Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: livosnose, February 11, 2019, 1:55pm
by my reckoning Sladey left the building with a memory stick full of powerpoints...........
Posted by: RoboCod, February 11, 2019, 2:04pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from livosnose
by my reckoning Sladey left the building with a memory stick full of powerpoints...........

30 minutes later I had the booze out and a one-man party in my kitchen. I shall do the same later, such things should be commemorated...
Posted by: Abdul19, February 11, 2019, 2:23pm; Reply: 2
I reckon Slades was more of a floppy disk man.
Posted by: Les Brechin, February 11, 2019, 2:25pm; Reply: 3
We'd all be looking forward to Saturday's trip to Havant and Waterlooville!  ;)
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 11, 2019, 2:44pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin
We'd all be looking forward to Saturday's trip to Havant and Waterlooville!  ;)

Doesn't bear thinking about. Can't believe how close we came.
Posted by: rancido, February 11, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from livosnose

They are all parts of his Masterplan of " building for the future".
Posted by: rancido, February 11, 2019, 4:08pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from marinerdazza

…...and I can't believe how many posters on here wanted him back and were " creaming their jeans " when his appointment was announced.
Posted by: nightrider, February 11, 2019, 4:22pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from rancido

…...and I can't believe how many posters on here wanted him back and were " creaming their jeans " when his appointment was announced.

;D
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 11, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido

And they still support him.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 11, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from rancido

I was pleased when he was appointed. Wilko with him seemed a good move too and I thought it was just what we needed after the Bignot debacle. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Posted by: Davec, February 11, 2019, 5:35pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from RoboCod

30 minutes later I had the booze out and a one-man party in my kitchen. I shall do the same later, such things should be commemorated...

Was Jona Lewie with you?
Posted by: GollyGTFC, February 11, 2019, 7:16pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from marinerdazza

Slade was sacked with us 9 points above the relegation zone. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative that Slade had us relegated & Jolley came in and saved the day,
Posted by: LondonMariner43, February 11, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Slade was sacked with us 9 points above the relegation zone. But hey, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative that Slade had us relegated & Jolley came in and saved the day,

Your facts are correct but there was only one direction of travel at the point Slade was sacked.  I was fairly optimistic when Slade and Wilko were appointed - but it was time for him to go.

Jolley hasn’t got everything right but it’s clear that he is building something positive.
Posted by: rancido, February 11, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
[quote=3362]

I was pleased when he was appointed. Wilko with him seemed a good move too and I thought it was just what we needed after the Bignot debacle. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.[/quote]

I prefer " Once bitten, twice shy".
My first wife left me  because she thought she could have a better life . When the dream faded and it all went pear shaped , she wanted me back. Did I take her back - did I f*ck !
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Your facts are correct but there was only one direction of travel at the point Slade was sacked.  I was fairly optimistic when Slade and Wilko were appointed - but it was time for him to go.

Jolley hasn’t got everything right but it’s clear that he is building something positive.

Absolutely right. Both men were 100metres above sea level at Beachy Head. One was climbing the other falling.
Posted by: RoboCod, February 11, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from GollyGTFC

It was nearly mid-February and our last win had been back in early December. No win in around 20 games. Deadline day saw our top scorer leave.
We were 9 pts clear due to the sheer awfulness of Barnet and C'field, who luckily for us remained awful. Relegation form, clear as day.
Posted by: hheh2, February 11, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 16
I am the only one that thought Bignot wasn't that bad?
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2019, 8:25pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Oh man, you didn't think be should be sacked?!?!?
Posted by: Perkins, February 11, 2019, 9:32pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Abdul19
I reckon Slades was more of a floppy disk man.

If you replace the s in disk with a c, I think you will find that equates to a useless tool.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 11, 2019, 9:40pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from hheh2
I am the only one that thought Bignot wasn't that bad?

No I thought he needed longer to put what he wanted to do in action, I know he was full of bull sometimes but he brought in some decent youing players and was never going to cope with losing Omar on deadline day.
Posted by: blundellpork, February 11, 2019, 10:07pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from Madeleymariner

No I thought he needed longer to put what he wanted to do in action, I know he was full of bull sometimes but he brought in some decent youing players and was never going to cope with losing Omar on deadline day.

Whilst he signed some good prospects, the way he treated that game against Doncaster sealed his fate. Treating the game like a training session and playing players out of position hugely concerned me. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Although I expected him to last until Sept/ Oct, I was convinced that he would lead us into a relegation battle the next season.

Clearly Slade wasn’t the right solution, but neither was keeping Bignot.
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from blundellpork

Whilst he signed some good prospects, the way he treated that game against Doncaster sealed his fate. Treating the game like a training session and playing players out of position hugely concerned me. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Although I expected him to last until Sept/ Oct, I was convinced that he would lead us into a relegation battle the next season.

Clearly Slade wasn’t the right solution, but neither was keeping Bignot.

Absolutely this. Bignot was a disaster, even some of his own signings had major misgivings about his management (Clements was one of the players who voiced concerns allegedly). You only have to look at his managerial record since he left here to see that he doesn't really have that much about him as a manager.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 11, 2019, 10:22pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from mariner91

Absolutely this. Bignot was a disaster, even some of his own signings had major misgivings about his management (Clements was one of the players who voiced concerns allegedly). You only have to look at his managerial record since he left here to see that he doesn't really have that much about him as a manager.

I think it’s an easy accusation. Several Bignot players are in the Solihull team near the top of the Conference, he clearly did something or said something that upset our board because his results were worthy of longer.
Posted by: mariner91, February 11, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I think it’s an easy accusation. Several Bignot players are in the Solihull team near the top of the Conference, he clearly did something or said something that upset our board because his results were worthy of longer.

That may be but it's one thing signing some half decent (and not one of those three players are proven in the FL despite two of them both approaching their 27th birthdays) but there was absolutely no evidence of a plan that he was supposedly implementing.

The formation and the personnel changed weekly, seemingly at random which was an accusation thrown at him by Chester fans last season so that throws the theory of him planning something long term out of the window. Despite nearly 30 games in charge there was zero improvement in performance from when he took over, in fact I'd say the performances had got alarmingly worse in terms of consistency, even some of the wins had been after pretty poor performances. There was no clear pattern of play that had been worked on or anything like the slow progressive improvements that MJ has overseen. In short, he's a charlatan and I would be gobsmacked if he ever manages in the FL again.

Given that we all know Shaun Pearson is a loyal, decent chap, his reaction towards Bignot after Wrexham played Chester last season was pretty telling.
Posted by: chaos33, February 11, 2019, 10:47pm; Reply: 24
I agree. He will never manage in the FL.
Posted by: marinerdazza, February 11, 2019, 11:07pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Can’t be arsed. Particularly as you used the word “narrative”.
Posted by: RichMariner, February 12, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 26
It took Bignot ages to get things going at Solihull. From what I remember, even their fans were wondering what the hell he was doing for the first season or so - and then he hit on the formula and got them promoted (even after losing Bogle to us).

He's clearly a tinkerman. I get the Bignot Bingo thing, it was frustrating to not know who was going to play where, what the hell we were doing sometimes (and there were some dire performances thrown in there before the Donny debacle, like the defeats at Stevenage and Crewe).

But I think it's easy to throw the accusation that he 'didn't know what he was doing' when, I believe, he had some idea. Clearly, he was experimenting. He believed he had the rest of the season to mess around with the squad, test a few players out, etc.

Bignot had a habit of putting out teams that would keep picking up points. Straight after Donny we went and won at Blackpool - a team that got promoted at the end of the season.

I do believe Bignot was a builder - well, more than Slade was - but I agree that the way he went about things and upset the senior players was not wise. Fenty called him a fruit loop but he's never responded to that and it'd be good to know exactly what was said when he was sacked because, as we all know, results alone weren't terrible.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 12, 2019, 12:42pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from GollyGTFC

You're forgetting the games in between Slade leaving and jolley joining.be interested to see the table when he did take over. Quite how you think that Slade wouldve kept us up is beyond me
Posted by: sam gy, February 12, 2019, 1:04pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from mariner91

Given that we all know Shaun Pearson is a loyal, decent chap, his reaction towards Bignot after Wrexham played Chester last season was pretty telling.

What happened? Didn't see anything at the time.

I do remember Pearson being interviewed on RH towards the end of Bignot's tenure about his own future and you could tell something was amiss.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 12, 2019, 1:27pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Narrative? It's exactly what happened. With Slade in charge we didn't know where the next shot was coming from, let alone the next win. Jolley transformed the entire atmosphere at the club and without him we'd would 100% be a National League side right now.
Posted by: buckstown, February 12, 2019, 1:29pm; Reply: 30
MJ was appointed March 2nd, we were 20th with 36 points from 35 games.
Not sure if this link will work but you can set the date and get any league table on any date.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-two/02-march-2018/
Posted by: RoboCod, February 12, 2019, 1:35pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from buckstown

/

I remember that game in hand that Chesterfield (and a few around us) had made us a little nervous.
Posted by: Youngy, February 12, 2019, 1:59pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from buckstown
Not sure if this link will work but you can set the date and get any league table on any date.
https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-two/02-march-2018/

By my calculation then, Jolley has been in charge for 43 games and has a total of 58 points.

After 43 games last season that would have put us 12th. 10 points from the play offs and a massive 18 points off the relegation zone.

Print page generated: April 24, 2024, 9:30am