Posted by: Perkins, February 12, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 1
Legend. Say no more.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 12, 2019, 9:55am; Reply: 2
Rest in peace

Fantastic goalkeeper and always remembered for that save amongst others
Posted by: crusty ole pie, February 12, 2019, 10:01am; Reply: 3
Childhood hero rest in peace Gordon x
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 12, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 4
Absolute Legend of the English game, World Cup winner, a save that will be shown forever and used as a benchmark for all great goalkeeping saves now and in the future.

Rest in peace Gordon.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 12, 2019, 10:29am; Reply: 5
Aye. RIP Gordon.
Posted by: chrissy, February 12, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 6
Best keeper of his era by far and a really nice modest man as well,

RIP  Gordon you will be remembered not only for winning the world cup but that save from Pele among loads of others.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2019, 10:38am; Reply: 7
RIP Gordon you were the best.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, February 12, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 8
Use to come in and buy a pie from my shop. A lovely man and an absolute gentleman. Did a lot for the charities in the area.
When I think of some of the people they give knighthoods to its a tragedy they didnt find room to give him one.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 12, 2019, 11:20am; Reply: 9

RIP Gordon Banks...thanks for contributing to our greatest moment in football.....Legend
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 12, 2019, 11:21am; Reply: 10
Banks played in one of the best sides I saw in the 1960s, Leicester City managed by Matt Gillies. They played at BP in 1964 in the League Cup and gave us a football lesson winning 5-0. We had a decent team as well. Banks was just so dominant we never really got the ball near their goal. I could be wrong about this but I think he saved a penalty.

He was a great keeper even then, just at the start of being England regular number 1. There were several other really good English keepers at the time, the Springett brothers, Hopkinson and Hodgkinson, Bonnetti and Grummett. Some were reliable, some brilliantly athletic but Banks was both and that was why Ramsay trusted him. He was super reliable but he could also do things like THAT save.

I count myself very lucky to have seen Banks play live a good half dozen times and he never had a bad game. But for the car crash he could have continued many more years at the top level.

RIP Gordon.
Posted by: barralad, February 12, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 11
Quite simply the best.  R.I.P. Gordon.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 12, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 12
Total legend.

One of my earliest football heroes.

RIP
Posted by: moosey_club, February 12, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 13
No amount of words will do him justice.
RIP
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, February 12, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 14
The word legend sometimes can get over used , not in this case he was a absolute football god RIP
Posted by: gaz57, February 12, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 15
Two of the worlds greatest players created one of the worlds greatest moments in football,  just one of the memories he left with us. RIP
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 12, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 16
What made that Pele save special was Pele did everything right he powered the header downwards towards the corner with pace at close range. How the hell Banksy not only got there but managed to deflect it over the bar against all odds.

RIP Gorden greatest keeper in my era.
Posted by: gobby, February 12, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 17
The one and only. RIP Mr Banks 😥
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, February 12, 2019, 9:17pm; Reply: 18
He used to live in the Village where I live, I got to play football with him when I was about 8, I had no idea who he was at time. Absolutely top bloke who did loads for the local community.
Posted by: sydney, February 12, 2019, 9:22pm; Reply: 19
My young Boyhood Hero as used to be a bit of a goalie as a kid
RIP Gordon
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 11:49am