Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, January 29, 2019, 5:07pm
Mitch Rose's contract cancelled. Bizarre.
Posted by: Mikoo, January 29, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 1
Contract cancelled by mutual consent and gone to County
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, January 29, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 2
signed for notts county
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 29, 2019, 5:07pm; Reply: 3
Thanks for all the penalties Mitch!
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, January 29, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 4
signed for notts county
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, January 29, 2019, 5:08pm; Reply: 5
Signs for Notts Co
Posted by: VinnyGTFC, January 29, 2019, 5:09pm; Reply: 6
Interesting to see Mitch Rose has been allowed to go to Notts County. Not his biggest fan but that is an interesting one at this stage of the season. I do however wish him all the best. A good honest pro.
Posted by: davmariner, January 29, 2019, 5:11pm; Reply: 7
Wasn’t good enough I’m afraid. Though took a good penalty.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 29, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 8
A little bit shocked. Didn’t see that one coming

Gave us a few great moments to savour with his pens but we must have something else in mind to let him go

Good luck to him but we move on...

UTM
Posted by: acko338, January 29, 2019, 5:12pm; Reply: 9
The pen tamer goes !

Are we covered or will there be incomings ?

Famewo gone back as well so will players come in ready for 3 5 2 to the season end ??
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 29, 2019, 5:13pm; Reply: 10

Someone needs to merge a few threads   8)  
Posted by: RoboCod, January 29, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 11
Bit of a surprise, but did seem to be required less and less as the team finds its feet. Frees up a shirt and a wage but we'll never forget those cool-as-cucumber Pens Mitch!
Posted by: RichMariner, January 29, 2019, 5:14pm; Reply: 12
Interesting how it's reported as 'contract terminated' rather than 'agreed to move to Notts County on a free transfer'.
Posted by: rancido, January 29, 2019, 5:16pm; Reply: 13
IMO I think the way that Clifton has developed so quickly plus how Hess has started to really impress has lead MJ to assess how much he really needs Mitch. Good luck to him but I can't see him helping County avoid relegation.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 29, 2019, 5:16pm; Reply: 14
Surprised. Best penalty taker ive ever seen for Town. Was a bit hit and miss and probably suffered from the emergence of Clifton but he still played fairly regularly.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 29, 2019, 5:17pm; Reply: 15
the fact that his 3 latest employers have all been teams that were adrift and sinking at the bottom of div 2 probably tells you what you need to know about his true level

never let us down and i will always be very thankful for his throw ins and penalties which were a huge reason we stayed up.

again it's a case of jolley freeing up the players who did him proud to stay up, but need to go if we are to progress.

good luck Mitch and thanks
Posted by: RoboCod, January 29, 2019, 5:19pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from RichMariner
Interesting how it's reported as 'contract terminated' rather than 'agreed to move to Notts County on a free transfer'.

Been reported as ".. negotiating a termination of his contract in order to join the Magpies on a free transfer"
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, January 29, 2019, 5:22pm; Reply: 17
Both a Surprise and not at the same time. He was a good back up, but always seemed to have one of those moments in every game and it often cost us. We must have someone lined up to come in as Welsh isn't good enough except for a 10 minute caneo off the bench (he's just too slow to keep up with the pace of the game) unfortunately annd that would just leave Wooly as back up.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 29, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 18
Straight out of left field never expected that one.

Maybe Jolley's fitness training was too much for him he never looked at ease defending to be fair although he did a superb job on Zaha.

Terminated contract sounds a bit harsh though.

Notts County Hmm that is a challenge.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 29, 2019, 5:24pm; Reply: 19
Dont quite see why we would let him go now unless we deffo have a quality player lined up that we didn't have the budget for. Would rather have seen Welsh off down the road.
Posted by: scott_gtfc_89, January 29, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 20
County manager said M.J. needs to free up some money to do Buisness he needs to do, with Mitch out on contract end of season I guess it’s best for all parties and M.J. can use his wages to bring in a player.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 29, 2019, 5:25pm; Reply: 21
Good luck to the lad, signed an 18 month contract, wonder if he was told we wouldn't be renewing his contract in the summer so he had to take an offer that came his way from another team.. just surprised we didn't try to get a small transfer fee if county wanted him .
Posted by: norfuk mariner, January 29, 2019, 5:27pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Surprised. Best penalty taker ive ever seen for Town. Was a bit hit and miss and probably suffered from the emergence of Clifton but he still played fairly regularly.

Won't beat Ron Cockerill .
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 29, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 23
Surprised but pleased. Taking penalties don’t make you a good player and Rose was poor more often than he was good. Freeing up wages for incoming players is a good thing.
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 29, 2019, 5:30pm; Reply: 24
Assett stripping as we do every Jan . Getting boring now tbh
Posted by: pontoonlew, January 29, 2019, 5:32pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from fleabag1970

Which part of Mitch Rose would you say is an asset?
Posted by: rancido, January 29, 2019, 5:33pm; Reply: 26
[quote=3595]Assett stripping as we do every Jan . Getting boring now tbh[/quote]

A bit like your negative post! I would hardly call letting a very average player go as " asset stripping".
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 29, 2019, 5:34pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from fleabag1970

Look up the word ‘asset’ - this is potentially good business and I trust Jolley more than you!

Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 29, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 28
Good deal all round I would say.. we release some budget to be used elsewhere.. Notts have a decent player in a relegation battle and Rose gets an 18 month deal.. good luck to him.. thanks for the pens
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, January 29, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 29
Has he gone? I feel like theres not enough threads about it
Posted by: H19P1, January 29, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 30
Has he gone? I feel like theres not enough threads about it

You need threading
Posted by: horsforthmariner, January 29, 2019, 5:39pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from norfuk mariner

I can just about remember John Cockerill, bit before my time!
Posted by: coddy60, January 29, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 32
Hardly surprising, I told you all on Dec 28th 🙄
Posted by: Grimbiggs, January 29, 2019, 5:45pm; Reply: 33
Great penalty taker, but offered little else, often got caught dwelling on the ball, sidewards/ backwards passing, and the emergence of the midfield trio of Embleton, Clifton and Hess, meant regular starts would have been very limited. Frees up another wage, and if we are to move forward we need to be positive and unlike Sladey get rid of the dead wood. Good luck to him though, and thanks for saving us from certain relegation with those penalties. UTM
Posted by: ginnywings, January 29, 2019, 5:51pm; Reply: 34
Got to be an incoming player or two now. Mitch has helped save both Newport and us from almost certain relegation, and i thank him greatly for that and wish him well. Notts need players like him right now, and i actually thought he was a better player than some give him credit, but he also had plenty of games when he didn't look that good, so the usual inconsistency that a lot of players have at this level.

Good luck to him.
Posted by: devs, January 29, 2019, 5:53pm; Reply: 35
Good news IMO
Nothing against Rose but he's not what we want/need if have aspirations to challenge next season
Well covered in midfield, including a couple of defenders who can play defensive midfield
Famewo going will also free up cash - I really rate him even though we haven't seen too ,uch...but he was excellent at MK Dons and I can see why he's highly rated

This will all free up the 4k a week we need for Rhead...

I would guess that there is something in the pipeline - and it might depend on about 4/5 moves behind the scenes...it's always frantic getting everything to align
Posted by: Croxton, January 29, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Dont quite see why we would let him go now unless we deffo have a quality player lined up that we didn't have the budget for. Would rather have seen Welsh off down the road.

Too expensive to cancel his contract unless he had not settled for some reason. Perhaps Mitch has smelt the coffee and taken his own initiative?
Posted by: buckstown, January 29, 2019, 5:55pm; Reply: 37
Famewo and Mitch going is making my neck hairs a little bit erect. Hope MJ and JSF are preparing to push the boat out
Posted by: Sussexmariner, January 29, 2019, 5:59pm; Reply: 38
I think in this case everyone is a winner.

Mitch Rose Clearly wasn’t in MJ’s long-term plans and his contract would’ve finished at the end of this season and he would’ve been able to walk away. Notts County have offered him a 18 month contract And rather than town pay for his wages until the end of his contract they’ve allowed him to go, freeing up the money hopefully for a better player.  

Like most people here I thought he was a good honest player and just imagine the pressure he was under taking those penalties to make sure that our club stayed in the league!  I know somebody that knows him off the pitch  and by all accounts he is a very likeable and  approachable guy so good luck to him.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 29, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 39
Thanks for the expert pens and good luck. I think we have better and would also expect a signing to be coming in. He gets another 12 months employment out of it so good for him.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 29, 2019, 6:02pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from davmariner
Wasn’t good enough I’m afraid. Though took a good penalty.

My thoughts exactly, slowed the game down too much for me but good luck to the guy and thanks for the penalties and throw ins.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 29, 2019, 6:41pm; Reply: 41

Now he good take a good penalty.
Posted by: MeanwoodMariner, January 29, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 42
I always liked him but with the rapid development of Harry Clifton, Hess really starting to settle in, and Whitehouse to hopefully be fit for next season, Mitch was unlikely to get a new deal here. I wish him nothing but the best of luck.
Posted by: Ipswin, January 29, 2019, 6:52pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from rancido
[quote=3595]Assett stripping as we do every Jan . Getting boring now tbh[/quote]

A bit like your negative post! I would hardly call letting a very average player go as " asset stripping".

If he let all the 'very average players' go there wouldn't be enough to put out a team FFS. There are a lot more average than Rose. Be great if he could keep County up with a few pens. One against us on the last day to avoid relegation would be ironic.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 29, 2019, 6:54pm; Reply: 44
Will always remember him for those penalties and that throw-in which led to a penalty. Saved our bacon in the end. So best of luck to Mitch (hopefully not against us in the Notts match)
Posted by: wiggers, January 29, 2019, 6:56pm; Reply: 45
Must be in the minority but I really liked his effort and actually thought he should be in the team more often. I wish him all the best and hope his means some new signings are imminent.
Posted by: LH, January 29, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 46
Will be remembered as a penalty king but very much replaceable. I don’t know much about football coaching but surely taking penalties is one of the easier aspects of the game to coach?
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 29, 2019, 7:07pm; Reply: 47
I liked him. Thought he added some muscle....but had a bad game against Macclesfield. If you say to the manager play me or let me go.....
Posted by: Garth, January 29, 2019, 7:08pm; Reply: 48

You don't need to crow about it, me old member
Posted by: Posh Harry, January 29, 2019, 7:11pm; Reply: 49
Most (particularly Ginny and Forza) have summed Rose up pretty well I think.

Inconsistent but could be superb on his day (best player by a country mile away to Wycombe last season for example).

To be at his best I think he needs to play week in week out to get his rhythm and I don’t think he is good enough to do that and clearly MJ doesn’t see him as that option.

Wish him all the best for the future.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 29, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 50
One further comment.he was the one player who improved massively unde r jolley s regime
Posted by: fishboyUTM, January 29, 2019, 7:24pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Chrisblor
Thanks for all the penalties Mitch!

Absolutely, he is cool under pressure and I'm grateful for his penalties. He tried, but his passing is awful, particularly when he tries to pass it forwards. I've lost count of the amount of times his forward passes are into nobody at all. He makes tackles from awkward angles due to his poor starting position. He can't head the ball. He's the weakest link at the moment in the squad and he'll make room for a better player no doubt.
Posted by: wigworld, January 29, 2019, 7:27pm; Reply: 52
He's a mid-table league 2 player, at best. Abdolutely fine if that's the height of our ambition, but we need better to move forward.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 29, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 53

Or Johnny Scott.

And Joe Waters was pretty good too.

Posted by: Bigdog, January 29, 2019, 8:04pm; Reply: 54
I think we can only assess whether Rose leaving is good for squad strength when we assess how good his replacement his. He seemed to be a player that needs to be playing every week to get the best out him and seem to remember he had a spell last season when everyone thought he was man of the match for a string of games. He hasn't been the same since being out of the side for lengthy spells this season, and even though Hess, Clifton and Embleton have all deservedly started ahead of him, we still haven't been dominating games, or maybe it was just our width letting us down. Bit weird that, because all three have individually played well. Rose wasn't the answer to that, so hopefully we're going to upgrade on the starting eleven  and sign someone with a bit more physicality, presence and composure on the ball in there. Maybe someone with more defensive central midfield attributes so that one of Hess or more likely Clifton can play alongside Embleton in a more advanced position with one up top, as I think Thomas operates better up front on his own. I don't think Rose deserves the amount of criticism he's received today, and during his stay which includes last season, I don't think he's been anywhere near our worst player in the squad. He'll do a decent job for County having seen them at BP this season. Having said that, quite ready for an upgrade on him.. if we get one..
Posted by: toontown, January 29, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 55
Inconsistent player, witha tendency to get caught in possession when over elaborating with the ball. Too much side ways and backwards passing too and a tendency to give away free kicks outside the box. But an honest pro, tried hard and definitely had better close control ability and talent than most CMs at this level when on his game. Had a good throw on him and  had a cracking game against palace. And of course his penalties were faultless, best I've ever seen by a town player, super cool under pressure. So important in keeping us up last year, and in winning vital points this season.
Probably a deal that is best for both parties (and county)
Doesn't owe us anything, thanks and good luck mitch
Posted by: devs, January 29, 2019, 8:26pm; Reply: 56
Hope Mitch gets Twitter picture right
Should be Ok as long as owner doesn't get involved
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 29, 2019, 9:12pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from toontown
Inconsistent player, witha tendency to get caught in possession when over elaborating with the ball. Too much side ways and backwards passing too and a tendency to give away free kicks outside the box. But an honest pro, tried hard and definitely had better close control ability and talent than most CMs at this level when on his game. Had a good throw on him and  had a cracking game against palace. And of course his penalties were faultless, best I've ever seen by a town player, super cool under pressure. So important in keeping us up last year, and in winning vital points this season.
Probably a deal that is best for both parties (and county)
Doesn't owe us anything, thanks and good luck mitch

Can't disagree with that.
Posted by: pizzzza, January 29, 2019, 9:41pm; Reply: 58
Frees up some £££ presumably for other signings, not good enough but he'll do well in the National League. Wish him well.
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 29, 2019, 10:02pm; Reply: 59
Thanks for the penalties Mitch, and all the best.

Not disappointed with this... likley he pushed for this as he won’t be happy being down the pecking order - judging by his post Palace comments.

I think he’ll undoubtably be earning a decent amount relatively speaking to our wage structure and there’s 3 midfielders in front of him with Welsh, Woolford and now Grayson (who is able to step in) also being good options in the middle.

No need for 7 centre midfielders and he has unfortunately cost us a little this year with slow build up play and the odd howler.

Hopefully free up for incomings.

Leaves that number 8 shirt vacant for a Mr Clifton next year 😉
Posted by: Poojah, January 29, 2019, 10:11pm; Reply: 60
Today's developments make the signing of Joe Grayson last week, which looked strange at the time, make a lot more sense given that he can cover at centre half and centre mid.

When I first heard about Rose leaving I thought that was strange too, but it's more logical the more you think about it. Evidently wasn't going to get a new deal in the summer, it gives the player an extra year's security now (albeit with no guarantee of that being in the league) and it frees up much needed cash to reinforce areas we're arguably weaker in.

Rose, for me, was a steady if unspectacular midfielder but one who contributed massively to us remaining a football league outfit last season. Say what you like about 'a player should be more than a penalty' - without Mitch we might well have been heading to Havant & Waterlooville on Saturday.

Wish him all the best and I hope he helps keep the 'pies up. They've been tragically mismanaged but it would be a travesty for a club with, quite literally, more history than any other to be replaced by a soulless vanity project like Salford or Fylde.
Posted by: chaos33, January 29, 2019, 10:12pm; Reply: 61
Good interview on RH Sportstalk tonight. Seems like a mutual agreement that moving on was best for club and player. Like others, massively grateful for his contribution last season, but feel we need a better player if we want to compete at the top of the division. There would be one or two more I'd say we need to upgrade too. Thanks to the player and Good Luck.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 29, 2019, 10:14pm; Reply: 62
Great penalty taker, helped keep us up last season without a doubt.

A bit ponderous on the ball not the quickest but a good competitor. I think Woolly in the middle gives us much more creativity.
Posted by: oochiad, January 29, 2019, 10:18pm; Reply: 63
Thanks Mitch, you were an absolute ledge for us. Good luck with your future.
Posted by: chaos33, January 29, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Great penalty taker, helped keep us up last season without a doubt.

A bit ponderous on the ball not the quickest but a good competitor. I think Woolly in the middle gives us much more creativity.

Woolford is another one id like us to upgrade.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 29, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from wiggers
Must be in the minority but I really liked his effort and actually thought he should be in the team more often. I wish him all the best and hope his means some new signings are imminent.

With you..the one midfielder we had that could physically match the bigger boys in this division...ably stood in as right back when needed and gave one of the trickiest premiership players a bit of a beasting only a few weeks ago.

Thank you and all the best from me.  
Posted by: GTFCH, January 29, 2019, 11:35pm; Reply: 66
Good luck Mitch. Gutted to see you leave. A player who showed a lot of personality on the pitch and I felt always entertained even if it wasn’t always great! He started doing kick ups in the middle of the pitch at Chesterfield. He showed bottle on numerous occasions from the spot. The one at Exeter I felt summed Mitch up, just strolls on off the bench and slots it. Class.
Posted by: RonMariner, January 30, 2019, 12:48am; Reply: 67
Great though his is from the spot, from what I saw in the Macc game, he is not what we need if we want to challenge at the top end next season.

I hope that this is about freeing up the wage bill for incoming quality. The alternative is too scary to contemplate. Remember last season around this time it looked like we were pretty safe and next thing you know Osbourne, Clements and Jones all departed. What a false economy that turned out.

No, I think we are looking at improving the squad. Certainly happy with the signing of Hendrie, Ring and Ohman. Looks like we are aiming higher.  

Just think we need another goal scorer to work with Thomas up front.

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 30, 2019, 4:56am; Reply: 68
Must say he did a job and filled in when required not as mobile or skilful as some but best penalty taker we have had for years.

Good luck at County Mitch.
Posted by: Davec, January 30, 2019, 4:59am; Reply: 69
Well with this departure and with us playing a 3-5-2 I think it's a safe bet to assume that Jolley has another centre mid lined up, alongside hopefully a striker
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 30, 2019, 7:20am; Reply: 70
Good luck to Mitch did us proud especially last season and he will do a job for Notts in their fight against relegation. No idea if I am correct but I would guess here they are probably paying him more than at Town as well as a signing fee and that will have been a factor plus he will probably get more minutes on the pitch. Certainly goes with my best wishes and will be getting warm applause when I see him next.Thanks

Ps hoping this and other recent departures is going to see a real top signing coming in.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 30, 2019, 7:46am; Reply: 71
Quoted from fleabag1970

Your knowledge of football must be pretty low if you think Mitch Rose was a assett money wise
Posted by: Maringer, January 30, 2019, 10:10am; Reply: 72
Good luck to him at County. I didn't think we'd keep him on after the end of the season as he's just not mobile enough for me and is too slow on the ball, but it's still a surprise to see him leave at this point.

County need to start winning some penalties and his long throw will no doubt be a real asset to them as well.
Posted by: gobby, January 30, 2019, 12:22pm; Reply: 73
Enjoyed watching Mitch Rose, yes he messed up at times but I thought he was quite solid for the majority. Helped us stay up last term and I wish him all the best at County. Good luck lad. 😎
UTMM
Print page generated: May 1, 2024, 5:57am