Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Nutsy, February 7, 2019, 12:13pm
Is another operation promotion a terrible idea? Didn't know a lot about the last one but it maybe a good idea to launch us and Jolley
Posted by: Son of Cod, February 7, 2019, 12:20pm; Reply: 1
Another fundraising/crowdfunding thing is a decent idea, but call it something different I reckon. Last time round as beaten playoff finalists and among the favourites to go up Operation Promotion made sense, but we'll be far from favourites to go up next season in the eyes of the rest of the division/media and it's very likely that we're going to finish this season somewhere in the 10th to 16/17th kind of area.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2019, 12:28pm; Reply: 2
what about a smaller version ,but targeted on things jolley might need? i.e. he may suggest a piece of equipment that every other club has which would help to improve performance or the club in general. that would make it  a manageable target and there would be something tangible and long lasting (a legacy if you like) at the end
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 7, 2019, 12:30pm; Reply: 3
Maybe too late but I hope to see a promotion mindset in the team and supporters rather than just an acceptance of “top half” as the limit of ambition. If we have a winning mentality, use it to advantage.

Patience is never a virtue in football. Go for the jugular or sink down the leagues. If there is the slightest chance of reaching that last playoff place with a good run then let’s go for it and see where it leads. You never know.
Posted by: realist, February 7, 2019, 12:31pm; Reply: 4
Aye. Lets call it Operation Freeman Street stadium
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 7, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from forza ivano
what about a smaller version ,but targeted on things jolley might need? i.e. he may suggest a piece of equipment that every other club has which would help to improve performance or the club in general. that would make it  a manageable target and there would be something tangible and long lasting (a legacy if you like) at the end

Following on from that, an alternative may be to raise funds to pay for 2/3 pro deals for our YT's with the balance going to the youth team too.
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, February 7, 2019, 1:17pm; Reply: 6
operation playoffs, for next season
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 7, 2019, 1:22pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Nutsy
Is another operation promotion a terrible idea? Didn't know a lot about the last one but it maybe a good idea to launch us and Jolley

Bearing in mind Mr Fentys opinion of the last one, then hell yes, go for it.
Posted by: bedders78, February 7, 2019, 1:26pm; Reply: 8
Operation Safe Standing.  Rail seats at the east end of the Pontoon; removed seats to replace broken ones elsewhere in the ground and the new ones to travel with us to the new ground. Also put a side on the pontoon to direct the noise towards the pitch

Operation 21st Century.  Bring the ticket buying process up to date with proper online seat booking, movable season tickets, print at home, etc.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 7, 2019, 1:28pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from realist
Aye. Lets call it Operation Freeman Street stadium

Can this be a by-product of Operation Time To Go, John?
Posted by: H19P1, February 7, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 10
I've already approached the MT regarding this but due to the club being in a stronger financial position and time required to manage the fund they feel that it's nothing that they see required at this moment in time.

However; they will support/guide anyone willing to set up.

Personally I believe it's a good idea but it needs someone with a bit of time and communicate with the trust to set something up.  
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 7, 2019, 2:00pm; Reply: 11
Thought the floodlights required replacing which JF referred to in his recent interview and I recollect this was going to be quite an expense.  Could this be considered so as any money the club does have can be spent on player salaries?
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, February 7, 2019, 2:16pm; Reply: 12
Can we not raise the £1.95m and pay Fenty off
Posted by: grimsby pete, February 7, 2019, 3:16pm; Reply: 13
It was mentioned the overnight stays for away games cost a lot,

We could fund a few extra nights during the season,

With maybe 2 lucky fans picked out of a hat to go with the squad for one of the games to experience an away match with the club.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 7, 2019, 3:30pm; Reply: 14
But Operation Promotion was the worse thing that ever happened to the club, apparently.

We actually, you know, got promoted - blast it.
Posted by: SomeSanity, February 7, 2019, 3:41pm; Reply: 15
In theory yes, but in reality....

Neither of the key people who worked on the OP are still on the trust board and unless anyone knows any different unlikely to come back. No expertise there to do it.
Posted by: hheh2, February 7, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from forza ivano

A pool table?
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, February 7, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from hheh2

A pool table?

I'm sure I saw one going cheap on ebay recently

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1009374325537984513?lang=en
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2019, 4:06pm; Reply: 18
I think the floodlights idea is excellent.

Its going to need a major financial input to put them right and we need to avoid a further loan from Fenty at all costs.

I appreciate any cash raised would probably be a drop in the ocean of the overall bill but anything we can put towards it would help and its probably the most important item at the moment

Unfortunately I don't see it catching the fans imagination like Op Promotion did (buying players is so much more exciting than rusty old floodlight pylons)

Perhaps it will take a statement that if they are not sorted we will face some sort of penalty to get the cash in (knowing GTFC they will put it off and put it off until one falls down when the pylon eventually rusts through!)
Posted by: denni266, February 7, 2019, 4:14pm; Reply: 19
imo is there any point in us putting money in if a certain someone is going to take it out to reduce loans . :-/
Posted by: Brazilnut, February 7, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 20
Do we need flood lights .....with the massive advances in bulbs in recent years could we no put power full banks off lights on top off each the stands  directed at the pitch ......then if new stadium is built they could be moved there
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2019, 4:21pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Brazilnut
Do we need flood lights .....with the massive advances in bulbs in recent years could we no put power full banks off lights on top off each the stands  directed at the pitch ......then if new stadium is built they could be moved there

Still costs money and by the time we move into a new ground they too will be old and knackered
Posted by: dicko995, February 7, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 22
OperationJolleyLolley, after all, the money is for MJ to get us to that promotion place.   I,ll get me coat   :)
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), February 7, 2019, 4:53pm; Reply: 23
Great idea!! Start now and call it ‘Jolley’s Gold’

For use only by him to use as he sees fit!!
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 1542
Great idea!! Start now and call it ‘Jolley’s Gold’

For use only by him to use as he sees fit!!

Risky, he might use it for his train fare out of town,.

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, February 7, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Brazilnut

That is a good idea isn't it?

All our stands have roofs, there are some lights already on the Findus, so why not extend them around the ground and keep them well maintained for when we move in 20 years...

I suppose the pillars would need demolishing though, which is a job hands on John Fenty might like to tackle himself.
Posted by: Caveman, February 7, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Brazilnut

Blimey ! If you put floodlights on the Main Stand you'd bring it down.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 7, 2019, 7:04pm; Reply: 27
My old work re did the site floodlights but they never bothered clambering right to the top of the towers, instead they installed brighter modern LEDs from only partially/halfway up.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 28

That is a good idea isn't it?

All our stands have roofs, there are some lights already on the Findus, so why not extend them around the ground and keep them well maintained for when we move in 20 years...

I suppose the pillars would need demolishing though, which is a job hands on John Fenty might like to tackle himself.

He has previous experience of demolishing extended structures. Just on a smaller scale. That Newport kid with the flag will attest to that.  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from denni266
imo is there any point in us putting money in if a certain someone is going to take it out to reduce loans . :-/

Which is why ideas like funding new floodlights is a good idea. It's stuff that isn't in the budget.
Posted by: forza ivano, February 7, 2019, 7:41pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Ipswin

Risky, he might use it for his train fare out of town,.

Yeah, but at least it would make you happy ipswin. Then we could get a proper experienced manager. Someone like Neil Aspin maybe?
Posted by: ska face, February 7, 2019, 7:49pm; Reply: 31
Operation Promotion was successful because it sold a dream. Nobody dreams about fixing the shitey old floodlights.

If they want to be fixed, they should sack the ground manager and use his wage to do it given that he’s let them get to this stage.
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from forza ivano

Yeah, but at least it would make you happy ipswin. Then we could get a proper experienced manager. Someone like Neil Aspin maybe?

That was totally unnecessary, I said 'risky' implying I didn't want him to leave

Frankly I don't give a excrement who the manager is so long as we get promoted, its whether Jolley can achieve it that I doubt.

Who the intercourse is Aspin anyway? I don't remember if he was one of the ones I advocated
Posted by: Ipswin, February 7, 2019, 8:05pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from ska face
Operation Promotion was successful because it sold a dream. Nobody dreams about fixing the shitey old floodlights.

That's the problem, no one is going to put their hand in their pocket for anything useful

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2019, 8:06pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ska face

If they want to be fixed, they should sack the ground manager and use his wage to do it given that he’s let them get to this stage.

He could have been knocked back whenever he asked for money to maintain the ground.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 7, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from ska face

PS I wonder what the dream was when the 'new' Pontoon stand was crowd-funded?
Posted by: Rik e B, February 7, 2019, 8:08pm; Reply: 36
Yeah can't see the local population getting into a furore over 'Operation Floodlights'. FA Cup money is all extra, would easily cover.

My old work replaced lower down their towers with 200w LED floods... the old man knows a guy who can install heh heh. Can't cost that bloody much.
Posted by: TAGG, February 7, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 37
Wonder if we could get enough to pay off our non Chairman  ;)
Posted by: OllieGTFC, February 7, 2019, 9:52pm; Reply: 38
What about new PA system ours is terrible
Posted by: denni266, February 7, 2019, 10:24pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from OllieGTFC
What about new PA system ours is terrible

Thats the guy with the mike...lol.. you should hear him sing   ;D
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 7, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 40
In all honesty, after the comments in the 'off piste' interview, I don't think I could support another campaign whilst the club's major shareholder was in situ. In truth, what the fans did was show their loyalty & commitment - something that appears to have been under-estimated.
Posted by: Rick12, February 7, 2019, 11:57pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Nutsy
Not for me.First time around it was a God send due to us being in the conference.Now it doesnt have the same ring due to us being a league club.
Posted by: H19P1, February 8, 2019, 6:51am; Reply: 42
It’s got the potential to work completely different to last time.

There’s been some great ideas on this thread.

These ideas could be listed and sent to the trust for the club to give us indicative costs and priority.

Once we’ve got these figures then we can choose which one to take forward into fundraising.

However I must make it clear that the trust will not solely set up the fundraising this time and it will need a volunteer to be the main go to person with the trusts support.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 8, 2019, 12:00pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from H19P1
It’s got the potential to work completely different to last time.

There’s been some great ideas on this thread.

These ideas could be listed and sent to the trust for the club to give us indicative costs and priority.

Once we’ve got these figures then we can choose which one to take forward into fundraising.

However I must make it clear that the trust will not solely set up the fundraising this time and it will need a volunteer to be the main go to person with the trusts support.

Now where's that lad who did it last time?
Posted by: H19P1, February 8, 2019, 12:25pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don't know but I'm sure someone on here knows him. That'll be the perfect starting point
Posted by: barralad, February 8, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The undoubted mastermind behind the original Operation Promotion was Bax. If that blueprint is repeated then you will need a very strong admin. team as the work was of frightening volume. If I'm honest I would strongly advise not going down that particular type of fundraising...
Posted by: Rik e B, February 8, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 46
Personally I don't really think it's appropriate right now. There's an us and them mentality between the heirachy and the fans right now and it needs us all singing from the same hymn sheet. That the club considered it a pain in the arris last time puts me off for starters, though I'd love to contribute it'd feel better if the club was fan owned, we had a fair say or at least we all pulled together instead of the current dictatorship and 'Shut up' attitude.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, February 8, 2019, 6:22pm; Reply: 47
What about Op Livvo as I don't think the club will pull through.  Contribute what you would be willing to pay to watch Livvo's testimonial and the money goes straight to him.  
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 8, 2019, 6:33pm; Reply: 48
Hyperthetically we did one and it raised £100k, now we're in the league could the club accept it and not infringe FFP rules.
Posted by: rancido, February 9, 2019, 1:03pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from ska face

As far as " shitey old floodlights " is concerned , without them the club can't stage matches - simple as that! It's also got nothing to do with the ground manager. Age and corrosion will always take their toll on metal structures The metal structures are old and , as far as I know , have been condemned for use after the end of this season. They were second hand when we originally got them and I do believe the existing structures date from 1960 . The club maybe eligible for a grant from the FL or FA and it is worth noting that the supporters club paid for their upgrade in 1960.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 9, 2019, 6:10pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from rancido

As far as " shitey old floodlights " is concerned , without them the club can't stage matches - simple as that! It's also got nothing to do with the ground manager. Age and corrosion will always take their toll on metal structures The metal structures are old and , as far as I know , have been condemned for use after the end of this season. They were second hand when we originally got them and I do believe the existing structures date from 1960 . The club maybe eligible for a grant from the FL or FA and it is worth noting that the supporters club paid for their upgrade in 1960.

Very good point. If expressed as a stark choice between raising the money/cutting the playing budget/groundsharing with Scunny I reckon people will cough up. Unless the magic money tree fairy bestows her blessings upon us and says we get El Stadio de Freemo in 2 years.
Posted by: LH, February 9, 2019, 9:25pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from rancido

So why hasn’t the ground manager recommended that they were changed before they got to the stage that they’ll be condemned in six months time?
Posted by: Civvy at last, February 9, 2019, 9:29pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from LH

So why hasn’t the ground manager recommended that they were changed before they got to the stage that they’ll be condemned in six months time?

Because he is right up Fentys @rse and daren’t suggest spending money until it is imperative.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 9, 2019, 9:49pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from LH

I suppose they only want to spend the bare minimum on BP, as very soon we will be in the new shiny Fentydome, Extreme are just putting the finishing touches prior to building works to start.
Posted by: H19P1, February 10, 2019, 7:13am; Reply: 54
Quoted from Gaffer58

I suppose they only want to spend the bare minimum on BP, as very soon we will be in the new shiny Fentydome, Extreme are just putting the finishing touches prior to building works to start.

I wish that this was the case ☹
Posted by: scrumble, February 10, 2019, 7:42am; Reply: 55
Quoted from LH

How do you know he hasn't?
Posted by: LH, February 10, 2019, 10:30am; Reply: 56
Quoted from scrumble

How do you know he hasn't?

I don’t but the suggestion was that the structural integrity of the floodlights has nothing to do with stadium manager. It quite obviously does have something to do with him otherwise we’re relying on being tipped off by fans or structural engineers passing the ground on the train that the floodlights look to be damaged beyond repair.
Posted by: ska face, February 10, 2019, 10:37am; Reply: 57
Quoted from rancido

As far as " shitey old floodlights " is concerned , without them the club can't stage matches - simple as that! .

We can’t stage matches without a pitch either, but I’m loathe to ask fans to dip into their pockets for grass seed because some fuccker is already paid to look after that. What does everyone’s ticket money pay for if not the absolute basics to get a football club functioning?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 10, 2019, 10:40am; Reply: 58
Quoted from Brazilnut

Mr Fenty is ringing around the country's scrap yards for a couple of hundred Vauxhall Viva headlights as we speak   8)

Posted by: dicko995, February 11, 2019, 9:57am; Reply: 59
I would rather see an OperationDennis, we did it for Joe Waters many years ago, and if KD sticks them in the back of the net for us, I reckon he will be a firm favourite of ours. It would be great to see Wes and Kristian kept here for next season, so, what do you reckon forum peeps??
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 11, 2019, 10:37pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from dicko995
I would rather see an OperationDennis, we did it for Joe Waters many years ago, and if KD sticks them in the back of the net for us, I reckon he will be a firm favourite of ours. It would be great to see Wes and Kristian kept here for next season, so, what do you reckon forum peeps??

As an idea it's got a good pedigree. Joe Waters. Ivano Bonnetti. Omar Bogle.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 11, 2019, 10:46pm; Reply: 61
I like that Dicko, opening our pockets for a marquee signing/striker to boost the squad. OP basically got us Bogle - but the insiders didn't like the pressure or expectation of the 'Promotion' tag.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 2:13pm