Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Hagrid, February 2, 2019, 5:13pm
Really good performance! Thought we played some lovely football against a poor direct newport side. Ohman and collins really solid, and my MOM Hall Johnson & hendrie linked up superbly down the right. Hessentalher has been excellent for weeks and kept that up today alongside Woolford who was another who has excellent,’ i really like him in centre mid, some lovely balls he was playing including the cross for the 3rd. Pleased for cook, good signs as the 3-5-2 seemed to really work today, wonder if newport had one eye on the cup as they looked poor. But can only beat whats in front of you. Jamille Matt was as crap as he was for town and how he has scored 13 goals i dont know. But pleased town fan tonight, a cold one but a happy one UTFM
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 2, 2019, 5:20pm; Reply: 1

Great performance all round and hard to pick a player out for MOTM........ so because of some of the stick he has had on here in the past I'm going for Woolford.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, February 2, 2019, 5:20pm; Reply: 2
All good, great improvement in Seb Ring, Wooly outstanding.
Posted by: Gaffer58, February 2, 2019, 5:21pm; Reply: 3
How good has Hess been the last few games, mr consistency, now to get sat in front of the fire to thaw out and whatch England v Ireland.
Posted by: Meza, February 2, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 4
Not sure who that GTFC fan was who said we played poorly and against better teams would get thrashed lol. Heard it on the radio and I thought really!! We won and by 3 goals.  I don't like being critical especially when we win.
Posted by: toontown, February 2, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 5
Thought we were very comfortable today, some lovely approach play but our final ball was often lacking. Deserved comfortable win.
Have to disagree about Matt I thought he put himself about a bit and used his size and strength better than when he played for town. He also stayed on his feet whereas he looked like bambi on ice for town.
Thought Thomas didn't have the best of games, but cook had a cracking game with plenty of movement and interlinking play and 2 goals too. Maybe Dennis will get longer next week. Great to see harry back and I think as he develops as a player the attacking midfielder role might be one for him, he has the vision its if his passing improves sufficiently to make those killer balls that he spots the opportunities for. Best defensive performances with 3-5-2 as well probably.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 6
Ladies and Gents, we have a football team. First time for a long time that we have a cohesive unit that looks strong in all departments and a strong looking bench now too. I'm not sure Newport were up for the fight and there seemed to be a bit of argey bargey at the end with their supporters and management?

Thought RHJ was a revelation in his centre back cum right wing role, and showed that 5-3-2 in not necessarily a defensive set up if you get it right. We are now starting to see what the Jolley plan is and we a have a 15 game warm up for next season coming up. We look very strong at the back and repelled every corner, cross and long throw they chucked at us. We look happy to sit and back await our chance to break up the pitch. Our midfield is working well now and today we got behind them on numerous occasion with overlaps. Jordan Cook was superb and deserved his MOM award. Can only see this team getting better as they play more together, and i think we will finish in the top half comfortably.
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, February 2, 2019, 6:05pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Meza
Not sure who that GTFC fan was who said we played poorly and against better teams would get thrashed lol. Heard it on the radio and I thought really!! We won and by 3 goals.  I don't like being critical especially when we win.

Text by Horncastle Mariner, I could not believe it either
Posted by: hampshiremariner, February 2, 2019, 6:09pm; Reply: 8
Brilliant win. Thanks for comments on the match. Appreciated from a distance.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), February 2, 2019, 6:17pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Rob_in_Grimsby

Text by Horncastle Mariner, I could not believe it either

Someone not at the game. Yes unbelievable.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, February 2, 2019, 6:19pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from ginnywings
Ladies and Gents, we have a football team. First time for a long time that we have a cohesive unit that looks strong in all departments and a strong looking bench now too. I'm not sure Newport were up for the fight and there seemed to be a bit of argey bargey at the end with their supporters and management?

Thought RHJ was a revelation in his centre back cum right wing role, and showed that 5-3-2 in not necessarily a defensive set up if you get it right. We are now starting to see what the Jolley plan is and we a have a 15 game warm up for next season coming up. We look very strong at the back and repelled every corner, cross and long throw they chucked at us. We look happy to sit and back await our chance to break up the pitch. Our midfield is working well now and today we got behind them on numerous occasion with overlaps. Jordan Cook was superb and deserved his MOM award. Can only see this team getting better as they play more together, and i think we will finish in the top half comfortably.

Agree with that Ginny, that is the first half of the plan sorted for 3-5-2. Now we need to get it worked on to make sure it does not become 8-0-2 away from home and we use possession well on the break. The squad looks strong and there are good alternatives to cover injury/suspension/form. Midfield looks better all the time especially with Clifton's runs forward. Even without the ball he creates danger with that. In the long run I think Öhman will be the key signing. With a good GK and CB you are halfway to a clean sheet.

As for Newport, much as I like Amond I thought they were lucky in the cup and they have had some horrible results in the league this season. Not as good as they think they are.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 2, 2019, 6:25pm; Reply: 11

Agree with that Ginny, that is the first half of the plan sorted for 3-5-2. Now we need to get it worked on to make sure it does not become 8-0-2 away from home and we use possession well on the break. The squad looks strong and there are good alternatives to cover injury/suspension/form. Midfield looks better all the time especially with Clifton's runs forward. Even without the ball he creates danger with that. In the long run I think Öhman will be the key signing. With a good GK and CB you are halfway to a clean sheet.

As for Newport, much as I like Amond I thought they were lucky in the cup and they have had some horrible results in the league this season. Not as good as they think they are.

Anyone notice a couple of his accurate dinks behind defence? Perfectly weighted.

Surprised he never came off as he signalled to come off as soon as that fantastic diving header was saved. Wasn't the same player after that either.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2019, 6:26pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Anyone notice a couple of his accurate dinks behind defence? Perfectly weighted.

Surprised he never came off as he signalled to come off as soon as that fantastic diving header was saved. Wasn't the same player after that either.

He was signalling for a new boot, not to come off.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, February 2, 2019, 6:42pm; Reply: 13
Really enjoyed the game after the first ten minutes we were excellent. Some of the passing and movement was great, loved the way the players comfortably shifted positions and gave each other options.
We really have the beginnings of a team and it’s great that we expect a few of the players to be here long term. Need to tie Wes and Hess down.

A word for Jordan Cook who has struggled. He was excellent allround and deserved his goals.  
Posted by: golfer, February 2, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 14
Well played TEAM. One of the first times we have played as a team. A few intricate moves showed what we have been doing in training.  Well done the officials as well  Newport weren't that bad but we showed them. Things are at last taking shape.
Posted by: quebec38, February 2, 2019, 7:10pm; Reply: 15
Good performance today and some good football played as well. RHJ drifting in and out of the back 3 was great, was like we had an extra player. Newport didn't look up for it at all today, particularly Labadie  who will usually boss the midfield. Only thing he bossed today was Hendrie's cheek when he elbowed him which the ref saw and blew the whistle then didn't issue a card... Ha oh you have to laugh. Contrary to the op I think Matt was actually alright. I do have a slight soft spot for him after Notts C last season though.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 2, 2019, 7:18pm; Reply: 16
Last home game Macclesfield, so massive improvement today.  Excellent team performance (or even squad performance).

We have as many points in Feb/Mar as we got last season, with a much better GD.

We should do very well next season.  

Great to listen to Radio Leeds on the way home as they try to explain away a 3-0 home thrashing by Norwich.  And lose top spot.
Posted by: Spatchcock, February 2, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 17
Fantastic win today. Really enjoyed how we played the ball in midfield with the players over lapping. Newport found it hard to mark any of our players wh3n we did this and were literally ran ragged. Very impressed with Cook, covered so much ground and fully deserved his two goals. A very good performance with hopefully more to come UTM
Posted by: kamakazebear, February 2, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 18
Ohman's header was ridiculous. I might be remembering it wrong but I swear he was on the ground when he stuck his head through it with the force of a nuclear weapon. If it had been aimed a bit to the side, would have been in the back of the net. Nice to see Whitmore's header as well which was only kept out after a brilliant save.

Feels weird being able to be positive.
Posted by: denni266, February 2, 2019, 7:22pm; Reply: 19
Thought it was a good game won at a canter realy, Some nice control by our players , not the usuall first touch and chase it.  was bloody col up in the findus with the wind in our faces, hope it was better down on the pitch
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 2, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Really enjoyed the game after the first ten minutes we were excellent. Some of the passing and movement was great, loved the way the players comfortably shifted positions and gave each other options.
We really have the beginnings of a team and it’s great that we expect a few of the players to be here long term. Need to tie Wes and Hess down.

A word for Jordan Cook who has struggled. He was excellent allround and deserved his goals.  

I'm sure Hess is contacted for next season already.
Posted by: chaos33, February 2, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 21
Did Amond get a good reception, and how did Dennis do when he came on?
Posted by: moosey_club, February 2, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 22
Thought every single one of the 14 involved today were on their game, couldnt pick fault with any individual.

Whitmore as a sub came on, got his head on stuff  in both boxes and only denied a goal by a flying save from the keeper , just as Newport were starting to lump it up more more and more, really impressed with his cameo and the decision to bring him on at that time.

Some lovely neat 5-6 yd triangles between Embleton, Cook, Hendrie in the first half...a Tony Rees style back heel from Clifton to get Woolford in for the third goal....and apart from a few isolated incidents we were always looking to feet.

High press, ratty style midfielders nipping at the heels , balls to feet in possession = very enjoyable to watch.

Dennis showed some intelligent touches and off the ball movement in his 10 minutes and was ready to tap in that third if the defender hadnt beat him to it. He looked proper peeed off about that which shows what a goalscorer mentality he has.

UTM

Posted by: moosey_club, February 2, 2019, 7:32pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from chaos33

Applause all round when he came on.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, February 2, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 24
Firstly sorry Hagrid disagree about Matt who put himself about more and won more headers than he ever did for town, looked half decent today.

Secondly, praise to Russell for that early save which given our slow start was very important. After that credit to all players as we played some excellent football at times and created some really good attacking positions and if we had taken advantage of these score would have been higher.

Defence was excellent dealing with the long ball, aerial threat that the Newport bombardment posed and again Whitmore’s cameo was really important and well timed.

Surprised when Embleton got withdrawn but who cares.

Similarity with AB’s first season increase as the style of play starts to emerge and look promising.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 2, 2019, 7:48pm; Reply: 25
Thought we were excellent today. Jolley has got the players brilliantly organised, particularly defensively. Everybody is clear what their jobs are. When we break, we overload teams and I thought Hessenthaler was superb today. Along with Ohman, Collins, RHJ, to be fair it's hard to pick anyone who didn't have an 8/10 at least. The players clearly have a strong work ethic to go with the organisation and it's great to see.

People seem to think we can finish in the top half, while that would be progress we're only ten points from the play offs and we have a decent run of games coming up. Why not target those play off places?
Posted by: hheh2, February 2, 2019, 8:47pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from chaos33

Amond got an applause from everyone he stayed professional though.

Dennis came on for last 15 minutes for Thomas, he is a definite poacher reminds me of an Amond but with a bit more pace. He would have scored a tap in but the Newport player scored instead. His positioning and intensity fits perfectly with the team he is going to score some for sure, good sub to bring on tbh.
Posted by: ginnywings, February 2, 2019, 8:59pm; Reply: 27
Dennis did a lovely first time lay off to the wing. Only a small thing but showed he has a sharp football brain. He was buzzing around the defenders looking for an opportunity constantly. He's seen us score 7 goals in 2 games at BP this season and i bet he can't wait to get amongst it all. Bet he was licking his lips at some of the crosses and chances created today. Probably more than he's seen in half a dozen games for County.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 2, 2019, 9:44pm; Reply: 28
Good performance from Town and overall a decent game if you where a neutral.

MJ got the selection right, a selection that gave us energy, fluidity and improved movement. We passed the ball better and looked unrecognisable in comparison to the Town team of 12 months ago and arguably 12 weeks ago.

Thought RHJ on the right of a back 3 gave us an extra dimension and Newport couldn’t live with us down the right hand side as both Hendrie and RHJ worked well in tandem.

Lots of talk about 3-5-2 but today we executed it really well and as well as allowing full backs to press on it allowed Embleton and Woolly backed up by Mr Consistent Hess to run the game and pull the strings behind Cook & Thomas.

Today all the lads played well and deserve the plaudits as does the manager.

One thing that struck me was that even during a game MJ is building. He replaced Embleton which at first I didn’t get. Clifton played in the same role and did really well which was great to see as next season or if he’s on England duty this Spring we won’t have Embleton, very clever. Additionally he took off RHJ and brought on Whitmore just in case Newport “did a Lincoln” and tried to hoof it up to the big lad to try and get back into the game.

So a good day at the office, still work in progress but progressing well.

UTM!
Posted by: PB, February 2, 2019, 10:57pm; Reply: 29
Only one other thing to add - I thought that Russell did really well again today,  with another clean sheet too.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 2, 2019, 11:01pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from PB
Only one other thing to add - I thought that Russell did really well again today,  with another clean sheet too.

He does not thing better than macca, he moves and delivers the ball quicker and better, he has a flat kick out of his hands which gives him a more precise kick...if Macca can learn that, he'd be a better keeper than he already is .
As for today, brilliant display by everyone on and off the pitch, pontoon was bouncing and loud!!  
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, February 2, 2019, 11:01pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

He does one thing better than macca, he moves and delivers the ball quicker and better, he has a flat kick out of his hands which gives him a more precise kick...if Macca can learn that, he'd be a better keeper than he already is .
As for today, brilliant display by everyone on and off the pitch, pontoon was bouncing and loud!!  

Posted by: Davec, February 3, 2019, 8:52am; Reply: 32
Maybe RHJ should be converted into a centre back after today? Seeing as so we'll clearly play 3-5-2 for the forseeable future, RHJ showed today that he's clearly capable of playing that role.
Posted by: golfer, February 3, 2019, 9:54am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Davec
Maybe RHJ should be converted into a centre back after today? Seeing as so we'll clearly play 3-5-2 for the forseeable future, RHJ showed today that he's clearly capable of playing that role.

A very underestimated player-very versatile -noticed he was well up with the attack on several occasions and then in the thick of the action at the other end
Posted by: rancido, February 3, 2019, 10:02am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Davec

Why " convert " him ? Just use him in the roles that suit him best as regards the opposition and the formation that is utilised. Why " pigeon hole " him into a specific role. Flexibility is the key when you have a smallish squad.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), February 3, 2019, 10:32am; Reply: 35
Reece Hall-Johnson fitted well into the role of attacking center back.
Posted by: Rik e B, February 3, 2019, 12:26pm; Reply: 36
The way he doubled up with Hendrie was excellent, making us appear to have an extra man in some instances. A very useful and tricky for opposition option. Then when expecting more of a bombardment we have the likes of Whitmore for a more no-nonsense brutish defence.

All in all an excellent performance all round and thoroughly enjoyable. The greatest thing for me was to see the 3-5-2 and how it has clearly been worked on the training field actually coming up trumps after being vilified somewhat by sections (myself included) when attempted without having quite the right personell.

Also good to see Ring clearly not the duff signing some where quick to (and unfairly) consider he might be. A bit more fitness built up and he'll be true quality. Ohman is already a beast - slotted straight into the English game with Lever-esque defensive stalwartness but also an abilty to play the ball out a bit more too. Dennis pesky fox in the box - great news, once we have a target man option in time that would be an excellent array of striking options coupled with what we already have.

The re-emmergence of Cook seems like a fresh January signing too in a way! Very intelligent bustly player.
Posted by: moosey_club, February 3, 2019, 12:29pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Rik e B
The way he doubled up with Hendrix was excellent, making us appear to have an extra man in some instances. A very useful and tricky for opposition option. Then when expecting more of a bombardment we have the likes of Whitmore for a more no-nonsense brutish defence.

yes that was an experience, created their own little wing movement and had the Newport players in a haze.

post edit - haha...not quite quick enough with your typo
Posted by: Rik e B, February 3, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 38
Fishy-folk never miss a trick 😬😅... predictive text shenanigans; but Newport were certainly in a Purple Haze over that dilemma 😜
Posted by: acko338, February 3, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 39
M J seems to have found players who have now slotted into interchangable playing positions.

Playing st ground level again and intelligent play from the back going forwards.

This all now makes sense of 3 5 2 with the right players showing good understanding of the system required.

Looking forward now to see how far the current squad can take it to the season end.

Many fans wanting to go and see the team play - nothing won yet except getting a "for now" feel good factor.

M J AND team look to be heading in the right direction !
Posted by: rancido, February 3, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from 3172[b
]M J seems to have found players who have now slotted into interchangable playing positions.
[/b]
Playing st ground level again and intelligent play from the back going forwards.

This all now makes sense of 3 5 2 with the right players showing good understanding of the system required.

Looking forward now to see how far the current squad can take it to the season end.

Many fans wanting to go and see the team play - nothing won yet except getting a "for now" feel good factor.

M J AND team look to be heading in the right direction !

That's the point I was trying to make earlier. Why pin Hall-Johnson down to the position of centre back when he can play that role, wing back, orthodox right back and attacking centre back in a back three. versatility is the key to success with a small squad.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, February 3, 2019, 8:28pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Rik e B
The way he doubled up with Hendrie was excellent, making us appear to have an extra man in some instances. A very useful and tricky for opposition option. Then when expecting more of a bombardment we have the likes of Whitmore for a more no-nonsense brutish defence.

All in all an excellent performance all round and thoroughly enjoyable. The greatest thing for me was to see the 3-5-2 and how it has clearly been worked on the training field actually coming up trumps after being vilified somewhat by sections (myself included) when attempted without having quite the right personell.

Also good to see Ring clearly not the duff signing some where quick to (and unfairly) consider he might be. A bit more fitness built up and he'll be true quality. Ohman is already a beast - slotted straight into the English game with Lever-esque defensive stalwartness but also an abilty to play the ball out a bit more too. Dennis pesky fox in the box - great news, once we have a target man option in time that would be an excellent array of striking options coupled with what we already have.

The re-emmergence of Cook seems like a fresh January signing too in a way! Very intelligent bustly player.

Our dominance on the RHS alongside Embleton, Woolford and Clifton pulling the strings behind the strikers was more than Newport could deal with.

I think all 3 goals where a good illustration of how MJ wants us to play.

Get the ball down pass it to someone running into space the rest will ultimately look after itself.

It’s a shame the 3rd was an OG as it would have been a great end to a really smart move.
Posted by: acko338, February 3, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 42
I think that Kristian Denniss could easily have 10 goals in a Town shirt by season end - good find as a poacher/striker !!
Posted by: friskneymariner, February 3, 2019, 10:23pm; Reply: 43
Noticed in last couple of games,very few off-sides against us.
Posted by: bedders78, February 4, 2019, 9:56am; Reply: 44
Still buzzing from the performance a couple of days later.  Seems daft to single players out from such a good, all round performance, but RHJ shaded man of the match for me - his judgement of when he was able to get up the pitch and join an attack was spot on and showed he has a considerable footballing brain to go with his more obvious physical attributes. I hope he can keep his place in the team even with Whitmore and Davis available, as the NC left back will be having nightmares about him and Hendrie for next few weeks.

Ring had a quietly effective game on the other flank, never seemed in trouble defensively and starting to offer more going forward. Can someone please show him how to take a throw in though!
Posted by: jamesgtfc, February 4, 2019, 10:41am; Reply: 45
Quoted from bedders78
Still buzzing from the performance a couple of days later.  Seems daft to single players out from such a good, all round performance, but RHJ shaded man of the match for me - his judgement of when he was able to get up the pitch and join an attack was spot on and showed he has a considerable footballing brain to go with his more obvious physical attributes. I hope he can keep his place in the team even with Whitmore and Davis available, as the NC left back will be having nightmares about him and Hendrie for next few weeks.

Ring had a quietly effective game on the other flank, never seemed in trouble defensively and starting to offer more going forward. Can someone please show him how to take a throw in though!

Where is Mitch when you need him?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, February 4, 2019, 11:30am; Reply: 46
Watched City v Arsenal, and they was saying how Fernandinho is a CB when they don't have possession, but quickly turns into a midfielder when they do.

I wonder if MJ is doing something similar with RHJ?

Also, big shout to Russel, stepped up when asked, professional, and done nothing wrong.
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 4, 2019, 12:08pm; Reply: 47
Very pleasing and encouraging performance.

The meltdown about 3-5-2 seems to have stopped a bit and justifiably so too.  The system has balance to it now and with the right people in the right positions.  In my opinion the following are essential for the system moving forward.

We've got to keep grounded.  We've had two good results and performances after a bad month, which followed an excellent month before that.  It's a work in progress but we're taking more steps forward than we are back.  It's still all geared up to next season, but if we can get a degree of consistency in our results there's no reason we can't pressure the play-off places which will be good for experience if nothing else.  
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:28am