Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: ska face, February 8, 2019, 6:16pm
Been cleared to manage Oldham, which means we could be a few months away from Salford v Oldham - a team he owns v a team he manages.

Absolute fuccking farce. Would never be allowed further up the pyramid.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 8, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 1
I'm guessing he'll sell his share of Salford to mystery Isle of Man based company Saul Poles Enterprises.

Oh hang on, sorry, that bit's ok. Jesus!  :o
Posted by: psgmariner, February 8, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 2
Hopefully Salford follow FCUM in to oblivion.
Posted by: Stadium, February 8, 2019, 8:00pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from ska face
Been cleared to manage Oldham, which means we could be a few months away from Salford v Oldham - a team he owns v a team he manages.

Absolute fuccking farce. Would never be allowed further up the pyramid.

Has a 10 per cent stake,hardly owns the club.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 8, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 4

I never thought of Scholes as management material, allegedly he is a shy man off the pitch.

Now I've said that he'll probably be as good as Cloughy (couldn't bring myself to say Fergie  :))
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 8, 2019, 8:22pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from psgmariner
Hopefully Salford follow FCUM in to oblivion.

Why? Can hardly class those two in the same light.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 8, 2019, 8:29pm; Reply: 6
The rules are quite clear regarding involvement at two clubs and for a very good reason. This is wrong, why bother with rules if some bloke with a high profile has exceptions made for him? I can only imagine if Salford are promoted, he has agreed to step down at Oldham or relinquish his stake in Salford.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 8, 2019, 8:40pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from fishboyUTM
The rules are quite clear regarding involvement at two clubs and for a very good reason. This is wrong, why bother with rules if some bloke with a high profile has exceptions made for him? I can only imagine if Salford are promoted, he has agreed to step down at Oldham or relinquish his stake in Salford.

Not that I agree with it but......

"EFL rules prohibit a person holding roles with two clubs at the same time without the prior consent of the board.

But a shareholding of 10 per cent or less in a club is disregarded so long as it is held “purely for investment purposes”, clearing the way for Scholes to take up his first managerial role with Oldham, whom he followed as a boy."
Posted by: psgmariner, February 8, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Why? Can hardly class those two in the same light.

Made up hobby clubs with hypocritcal and ridiculous ways of operating.
Posted by: Hameln Mariner, February 8, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from psgmariner

I take it that you have never been to a FCUM game then? They most certainly are not a hobby club, more like Wimbledon or the reformed Hereford.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, February 8, 2019, 10:00pm; Reply: 10
Christ how tough can it be for them to say you have to sell your stake in a club before being manager of another? How dodgy will any transfer between the clubs look in summer.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 8, 2019, 10:06pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Christ how tough can it be for them to say you have to sell your stake in a club before being manager of another? How dodgy will any transfer between the clubs look in summer.

"According to Sky Sources, the only restriction to Scholes taking over as manager of Oldham is that he will not be allowed to sign players from, or sell to Salford City."
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 8, 2019, 10:16pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from psgmariner

Jesus wept man. Do you not know anything about FCUM?
Posted by: Laddy89, February 9, 2019, 12:28am; Reply: 13
FFS what a stupid post and waste of time.

If John McDermott owned 10% of Grimsby then got offered the managers job at Swindon would you be outraged and saying it should be stopped?

Of course not.

Boring post from a clueless person
Posted by: immariner, February 9, 2019, 12:56am; Reply: 14

Jesus wept man. Do you not know anything about FCUM?

They had major concerns with the way their club was ran, the debt the Glazers put the club into, and just the state of football at the top of the game. Fair enough. But imagine if disenfranchised supporters from other big clubs did the same and you had the upper non league full of FC United of Newcastle's and FC Villa of Aston's, potentially ending up in the football league- you wouldn't find that an absolute farce?

They could have gone and supported any number of historic, established non-league Manchester-area clubs, but instead decided to set up their own self-indulgent vanity project, thereby taking promotion places from those aforementioned clubs.

Nah. Though I support a lot of their beliefs, in principle, not the way to do it. I won't be sad if they fall away.
Posted by: Grantley, February 9, 2019, 1:18am; Reply: 15
Quoted from Laddy89

If John McDermott owned 10% of Grimsby then got offered the managers job at Swindon would you be outraged and saying it should be stopped?

Of course not.

Clearly certain feelings run deeper than this thread...

I would certainly not want Jolley to own a stake in another club, even in the league below (and let’s face it, Salford will be joining us very soon, with their £4K a week wages on 2.5k crowds).
Posted by: ska face, February 9, 2019, 12:54pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Laddy89

Well...yeah, obviously. That’s the point.

You’ve just changed the names and the teams, not sure why that would make a difference?
Posted by: Madeleymariner, February 9, 2019, 2:58pm; Reply: 17
Good luck to him not, virtually no coaching and no management experience, would make me laugh to see them crash and burn to prove just because you earned a lot of money and played for England doesn't mean you will be a good manager but also fair do's he is starting at a fairly low level with a club he has a connection to. :-/
Posted by: moosey_club, February 9, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 18
Cant imagine it lasting too long personally.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 9, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from immariner

They had major concerns with the way their club was ran, the debt the Glazers put the club into, and just the state of football at the top of the game. Fair enough. But imagine if disenfranchised supporters from other big clubs did the same and you had the upper non league full of FC United of Newcastle's and FC Villa of Aston's, potentially ending up in the football league- you wouldn't find that an absolute farce?

They could have gone and supported any number of historic, established non-league Manchester-area clubs, but instead decided to set up their own self-indulgent vanity project, thereby taking promotion places from those aforementioned clubs.

Nah. Though I support a lot of their beliefs, in principle, not the way to do it. I won't be sad if they fall away.

If that happened I'd be happy overall. Be much happier with clubs run by ordinary people with community spirit and identity than the international brigade of plutocrats, sponsored by gambling companies and promoted by lying media organisations.

I don't see it in anyway as a self-indulgent vanity project. There are plenty of ways to indulge yourself and boost your own ego, but putting in the effort and passion and intelligence to set-up and run a football club is not one of them.

A lot of the other non-league clubs are bank-rolled by sugar daddies who have their own agendas, so I don't see why a bunch of community owned and run clubs would somehow turn things into a farce.

As for going to support other local clubs, well that depends on how someone sees their identity. Those FCUM members obviously see themselves as Manchester United fans not Bury, or Rochdale, or (God forbid) Salford fans.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 10, 2019, 10:11am; Reply: 20
Quoted from MeanwoodMariner
Christ how tough can it be for them to say you have to sell your stake in a club before being manager of another? .

Perhaps we could apply on Fenty's behalf for him to be a manager somewhere

Posted by: Stadium, February 10, 2019, 11:07am; Reply: 21

If that happened I'd be happy overall. Be much happier with clubs run by ordinary people with community spirit and identity than the international brigade of plutocrats, sponsored by gambling companies and promoted by lying media organisations.

I don't see it in anyway as a self-indulgent vanity project. There are plenty of ways to indulge yourself and boost your own ego, but putting in the effort and passion and intelligence to set-up and run a football club is not one of them.

A lot of the other non-league clubs are bank-rolled by sugar daddies who have their own agendas, so I don't see why a bunch of community owned and run clubs would somehow turn things into a farce.

As for going to support other local clubs, well that depends on how someone sees their identity. Those FCUM members obviously see themselves as Manchester United fans not Bury, or Rochdale, or (God forbid) Salford fans.

Good summary.
A good read on the subject is red rebels by John-Paul O'Neill.

Posted by: Son of Cod, February 10, 2019, 11:46am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Laddy89

Of course not.

Alright so next season, Town are 2 points off the playoffs with 4 games to play. As are Salford. Oldham are safe in 14th with nothing to play for. It's Town away at FGR and we lose and you check your phone to see Oldham have fielded a weakened side and have been turned over 3-0 away at Salford...
Posted by: Ipswin, February 10, 2019, 2:11pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Son of Cod

Alright so next season, Town are 2 points off the playoffs with 4 games to play. As are Salford. Oldham are safe in 14th with nothing to play for. It's Town away at FGR and we lose and you check your phone to see Oldham have fielded a weakened side and have been turned over 3-0 away at Salford...

FFS

Posted by: fivestarfish, February 10, 2019, 6:09pm; Reply: 24
Even if he sells his stake he is still going to have an emotional commitment.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 10, 2019, 6:44pm; Reply: 25
Massive fan of Scholes the player, not bad as a pundit but whilst he's a shareholder of another club, this stinks.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 11, 2019, 1:12pm; Reply: 26

Scholes now confirmed as Oldham manager.
Posted by: Sigone, March 14, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 27
Didn't last long did it.
Posted by: forza ivano, March 14, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 28
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47570578

and we think our club is a shambles at times
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 14, 2019, 5:30pm; Reply: 29

I wonder if he asked for a fitness coach and a scout and instead got a new Portakabin   :)
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 14, 2019, 6:13pm; Reply: 30
Slade is looking for a job  ;)
Posted by: moosey_club, March 14, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from moosey_club

8)

Where do i claim my prize ?
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 14, 2019, 7:44pm; Reply: 32
I wonder if he would have resigned today if he had won more than his first game in charge. 6 points from 7 and he has probably resigned before he is pushed.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 14, 2019, 10:41pm; Reply: 33

I'm an old fart that resists new technology so this did make me smile.........

"Paul Scholes resigned as manager of Oldham Athletic via WhatsApp, Sky Sports News understands."
Posted by: Maringer, March 14, 2019, 11:17pm; Reply: 34
I wonder which emojis he used?
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 15, 2019, 6:52am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Maringer
I wonder which emojis he used?

You are 💩. It seems I am even 💩ter.

I can have a better life doing that ⚽️ Punditry thing rather than this 💩 and it pays more 💰.

⏰ for me to go as I don’t think we are gonna get to the 🔝

Sorry I am a 🔔🔚

👨‍🦰
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 15, 2019, 8:46am; Reply: 36
He don't say that much so I reckon he would of gone with this

(icon_neutral)
Posted by: Biccys, March 15, 2019, 10:27am; Reply: 37
Quoted from moosey_club

Can you give me 6 numbers between 1 & 49 please?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 15, 2019, 10:55am; Reply: 38
Hurst in?
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, March 15, 2019, 12:47pm; Reply: 39
Slade out
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 15, 2019, 3:48pm; Reply: 40
Going by Bet Victor's odds, it seems like the bookies haven't got any real clue yet.

Quoted Text
Pete Wild 4/1
Mick Priest 5/1
Peter Clarke 6/1
John Askey 8/1
Paul Heckingbottom 10/1
Steven Pressley 10/1
Jacques Santini 12/1
Paul Hurst 12/1
Phil Brown 14/1
Steve Evans 14/1
Darrell Clarke 14/1
John Sheridan 16/1
Dino Maamira 16/1
Russell Slade 16/1
David Hopkin 16/1
Jim Gannon 20/1
Lee Clark 20/1
Harry Kewell 20/1
Darren Ferguson 25/1
Owen Coyle 25/1
Robbie Fowler 25/1
Simon Grayson 25/1
Kevin Nolan 25/1
Jim Bentley 25/1
Tm Flowers 25/1
Mark Warburton 25/1
Stuart McCall 25/1
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink 25/1
Paul Cox 25/1
Steve Cotterill 25/1
Graham Barrow 25/1
Billy Davies 25/1
Brian McDermott 25/1
Craig Bellamy 25/1
Dave Challinor 25/1
Gary Waddock 25/1
Gary Holt 25/1
Ian Holloway 25/1
Jamie Fullarton 25/1
Lee Bradbury 25/1
Lee Carsley 25/1
Nick Daws 25/1
Shaun Derry 25/1
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 15, 2019, 7:46pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Slade out

Always!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, March 15, 2019, 9:00pm; Reply: 42
Sounds like Oldham have got a joker of an owner who someone like Scholes doesn’t have the patience to put up with after working with the best of the best . And you know what I don’t blame him !
Oldham could be next seasons Notts County .
Posted by: WesternMariner, March 16, 2019, 8:09am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Les Brechin
Going by Bet Victor's odds, it seems like the bookies haven't got any real clue yet.

Robbie Fowler spotted at Birch Services.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 16, 2019, 11:09am; Reply: 44
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Sounds like Oldham have got a joker of an owner who someone like Scholes doesn’t have the patience to put up with after working with the best of the best . And you know what I don’t blame him !
Oldham could be next seasons Notts County .

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Right or wrong, the owner is the one who puts up the cash and says how the club will be run. Scholes is a fool. He thought his rep would win him some favours and leeway with the owner to get his own way but it didn't. He just did not do his own due diligence and paid the penalty. No good Scholes blaming the owner when he is only an employee.

Posted by: Stadium, March 16, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 45

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

Right or wrong, the owner is the one who puts up the cash and says how the club will be run. Scholes is a fool. He thought his rep would win him some favours and leeway with the owner to get his own way but it didn't. He just did not do his own due diligence and paid the penalty. No good Scholes blaming the owner when he is only an employee.

Wibbletastic.

Have you read the article??

Paul Scholes has resigned as manager of Oldham Athletic after just 31 days in the job.
The former Manchester United and England midfielder was appointed on an 18-month contract last month in what marked his first foray into management.
But he is understood to have tired quickly of interference from Oldham’s controversial Moroccan owner Abdallah Lemsagam and informed the club’s board on Thursday afternoon of his decision.
Scholes won just one of his seven games in charge and leaves Oldham lying in fourteenth position in League Two.

“It is with great regret that I have decided to leave the club with immediate effect,” Scholes said in a statement.

“I hoped to at the very least, see out my initial term of 18 months as the manager of a club I’ve supported all my life. The fans, players, my friends and family all knew how proud and excited I was to take this role.
“In the short period since I took on the role it unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role.
“I wish the fans, the players and the staff - who have been tremendous - all the best for the rest of the season and will continue to watch and support the club as a fan.”

Scholes had warned when he took the job that he would not tolerate any interference in first team matters from Lemsagam.
But the concerns harboured by those close to Scholes - many of whom had warned him against taking the job - have been borne out, with the 44-year-old eventually accepting that his position had become untenable.
In a statement, Oldham said: “Oldham Athletic Football Club can confirm that Paul Scholes has resigned from his position as First Team Manager with immediate effect.
“We would like to place on record our thanks to Paul for his efforts during his spell in charge of the club and would like to wish him well for the future. An update on the permanent replacement will be made as soon as possible.”
Lemsagam bought Oldham from Simon Corney in January last year and Scholes was his third permanent manager in just 15 months.
Richie Wellens was sacked last June and his replacement Frankie Bunn lasted six months before being dismissed at Christmas. Scholes took over on Feb. 11 from caretaker manager Pete Wild.
Lemsagam was subjected to a scathing attack from former Oldham player Craig Davies last summer following his move to Mansfield. Davies accused the owner of treating staff and players “in such a bad way” and claimed Wellens’s hands were tied as manager due to the “restrictions put on him”.

“With all the good at the club I wish it well in an unclear future because I can honestly say in the 14 years I've been a professional footballer I've never worked for someone that thinks it's acceptable to treat his staff and players in such a bad way,” Davies had said.
"This will have an effect on the mood of the club, not just the playing staff but the office staff too.""I feel very sorry for Richie Wellens who was an excellent manager for me but whose hands were clearly tied by the restrictions put on him by the chairman. I wish the club, not the owner, nothing but good fortune for the club season and the future."

Of course in the future you wont mind JF treating the manager & players in the same way??

Posted by: GrimRob, March 16, 2019, 8:27pm; Reply: 46
For some people, they'd much rather be the boss than the employee, and if they can afford it they'll walk rather than put up with someone they don't get on with.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 17, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Stadium

Wibbletastic.

Have you read the article??

Paul Scholes has resigned as manager of Oldham Athletic after just 31 days in the job.
The former Manchester United and England midfielder was appointed on an 18-month contract last month in what marked his first foray into management.
But he is understood to have tired quickly of interference from Oldham’s controversial Moroccan owner Abdallah Lemsagam and informed the club’s board on Thursday afternoon of his decision.
Scholes won just one of his seven games in charge and leaves Oldham lying in fourteenth position in League Two.

“It is with great regret that I have decided to leave the club with immediate effect,” Scholes said in a statement.

“I hoped to at the very least, see out my initial term of 18 months as the manager of a club I’ve supported all my life. The fans, players, my friends and family all knew how proud and excited I was to take this role.
“In the short period since I took on the role it unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role.
“I wish the fans, the players and the staff - who have been tremendous - all the best for the rest of the season and will continue to watch and support the club as a fan.”

Scholes had warned when he took the job that he would not tolerate any interference in first team matters from Lemsagam.
But the concerns harboured by those close to Scholes - many of whom had warned him against taking the job - have been borne out, with the 44-year-old eventually accepting that his position had become untenable.
In a statement, Oldham said: “Oldham Athletic Football Club can confirm that Paul Scholes has resigned from his position as First Team Manager with immediate effect.
“We would like to place on record our thanks to Paul for his efforts during his spell in charge of the club and would like to wish him well for the future. An update on the permanent replacement will be made as soon as possible.”
Lemsagam bought Oldham from Simon Corney in January last year and Scholes was his third permanent manager in just 15 months.
Richie Wellens was sacked last June and his replacement Frankie Bunn lasted six months before being dismissed at Christmas. Scholes took over on Feb. 11 from caretaker manager Pete Wild.
Lemsagam was subjected to a scathing attack from former Oldham player Craig Davies last summer following his move to Mansfield. Davies accused the owner of treating staff and players “in such a bad way” and claimed Wellens’s hands were tied as manager due to the “restrictions put on him”.

“With all the good at the club I wish it well in an unclear future because I can honestly say in the 14 years I've been a professional footballer I've never worked for someone that thinks it's acceptable to treat his staff and players in such a bad way,” Davies had said.
"This will have an effect on the mood of the club, not just the playing staff but the office staff too.""I feel very sorry for Richie Wellens who was an excellent manager for me but whose hands were clearly tied by the restrictions put on him by the chairman. I wish the club, not the owner, nothing but good fortune for the club season and the future."

Of course in the future you wont mind JF treating the manager & players in the same way??

All that stuff does not alter the outcome one iota. I repeat, Scholes is a fool. He did not do his due diligence about the owner or he would have known what he would get. If he had called me up and asked advice ;) I could have told him before he set foot in the place. I have zero sympathy for the owner and minus one sympathy for Scholes.
Posted by: Gaffer58, March 17, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 48
Just out of interest can the owner sue Scholes for resigning and not fulfilling his contract, I'm sure if Scholes had been sacked he would have expected his contract to be honoured.
Posted by: Stadium, March 18, 2019, 12:33pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from Gaffer58
Just out of interest can the owner sue Scholes for resigning and not fulfilling his contract, I'm sure if Scholes had been sacked he would have expected his contract to be honoured.

He may have given notice on his contract.
The owner and scholes then probably decided to terminate it by mutual consent.
So no legal recourse.
Posted by: Stadium, March 18, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 50

All that stuff does not alter the outcome one iota. I repeat, Scholes is a fool. He did not do his due diligence about the owner or he would have known what he would get. If he had called me up and asked advice ;) I could have told him before he set foot in the place. I have zero sympathy for the owner and minus one sympathy for Scholes.

Ah my apologies.
I didn't understand that you were privy to the workings of the club and the conversations between the two parties.

Posted by: psgmariner, April 16, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 51
He’s been done for misconduct in relation to betting today. Wonder if that’s why he bailed out earlier.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, April 16, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 52
How much flipping money do girl privates like these need ? intercourse off u greedy little ginger illegitimate
Posted by: golfer, April 16, 2019, 4:57pm; Reply: 53
Thanks
Posted by: moosey_club, April 16, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
How much flipping money do girl privates like these need ? intercourse off u greedy little ginger illegitimate

This.
Posted by: psgmariner, April 16, 2019, 8:46pm; Reply: 55
And now Butt arrested for assaulting a women.

Classy class of 92...
Posted by: Ipswin, April 16, 2019, 9:51pm; Reply: 56
Are we leaving Barton and Hennessey alone now there are new targets for our jealousy?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 16, 2019, 10:20pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Ipswin
Are we leaving Barton and Hennessey alone now there are new targets for our jealousy?

Hardly think the fact people are criticising cnuts shows that they are jealous of them.
Posted by: Abdul19, April 16, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from psgmariner
And now Butt arrested for assaulting a women.

Classy class of 92...

Yeah but Scholes once kicked a ball at a tree
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 1:49pm