Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Chrisblor, January 22, 2019, 3:17pm
Quoted Text
Grimsby Town Football Club can confirm that it has reached an agreement with Preston North End to terminate the loan for midfielder, Ben Pringle to allow him to join another club.

Pringle signed a season-long-loan agreement with The Mariners in August 2018, going on to make a total of 18 appearances in all competitions.

Pringle will now join fellow Sky Bet League Two side, Tranmere Rovers for the remainder of the 18/19 season.

We would like to thank Ben for all his efforts during his time at the club and wish him all the best for the future.

[url]https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2019/january/pringle-loan-terminated/[/url]

This doesn't really make any sense to me
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, January 22, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 1
Another one incoming?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 22, 2019, 3:22pm; Reply: 2
His body language never convinced me that he had never quite signed up for Mariners.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 22, 2019, 3:25pm; Reply: 3
Can only assume he lives in the North west and like many before him is unsettled away from home.

Alternatively does not meet MJ’s requirements and we have a replacement coming in.

A player who divided opinion but nobody can argue we will miss his dead ball kicks, think Norwood will be rubbing his hands.
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 22, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from chipsandgravy
His body language never convinced me that he had never quite signed up for Mariners.

Jesus. My grammer! You know what i meant though!!
Posted by: Ipswin, January 22, 2019, 3:27pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from ClarkyGTFC
Another one incoming?

Unless Jon Nolan is on his way back (I wish) then I am disappointed and surprised at this

Posted by: Hagrid, January 22, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 6
Gutted. I liked pringle a lot
Posted by: AdamHaddock, January 22, 2019, 3:29pm; Reply: 7
Suggests with Ring we're going for wingbacks? Frees up money for a striker I suppose
Posted by: Grantley, January 22, 2019, 3:32pm; Reply: 8
3-5-2 is here to stay then.

I liked him for his bit of class but he was incredibly slow for an attacker.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 22, 2019, 3:33pm; Reply: 9
I wanted to see more of Pringle he was very moorish.
Posted by: Southwark Mariner, January 22, 2019, 3:35pm; Reply: 10
bit unexpected
Posted by: TAGG, January 22, 2019, 3:36pm; Reply: 11
Well drunk off with losing him.
I think it’s a backwards step losing good footballers like him.
😤😤😤
Posted by: grimps, January 22, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 12
Never trust a ginger
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 22, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 13
My bet? This is more an off-field issue. The lad wants to be back near the bright lights.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, January 22, 2019, 3:38pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Can only assume he lives in the North west and like many before him is unsettled away from home.

Alternatively does not meet MJ’s requirements and we have a replacement coming in.

A player who divided opinion but nobody can argue we will miss his dead ball kicks, think Norwood will be rubbing his hands.

Think you have called this correctly. Either unsettled or incoming replacement.
Posted by: GrimRob, January 22, 2019, 3:47pm; Reply: 15
My bet? This is more an off-field issue. The lad wants to be back near the bright lights.

A floodlit game at FGR would have suited him then
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 22, 2019, 3:57pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from grimps
Never trust a ginger

Why not?

Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 22, 2019, 3:58pm; Reply: 17
I suspect an incoming - notice that Burnley gave a long term deal to a young winger yesterday - wishful thinking!
Posted by: Mikey_345, January 22, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 18
His contracts up at PNE so he’s obviously trying to get himself fixed up for his future.

If he doesn’t see it or we don’t see it with us then this makes sense.

Shame as I thought he could really be a good player here. Hopefully frees something up for incomings as M.J. will have a bit of balancing to do with the budget.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 22, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 19
Annoyed me that he'd come here over weight and unfit, gets himself match fit them at the first opportunity says "see ya laters"...left a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest....
Posted by: devs, January 22, 2019, 4:01pm; Reply: 20
Combo of things I would think
Not quite done the business for us
Posted by: Tommy, January 22, 2019, 4:04pm; Reply: 21
Makes perfect sense as he doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 system that it looks like we're setting up for properly now. There just isn't a position on the pitch he is suited to in that system.

Had a bit of an impact for us, with good quality on the ball.

I don't hold the fact that he has no pace against him, certainly not as a criticism, because at the end of the day you can either run fast or you can't. There's not much you can do about that. And I think at times people mistake being lazy with just not being physically able to run around at 100mph all the time.

No bad feeling towards him but certainly no loss either now it's onto 352.
Posted by: buckstown, January 22, 2019, 4:12pm; Reply: 22
Interesting that the official site says we reached an agreement with PNE. Maybe they offered us a few quid and MJ wasn't overly impressed anyway
Posted by: forza ivano, January 22, 2019, 4:17pm; Reply: 23
why do we have to be so negative about it?

Combo of things I would think
Not quite done the business for us

this from devs, and tommy's posts probably hit the nail on the head
be positive - it helped him out and helped us out when we were struggling (his performance at northampton helped us enormously to a morale boosting result)
i suspect that mj has got a replacement in mind who he feels will be another step forward, as pringle was a step forward when he came in
Posted by: Mariner_501, January 22, 2019, 4:24pm; Reply: 24
Good player but always got the impression he wasn’t too arsed. Work ethic wasn’t the best and bottled out of challenges at times. Technically very good for this level though
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 22, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 25
Shame. Looked a talented player and would’ve liked to have seen him play more. Very comfortable on the ball and the best crosser we’ve had at the club for years.

Imagine we were paying a good chunk of his big wages.
Limits our options when we ditch 352 for the millionth time.
Hopefully we will see some quality replacements.
Posted by: wiggers, January 22, 2019, 4:37pm; Reply: 26
Not too fussed he’s moving on, good on the ball with a nice left foot but didn’t looked bothered half the time to me. Hopefully we have someone coming in to replace him. Would think a lot of this decision is down to location on his part.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 22, 2019, 4:41pm; Reply: 27
Is it possible PNE a bit grumpy that he not been starting every game and Tranmere have promised he'll get more game time?

That and/or the other stuff mentioned.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 22, 2019, 4:47pm; Reply: 28
I suspect he has left Preston for good already, but has gone to Tranmere as he won't be getting a new contract with us..  I expect we had to ask Preston as we was paying a portion of his wages and he was contract to "us" until end of the season...
Posted by: denni266, January 22, 2019, 4:48pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Annoyed me that he'd come here over weight and unfit, gets himself match fit them at the first opportunity says "see ya laters"...left a bitter taste in my mouth to be honest....

Agree totally with this
Posted by: ginnywings, January 22, 2019, 5:04pm; Reply: 30
Whether he jumped or was pushed doesn't really matter. Talented player, but just not mobile enough for either League 2 or the way MJ wants the team to play, which is looking like wing backs and high energy. Needs a different formation and players to do the things he can't around him. If you do that, he has to produce goals and chances to earn a place. I liked him but he's one piece of the jigsaw that looks like it doesn't quite fit. He brought a bit of footballing nous, but ultimately didn't reach the heights i was hoping he would.

Good luck to him all the same.
Posted by: Garth, January 22, 2019, 5:06pm; Reply: 31
Too much of a side, back and across the field passer for me, the style of team that Jolly wants would make him redundant most of the time, no worries from me.
If I had to choose between an experience player like him and young Harry Clifton I would choose Harry speaks volumes for me, I do think however he will suit Tranmere in more ways than one
Posted by: fishboyUTM, January 22, 2019, 5:23pm; Reply: 32
Very disappointed to see him move on. He's a very good and clever footballer. You need many attributes within a team to be successful. You don't need a goalkeeper and ten runners, Pringle is a technical footballer with a wand of a left foot and an intelligent footballing brain. I don't know why he has left as the club hasn't said, so I must speculate.

I don't necessarily buy the argument that we are now playing 3-5-2 and he won't fit into the formation. We've tried that formation at least a couple of times and it hasn't worked, we've had to change back. His delivery from dead balls and in play is levels ahead what we have. We'll miss the balance he gives us. I think there was more to come and it looks like Tranmere may benefit as he'll leave us a much fitter player than when he arrived.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, January 22, 2019, 5:37pm; Reply: 33
Dunno.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, January 22, 2019, 5:38pm; Reply: 34
Disappointed, best footballer at the club
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 22, 2019, 5:41pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from chipsandgravy

Overall I would have to agree, when I first saw him I thought he was a bit lightweight  but then when he had a run in the side I thought he became quite an important part of the team, at Northampton I thought he had an outstanding game.

However in recent weeks I thought he was going backwards and his contribution in some games was lacking.

Good luck to the guy (apart from when we play Tranmere) and let's hope we can add to the side with someone who may take on defenders a bit more.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 22, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 36
Big surprise. I get the formation thing, but we can't be planning on playing it for every minute of every game for the rest of the season. But then again, it'd be a big chunk of wage bill sat on the bench - I hope this saving will be used to bring in someone else.
Posted by: ska face, January 22, 2019, 6:01pm; Reply: 37
Is he going to be here next year? Very doubtful. So look at it as a positive that every pound saved on his wage is a pound that could go towards someone that might be a regular in next year’s squad.

Let’s be honest - were not going up and unlikely to go down, so Jolley’s doing the right thing in getting sorted sooner rather than later.
Posted by: monkeyboy, January 22, 2019, 6:31pm; Reply: 38
As my previous thread i never see what was that great about him tbh.
He could put a cross in but the left side was always weak when he played with Fox having a torrid time trying to do the defensive work his self, now Fox i am sorry to lose. 100% from the lad.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, January 22, 2019, 6:47pm; Reply: 39
related questions;   can Max Wright play wing back?  how long is he at Boston for?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, January 22, 2019, 7:25pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from ginnywings
Whether he jumped or was pushed doesn't really matter. Talented player, but just not mobile enough for either League 2 or the way MJ wants the team to play, which is looking like wing backs and high energy. Needs a different formation and players to do the things he can't around him. If you do that, he has to produce goals and chances to earn a place. I liked him but he's one piece of the jigsaw that looks like it doesn't quite fit. He brought a bit of footballing nous, but ultimately didn't reach the heights i was hoping he would.

Good luck to him all the same.

I was always waiting for him to come good and apart from the odd periods here and there I dont think he did when he got fit. Like i said earlier his body language in games suggested to me that he has still hasnt "fallen back in love with the game" and maybe that was even more evident in training. Good luck to him though.

Posted by: RoboCod, January 22, 2019, 7:26pm; Reply: 41
I thought against Macc he was rather lethargic, as Ring grew in confidence he and Pringle were almost stepping on each others toes. Let Ring develop and forage forward and he can make that side of the pitch his own.
Pringle...almost a little too much on the luxury player border and replaceable for me.
Posted by: rancido, January 22, 2019, 7:56pm; Reply: 42
I think some of the posters on here are reading too much into this. His contract is up at PNE in the summer and he's getting towards the latter stages of his career. MJ is starting to get a feel for what is required in this league and possibly feels that some of the players he brought in during the summer are not , in hindsight, what is required to take us forward. Most of the managers we have had over the last 10 years or so have either experienced playing at our level or managed at this level and as such were fully aware of most of the players on " the circuit". MJ didn't have that kind of experience and in a way was " feeling his way in the dark". MJ has shown that he has faith in young players who can develop as opposed to more mature players who can only decline. He couldn't make wholesale changes in the summer so he did keep some experience in the likes of Collins and Woolford but I should imagine they will be gone in the summer. I liked Pringle but felt he was a bit hit and miss and never seemed to support his full back as much as I would have liked.
Posted by: gaz57, January 22, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 43
That's the problem with Pringles you just start enjoying them and they run out. UTMM
Posted by: Croxton, January 22, 2019, 8:15pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from ex-merseymariner
related questions;   can Max Wright play wing back?  how long is he at Boston for?

Until end March I believe. He's served his time at Scarborough and Boston. Bags of energy and tons of assists. Attacks the box, wins free kicks and crosses with either foot. Better 15-20 min for town than 90 at Boston.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 22, 2019, 9:37pm; Reply: 45
Surely the end of the season?
Posted by: TwoLeftFeet, January 22, 2019, 9:56pm; Reply: 46
I liked Pringle think he's an intelligent player apart from Embleton we haven't got much in the way of creativity in the team.

You watch him be ace for Tranmere..
Posted by: Croxton, January 23, 2019, 12:33am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Abdul19
Surely the end of the season?

OS says 'until March' whatever that means!
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, January 23, 2019, 5:01am; Reply: 48
Pringle is a talented player but our system does not suit him he is not your box to box workhorse more a playmaker.

We base our game on defending deep and trying to hit a team on the break with pace???

That is not Pringles game he is clearly happiest in midfield with time to make a pass or cross drifting about although Jolley tried changing him from side to side never felt Pringle showed he was happy being asked to defend.

Probably a luxury player we can't play for he will do well in a better-organised side.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 23, 2019, 7:20am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Tommy
Makes perfect sense as he doesn't fit into the 3-5-2 system that it looks like we're setting up for properly now. There just isn't a position on the pitch he is suited to in that system.

Had a bit of an impact for us, with good quality on the ball.

I don't hold the fact that he has no pace against him, certainly not as a criticism, because at the end of the day you can either run fast or you can't. There's not much you can do about that. And I think at times people mistake being lazy with just not being physically able to run around at 100mph all the time.

No bad feeling towards him but certainly no loss either now it's onto 352.

That`s how I saw it good footballer with a good delivery but obviously short of pace and this led to our fullbacks being stretched.
Posted by: diehardmariner, January 23, 2019, 9:17am; Reply: 50
There's no doubt that Pringle is technically an excellent footballer, he truly does have a wand of a left peg.  But I'm not convinced he's really a creative player.  If he isn't delivering pin-point set-pieces and crosses, he doesn't really do much more in terms of creativity, not compared to someone like Embleton.

Slightly disappointed as I think he's got enough attributes to be an asset for any side but I can't for the life of me see how he would fit in with a wingback system, equally so Jolley likes energy and bundles of it - I don't buy into this suggestion that Pringle is lazy, but he doesn't have the energy of Clifton or Hessenthaler.  

By all accounts the lad Grayson delivers a mean set-piece so hopefully that won't be missed and as others have said it will probably free up wages for someone else to come in who can make a more telling contribution.

I would be amazed if Preston really give a crap about what's going on with him.  He was training with their youth team before coming here and is out of contract at the end of the season.  Most likely the lad is looking to get himself set-up for next season, can't fault him for that.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 23, 2019, 12:35pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from TwoLeftFeet
I liked Pringle think he's an intelligent player apart from Embleton we haven't got much in the way of creativity in the team.

You watch him be ace for Tranmere..

THIS  ??)

Print page generated: May 15, 2024, 8:26am