Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 26, 2019, 10:19pm
We seem to be a magnet for bad officiating, whether you believe it was a red or otherwise today, there were several other dodgy decisions today to follow the bad calls at Lincoln and FGR. What have we done to deserve it?
Posted by: Fishy_fishtails, January 26, 2019, 10:56pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from MuddyWaters
We seem to be a magnet for bad officiating, whether you believe it was a red or otherwise today, there were several other dodgy decisions today to follow the bad calls at Lincoln and FGR. What have we done to deserve it?

I agree. We've been so unlucky just lately. Would like to watch the game back with the officials to see if they stand by all their terrible decisions.
Posted by: Gaffer58, January 26, 2019, 11:03pm; Reply: 2
This is the problem, managers, and Jolley is extremely diplomatic, cannot make any slight criticism of officials at all otherwise they get a fine, it's as good as a dictatorship. If officials had to explain themselves to the paying public they might start getting better.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 26, 2019, 11:32pm; Reply: 3
How the ref never booked their number 9 today for 2 blatant hand balls, which might I add he gave free kicks for, is beyond me....and not to mention the foul on Ohman where Ohman got booked...bloody awful refs we've had recently which are not fit to ref a Sunday league game on Bradley pitches.  
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 26, 2019, 11:41pm; Reply: 4
Officiating in England is broken! Why? Because refs see a career path and ref to an agenda rather than the context of the sides involved and the level they play at.

They support the Baile culture of “if there’s Contact I’m allowed to go down” and they do it for their own agenda in that if they ref every game in the manner of reffing the Premier League fannies we see on the telly each week.

I’m convinced they play to the assessors rather than keep the match flowing. We pay to watch 22 professionals at the moment we get 22 pros and 1 rank amateur week in week out!!

Their inconsistency is criminal.
Posted by: gaz57, January 27, 2019, 12:01am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

I agree. We've been so unlucky just lately. Would like to watch the game back with the officials to see if they stand by all their terrible decisions.

It might be a good idea if every refs report was published after each match.
Posted by: gaz57, January 27, 2019, 12:01am; Reply: 6
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

It might be a good idea if every refs report was published after each match.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, January 27, 2019, 3:42am; Reply: 7
You right Herts. I’ve reffed to a decent level and I like to think I know the game pretty well. The amount of young lads who get pushed through the levels far too fast is alarming. The trouble is the need for decent officials is so great the FAs have to do this. The result is you get refs who have no life or playing experience in charge of games they don’t know enough about.
There are many many great refs out there at all levels, sadly you do t notice them, you only notice the ones who are not so great.
Posted by: marinerrick, January 27, 2019, 6:37am; Reply: 8
I played rugby to a fairly decent standard and the best referees we had were people who used to play. I appreciate that players generally have a larger amount of respect for referees in rugby that in football but as I said the best referees who ex players. They seem to understand the game more. Also VAR or TMO has been used in rugby for years and works. Only used to check decisions and usually the ref requests a relook and is often heard saying I think its x, y or z. Can you just check and the TMO shows the incident on big screen inside ground and it's still the decision of the on field ref that counts. There may be odd occasions that TMO overrules ref or makes suggestions but it generally works. Why can the FA not look at how it is used by the RFU and think that works let's look at changing it.
Posted by: quebec38, January 27, 2019, 7:26am; Reply: 9
I don’t take the standard of officials personally. I think they’re the same across the league week in, week out, which is usually close to terrible. I thought the ref was bad for both sides yesterday but I will say I agreed with the red.
It’s a strange situation that managers can’t comment on the officiating after the match and something that needs to be scrapped. If the ref has had a howler which has had a crucial impact on the result, why shouldn’t he be able to comment in a post match interview?
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 27, 2019, 10:09am; Reply: 10
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
You right Herts. I’ve reffed to a decent level and I like to think I know the game pretty well. The amount of young lads who get pushed through the levels far too fast is alarming. The trouble is the need for decent officials is so great the FAs have to do this. The result is you get refs who have no life or playing experience in charge of games they don’t know enough about.
There are many many great refs out there at all levels, sadly you do t notice them, you only notice the ones who are not so great.

Do these youngsters coming up get trained how to do with "influencing" from managers and players? I'm sure they are easily got at.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 27, 2019, 10:39am; Reply: 11
Seen worse than the referee yesterday. He probably got the big call of the game correct as their forward would have got a shot off before Grayson could cover. Most refs would have copped out and given a yellow and used an arriving just a little too late Grayson as an excuse to not give a red. We'd think red if it was at the other end. Thought we were very lucky to get away with not conceding a pen second half too, many refs would give that one, so in effect his total contribution to us on the day was a positive two points minus losing Davis for a game.

We've had a spell of red cards this season and to be honest I can't really think of one that we could complain about and if Whitmore had made any contact with that lunge second half we'd have had one more too. As a team we're probably not nasty enough but we've also got a composure and decision making problem that needs fixing.

Not saying refs are great and it doesn't help that they're so over-protected from criticism. Maybe a bit more honesty and transparency by publishing the ref's report for every game may calm fan's frustrations down if it can be openly shown that poor refereeing performances aren't being swept under the carpet. More ex-players refereeing would be an improvement as it seems like there's far too many referees who haven't played the game and the letter of the law is used far too often without applying any balance or common sense.
Posted by: bawarmy, January 27, 2019, 11:03am; Reply: 12
They say these things tend to even themselves out in football. If this is true we will get a dubious penalty in each one of our remaining games
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, January 27, 2019, 3:08pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from bawarmy
They say these things tend to even themselves out in football. If this is true we will get a dubious penalty in each one of our remaining games

We have also benefited from poor officiating in recent times too.. Cardwell's penalty at Swindon, Thomas' hand of god goal just to name a couple so I do think over the course of a season or a year they do kind of even out... At least there or there abouts.

IMO of course.
Posted by: RichMariner, January 27, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 14
As a manager I think you're allowed to say, in your opinion, that the referee had a bad game and got certain decisions wrong. They're not immune from criticism.

The one thing you can't say, or suggest, is that they're biased, or that they made a decision to balance another one out. You can't question their integrity. That's when you can get into hot water.
Posted by: Kris2, January 27, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 15
I don't think the ref was better or worse than usual. Sometimes we get more decisions and sometimes we don't. The red was stonewall, if you think we are hard done by over a rugby tackle then you need your head checked. It'd be hard on them if it wasn't given or only a yellow when the player was through on goal. The only luck we got is it was done outside the box.

If one of theirs got sent off for the same thing nobody here would be whinging about the ref.
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 27, 2019, 4:38pm; Reply: 16
The problem I have is they are not consistent through the match or from one game to another.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 28, 2019, 7:13am; Reply: 17
High time Referee`s have to face the media straight after games like Manager`s and players who get consistantly fined for any criticsm even when justified. If the Refereee makes a mistake no matter how bad it`s simply an error and he should come out and explain why he gave his decision. The Fox red card being a case in point and the most aggravating I have seen due to the ref giving a yellow VAR is supposed to be brought in ONLY if the ref has made a clear and obvious mistake so someone sat in a studio over rules him and in effect ends the game after 2 mins of the 90. The Mckeown red not much better in my view it was a 50/50 ball and he was late by a fraction where he was on the pitch 9/10 he would have got a yellow.  
Posted by: Codswede, January 28, 2019, 9:36am; Reply: 18
The free kick near the corner flag that their captain won off Hessenthaler was embarrassing for all involved. In the ref's defence I think the Linesman gave that one.
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 28, 2019, 10:49am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Bigdog
Seen worse than the referee yesterday. He probably got the big call of the game correct as their forward would have got a shot off before Grayson could cover. Most refs would have copped out and given a yellow and used an arriving just a little too late Grayson as an excuse to not give a red. We'd think red if it was at the other end. Thought we were very lucky to get away with not conceding a pen second half too, many refs would give that one, so in effect his total contribution to us on the day was a positive two points minus losing Davis for a game.

We've had a spell of red cards this season and to be honest I can't really think of one that we could complain about and if Whitmore had made any contact with that lunge second half we'd have had one more too. As a team we're probably not nasty enough but we've also got a composure and decision making problem that needs fixing.

Not saying refs are great and it doesn't help that they're so over-protected from criticism. Maybe a bit more honesty and transparency by publishing the ref's report for every game may calm fan's frustrations down if it can be openly shown that poor refereeing performances aren't being swept under the carpet. More ex-players refereeing would be an improvement as it seems like there's far too many referees who haven't played the game and the letter of the law is used far too often without applying any balance or common sense.

I'm still fuming over Thomas getting sent off at Newport for the egregious crime of having his foot headbutted by a Newport player coming from behind him while trying to control a knee high ball.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 29, 2019, 8:28am; Reply: 20
Apart from our blatant handball goal at home recently. Works both ways though no excuse for some of the awful officiating we’ve had.
Posted by: devon mariner, January 30, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 21
To be fair to Davies. If the referee and linos had been watching there were 2 handballs in the build up.
Posted by: devon mariner, January 30, 2019, 5:42pm; Reply: 22
To be fair to Davies. If the referee and linos had been watching there were 2 handballs in the build up.
Print page generated: May 3, 2024, 1:25pm