codheads land Pollock. Headline writers dream.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 13, 2019, 9:29pm; Reply: 3
Good lad Mattie! I know a lot of people have got high hopes for this lad.
Posted by: acko338, February 13, 2019, 9:38pm; Reply: 4
Looking to the future - good news !
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 13, 2019, 9:43pm; Reply: 5
Nice one the lad proved his worth against Exeter with a great solid display when he helped ten men get a great battling win against one of the better sides in this division.

Could be one for the future.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 13, 2019, 11:13pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Nice one the lad proved his worth against Exeter with a great solid display when he helped ten men get a great battling win against one of the better sides in this division.

Could be one for the future.

Exactly.
Posted by: GtfcGarner, February 13, 2019, 11:24pm; Reply: 7
Hope he does well. Best of luck to the boy UTM
Posted by: forza ivano, February 13, 2019, 11:35pm; Reply: 8
Wonder if he will go down the increasingly tried and trusted route of being loaned out to non league next season
Posted by: Abdul19, February 14, 2019, 7:11am; Reply: 9
Great stuff. Must be the first yoof to be a offered pro deal at 17 since Clifton? Decent length contract too, encouraging to see.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 14, 2019, 7:48am; Reply: 10
Great News!

Looks like we are finally getting away from signing journeymen, which never worked and got us in all sorts of bother. Clubs like ours need to be developing young talent and hopefully some of those will get us up the leagues and go on to bigger and better things.

Good luck Matty.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, February 14, 2019, 8:08am; Reply: 11
Started off his career brilliantly and Woodsy seems to have lots of good things to say about the lad.

Lots of young pro's at the club now, hope he gets a decent loan move soon.
Posted by: denni266, February 14, 2019, 9:20am; Reply: 12
Well done Matty.  Hope you give Jolly some selection problems
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 14, 2019, 10:08am; Reply: 13
More great news and another example of the right direction we're heading in.

Credit to Jolley for having faith in the young lads but this is another massive achievement for everyone involved in the youth set-up.  Let's not forget that the development of these lads doesn't always start at 16, it starts a lot before and when you consider we're bringing lads through despite having spent six years (time which will have been crucial to their development) outside the Football League and the huge lack of youth funding that comes with it.

I still dream of us doing a Crewe and fielding a side exclusively of home-grown talent.  

Well done the yoof!!
Posted by: RichMariner, February 14, 2019, 11:00am; Reply: 14
Jolley is certainly putting a lot of trust in the youth set-up, which is great to see.

Managers are usually put under so much pressure that they daren't throw kids into the first team any more (unless they're top clubs' kids on loan).

Cost effective and it's what the fans want to see.
Posted by: rancido, February 14, 2019, 11:12am; Reply: 15
Quoted from RichMariner
Jolley is certainly putting a lot of trust in the youth set-up, which is great to see.

Managers are usually put under so much pressure that they daren't throw kids into the first team any more (unless they're top clubs' kids on loan).

Cost effective and it's what the fans want to see.

I think it reflects his early football coaching career in developing young players. Too many managers have followed the career path of player, coaching qualifications and then becoming either a manager or assistant manager. They too easily dismiss the youth set up and yet they have mostly come through such a set up.
I also think it reflects NW's approach to the youth. Obviously as a manager I think it was a step too far for him but in coaching/developing young players I think he has found his forte.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 14, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 16
What a refreshing change from Slade's approach of signing players at the other end of their career. Most managers seem to start with young players and stick with them as they move from job to job, so I guess he's not that different in that respect, but still makes me even more convinced that the "young, hungry manager" is the route to go down.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2019, 12:56pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from diehardmariner
More great news and another example of the right direction we're heading in.

Credit to Jolley for having faith in the young lads but this is another massive achievement for everyone involved in the youth set-up.  Let's not forget that the development of these lads doesn't always start at 16, it starts a lot before and when you consider we're bringing lads through despite having spent six years (time which will have been crucial to their development) outside the Football League and the huge lack of youth funding that comes with it.

I still dream of us doing a Crewe and fielding a side exclusively of home-grown talent.  

Well done the yoof!!

In Matty's case it wouldn't have affected him as we signed him as a 16 year old, like we did with Ryan Bennett. Good scouting though. And obviously credit to Woodsy's Finishing School.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 14, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 18
Yep, same for Rose too.  But then there's Clifton, Wright, Battersby, plus Buckley Jr and the others chomping at the bit. who are more of a long-term project.  Definitely the fruit of a full and committed youth set-up.    

Long term or short term, it's all very positive for the youth and long may it continue.  The lad up top Burrell looks a real prospect in my eyes, dare I say it he looks a better long term bet than Rose.  Not as explosive but a lot more polished.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yep, same for Rose too.  But then there's Clifton, Wright, Battersby, plus Buckley Jr and the others chomping at the bit. who are more of a long-term project.  Definitely the fruit of a full and committed youth set-up.    

Long term or short term, it's all very positive for the youth and long may it continue.  The lad up top Burrell looks a real prospect in my eyes, dare I say it he looks a better long term bet than Rose.  Not as explosive but a lot more polished.  

Aye. Looking promising. And to coin a line from another post, the squad is beginning to look 'so 1970s' (in a good way).
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 1:14am