Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Tommy, February 4, 2019, 10:40pm
10,000 minutes played so far this season by GTFC players 23 or under.

https://twitter.com/TheNinetyTwo_/status/1092525243200086017?s=19

Highlights the kind of squad MJ is building.
Posted by: WesternMariner, February 4, 2019, 10:58pm; Reply: 1
Interesting post. Position suggests a blend of youth and experience which is exactly what we have in the squad.

Also interesting to see some of the other league 2 sides - Gimps very low because they’re chucking money at players the Cowley’s see as finished articles. FGR surprisingly high. I don’t take much notice of their squad but I’d have expected them to be near to Lincoln as a moneybags “vegan sugar daddy” side.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 4, 2019, 11:02pm; Reply: 2

Interesting that Saturdays opponents Yeovil that are clear top of that list are struggling for their league survival.
Posted by: Mariner_09, February 5, 2019, 12:13am; Reply: 3
Too much youth can also be damaging. It brings no leadership, can produce naivety and a lack of nous, therefore you end up with panic and rushed thinking. Sometimes an over-eagerness to impress can also hurt you. It’s a balancing act, you need “old heads” to guide and lead the youngsters, that’s why I wouldn’t be so hasty to dispense with DC and Wooly as some are.
Posted by: HistonMariner, February 5, 2019, 7:48am; Reply: 4
Agreed.
We know Alan Hanson was wrong on ‘that occasion’  but generally he was right.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 5, 2019, 9:02am; Reply: 5
Definitely about the balance.  Slade was the other extreme and had too much experience and not enough energy from younger players.  

Jolley seems to be striking that right balance by using the likes of Collins, Woolford, Thomas etc. as old heads for the younger lads to learn from.  As time goes on the likes of Clifton, RHJ, Vernam will  gain more experience and can hopefully help the likes of Pollock, Rose and many others progress.
Print page generated: May 6, 2024, 9:20pm