Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Azimuth, February 11, 2019, 2:06pm
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/february/manager-auctions-manager-of-the-month-in-aid-of-fishermens-mission/
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 11, 2019, 2:07pm; Reply: 1
Thank goodness, I thought it might be another pool table!
Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2019, 2:09pm; Reply: 2
Imagine if he wins one every month, could be very lucratitve. I was outbid at £300, imagine this will go for 4 figures.
Posted by: TAGG, February 11, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 3
Being an ex fisherman and knowing how hard the mission has worked over the years for the Fisherman of GY and there families absolutely fantastic by MJ
UTM
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 11, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 4
Well done MJ great cause that.. top fella and manager
Posted by: pizzzza, February 11, 2019, 2:54pm; Reply: 5
What a guy. There is a thread about getting this guy on a 3 year contract, please double it!
Posted by: RonMariner, February 11, 2019, 2:55pm; Reply: 6
What a class act he is!

Top man.
Posted by: jimgtfc, February 11, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 7
What a guy!
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 8
Top man. He's a class act.
Posted by: wuffing, February 11, 2019, 4:18pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Azimuth

Echo all of the above. Spread the word and pack the park - he deserves it and so do the team. He is putting the pride and belief back in.
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 11, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza
What a guy. There is a thread about getting this guy on a 3 year contract, please double it!

Why would you want two threads ?😉
Posted by: Doctor Sanchez, February 11, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 11
Those awards are cursed anyway so best to get rid.  Great gesture by MJ.
Posted by: Youngy, February 11, 2019, 4:29pm; Reply: 12
Especially considering this was his first award as a manager, makes the gesture extra special.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 11, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 13
MJ is a Jolley fine person well done to him,

The pride in our club and Town is returning,
Posted by: moosey_club, February 11, 2019, 4:59pm; Reply: 14
Nice gesture  (clap2)

mind you...it would look tacky as fck on his Swedish designer sideboard so suspect Mrs MJ might have had a say in this too  ;D
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 11, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 15
What an absolute gent, we’re very lucky to have him.
Posted by: blackandwhitelaces, February 11, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 16
Top fellow, nice jesture (clap2)(clap2)(clap2)
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), February 11, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 17
It's reached £640 now.
Posted by: sydney, February 11, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 18
dont worry if u miss out as there will be another for Feb !!
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 19
This man gets it. Good bloke.
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 11, 2019, 7:28pm; Reply: 20
About time he learnt that we do our PR on the pitch
😉
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from TAGG
Being an ex fisherman and knowing how hard the mission has worked over the years for the Fisherman of GY and there families absolutely fantastic by MJ
UTM

This. Great gesture.
Posted by: wigworld, February 11, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 22
First thing we've had in the club's trophy cabinet since promotion, and he's giving it away! (angry)

Only kidding! I think this bloke really is the Messiah!
Posted by: psgmariner, February 11, 2019, 7:53pm; Reply: 23
Not been this impressed by a manager’s ability to wow the fans and media since Bignot.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2019, 7:59pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from psgmariner
Not been this impressed by a manager’s ability to wow the fans and media since Bignot.

As in wow, what team has he picked now? ??)
Posted by: GrimRob, February 11, 2019, 8:17pm; Reply: 25
If I could afford it I'd buy it and give it back to him. It's his trophy and he totally deserves it! It would be out of place on my mantelpiece.
Posted by: LH, February 11, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from GrimRob
If I could afford it I'd buy it and give it back to him. It's his trophy and he totally deserves it! It would be out of place on my mantelpiece.

Didn’t a load of fans club together to buy Maccas 700th appearance shirt he was selling in aid of a charity a while back? I’d be up for chipping in to do that for this.
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, February 11, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 27
Would be great to present it back to him, think a lot of fans would be happy to donate for this to happen
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 11, 2019, 9:23pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from LH

Didn’t a load of fans club together to buy Maccas 700th appearance shirt he was selling in aid of a charity a while back? I’d be up for chipping in to do that for this.

I’d be up for that...
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 11, 2019, 10:04pm; Reply: 29
Count me in....
Posted by: pizzzza, February 11, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 30
This is a great idea, but maybe a little odd for him to be presented with something signed by himself  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 31
Aye. Great idea. I'd be up for that too.
Posted by: LH, February 11, 2019, 11:53pm; Reply: 32
I’ve no idea how we’d go about getting all the money together for a bid in an ongoing auction. Any ideas?
Posted by: penrith mariner, February 12, 2019, 12:02am; Reply: 33
Not sure either,  but count me in too
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 12, 2019, 12:10am; Reply: 34
Another one in
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 12, 2019, 1:10am; Reply: 35
Me too
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, February 12, 2019, 3:42am; Reply: 36
Aye me too.

No doubt about it M.J. has his finger on the pulse of Grimsby he uses his brain, best P.R. man since big Lawrie Mac.

I know he needs to concentrate all his efforts in getting us back up to a decent side and I know it's not his job to, but you can't help thinking if he got involved in moving us to a new stadium it would happen at greater speed.

Probably tread on a few board MEMBERS toes/ego's mind lol  :)

Community club, need a comunity stadium.

https://www.facebook.com/MarinersTrust/videos/253068772260617/
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 12, 2019, 8:54am; Reply: 37
Quoted from LH
I’ve no idea how we’d go about getting all the money together for a bid in an ongoing auction. Any ideas?

Maybe start a new thread so more people see and someone could maybe take donations via PayPal?

If we don’t get enough it’s easy to refund everyone, or donate it to fisherman’s mission in any case even if we don’t get enough?
Posted by: Ipswin, February 12, 2019, 9:25am; Reply: 38
Quoted from GrimRob
It would be out of place on my mantelpiece.

I think it would be out of place on anyone's mantelpiece. Don't give it back to him FFS, I thought we liked the bloke!

It would also melt if you lit the fire

Posted by: toontown, February 12, 2019, 9:29am; Reply: 39
Great idea count me in. Top bloke and very generous and community spirited of him
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 12, 2019, 9:31am; Reply: 40
I'd be willing to accept payments via Paypal if we decided to go for this.

I'm sure that I can be trusted to look after the money having ran The Fishy Buster for a number of years.

Edit...

Having said that I've just had a quick look on Ebay and bidding is currently at £700 so not sure if we'd be able to raise enough to top that!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michael-Jolley-Sky-Bet-League-Two-Signed-December-Manager-of-the-Month-Award/303058454108?hash=item468fb1065c:g:AiwAAOSwYXVcYXIP:rk:1:pf:0
Posted by: LH, February 12, 2019, 9:36am; Reply: 41
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'd be willing to accept payments via Paypal if we decided to go for this.

I'm sure that I can be trusted to look after the money having ran The Fishy Buster for a number of years.

That quote made me doubt you for a second there, Les! ;)

Another idea I’ve thought of is if everyone stated how much their pledge would be by PM or something and then approach the club with a silent bid of a total. It may be gazzumped by the actual auction I suppose but theres been a number of people declare interest and with a bit of help with twitter and facebook we could better the current bid.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 12, 2019, 9:43am; Reply: 42
Quoted from LH

That quote made me doubt you for a second there, Les! ;)

Another idea I’ve thought of is if everyone stated how much their pledge would be by PM or something and then approach the club with a silent bid of a total. It may be gazzumped by the actual auction I suppose but theres been a number of people declare interest and with a bit of help with twitter and facebook we could better the current bid.

I think best idea is to put bid via EBay, as don’t think the club will remove from eBay as it may affect them with people wondering if they’ll do the same and take other items down in the future.

Might be wise to say all money raised will go to Fisherman’s mission in any case win or lose, seen as that’s the reason he’s donated his award in the first place.

Happy to help spread the word via Facebook twitter etc
Posted by: GrimRob, February 12, 2019, 1:16pm; Reply: 43
How about we all send PMs to Les with an amount and it will give him a starting value? I have sent mine to him.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 12, 2019, 1:24pm; Reply: 44
PM sent to Les
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 12, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from GrimRob
How about we all send PMs to Les with an amount and it will give him a starting value? I have sent mine to him.

Cheers Rob.

We'll see how much we can raise but I will be surprised if we manage to top the £700 it currently stands at.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 12, 2019, 2:03pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from GrimRob

Problem is pledges and actual donations maybe two completely different numbers.

Also if we did this we’d probably get more by putting on Facebook twitter etc and not everyone’s on the fishy unfortunately.

Maybe we can say we are collecting for fisherman’s mission and winning the auction is a bonus?
Posted by: RonMariner, February 12, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 47
A suggestion.

Why don't we start contributing to Les via paypal as he suggests. Then we will add whatever we raise to the auction proceeds and the entire amount is then given to the Mission?

That way the Mission will get both amounts instead of just one if we won the auction?  
Posted by: GrimRob, February 12, 2019, 2:18pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Mikey_345

Problem is pledges and actual donations maybe two completely different numbers.

Also if we did this we’d probably get more by putting on Facebook twitter etc and not everyone’s on the fishy unfortunately.

Maybe we can say we are collecting for fisherman’s mission and winning the auction is a bonus?

I imagine actual donations will exceed pledges. What happens is if it gets close to the asking amount is we can make a bid for it and then recoup the money afterwards. I am happy to make up some of the shorttfall if we're confident we can reach the target sum through a wider appeal.
Posted by: jock dock tower, February 12, 2019, 2:22pm; Reply: 49
The above makes sense. Don't forget you have to win the bid so no point bidding on it without having sufficient funds in the first instance. Why not set up a crowd funding page on Facebook? We've done it at Auchinleck Talbot to help with finding the necessary finance for floodlights, and we've raised just under £4 k in a month. We'd actually got £2k in the first two days - they tend to slow down after the initial burst. But make it dual edged so if sufficient funds aren't raised to win the plaque the money goes to the FM regardless.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/floodlightsforbeechwood?fbclid=IwAR36ZzNu8PHXaNs7CYLpzYCbXbayib-yTxN5GRPwFZFWpPP97onRF6HeZQc
Posted by: AndyDarloFC, February 12, 2019, 3:15pm; Reply: 50
Les, PM your details and I’ll be happy to shot over £10 towards the cause.
Posted by: gobby, February 12, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 51
I am actually with Ipswin on this ??) Would you really want that on display in your house? Maybe MJ wants rid of it. Giving him the awful thing back might upset the poor bloke. By all means put in a good bid but then maybe donate it elsewhere! 8)
UTMM
Posted by: ivanosandwich, February 12, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 52
If someone is happy to make up the shortfall, then this could be recouped by a percentage of the next few Buster's or a one off "Mega Buster".

The other option is to tell the club what we are doing and ask them what price to withdraw the item from auction early, if that can be done after bids have been placed.

There is no guarantee that we would win the auction as late bids can go in at anytime, we have to get the final bid. I hope one of "us" isn't bidding against "us".

I could also imagine JF hovering over his keyboard with minutes left on the auction, pushing up the bids, with £2M signs for eyeballs.  :-/
Posted by: norfuk mariner, February 12, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from gobby
I am actually with Ipswin on this ??) Would you really want that on display in your house? Maybe MJ wants rid of it. Giving him the awful thing back might upset the poor bloke. By all means put in a good bid but then maybe donate it elsewhere! 8)
UTMM

if we give it back to him he will probably put it up for sale on Ebay!!!!
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 12, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Les, PM your details and I’ll be happy to shot over £10 towards the cause.

We'll just hang fire for now Andy as we'll see if we can get anywhere near the amount needed. Personally, I doubt very much that we will.
Posted by: Mikey_345, February 12, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from Les Brechin

We'll just hang fire for now Andy as we'll see if we can get anywhere near the amount needed. Personally, I doubt very much that we will.

Possibly not on here but if publicised wider afield I reckon we would.
Posted by: RonMariner, February 12, 2019, 6:03pm; Reply: 56
Why compete with the auction?

Why not let whoever wins hand over the £700 plus, and we can just collect as much as we can to add to that total. Then one of us could no doubt go with Jolley to hand over all of the combined funds?

That way we show MJ that we appreciate and support his gesture and the Mission gets more cash. Win Win.
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2019, 6:12pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from RonMariner
Why compete with the auction?

Why not let whoever wins hand over the £700 plus, and we can just collect as much as we can to add to that total. Then one of us could no doubt go with Jolley to hand over all of the combined funds?

That way we show MJ that we appreciate and support his gesture and the Mission gets more cash. Win Win.

Thats a great idea don't compete just add what we can rise to the e bay amount.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 12, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from grimsby pete

Thats a great idea don't compete just add what we can rise to the e bay amount.

That makes complete sense. The Mission gets even more cash (courtesy of us but inspired by Jolley's lead) and he doesn't get lumbered with an horrific plastic thing he's trying to get rid of anyway.

Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 12, 2019, 6:35pm; Reply: 59
Happy with that and to put in as before.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 12, 2019, 6:46pm; Reply: 60
Me too.
Posted by: GrimRob, February 12, 2019, 8:21pm; Reply: 61
Cant we present him with a smaller replacement?
Posted by: AussieMariner, February 12, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from GrimRob

Or a certificate with an image of the thing and an inscription commemorating both his motm and his act of generosity
Much simpler and cheaper and can be shoved in a drawer
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 12, 2019, 9:02pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from GrimRob

I am sure Ginny could make a more presentable trophy that MJ would love on his mantlepiece. ;)
Posted by: wuffing, February 12, 2019, 9:16pm; Reply: 64
How about a nice engraved tankard?
Posted by: Grimal, February 13, 2019, 12:13am; Reply: 65
Bidding has now reached  £800  .
Posted by: Trickytrev, February 13, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 66
Bids now up to £940
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 14, 2019, 12:25am; Reply: 67

Now up to £1,220 with still around 4 days left.
Posted by: LH, February 14, 2019, 11:54am; Reply: 68
I take it we’ve not matched that with PMd pledges then, Les?
Posted by: pizzzza, February 14, 2019, 12:09pm; Reply: 69
Somebody somewhere reaaaaaaaaaally wants a SkyBet logo on a piece of perspex.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 14, 2019, 12:53pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from pizzzza
Somebody somewhere reaaaaaaaaaally wants a SkyBet logo on a piece of perspex.

Maybe it's Neil Ardley's best chance.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 14, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from LH
I take it we’ve not matched that with PMd pledges then, Les?

Nowhere near. Only had 4 or 5 pledges.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 15, 2019, 10:45am; Reply: 72
Bidding up to £1420 now!!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michael-Jolley-Sky-Bet-League-Two-Signed-December-Manager-of-the-Month-Award/303058454108?hash=item468fb1065c:g:AiwAAOSwYXVcYXIP:rk:1:pf:0
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 15, 2019, 10:51am; Reply: 73
I will put in a tenner Les if you are collecting,

30 posters x 10 = £300  not bad,

I know not all can spare a tenner but every little helps. 8)
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, February 16, 2019, 6:19am; Reply: 74
Quoted from Les Brechin

And £5.99 for postage!
Posted by: bradzmilne, February 16, 2019, 6:41am; Reply: 75
Who on earth has that kind of money?  ;D

Fair play to them though
Posted by: RonMariner, February 16, 2019, 5:31pm; Reply: 76
The way things are going he will have another one to auction soon.

If we win next week he must be in with a real chance.
Posted by: Teesknees, February 16, 2019, 5:46pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from bradzmilne
Who on earth has that kind of money?  ;D

Fair play to them though

Russell Slade, his only chance of getting one now!
Posted by: Grimal, February 16, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 78
I think this trophy should take pride of place in a room with a snooker table and a picture of a half naked lady. ;) Perhaps belonging to someone who should be really thankful and to show some appreciation that the GTFC Manager and his staff has done a great job of turning the fortunes of the football club around ,and as a reminder what almost happened last season, from on the verge of returning to non-league to a squad to be reckoned with in League 2..
Thank you Michael Jolley and your Backroom staff,you are a breath of fresh air to Our club.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 16, 2019, 7:52pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Grimal
I think this trophy would look nice in a room with a snooker table and a picture of a half naked lady. ;) Perhaps belonging to someone who should be really thankful and show some appreciation that the GTFC Manager and his staff has done a great job of turning the fortunes of the football club around ,from almost returning to non-league to a squad to be reckoned with in League 2..

FFS who do you think the high bidder is? I can only think of one person rich enough and daft enough to throw that sort of money around

Posted by: Grimal, February 16, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS who do you think the high bidder is? I can only think of one person rich enough and daft enough to throw that sort of money around

;) And I would like to think you're right but I wouldn't look at it as throwing money around, it's for a great cause.

Posted by: Ipswin, February 16, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Grimal

;) And I would like to think you're right but I wouldn't look at it as throwing money around, it's for a great cause.

I totally agree but it would be more like you know who to make the donation by  buying Jolley's trophy for his mantelpiece, I wonder if whoever buys it would just give 4 grand to the cause without the trophy

Posted by: LH, February 16, 2019, 9:55pm; Reply: 82
It’s the sort of piece that would appeal to a general football memorabilia collector. Unique in that it is signed, rare as there are only 12 available per season (same design last year I think, not that we won any). I doubt it is a Town fan looking to buy it.
Posted by: Grimal, February 16, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from Ipswin

I totally agree but it would be more like you know who to make the donation by  buying Jolley's trophy for his mantelpiece, I wonder if whoever buys it would just give 4 grand to the cause without the trophy

I personally would love to be in a financial position to give 4 grand for the trophy and then anonymously return it to it's deserved owner.

Posted by: Les Brechin, February 16, 2019, 10:48pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Ipswin

Not you is it 'Swin.  ;)
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 16, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 85

I wonder how much it costs to make one of these trophies?

I assume the base is made out of something like aluminium and not plastic or solid silver   :)  
Posted by: Ipswin, February 17, 2019, 9:06am; Reply: 86
Quoted from Grimal

I personally would love to be in a financial position to give 4 grand for the trophy and then anonymously return it to it's deserved owner.

He doesn't want the bloody thing! Please don't lets go there again

Posted by: Ipswin, February 17, 2019, 9:11am; Reply: 87
Quoted from Les Brechin

Not you is it 'Swin.  ;)

Afraid not Les, not yet anyway but who knows, my book is published next month

I don't want the damn thing any more than Jolley, if I were to put up £4000+ it would be for the Mission but I'd do it on the understanding that I didn't get the bloody trophy

Posted by: jock dock tower, February 17, 2019, 11:16am; Reply: 88
Quoted from LH
It’s the sort of piece that would appeal to a general football memorabilia collector. Unique in that it is signed, rare as there are only 12 available per season (same design last year I think, not that we won any). I doubt it is a Town fan looking to buy it.

It will be a Town fan or a business with links to the club. They're not that collectable in terms of memorabilia, especially when you can get league 1 and 2 championship medals for less at specialist football auctions.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 17, 2019, 10:13pm; Reply: 89
So we know it’s not you either then Jock.

Whoever is the leading/winning bidder, there must be at least one other idiot/generous soul. ;-)
Posted by: dicko995, February 18, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 90
at £1,650 at the moment, ends today at 1.37pm.
Posted by: oochiad, February 18, 2019, 11:10am; Reply: 91
So when Jolley’s England’s manager in twenty years time, his first ever manager trophy might be worth abit..........😉😉
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 18, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 92
Sold for £1650. Nice sum of money for The Fishermans Mission.

Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 18, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 93
The one he wins for Feb will be next then
Posted by: Ipswin, February 18, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from Les Brechin

Providing the high bidder coughs up Les. It wouldn't be the first lot on Ebay to be bid up to a ridiculously high amount by some sodomist pissing about who has no intention of paying. Let's hope it's a genuine buyer

Posted by: Helgy, February 19, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 95
That's an amazing figure to go for ,had a look at your Ebay site & its given me an idea.
Print page generated: April 19, 2024, 2:49am